• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Treasure Cruise |OT| Golden Hammer ---God--- Usopp

The bad thing about leveling Mihawk too much before you have his skill maxed is that it'd be too expensive to skill leveling him. That's why I'll keep mine at 50 until I can farm him again.

I thought this initially at first but when Mihawk is at max level any character or fodder you try to feed him will cost you 9900 beri. This really isn't at issue if you consider that you'll get 40,000+ beri per Mihawk run anyway. I checked with my other max characters and it seems that any thing you feed it will cost you 100 times your current level in beri. For instance, if you wanted to level your GH Usopp with skill books when he's already at max level, each book will cost you 5000 beri.

qazqaNii

This event with turtle time is hella confusing, they should've just released a list on when it will be available.. Will we have another turtle time before Monday or is it over?

RalchAC

Evolved my Killer! He is at level 40 too and has >1000 ATK, what a beast. I'll use Sunday and next Monday turtle times for my QCK units.
____

I've been thinking for a while... after how many pages do people usually make new OTs?

It'd be cool if some active(s) user(s) made a new one with updated information that could be edited in the future.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Free Devil Fruit because they screwed up Killers Leaderskill description ....nice.

PS: Have a couple free friend slots - so if anyone using Killer next week just add my main acc.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I got my evolved Killer to level 60.

Too bad I'm super beli broke. I have a few more elders ready to donate to Mihawk.

StMeph

What exactly is noteworthy about the new lobster island appearing?

Is it temporary, and only during this event?
Is it the 2x Drop% bonus?
Or is it just that it's new (free stone) and needed to evolve the new Supernovas batch?

Just wondering how hard I'm supposed to farm this thing for lobsters for Garp, Doflamingo, etc.

pelicansurf

I got 2 of every colored mega lobster in 7 runs. I'll take it!

Also, I have Nami's skill maxed! I also got Hina to skill level 8 and working on Bon Clay's skill. Not bad!

Xeroblade

I am assuming most of the units from sugofest use the lobsters? Right now I am farming for a rainbow hermit crab so I can get lion song zoro. I may have to use a gem to get this little guy.

RalchAC

And we still aren't getting multiple events at once and the super events like the Golden Week one lol

I am assuming most of the units from sugofest use the lobsters? Right now I am farming for a rainbow hermit crab so I can get lion song zoro. I may have to use a gem to get this little guy.

You can get lobsters on story islands, but it could be as terrible as farming pirate penguins pre penguin veteran island.

Qmzn

Neo Member
it's becoming increasingly difficult to keep. up to all the stuff this game throws at you

I agree. There are so many choices, and it's hard to say which is the right path.

Should I farm lobsters today for Garp, and Blackbeard, and Doflamingo? What about those Hermit crabs for Coby and Helmeppo, just around the corner? Should I keep at the Hina island, for the slim chance at maxing out her Special? Which one? Elite? Expert? Should I spend gems today on stamina, or aggressively save them for the next Sugofest? Did I miss today's turtle time? Where am I? Who am I?

There are clearly players that work every system in the game near-flawlessly, always getting max benefit from stamina, spending gems at just the right point, hitting the 24-hour islands running. And they reap great benefits, riding a wave of calculated success. I clearly have a few of them in my friends list, and while I have nothing against it, even with the JP version as a guide, keeping up with them is getting a bit tiresome.

For example, I know I should get evolve materials ready before events like Cobymeppo, because I'll have to level and evolve training Coby to Master Sergeant fast if I want to start using those special manuals. But should I grab the penguins and crabs and dragons I need this week, or the next? Really not looking forward to playing RNG roulette with the purple/yellow dragon drops.

What I do know now is, I won't be waiting for Special X2 events unless it's for someone like Mihawk or Garp, where a MAX cooldown is game-changing. 15 manuals MAX'd Bon Clay outside the event, yet after 25 Hinas at X2 chance, I'm still at Special Lv 5. I'd rather just get the failure over with than wait 2 months.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I agree. There are so many choices, and it's hard to say which is the right path.

Should I farm lobsters today for Garp, and Blackbeard, and Doflamingo? What about those Hermit crabs for Coby and Helmeppo, just around the corner? Should I keep at the Hina island, for the slim chance at maxing out her Special? Which one? Elite? Expert? Should I spend gems today on stamina, or aggressively save them for the next Sugofest? Did I miss today's turtle time? Where am I? Who am I?

There are clearly players that work every system in the game near-flawlessly, always getting max benefit from stamina, spending gems at just the right point, hitting the 24-hour islands running. And they reap great benefits, riding a wave of calculated success. I clearly have a few of them in my friends list, and while I have nothing against it, even with the JP version as a guide, keeping up with them is getting a bit tiresome.

For example, I know I should get evolve materials ready before events like Cobymeppo, because I'll have to level and evolve training Coby to Master Sergeant fast if I want to start using those special manuals. But should I grab the penguins and crabs and dragons I need this week, or the next? Really not looking forward to playing RNG roulette with the purple/yellow dragon drops.

What I do know now is, I won't be waiting for Special X2 events unless it's for someone like Mihawk or Garp, where a MAX cooldown is game-changing. 15 manuals MAX'd Bon Clay outside the event, yet after 25 Hinas at X2 chance, I'm still at Special Lv 5. I'd rather just get the failure over with than wait 2 months.

I'm new-ish to the game but it seems to me like you're over-thinking it. Coby isn't essential for Monster Chopper so there's no huge rush there.

Spend your stam today farming ~3 Lobsters of each color, to prevent lots of pain in the months to come.

Then spend the rest of your Stam before the Hina event ends continuing to farm her. Or, if you prefer, farming story units. Like normal.

Qmzn

Neo Member
I'm new-ish to the game but it seems to me like you're over-thinking it.

I was exaggerating for effect, though figuring out how to keep ahead of the curve is mildly frustrating. My plan does involves lobsters today (at least a yellow one for Garp), but I'm still at the mercy of the RNG.

The actual reason I want Coby evolved fast is because I want to start using him in my PSY team. I like his design. I've already given up on Monster Chopper, as I don't have any of the required units to do him on Master, i.e. LS Zoro. Even Expert looks questionable.

RedBoot

As far as evo materials go, I try to keep 3 of each on hand, and I run a couple of the daily events for whenever I get low on one or the other. Obviously, it's hard to keep 3 stocked of certain units (Elder Seahorse), but this at least keeps you full on penguins or crabs or the like.

As a side note, do we know if different units have different special-up chances? I've gotten a bunch of levels for Psy Django and Morgan, but meanwhile after ten skillbooks, I haven't gotten a single level for Fullbody. Is it just bad luck?

cw_sasuke

Qmzn,

You should just enjoy the game without worrying so much. The game doesn't get worse just because other players have more luck or achieve more stuff in less time. It's just a f2p game not your Master thesis xD

Worrying about a Raid boss that won't be out 12 months is too much, especially when so much is Rob related.... You are always one lucky drop away from having a relevant team again.

Edit:

Also in addition it might be wise to state and reach some personal goals. No one can achieve everything in this game, no matter how much time and effort you spend. Just work on your teams and keep improving over time.

Xeroblade

I beg to differ, look at the Japanese version:

Screenshot_2015-05-22-12-11-57_zpsuipdusmu.png

Screenshot_2015-05-22-12-12-06_zpsszqsyi08.png

Screenshot_2015-05-22-12-12-42_zpsgync6c6h.png

pelicansurf

I downsized from 3 of each evo material to 2. Having 3 of everything is equivalent to not Having a box. Especially with new crabs, new fortnights, and turtle time. It's suicide. I'll spend the mild heartache with 2 of each evo material.

Qmzn

Neo Member

You lost me. Is it about the JP version having lots of different stage options available, or that things will likely level out once the game gets into full swing? That's neat and all, but it just seems like even more complicated, requiring advanced knowledge to pick the stage that benefits one's characters the most.

Forgive me, but I find it hard to take a totally laid-back approach to a game where I know I'm one random drop away from greatness (as said before), or fifty, any way the wind blows. That leads me to mull over ways to better my chances, and optimize the return on my time investment, rather than throw my hands up and say, "eh, let the RNG of fate take me wherever it wishes."

I'm not actually sitting on a razor's edge over this game, that's just the melodrama talking. Still, things like this 24-hour lobster buffet tend to stick in my mind. I just got a yellow lobster for Garp, cost me 15 stamina. Farming that same lobster on a story isle could cost an entire bar of stamina or more, even at 1/2 cost.

Folks with LS Zoro or high-level Ace/Jozu can spend all Monster Chopper Day on Master level, getting solid Pirate XP and better-than-average odds for Sea Stallions. Folks without, can't.

There's a cascade effect to the character drops one gets or does not get in this game. I haven't forgotten the weeks of grinding it took to get Laboon, but if I hadn't, I wouldn't have Mihawk, who I very, very much enjoy using. I'd hate to miss out on Garp due to my own mistakes.

But yeah, sure, I'll try to think about it less. No promises. I do feel better about the game, now that there's one of each lobster sitting in my character box. Glad I didn't stick with Hina runs.

cw_sasuke

To be fair most of the stuff is just old content being in rotation as its always the case once a game is longer available....Raid Bosses like MC are old News in Japan and probably not relevant for anyone who has been playing for a while. So yeah there is more selection...but its not like they get more new content than the Global version - game has just been out for longer so they have more stuff to rotate in.

Dont know which boss rotates next week - Alvida i think...so Alvida, Coby/Helmeppo as well as Monster Chopper will be available next week at some point.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
You lost me. Is it about the JP version having lots of different stage options available, or that things will likely level out once the game gets into full swing? That's neat and all, but it just seems like even more complicated, requiring advanced knowledge to pick the stage that benefits one's characters the most.

Forgive me, but I find it hard to take a totally laid-back approach to a game where I know I'm one random drop away from greatness (as said before), or fifty, any way the wind blows. That leads me to mull over ways to better my chances, and optimize the return on my time investment, rather than throw my hands up and say, "eh, let the RNG of fate take me wherever it wishes."

I'm not actually sitting on a razor's edge over this game, that's just the melodrama talking. Still, things like this 24-hour lobster buffet tend to stick in my mind. I just got a yellow lobster for Garp, cost me 15 stamina. Farming that same lobster on a story isle could cost an entire bar of stamina or more, even at 1/2 cost.

Folks with LS Zoro or high-level Ace/Jozu can spend all Monster Chopper Day on Master level, getting solid Pirate XP and better-than-average odds for Sea Stallions. Folks without, can't.

There's a cascade effect to the character drops one gets or does not get in this game. I haven't forgotten the weeks of grinding it took to get Laboon, but if I hadn't, I wouldn't have Mihawk, who I very, very much enjoy using. I'd hate to miss out on Garp due to my own mistakes.

But yeah, sure, I'll try to think about it less. No promises. I do feel better about the game, now that there's one of each lobster sitting in my character box. Glad I didn't stick with Hina runs.

What you're saying is totally fair, but I would also just describe it as... gameplay.

Prepping early to get Laboon so that you can get Mihawk without a "legit" team is fun. It's strategy - management of your time and stamina. It's part of TC's gameplay. If you can be meticulous and plan things out, you're rewarded with a Mihawk. If you're a player unwilling or unable to, you don't get a Mihawk.

Instead, players like that just roll through the story islands with your team of Straw Hats, and hopefully still enjoy the combo/orb system, etc.

It's almost two separate games - one for min/maxers, and one for everyone else.

Most people probably fall, to some degree, somewhere in the middle. I've been really serious with TC so far. I started playing just after Mihawk ended and vowed to get up to speed fast enough to not miss another big event again. I'm super serious about where I farm, how I spend my Stamina, etc. But even so, I'm not saving my Gin or Kuroobi skillbooks from the current Fortnight Island, because F that. Even though technically that would be more optimal.

Xeroblade

To be fair most of the stuff is just old content being in rotation as its always the case once a game is longer available....Raid Bosses like MC are old News in Japan and probably not relevant for anyone who has been playing for a while. So yeah there is more selection...but its not like they get more new content than the Global version - game has just been out for longer so they have more stuff to rotate in.

Dont know which boss rotates next week - Alvida i think...so Alvida, Coby/Helmeppo as well as Monster Chopper will be available next week at some point.

Ah makes sense. I was just showing that there was a lot of content if you are just starting out. I cant even play most of them, I dont have the right units.

Qmzn

Neo Member
I'm super serious about where I farm, how I spend my Stamina, etc.

That's how I've been. Some players are clearly doing a better job, though. Not sure I'd enjoy the game as much dialing back to casual cruise-control, but being somewhat new to F2P, I'm still struggling with finding that balance between "somewhere in the middle" and "extreme min/max time management". I imagine I'll get there, eventually.

As a side note, do we know if different units have different special-up chances?

Hard to say. It doesn't seem like it. My Fullbody hit MAX around the same time as my Django did during Special x2. There's some Japanese pages with attempts to draw statistical conclusions like this one, which says it's 15% across the board, regardless of character.

I'd still say it's possible that the numbers shift slightly based on character rarity, just like it does with XP, but only Bandai Namco programmers know the truth.

EDIT: Put 2 Hinas into Hina, got Super Success and a Special Lv Up! Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Kumo

Keys! Thanks.

Got keys too, thanks!

Also, if anyone is planning on using a vivi team for MC like me, the lobsters are really good for this, especially the blue ones.

Someone on reddit also pointed out that farming lobsters is one of the biggest pains of playing the JP version. Even if you don't need them now, farming them will be a great investment for future content. He recommended getting at least 3 of each.

I can tap too., setting to your location.

Can you tap with me as well? I have it set to kumamoto as well.

Mazre

Got keys too, thanks!

Also, if anyone is planning on using a vivi team for MC like me, the lobsters are really good for this, especially the blue ones.

Someone on reddit also pointed out that farming lobsters is one of the biggest pains of playing the JP version. Even if you don't need them now, farming them will be a great investment for future content. He recommended getting at least 3 of each.

Edit: Mazre, can you tap with me as well?

Yep, tapping now at Jayhawks location

Edit: Thanks for keys kumo

Qmzn

Neo Member
So, is it really true that attack order doesn't affect character drop?

From what I've read elsewhere, all drops are predetermined on stage load. Each screen has a 50% chance for a drop (which becomes 100% at Drop X2), unless a "boss" character is present, which makes it some lesser amount.

If an item drop is triggered on a screen, then a single enemy is chosen to drop an item based on their drop table, which usually means a poster, a chest, or Beli.

Do I have this right? I've had trouble finding any visual proof or comprehensive testing, other than players saying, "turn off Wi-Fi and try it for yourself." I'm just wondering if it's possible for the game to typically choose a single enemy item drop per screen, but occasionally, it could choose two, in which case kill order would matter. That would be a harder thing to test just by restarting a few screens from the saved state.

StMeph

So, is it really true that attack order doesn't affect character drop?

From what I've read elsewhere, all drops are predetermined on stage load. Each screen has a 50% chance for a drop (which becomes 100% at Drop X2), unless a "boss" character is present, which makes it some lesser amount.

People in other games like PAD and FF:RK have read their traffic using packet sniffers through WIFI and can determine what is going to drop on every level of a stage before even getting there. I'm not 100% sure it's been done for OP:TC, but I am 99% sure it uses the same basic framework.

Top Bottom