• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT14| Attention NV shoppers, democracy is on sale in aisle 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

Oh god, that SurveyMonkey poll and the Comey news lowered my anxiety a bit today. I can at least eat, lol!

Breaking News: The Justice Department is saying that it's putting in extra work at the FBI to sift through the emails in the Clinton case as quickly as possible.

Meaning: before election day.

I suspected and said as much, and despite the news over the weekend trying to blow this thing up. It was mostly the Trump supporters that were loud and smiling about this. But I don't think anybody can blame them for hoping that Hillary had finally been taken down. It's their only shot.

Just had a conversation with somebody where they thought whomever wins will most likely only last 1 term based on their unfavorables and a congress that will stall or hinder every act of legislation the President attempts to put into place.

Can't say I would be shocked if that was true.

Don't see that happening with Trump.

I expect to see a lot of Democrats go to jail, and wouldn't be surprised to see this site come under attack at some point.

Just had a conversation with somebody where they thought whomever wins will most likely only last 1 term based on their unfavorables and a congress that will stall or hinder every act of legislation the President attempts to put into place.

Too much happens in a presidential term to predict a re-election outcome before it even begins.

There is so much that is problematic with this election that I can't even begin to start explaining it to people.

-We have got foreign governments purposefully praising one candidate and hacking the information of another.
-A candidate pre-claiming massive voter fraud.
-A candidate that won't release tax returns
-A candidate that is threatening to jail his opponent
-A candidate that says the President is a terrorist sympathizer and that his prime opponent is the co-founder of ISIS.

Hyper-partisanship and polarization has allowed a major party to devolve into something that is akin to politics in the 1850s. We don't have duels anymore, luckily.

This shit is so toxic to Democracy, it blunts our ability to be advocates around the world for anti-corruption campaigns in nations with already shaky institutions, and emboldens nations who would like to perpetuate tightly controlled societies, like China and Saudi Arabia to export those types of policies and strategies to their neighbors and clients.

I think Chaffetz blackmailed Comey
Comey is just a partisan hack is all.

Literally again his Summer press conference was

A) Unprecedented
B) Designed to make Clinton look as bad as possible without being criminal

Like Comey basically was upset he couldn't actually find anything to charge her with so he settled for trying to ruin her through public perception... and this latter is just his next attempt at it.

Does the media even care about the Comey story when we have 650000 EMAILZ?!?11!!

Someone said MSNBC was running it earlier. If we can get more sources corroborating the story, we may see more traction. Otherwise the networks might think it's still Clinton's "turn" to have a scandal, and will keep talking about it until something bigger happens in the world (or if Trump blows up again).

Joeytj

Banned
Holy shit, now even Chuck Grassley is on the anti-Comey bandwagon:

@sarahmccammon
Senate judiciary committee chair Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, tells FBI Director Comey that "without additional context, your disclosure is not fair to Congress, the American people, or Secretary Clinton"

I'm even seeing national media here in Mexico with headlines of "FBI accused of violating law to hurt Clinton"

Zukkoyaki

Man, Gravis and Remington are reeeeally mucking up 538. They are also weighing LA Times and a Gravis 2-way landline only RV poll higher than the brand new SurveyMonkey poll.

chadskin

2.bild.jpg

The most dangerous sexting politician in the US lmao

I think Chaffetz blackmailed Comey

I think a conservative faction in the FBI forced him to move prematurely. The alternative was that they would leak to Chaffetz that the Comey was withholding information possibly relevant to the Clinton investigation, ensuring a right-wing noise machine firestorm.

What're your issues? i'm genuinely curious. I thought ascribing a majority of the issues to the crime bill was lazy but it doesn't detract from it being great. that trump montage was fantastic even if Mother Jones did it earlier this year.

This basically was kinda emblematic of my issue. It painted a picture of an almost linear intentional series of actions by all this actors setting this system up with the intent on targeting blacks, rather than people sometimes meaning well, sometimes not, building on mistake after mistake with black people taking the brunt of it because of the socialized dehumanization and lack of empathy for them.

The most harmful racist actions are subconscious bias and a lack of empathy and how that leads to "color-blind" actions and laws to be racist. I'd rather go much harder on white-america being the default, the media and socialization of racism rather than a conspiracy to reconstitute slavery which I feel is more of a "happy" byproduct (meaning for racist interest, not that I think its happy) rather than the goal.

I think the film almost realizes this when Michelle at the end says oppressive systems are resilient and come back in new forms. But the film before that is really heavy on portraying a conspiracy to intentionally harm people in everything that has negatively affect blacks and other minorities, even things like Jail, Parole and Bail which predate this problem, but we're captured by profit-seaking or racist interest for their goals.

If I can provide an example. The film portrays the 13th amendments punishment clause as being an intentional way to hurt blacks and keep slavery around. My understanding of history is that it was to prevent the amendment from literally ending prison (as the clause modifies involuntary servitude, not slavery). The issue is the insidiousness of peoples biases and profit motives to find a way to abuse everything to help themselves and hurt or ignore the effects on the already marginalized. I guess I just think portraying things as a intentional plot misses why racism is so bad and hard to kill since the seeds are in everybody with their biases. But when you line up a single historical thread with bad guys or people who did the things that got us here I think you're not going to solve the problem and may make it worse because you're gonna miss the future threat which hasn't been foreseen.

Here's a bit on the punishment clause
The use of the Punishment Clause to resubordinate the formerly enslaved was not the intended effect of the Thirteenth Amendment. For example, Representative Kasson argued that the "only kind of involuntary servitude known to the Constitution and the law" was when a prisoner was directly sentenced to hard labor in the state prison under the control of state officers. In response to the abuses of the convict-lease system, Congress enacted the Civil Rights Act of 1866 to specifically cure these--and other--abuses.

Not that the film doesn't touch these themes. Most of my problems were with specific characterizations of things. Rather than the film as a whole.

Revolver

Please, please tell me Trump is saying this at his rallies. Please.

He is. Saying they've hit the "mother lode". Also 650 million immigrants will pour into the country in a week if Hillary gets elected. He heard the number 650 somewhere and it got stuck in his head.

He is. Saying they've hit the "mother lode". Also 650 million immigrants will pour into the country in a week if Hillary gets elected. He heard the number 650 somewhere and it got stuck in his head.
You cant expect Trump to remember two different numbers. Its not fair.

Joe

Is there a good summary somewhere of what has transpired the past few days? I am beyond confused right now.

giga

I'm even seeing national media here in Mexico with headlines of "FBI accused of violating law to hurt Clinton"
Republican senator from Iowa saying you done goofed? Time to bail, comrade.

This is honestly one of the most surprising things of the election. I expected every single Republican to gloat like Trump is.

Is there a good summary somewhere of what has transpired the past few days? I am beyond confused right now.

From the CNBC thread, courtesy of Metroidvania:

FBI, in the process of investigating Weiner for the underage sexting allegations, discovered devices which (possibly) have information that may or may not be pertinent to the Clinton email investigation.

FBI tells Comey this past week (after having known of their existence for a while), Comey rushes off to write a letter to the (Republican) Committee of Oversight explaining that his 'the investigation is complete' testimony may not actually be true. Soon thereafter, House Member Chaffetz retweets the letter's contents, and attaches 'case reopened' (which Comey didn't actually say).

Cue Media Frenzy, followed by (some) backtracking on their part due to the FBI not having any solid info yet (they just got the warrant for Weiner's computer...yesterday, I think?)

Now, Dems (and some Repubs) are accusing Comey of violating the Hatch act with his purposefully blank/vague letter.

And now, it's reported that in a similar incidence of the Russia hacking allegations (which are at this point tied to the Trump campaign, at least in part), he refused to attach the FBI's name.

Bowdz

Damn, it definitely helps to have Republicans starting to pile on. In light of the CNBC report, it's getting harder to make any sort of defense for Comey.

thebloo

This is honestly one of the most surprising things of the election. I expected every single Republican to gloat like Trump is.

Grassley also suggested that the Justice Department may have withheld investigative tools from the FBI, undermining its ability to investigate Clinton's server.

"If the FBI is denied the ability to gather evidence through compulsory means, Secretary Clinton and her aides have enormous leverage to negotiate extraordinary concessions in exchange for voluntary cooperation," he wrote.

He's hitting "both sides" since he doesn't care about either.

Eh, this is a silly way of thinking. "Whomever" is now two people. And one of them will not be hindered by congress, since, if Trump wins, the GOP will have all 3 branches of government, as well as moving the Supreme Court back to a 5-4 split conservative.

So, the EMAILZ letter on Friday had no effect on polling. I'm betting that Comey resigns between now and the election.
Wonder how that will affect polls.

Also, is the White House gonna eat crow for that Comey statement from earlier?

Damn, it definitely helps to have Republicans starting to pile on. In light of the CNBC report, it's getting harder to make any sort of defense for Comey.

Repubs ain't doing this out of a sense of good governance. I suspect they want this to be the last bone the media chews on before next week, and to neutralize a Republican FBI director who can provide a sense of neutrality in a Clinton administration. Flogging the "corrupt Clinton administration" card is much easier if Comey is tarred and has to be replaced, and probably shakes some conservative FBI leakers' stories loose if they feel they're gonna be neutered under a different management team.

Goddamn. Bernie puttin in WORK

Gabriel Debenedetti‏ @gdebenedetti
Bernie's political operation says he'll campaign in NH ME MI WI OH NC IA NE CO AZ NV CA b/w now and Election Day. Quite a closing sprint.
Go Go Bernie

giphy.gif

Edit: beaten, and with the exact same phrasing lmao

Fox318

Don't see that happening with Trump.

I expect to see a lot of Democrats go to jail, and wouldn't be surprised to see this site come under attack at some point.
I honestly belive it won't get to that point but I'm just hopefull there.

Too much happens in a presidential term to predict a re-election outcome before it even begins.

If Hillary wins I think we will see more congressional obstruction and stalling than ever before and if Trump wins I think we will see unprecedented things like multiple recess appointments for the Supreme Court and so on.

Either way I just can't see anything getting done.
Hell Hillary could have this FBI case drawn out and all over her head in her first 100 days.

You don't have to break the law to be served articles of impeachment and I believe the Anti-Clinton resentment mixed with the FBI investigation into the most recent batch of emails will lead to hearings.

Its going to be a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom