• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hex: Armies of Myth |OT| Fun2Play MMOTCG

Ryuukan

QJrx40E.png

Set 3 for Hex: Shards of Fate currently in public beta
Release date: July 21, 2015 1pm PDT

Update 2: launch date and time changed above

Armies of Myth is the third set of cards for Hex: Shards of Fate. The different races and factions of the world of Entrath are the core of Hex’s story. Where Sets 1 and 2 focused on Humans, Dwarves, Shin’hare, and Orcs, this set is mostly about the Necrotic, Vennen, Elves, and Coyotles.

Please see this page for more information on the races of Hex

New features: Gauntlet, Chest opening, and Extended Art

Gauntlet is the new form of asynchronous tournament play. As an alternative to having to wait for formal tournament queues and rounds to finish, now you can queue for Sealed or Constructed Gauntlet games with a commitment of only one round at a time. Great for people who love tournaments but are unable to dedicate a full 2-3 hour block to play them to completion. Also nice for Hex Twitch streamers to avoid large pockets of downtime in between rounds. As with Sealed tournaments, you keep all the cards you open in Sealed Gauntlet.

Please see this page for more information on the Gauntlet

The long awaited opening of chests will be added with the Armies of Myth client patch. A chest is an item you receive on your account every time you open a pack of cards. Chests have rarity levels and are unique to each set. Chest contents include alternate art cards, sleeves, equipment, and more. As a side note, over 300 new pieces of equipment are coming with this update as well.

Please watch this video that is narrated by the head of Hex Entertainment, Cory Jones, to see what chest opening is like inside the client

Extended Art is unlocked on cards in your collection via Stardust. Stardust is an item you can purchase with the in-game only currency, or acquire it via Wheels of Fate rolls, chest opening, or playing in the Frost Ring Arena. Very important note that shows Hex Entertainment’s level of commitment to their fans: All Wheels of Fate rolls that would’ve earned Stardust will be retroactively distributed to players after the patch.

Please watch this video that is narrated by the head of Hex Entertainment, Cory Jones, to see how the Extended Art process works

New keywords: Shift, Prophecy, and Allegiance

Deathmask%20Assailant.png

Shift is a keyword primarily on Necrotic troops. This is a play on the lore of this pseudo-undead race, where they gain powers by inserting Hex gems into their bodies. Shift lets you permanently move a power to another troop. The usefulness in the above example would be Shifting it’s power to a troop with much higher attack that you would play on a later turn.
Here is an article explaining in more detail

Wakuna%20Crowfeather.png

Prophecy is the Coyotle race mechanic. Divination is a big theme of theirs but this does not really let you see what is coming, instead it makes the future better. When you play a troop with Prophecy, it will often increase the stats or give a power to the next troop in your deck. Some Prophecy cards will interact with Actions too.

Sepulchra%20Crypt%20Dust.png

Allegiance is used across all the races that Armies of Myth focuses on. This keyword gives you an additional benefit when the card is played if you have a troop of that race in play or even in hand.

New Cards: Over 250

Windsinger,%20Master%20of%20the%20Hunt.png
Phenteo%20the%20Brood%20Priest.png

Prismatic (multishard) cards with a new border have been added.

Please see this page on hextcg.com for a full card list.

New Champions:

Cressida.png
Zorzym%20of%20Korru.png

20 new champions are added with this content patch. They will be added to the present roster for Constructed tournaments and used exclusively during Draft and Sealed tournaments.

Please see this page on hextcg.com for a full champion list.

Event: Release Celebration – Friday 10AM PST, July 17th to Monday 10AM PST, July 20th

BrightmoonBraveAAx450.png
DuplicitousDukeAAx450.png

Players will be able to obtain two exclusive alternate art cards from the new set during this release event. Anyone participating in a draft or sealed tournament or Gauntlet will receive a Brightmoon Brave AA. Winning a Duplicitous Duke AA requires one of the following:

1. Gauntlet: Get 5 Wins in a single Sealed Gauntlet Run (you must finish a Gauntlet run during the event).
  2. 8-person Queue: Top 1 is awarded Duplicitous Duke AA (Single-Elim Competitive Draft, and Swiss Draft)
  3. Daily Sealed Tournaments: 4-0 and 3-1 will win the Duplicitous Duke AA

FAQ:

This thread is about the Armies of Myth set launch and the new client features along with it. Please avoid any discussion regarding the lawsuit involving neanderthal paper card game companies. Please create a new thread of your own if you wish to talk about it.

Is this game really free to play?
Yes and sort of. To elaborate, you receive a starter deck with a new account along with some additional cards and in-game currency, gold, through playing a few rounds against the AI. Currently, the only PvE portion of the game that is live is the Frost Ring Arena, which is completely free to play and is pretty much the only source of gold currently. The “sort of” part is in regards to the PvE campaign of Hex, which is slated to be the next major content patch later this year. PvE dungeons will be added that are far more intuitive than Frost Ring Arena and will be free to play as well.

But I want to draft! I love drafting and I want to do it for free no matter what the time sink is.
The Hex community has demonstrated creating a new account and running 10 successful rounds of Frost Ring Arena to earn enough gold to buy packs off the auction house or trade for platinum (real money currency) to be able to draft for free. Gold is in high demand due to having many uses even to players with huge collections. You can easily find either packs on the Auction House selling for gold instead of platinum or reputable players in chat willing to trade platinum for gold. Also remember that everything you draft, you keep. So if your only intention is limited play, you can sell anything you pulled that has value to reduce future arena runs.

Where is PvE? Where are my dungeons to crawl?
As stated above, the PvE campaign will be the next major feature patch which should be out by the end of the year. More information about it should follow in the coming months after Armies of Myth’s launch.

Useful Links:
Hex registration and download
Hex thread in Gaming Community (OP is woefully abandoned and out of date)
Five Shards - A Hex community-run site with great content as well as a community organized tournament series
A list of Twitch streamers on the official Hextcg Twitch Channel - These guys are all from the Hex community and do a wonderful job of showing off the game. Watching a few drafts can really help you improve your play, especially when a new set launches.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Gauntlet!
Chests!
Set 3!

Hopefully this will make things a bit more lively

Luigi87

Wow, Set 3...
Okay so I backed this back when, but barely played it, and I never got into Magic either so I'm not that great with deck building, but I do want to play this.

Any tips regarding on how to Draft and not suck?

Poetic

Wow, Set 3...
Okay so I backed this back when, but barely played it, and I never got into Magic either so I'm not that great with deck building, but I do want to play this.

Any tips regarding on how to Draft and not suck?

I'd recommend watching some of the streamers on twitch, they pretty much only draft. Watching others will help.

Infamousneo also has a how to draft series on his YouTube channel. I'd like it but on mobile ATM.

Arrage

Banned
Card design is all over the place. Some artworks have realistic surfaces while others look cartoony. Also what is up with the nasty texture around the card. The borders of some of the cards take more attention than the contents of the card.

While some might say that it is not a problem, you kind of have to stare at these cards all the time...

Narroo

It's neat that the Coyote people are one of the good guys and get along with the humans, while the Rabbits are crazy and evil.

Luigi87

I'd recommend watching some of the streamers on twitch, they pretty much only draft. Watching others will help.

Infamousneo also has a how to draft series on his YouTube channel. I'd like it but on mobile ATM.

Thanks, I'll look up the latter and then some streams when I'm able.

Kyuur

Can you play Sealed against a friend? Or do you have to do a tourney?

Nothing official in place, but there isn't anything stopping you from purchasing packs, building a deck out of those packs and playing that deck in Best-of-3 versus your friend. No friend drafts yet though. :(

PSqueak

Banned
post poned to next week?!

But i wanted it naaaaao!

Then again, this gives me time to do some commission work to get the sweet paypal money for thos addictive draft tourneys~

Shattered destiny didnt have a delay or i remember wrong?

Oh, it most definitely did. That was when CZE promised it would launch in November, delayed it to December 2nd, then said it would launch on "November 32nd" which is cute way to mask the complete clusterfuck that has been this games development path, and then actually launched it on December 9th because "lol Hex target dates."

Gothos

Tried it about two months ago and wasn't impressed. I had really high hopes for this during Kickstarter hype but what I saw was a mere shadow of what I was expecting. Poor production values didn't help. Basically: a huge dissapointment.

Gonna try it again when PvE patch hits.

Poetic

I figured it'd be next week when I read the original post poned post. Later than that would be extremely disappointing.

Kyuur

Can you unlock all the content just by playing?

Depends what you mean by 'content' I guess. You're highly unlikely to obtain complete sets even if you're putting a ton of money into the game. If you mean playable content, you can get in tournaments by farming gold and trading for packs that other people bought/won. In tournaments, you can win more packs and cards to sell that can let you keep playing paid content!

Hopefully they announce the new date today.

Poetic

You can buy PvP cards without spending real money, but it'll be a grind. Grinding gold in the arena and selling to others for platinum. Think it's like .80-$1.00 an hour or so right now.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So how good is this compared to Hearthstone? I found Hearthstone too simple compared to MTG.

this is much more like MtG than Hearthstone. I mean, Hearthstone doesn't even have actions on your opponent's turn...

Ryuukan

Your OP is very confusing because it doesn't talk about PvP. A simple question to answer would be: Can we finally unlock cards for PvP without paying money?

It does if you read the FAQ section

also this is not a OT for Hex itself, just the latest expansion

Ri'Orius

So how good is this compared to Hearthstone? I found Hearthstone too simple compared to MTG.

The rules are almost identical to MTG's.

Now, I know "this card game is just like Magic!" gets thrown around a lot for any TCG, so let me be clear: I've played a lot of card games, and read the rules for a whole lot more. MTG is more similar to Hex than any pair of card games I've ever encountered. Hex has the same turn phases, same stack mechanic, etc. etc.

That said, I'm not sure it can take Hearthstone's place in my book, because I love my mobile Hearthstoning :(

Shinjica

The rules are almost identical to MTG's.

Now, I know "this card game is just like Magic!" gets thrown around a lot for any TCG, so let me be clear: I've played a lot of card games, and read the rules for a whole lot more. MTG is more similar to Hex than any pair of card games I've ever encountered. Hex has the same turn phases, same stack mechanic, etc. etc.

That said, I'm not sure it can take Hearthstone's place in my book, because I love my mobile Hearthstoning :(

The game is just like magic and that's why i like it. MTGO is a mess and i'm not interested in giving them money when they will not improve their game

Poetic

I'm glad the set is finally upon us, so much is being added this patch. Going to be overwhelming tonight trying to figure out what to do with my time. Thinking chests first and maybe a draft.

havocau

Neo Member
Patching now XD

So hyped, will be streaming when it goes live (as will practically everyone :p)

Going to be opening thousands of chests, buying probably 400 packs and opening a bunch etc... should be fun ^_^ twitch.tv/hexedhavoc

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i remember seeing this Kickstarter, but i was in grad school at the time and low on funds.

gonna register and give it a whirl.

i'd love an online TCG with a little depth, Hearthstone was way too shallow for me.

any tips on how to get free stuff to bolster my decks outright?

Top Bottom