• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Treasure Cruise |OT| Golden Hammer ---God--- Usopp

RedBoot

I wish I could complain about Croc not dropping. I'm still focused on complaining about Mr. 3 not dropping. :p

(Haven't gotten a bananagator yet either. I do have 4 of the 5 giants, at least.)

Tidd

And still no Crocodile for me! But thanks to running croc I got 20 Cola again and this happended...

p7MdgW3l.jpg

So I'm happy right now despite not getting crocodile

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
And still no Crocodile for me! But thanks to running croc I got 20 Cola again and this happended...

So I'm happy right now despite not getting crocodile

My man !! Congrats !!

Reading these last pages shows i have been lacking lately when it comes to OPTC. Havent beaten the Mihawk Island yet, havent farmed Croc, missing Turtle times and the Friend Treasure game etc.

Hope it gets better soon....when is the next Sugofest ? lol

Dawg

Logged in, decided to do snails.

Got a stamina recovery snail.

All right, that'll teach me never to do snails before my stamina is depleted :c I had full stamina ;_;

Qmzn

Neo Member
I'm gonna be rolling rooted Android against JP Sabofest today. If I get any accounts with sexy units (except for the Sabo/Rayleigh which I will be getting on my first try, of course), GAF can have first crack.

I'll make a post with the results when it's all over, or perhaps when I get sick of mindlessly poking at my phone.

EDIT: It is not today, it is tomorrow. I cannot read calendars properly.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I can't find Korial in my Friend List anymore, or on the GAF Google Doc. Did they change their name? I was curious as to how much cotton candy they had on their Rayleigh which is why I checked but I can no longer see him/her.

They probably removed me because I failed to pull a Rayleigh. I TRIED! ;_;
Lol. I did the same thing, except I have a MAX Rayleigh with 10 points in w/ Cotton Candy.

I could also not find him. Hope he didn't quit.

cw_sasuke

Korial quitting OPTC? You guys are funny xD

He is likely just using Law right now or hasn't locked in for the day. Don't think you need to worry.

lucypirates

Unconfirmed Member
A striker always appears on Stage 2 for Alvida with the penguins. It's just a question of the TYPE (DEX, QCK, etc) that appears. You can also nab one if it shows up on Stage 3, otherwise spamming Stage 2 over and over until the QCK striker drops is one way to get one.

Copons

Korial quitting OPTC? You guys are funny xD

He is likely just using Law right now or hasn't locked in for the day. Don't think you need to worry.

Can confirm Korial changes captains pretty much every ten minutes or so, but pretty much every day I get to play with his signature MAX Mihawk.

Just order your friends list for LVL and you should find him in the top 5 results, no matter which captain he's using at the moment.

RedBoot

Can confirm Korial changes captains pretty much every ten minutes or so, but pretty much every day I get to play with his signature MAX Mihawk.

Just order your friends list for LVL and you should find him in the top 5 results, no matter which captain he's using at the moment.

Yeah, I wish games like this had a "Friend Captain" slot you could set, instead of just using your current lead. I'm keeping my almost maxed Mihawk up since it seems to be getting a lot of use during the Lucci event, but I'm actually using an Asura Zoro team to clear the event myself. I have to remember to swap back when I'm done.

Copons

Yeah, I wish games like this had a "Friend Captain" slot you could set, instead of just using your current lead. I'm keeping my almost maxed Mihawk up since it seems to be getting a lot of use during the Lucci event, but I'm actually using an Asura Zoro team to clear the event myself. I have to remember to swap back when I'm done.

That would be especially great for people like me that don't bother changing the captain to better help friends boast my Rayleigh. :D

Another thing that would be really useful would be an easy way to know the special level of friends' captains, because I really only remember about Korial's Mihawk and maybe Maju's one too, but I'm not sure... :(

cw_sasuke

That would be especially great for people like me that don't bother changing the captain to better help friends boast my Rayleigh. :D

Another thing that would be really useful would be an easy way to know the special level of friends' captains, because I really only remember about Korial's Mihawk and maybe Maju's one too, but I'm not sure... :(
You can just click on the Characters portrait to see their skill level.

And mine!

And sasuke's!

Hana-Bi

Wow, the Marco skill book drop rate is crazy low and I tried to level up a skill again and another failure. 11 skill books without a skill up. :(

And there is someone in my friend list with a max skilled Marco. How many runs or how much luck do you need for that?

lucypirates

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, the Marco skill book drop rate is crazy low and I tried to level up a skill again and another failure. 11 skill books without a skill up. :(

And there is someone in my friend list with a max skilled Marco. How many runs or how much luck do you need for that?

I mentioned in a prior post, it took me 64 books to max skill Marco. The book drops at a rate of 25%. I've read of another player only needing 37 books to max skill him, I know of a couple other players who unfortunately have gone 0/40 and 2/89 in skill ups for Marco. I went 0/5 three times and 0/12 during my attempts.

The skill up luck is uncontrollable, but if you're aiming to try to save books 40-60 may be what is required. Which puts you in the range of upwards to 300 runs for this fortnight. Sadly, expect all the future fortnights with Supernova and WB commander books to require the same amount, because they'll have the same drop % for their books.

Also if you happen to have Whitebeard... all I can say is good luck. That will really be a trial by fire.

chrono01

Nope, still not showing up for me, not even on the actual Friend List [where you don't need to log in to have it refreshed]. He must have removed me. :(

I can't really blame him, since he has Rayleigh and is likely pretty popular. That being said, I'll definitely missed his high-skilled units.

Hana-Bi

I mentioned in a prior post, it took me 64 books to max skill Marco. The book drops at a rate of 25%. I've read of another player only needing 37 books to max skill him, I know of a couple other players who unfortunately have gone 0/40 and 2/89 in skill ups for Marco. I went 0/5 three times and 0/12 during my attempts.

The skill up luck is uncontrollable, but if you're aiming to try to save books 40-60 may be what is required. Which puts you in the range of upwards to 300 runs for this fortnight. Sadly, expect all the future fortnights with Supernova and WB commander books to require the same amount, because they'll have the same drop % for their books.

Also if you happen to have Whitebeard... all I can say is good luck. That will really be a trial by fire.

Did the books drop every fourth run or do you mean one Marco out of four chests?

I gave up to save all those books. The rate up seems also kind of low so I want to have at least some space for the next turtle time...

Ah, and congrats for maxing your Marco. :)

Tidd

Holy hell how much cola did you have banked?

I maxed my Merry around the time Mihawk arrived for the first time. Since then I could save my Cola and got upgrade 1-9 without a failure. Level 10 took 3-5 tries.

Lol people complaining about Marco skill book droprates. Good Luck with the Whitebeard ones ;)

lucypirates

Unconfirmed Member
Did the books drop every fourth run or do you mean one Marco out of four chests?

I gave up to save all those books. The rate up seems also kind of low so I want to have at least some space for the next turtle time...

Ah, and congrats for maxing your Marco. :)

Thank you! Skill maxing I find is the hardest thing to do in the game. It's one thing to acquire enough books, it's a whole other to succeed with getting the darn things to work.

But no, sadly the drops don't work like that. Cumulatively is what I meant by drops/overall runs but also chance wise per individual run. What I can tell you is that you have a greater chance of acquiring a Marco book if Kaku or the QCK evolved pirate striker drops a chest. But his book also definitely drops randomly from other fodder.

Verelios

I've run Lucci maybe 50 times and haven't gotten a single Marco skillbook.

Instead I have over 30 zoro skillbooks. Who I don't have. Yay.

Kumo

So is Franky's fortnight going to be up soon? I don't see any notification for it.

I looked at my character box just now and my best int captain after 110 days of playing is thunderbolt tempo nami. Sad times. :(

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So is Franky's fortnight going to be up soon? I don't see any notification for it.

I looked at my character box just now and my best int captain after 110 days of playing is thunderbolt tempo nami. Sad times. :(
Lucci still has 5 days

Qmzn

Neo Member
I've done around 40 Expert Lucci runs, gotten... 11 Marco manuals, I think. I don't even have Marco, of course.

I've come to accept that there are certain specials that I won't be getting to MAX, at least not for a long, long time. If the developers decide to make certain strategies accessible only to players who are both willing to run fortnights aggressively and have luck for manual drops, then that's their decision.

Now, if they start locking the majority of content behind that wall of gambling, and the game becomes more about thinly-disguised slot machines than skill and knowledge of the game's mechanics, I'll definitely bail, One Piece IP or no.

I've had similar discussions with friends about $60 console games that revolve around a RNG, such as Borderlands 2 and Destiny. If you're locking player enjoyment behind a 0.05% drop rate just because you want that drop to be the super-ultra-rare-only-three-guys-in-the-world-have-it thing, you're flirting with the possibility your player will quit out of frustration before they ever even see your work. Sure, some players may stick around, but they are often compulsive, competitive types, dragging down the community with their min-max obsession, satisfied as kings of an empty mountain.

OP:TC manuals are just enhancing nigh-useless specials to the point of being useful on bosses, which isn't too bad. When that becomes the only way to kill a boss, it's problematic, which is what OP:TC is flirting with more and more.

There should be a balance, with diverse solutions to boss fights. I hope the 4.0 ability system helps with that, but I have doubts.

I've done around 40 Expert Lucci runs, gotten... 11 Marco manuals, I think. I don't even have Marco, of course.

I've come to accept that there are certain specials that I won't be getting to MAX, at least not for a long, long time. If the developers decide to make certain strategies accessible only to players who are both willing to run fortnights aggressively and have luck for manual drops, then that's their decision.

Now, if they start locking the majority of content behind that wall of gambling, and the game becomes more about thinly-disguised slot machines than skill and knowledge of the game's mechanics, I'll definitely bail, One Piece IP or no.

I've had similar discussions with friends about $60 console games that revolve around a RNG, such as Borderlands 2 and Destiny. If you're locking player enjoyment behind a 0.05% drop rate just because you want that drop to be the super-ultra-rare-only-three-guys-in-the-world-have-it thing, you're flirting with the possibility your player will quit out of frustration before they ever even see your work. Sure, some players may stick around, but they are often compulsive, competitive types, dragging down the community with their min-max obsession, satisfied as kings of an empty mountain.

OP:TC manuals are just enhancing nigh-useless specials to the point of being useful on bosses, which isn't too bad. When that becomes the only way to kill a boss, it's problematic, which is what OP:TC is flirting with more and more.

There should be a balance, with diverse solutions to boss fights. I hope the 4.0 ability system helps with that, but I have doubts.

Honestly, I've been working on my Zephyr guide for a while and, while I see your point, I feel like this game actually does offer quite a few options when it comes to defeating Bosses. There are going to be quite a few different teams that will work for Zephyr, and a good portion of them don't require any kind of skills to be maxed. I feel like Garp was a lot more restrictive honestly.

Of course, you're still going to have to have some pretty decent units. That's just kind of how it is for these kind of games though.

I just wish I had a Marco.... ;_;

Qmzn

Neo Member
Honestly, I've been working on my Zephyr guide for a while and, while I see your point, I feel like this game actually does offer quite a few options when it comes to defeating Bosses. There are going to be quite a few different teams that will work for Zephyr, and a good portion of them don't require any kind of skills to be maxed. I feel like Garp was a lot more restrictive honestly.

I don't feel like Zephyr is part of the problem, either, and Garp actually didn't bother me much. Mihawk or M. Chopper, being early attempts at the raid boss concept, are certainly reasonable to defeat. I actually think it's okay if a raid boss is nigh-invincible at their first appearance, as long as new options open up before they return. I think the pinch is really going to start with Doffy, where the options get really limited, and MAX Special Mihawks are required in almost every team. Aokiji and Enel continue the trend, with no clear workaround.

What I hope for from Bamco (or whatever internal dev team is actually working the game) is for some decent mid-tier gacha units that open up more team diversity. I think the
Revolutionary Army
units that just landed in JP are a step in the right direction--there need to be more buffing units and units that remove percentages of life bars, so that players stop leaning so heavily on raid bosses and 6* captains. That way, players can come out of Sugofest saying, "hey, I didn't get Rayleigh, but I got a bunch of decent guys I think I can cobble together into a solution for that next boss."

I think CCGs are sort of the predecessor to games like this. In early M:TG, you could win with the $500 deck consistently, and the $50 with a little luck. They need more complicated mid-budget solutions to match the top-tier min-maxed ones.

lucypirates

Unconfirmed Member
I've wondered how different this game would be for the global format if we didn't have Japan essentially beta testing the game for us. Or better yet, if we simply were caught up.

We know what raids are next, we know what fortnights are comings, we know what drops to expect, we know what units we should try to pull for, we know what evolvers to use, we know what gives what for XP, we know unit specials and their cooldowns, we know team compositions and even have videos showing runs which take continues and which don't. The entire strategy guide is already online already, so to that point is the game even fun anymore?

As someone mentioned in this thread, all the preparatory work we get to do could very well be the reason the box hasn't been upgraded. More space means being able to hold onto those rarer skillbooks, or whatever else on the off chance we acquire X to use it on. Or it could be simpler and it just hasn't happened yet because it hasn't.

I'm sorry QMZN but yes, as you've said 40 runs at Lucci isn't enough to max Marco, if that's your goal as a player. And I say that generally too to all players, myself included. The smart thing we all think would be would be to stash the books and wait for the next rate up. But again that's probably not till 3 weeks away, so you run yourself into a problem like Chrono has. However in the same sense 40 runs isn't enough, similarly 400 runs might not be enough if your luck is terrible. I know of a players who have done exactly that and sadly failed, but they're still going.

A hardline does exist though, it's between the player who wants just that one singular raid or fortnight boss unit and the player who wants to farm 100's of them. That's when the team make-up matters and yes, where the specials become more than "nigh-useless".

Is that compulsive, obsessive? King of the mountain type of behaviour? I don't know. I think the comment about "dragging down the community" is harsh, but I'll leave that there. But I see no difference in someone grinding through Dark Souls, endlessly playing Warcraft, or whatever other game said player gets enjoyment from. So yes the conversation of a $60 all-in game, or a monthly subscription game with expansions versus a game like this is definitely something to think about in terms of - is it worthwhile.

All I know is this game is more fun, at least for me personally, when everyone else succeeds. But if you're thinking this is anything but a thinly veiled slot machine, I don't think it pretends to be anything more than exactly that. Drops are pre-determined when you enter into a stage, pulls are pre-determined when you click "rare recruit". As players all we do is perform the required action to complete whatever it is we do in the game. Is that more skill than purchase? I don't know.

I look at this game as nothing more than an arcade machine I keep pumping quarters into. I could just as very well be playing Donkey Kong trying to get a kill screen. And in that same end, I don't regret it because I'm having fun, but I do look at the landscape ahead and see it not ending.

I see new units which don't really change much, other than being your favorite OP characters. I see 4.0 using dupes pulled during a sugo as being "less wasteful" if they weren't already that in our complaints when we pull. This is already becoming a lot of typing but to what Cloggerdude is saying the balance is there, but I think the game also scales to where certain pulled (or farmed) character expectations fall in place, or even not maxed but lowered cooldown for X unit do get to be requirements. I think that's fair in the sense of a difficulty, but even again... the game doesn't fault you for continuing and spending a gem, if the drop rate is 100%.

TL;DR - there isn't one.

I am 198 cola down trying to go from 9-10 on the Merry. I will keep pumping cola til I get it.

Edit: the only thing I would complain about, is how rare it is for raid bosses to return.

Top Bottom