• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOTA 2 |OT8| DOTA Asian Championship (1/27-2/9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FACE

Banned
Everytime I read "supports have no late game impact" I instantly think "buy euls/force staff". Maybe it's because I'm an ass.

tip for everyone who doesn't enjoy supp: play heroes who need no farm, but naturally get it like sk/jak/lina/ogre (from farming, pushing, or killing)

bbd23

played first oracle game. people on my team really dont understand the concept of "hey you're invis do as much damage before you die..you might just live!"

I had a void who would always back when i ulted him. drove me mental.

played first oracle game. people on my team really dont understand the concept of "hey you're invis do as much damage before you die..you might just live!"

You guys remember when Bane was released?

Now THOSE were some bad games. Nobody understood how nightmare worked. At all.

Naga picks was also pretty awful when she launched.

inkls

When you are buying wards and smoke on CD every single time, your networth is at the mercy of the team. This is doubly true when playing against any sort of invis hero that requires sentries. Any gold you get beyond that is coming from towers and teamfights that you happen to survive. It's easy to say "go find some farm", but in games where you are behind early and T1s are going down, safe farm is at a premium and should be left for the cores.

For sure, but you control the early game, how did it come to this? You're making a gamble that those items will pay out by buying them though. I had a game as techies where their mirana made life hell for me, she kept buying sentries, she bought gems nonstop (I had 4 at the end in my stash), and kept scouting high ground/rosh pit with arrow to make sure no mines were there. They won, I'd argue that the investment was worth it even if it was only to counter a single hero. How many times have rikkis snowballed out of control because early sentries weren't deemed necessary?

EDIT: can we also give an award to 4asc for having a player called mynuts? Its a bit childish but I find it hilarious when the caster go "my nuts doing work" or "amazing play by my nuts".

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
ogre is prob my fave hero in the game

support wk is just absolutely awful to play though. your job is to stun one person at the start of the fight and then die. so boring.

Satch

Banned
playing support sucks

what you need to do is:
1) pick lycan
2) buy wards for wherever you're going
3) ignore your team

OR

1) pick visage
2) kill literally everyone
3) you're rich bitch

Quesa

No name change yet. Moody pls :<

I swear I read a post just like this earlier this year or last. Agreed though.

Honestly I think the reason people think supports are underpowered are because they have their biggest impact early, but most supports waste their potential sapping xp as they do nothing but stack/pull and occasionally harass. Then twenty minutes past, they lose efficacy, and wonder why their team lost them the game. Good supports serve a win on a silver platter for carries. As people have said, everyone bows down to cores like black, burning, and rtz as the greatest when they should have posters of zai and lanm on their walls instead. Teams are looking for supports because fewer people know that support isn't a synonym for "backline player," it's another word for Bouncer.

Demoli

Man, i just have the worst of luck when playing ember. I always do good enough, but somehow always lose.

Oh well, at least hero is fun to play.

Quesa

Man, i just have the worst of luck when playing ember. I always do good enough, but somehow always lose.

Oh well, at least hero is fun to play.

I recently had a shit game with him because I randomed but even deprived of farm he's fun.

Razzer

No name change yet. Moody pls :<

I swear I read a post just like this earlier this year or last. Agreed though.

Honestly I think the reason people think supports are underpowered are because they have their biggest impact early, but most supports waste their potential sapping xp as they do nothing but stack/pull and occasionally harass. Then twenty minutes past, they lose efficacy, and wonder why their team lost them the game. Good supports serve a win on a silver platter for carries. As people have said, everyone bows down to cores like black, burning, and rtz as the greatest when they should have posters of zai and lanm on their walls instead. Teams are looking for supports because fewer people know that support isn't a synonym for "backline player," it's another word for Bouncer.

I disagree that people don't appreciate pro supports, especially these days. Zai gets way more recognition here than RTZ, as can be seen from the posts during Dreamhack, and Fy and Fenrir get praised as gods more than anyone, fy in particular.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
2nd Continuum has started for the event, and Zeus was instantly sent to the Graveyard. The PA crit really did him in.

inkls

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1063849812

Most stressful game ever. Techies delayed the game so much and it took half of the game for bs to finally kill PA. We finally won the last teamfight and went for the gg push mid

Alch and PA bought back and tp'ed into our base and got megas which lost them the game because that gave us enough time to destroy their t4 and end it.

Alch and techies were so salty. Bunch of idiots.

Haven't read it, but while I agree in general that TI winners generally out draft and out macro-game their opponents (rather than just outplaying them on a micro level) Akke and EGM were so far ahead of the other support duos during TI3 that it was disgusting.

**Wait, they seem to think that Alliance was some sort of dark horse. WTF? Everyone in their right mind knew they were a favourite going into TI3. Both on a skill and strategic level.

Alright, I've skimmed over most of it. It's pretty well written and has a lot of great points. However, I still think it's odd that they want to present Alliance as a team that won despite [something], when in fact Alliance just had the current meta figured out perfectly, same as Newbee at TI4.

just in the ~2 months I've been watching

aui & zai >>>>>>

they're at least fun to watch because they do shit the entire game and often have really clutch or innovative plays

also they seem nice which helps

just in the ~2 months I've been watching

aui & zai >>>>>>

they're at least fun to watch because they do shit the entire game and often have really clutch or innovative plays

also they seem nice which helps

2 of the most mechanically profficient supports to date. They're tons of fun to watch. Aui's visage in particular.
I'm still bummed about meracle not being at the Summit. Apparently he's shy, but I'd like to see how he is (not to mention watching him play)

Razzer

I saw that analysis and dismissed it after reading the opening as I disagree with the notion that Alliance were not as skilled, or not the faves in any way. But if the actual analysis itself is good I'll give it a read.

I saw that analysis and dismissed it after reading the opening as I disagree with the notion that Alliance were not as skilled, or not the faves in any way. But if the actual analysis itself is good I'll give it a read.

yeah, the analysis is good. There are a few sections that I think tackle false premises, but for the most part he stays on target and really explains why alliance were able to dominate the way they did.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I disagree with the notion that Alliance were not as skilled

What else do you attribute their post-TI3 decline to? Their favored strategy was nerfed and the tech they pioneered assimilated by other teams. Once every player's obviously narrower and weaker hero pool was exposed, they fell off the grid. All the championship players are struggling to stay relevant with the exception of s4, who seems to have had the most potential as a player all along.

What else do you attribute their post-TI3 decline to? Their favored strategy was nerfed and the tech they pioneered assimilated by other teams. Once every player's obviously narrower and weaker hero pool was exposed, they fell off the grid. All the championship players are struggling to stay relevant with the exception of s4, who seems to have had the most potential as a player all along.

The meta shifted VERY strongly out of their favour and they got left behind. That isn't so much a skill thing as a team cohesion and playstyle issue. Additionally, they got studied so hard that everyone knew how to beat them. VG at the end of TI4 had the same thing happen to them. They weren't totally outclassed skill-wise, but Newbee had a better understanding of the meta and studied VG so effectively that there wasn't much they could do.
It took way longer for teams to figure out alliance, though, because their way of playing was so different at a basic level, as that analysis said.

**It's also worth noting that I don't think a single team has had the meta so figured out and then was subsequently "nerfed" so hard. either the patch immediately following TI3 or the one after that was a patch that many people viewed as a direct nerf to alliance.

Razzer

Well, skill levels are not static. I would wager that even the likes of current Navi could beat TI3 Alliance, even if it was on the TI3 patch. I don't think that Bulldog in particular has kept up with the general growth in skill since then, so modern day alliance are indeed not as skilled as other teams. Other things such as meta etc have already been mentioned.

In fact, now that I think about it, the hero pool notion isn't even that relevant besides Bulldog and maybe EGM. Akke plays lots of heroes well, and Loda is only rivaled by Fear in the west in his ability to play pretty much any carry to a top tier standard, even if he doesn't decimate on anyone like say an RTZ Lycan.

Edit: Oh, and I should also be clear I don't think Alliance were more skilled either. But that opening makes it seem like they were miles behind.

Well, skill levels are not static. I would wager that even the likes of current Navi could beat TI3 Alliance, even if it was on the TI3 patch. I don't think that Bulldog in particular has kept up with the general growth in skill since then, so modern day alliance are indeed not as skilled as other teams. Other things such as meta etc have already been mentioned.

In fact, now that I think about it, the hero pool notion isn't even that relevant besides Bulldog and maybe EGM. Akke plays lots of heroes well, and Loda is only rivaled by Fear in the west in his ability to play pretty much any carry to a top tier standard, even if he doesn't decimate on anyone like say an RTZ Lycan.

Edit: Oh, and I should also be clear I don't think Alliance were more skilled either. But that opening makes it seem like they were miles behind.

I think Bulldog is the only person that has a really limited support pool. EGM plays a small variety of heroes, but I think it's more by choice than necessity.

Aselith

Games have gotten considerably worse in low pro, I got 6 games

Game 1 We are up 0-5 on kills and things are going very well when our mid starts feeding couriers and proceeds to feed courier for the rest of the game.

Game 2 our sniper goes offlane with my weaver and we have two supports in bot sniper proceeds to stat intentionally feeding over and over.

Game 3 a Tiny and Beastmaster combo they come to the jungle where I am on Lone Druid and create a hawk on the little hill by the first camp throw me to it and then feed the courier over and over so I can't get a TP scroll.

3 more games :/

Newwwp I have 6 now. I think they put me on the hill too long and I abandoned lol. What a fucking nightmare.

Aselith

I got booted to low priority because I've been having connection issues lately and got too many abandons. My internet will just cut out for like a minute then come back on for 20 seconds then go out over and over again at random times. It's good times.

Satch

Banned
http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/1063849812

Most stressful game ever. Techies delayed the game so much and it took half of the game for bs to finally kill PA. We finally won the last teamfight and went for the gg push mid

Alch and PA bought back and tp'ed into our base and got megas which lost them the game because that gave us enough time to destroy their t4 and end it.

Alch and techies were so salty. Bunch of idiots.

http://gfycat.com/UnlinedRepulsiveAlbertosaurus#

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom