• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT8| DOTA Asian Championship (1/27-2/9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acinixys

Yup, I have a fundamental problem with the bolded. The team from the winner's bracket plays less games, true. But the team losing the winner's bracket final only plays one more series yet gets a second chance to play. I don't think that's fair, which means failure for a tournament format.

Anyway, it's a topic that applies to a lot of other games as well. I remember the discussions about MLGs shitty tournament format in SC2 back in the day. :lol

Why cant they use sports rules

4 groups with 4 teams each

Play some games for points and top 2 of each group goes through untill we have a 1v1 finals

Like the soccer world cup

Quesa

Play some games for points and top 2 of each group goes through untill we have a 1v1 finals

I think the gaming world has an aversion to single elim. I know I do.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Reddit has a post of the unpicked/unpopular heroes from this tournament:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2uiun4/unpicked_heroes_from_dac/

About 1/4 of the hero pool has been either unpicked or picked 2 times or less.

funnily enough all of the heroes i hate are unpicked

what more sign that you are the noobest of noobs

[edit] i mean some of them i hate but i understand why they aren't picked. huskar is like pub champion but vs. any team who knows what they're doing he's pointless.

Quesa

funnily enough all of the heroes i hate are unpicked

what more sign that you are the noobest of noobs

tumblr_lnmkkrHbN91qfu47lo1_500.gif

wait, is that an AD homage?

I wouldn't know.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
although there's a strong sense of vindication in my calling shadow demon totally worthless and then him getting picked only once

I prefer the Champions League format more (double round robin for several groups). I think its more fair to the teams and enjoyable for the viewers.

For the finals I like the BO5 no advantage if the UB team had at least on day free over the LB team.

Maybe a better finals format is to have two BO3 over two days?

Kard8p3

goddamn they wont let you play with -override_vpk anymore.

How the fuck am I suppose to see rubiline jugg zzzzz game is fucking broken

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Reddit has a post of the unpicked/unpopular heroes from this tournament:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2uiun4/unpicked_heroes_from_dac/

About 1/4 of the hero pool has been either unpicked or picked 2 times or less.

tournament isn't over yet and besides this always happens at LANs and will continue to always happen regardless of actual balance--the pro scene is just as trendy as pubs, pro's will mimic each other to death and aside from some pre-planned strats and the first day or two of a LAN, they won't really experiment and risk $$$

75% of the hero pool seeing some good play over 3-4 days is really fkn good

fallout

tournament isn't over yet and besides this always happens at LANs and will continue to always happen regardless of actual balance--the pro scene is just as trendy as pubs, pro's will mimic each other to death and aside from some pre-planned strats and the first day or two of a LAN, they won't really experiment and risk $$$

It'd be interesting to know what the pick/ban spread was. If 25% of the hero pool is ignored after the group stage, I think that's fine. What I'm more curious about is the amount of diversity in those that are picked/banned.

I haven't been able to watch a ton of matches, but so far the hero pool seems to be pretty diverse with some mainstays.

Big Dog

fuck me i also had custom item icons that are 9999x better than the default goddamnit.

ppdsalt

Man I know that feel. I know the biggest change will be when phase boots get mirrored to face the direction of all the other boots now. That was one of the greatest accidents that the item mod gave me by not flipping that image when Valve changed it.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Episode 14 of Nigma's Shitter Digest is legitimately one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

I am not even kidding I have been watching this video for almost a half hour at this point because I keep having to buffer. I made the mistake of going back to re-watch a portion of it so I had to start buffering from that spot again. What is even going on at dailymotion?

Epix

When 4 out of every 5 wins are lost due to poor network conditions...you stop caring about mmr.

Literally lost another game that was 12s from ending due to network. Oh valve.

Quesa

Win a game, nothing happens

Start losing a game real bad, servers die and it doesn't count

load into game, dced from server

shit random, someone else abandons and game doesn't count

this game is looking out for me

Gav47

I am not even kidding I have been watching this video for almost a half hour at this point because I keep having to buffer. I made the mistake of going back to re-watch a portion of it so I had to start buffering from that spot again. What is even going on at dailymotion?

Yeah it flat out refuses to play in 1080p for more than 10 secs for me. Delaymotion in effect.

Kard8p3

holy fuck im so goddamn angry att is the worst fucking internet provider in the goddamn world.

i got an abanbdon because my internet died when someone used the fucking mircowave holy shit

and this isnt even the first time this week im going to KMS.

It damn sure is. A Leeg tournament of this sort would be lucky to get 30% usage of the hero pool.

Speaking of which...server issues for us in the US? Time to boot up Leeg or Diablo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom