• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT4| Tyler New Chief Exit Pollster at CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the point.

Barack Obama is what you need to beat Hillary Clinton.

The people who call her a weak candidate are nuts.
Yup.

Barack Obama has spoiled a generation. The reality is presidential candidates usually are boring old statesmen who have been in office for 100 years. The last time before Obama this wasn't the case was probably JFK.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Shame on everyone. Better call Bernie? Better call Bernie to the old folks home. Shame. On. You.

Source? That doesn't make sense.

From the exit polling, in Oklahoma:

The next president should be less liberal (28%)
Bernie 59%
Hillary 24%

In Iowa entrance polling

The next president should be less liberal
Bernie 53%
Hillary 43%

In Ohio, they split the "less liberal" 48/47.

In Michigan,
The next President should be less liberal
Bernie: 53%
Hillary 47%

I agree it makes no sense, but that's what the data shows.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Shame on you, OP, for this unfunny thread title. How dare you pass out these fake pamphlets and fliers. If you won't have a spirited debate with me, then shame on you. Meet me in Ohio.

Why are people still covering this shit

Jesus I can't wait until the republicans have another primary

Shame on everyone. Better call Bernie? Better call Bernie to the old folks home. Shame. On. You.

Oh shit, did Tesseract hack Y2Kev?

Y2Kev

The real Kev would never want to go to Ohio lol.

Once I had to go to Youngstown for business and when I got out if the town car that was driving me I said holy shit it stinks here.

Very curious to see how my friends in Brooklyn react if Clinton wins big in NY.

cry%2520p.gif

damisa

Bernie 59%
Hillary 24%

In Iowa entrance polling

Bernie 53%
Hillary 43%

In Michigan,
Hillary 47%

Of course it makes sense, with the supreme court on the line, I'm sure a lot of Republicans are more interested in having the easier opponent (Bernie) than a particular Republican

User 406

Banned

Bernie 59%
Hillary 24%

In Iowa entrance polling

Bernie 53%
Hillary 43%

In Michigan,
Hillary 47%

It makes perfect sense, if you consider that people who hate Hillary because A) she's a woman, B) she's been slandered for a quarter century, C) she's the usurper black man's successor would prioritize that hatred over getting a less liberal President.

Bernie 59%
Hillary 24%

In Iowa entrance polling

Bernie 53%
Hillary 43%

In Michigan,
Hillary 47%

It makes perfect sense, a lot of these people are Republican voters still registered as Democrats in closed states. They hate Hillary and Obama and also think Bernie would be easier to beat in November. There's little reason to think Biden would win these voters.

I was thinking this morning that I wish we got precinct-level details for primaries, because I'd love to see how gay-neighborhoods voted. I imagine we'll just get counties, which is unfortunate.

Here's the maps for Chicago, by ward and by precinct: Democrats | Republicans

According to census data, the largest concentrations of same-sex couples are in the 44th, 46th, 47th, 48th, and 49th wards.

Probably the most famous LGBT district of Chicago is Boystown, but typically of unofficial Chicago neighborhoods, the borders are pretty nebulous. The parts that everybody seems to consider Boystown make up the 33rd and 37th precincts of the 44th ward, plus parts of the 10th, 30th, and 31st precincts of the 46th ward. Depending on one's definition of Boystown it can encompass quite a bit more. Honestly someone who has been in the city longer than I have can probably detail better which precincts to look at.

NeoXChaos

Once I had to go to Youngstown for business and when I got out if the town car that was driving me I said holy shit it stinks here.

Y2Kev is going to deliver New Jersey to Hillary like he delivered The Last Guardian at E3 last year.

Hey. Hey.

Not cool brah. Only people from Ohio get to shit on the shit stain that is Ohio.

Plus, you get used to the smell and the deep, deep sense of depression that fills your very soul. Also, how the hell did they let you out of Ohio once you got here? I thought we were tagging people on the way in now.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Don't thank us, just find a really white precinct in New York and hang out outside the polling place starting conversations with Bernie supporters. Gotta Bill Clinton this shit.

Shit, if Ivy had done that in Capitol Hill in Seattle; he would have gotten Clinton like a good 5-10% more in Washington alone.

It's kind of bad for her campaign to claim moral high ground after 2008 though.

I know I beat this drum over and over - but to me, yes, that's absolutely the case. Hinting at the muslim question on 60 minutes, Bill going racial after him...yeah. Zero ability to claim moral high ground.

This is completely in line with her opinion on the issue. She's fine with states raising it to $15, but feels that's too high everywhere.

Accurate, IMO.

So, possibly controversial statement.

But since no one else was willing to make it in the last thread.

RE: The hypothetical Biden impact.

He would pull votes away from Sanders because he's a straight white man with high name recognition.

Eh, I think he's the overlap between Sanders and Clinton, which is why I think he would have done so well.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com...stimate=custom&selected=Biden,Clinton,Sanders

Notice the giant jump in Hillary's numbers after Biden declined to run.

Bingo.

Bernie 59%
Hillary 24%

In Iowa entrance polling

Bernie 53%
Hillary 43%

In Michigan,
Hillary 47%

The data makes sense if you think of it as "socially liberal" rather than "totally liberal". If they split fiscal away from social, I suspect the data would make more sense.

jtb

Banned
if Biden was in the race to begin with and we actually had a competitive democratic race, I don't know that Bernie would have ever had the oxygen to get his campaign rolling in the first place. Fundraising a political revolution is a lot easier when you can sell the prospect of a winnable two-horse race.

ivysaur12

Banned
Here's the maps for Chicago, by ward and by precinct: Democrats | Republicans

According to census data, the largest concentrations of same-sex couples are in the 44th, 46th, 47th, 48th, and 49th wards.

Probably the most famous LGBT district of Chicago is Boystown, but typically of unofficial Chicago neighborhoods, the borders are pretty nebulous. The parts that everybody seems to consider Boystown make up the 33rd and 37th precincts of the 44th ward, plus parts of the 10th, 30th, and 31st precincts of the 46th ward. Depending on one's definition of Boystown it can encompass quite a bit more. Honestly someone who has been in the city longer than I have can probably detail better which precincts to look at.

Thank you! I don't know Chicago that well, but I find this stuff super interesting. If anyone knows Chicago well and can tell, that'd be awesome.

Tarkus

Oh god dammit, I clicked on the link to alternate universe PoliGAF, where Maddow is a Fox News Blonde. At least I'll finally see some well thought out posts from Tesseract, although it'll be kind of bummer seeing pigeon shitpost about how Bill Clinton doesn't deserve the Republican nomination. Or adam with his Girls Gone Wild gifs.
She's okay, I wouldn't push her out of bed. But, Fox News blonde she is not.

I don't think he would have done that well.

Even though he'd pull votes away from both.

It's not like he hasn't tried before.

---

Someone should just find a Carson quote. Fruit salad. Eh it's only four years.

Or Cuban Mistress Crisis. But it's a bit crass.

Tarkus

I didn't know that second-rate loan officers got town cars to ride around in.

Y2Kev

Hey. Hey.

Not cool brah. Only people from Ohio get to shit on the shit stain that is Ohio.

Plus, you get used to the smell and the deep, deep sense of depression that fills your very soul. Also, how the hell did they let you out of Ohio once you got here? I thought we were tagging people on the way in now.
i think I flew into Some other place.

Oh maybe Shittsburgh?

It makes perfect sense, a lot of these people are Republican voters still registered as Democrats in closed states. They hate Hillary and Obama and also think Bernie would be easier to beat in November. There's little reason to think Biden would win these voters.

Fair enough, but that means they voted for Bernie because he was "Not Hillary." If there's another "Not Hillary," who happens to be a white, working class male, I think Biden picks up enough of those voters to make a difference. I'm also not convinced people really care enough to strategically vote in a primary when they're going to vote GOP in November anyway. If these are people who actually care enough to vote in a primary, I'd think they'd have been more interested in determining their nominee since the GOP side is still competitive.

It makes perfect sense, if you consider that people who hate Hillary because A) she's a woman, B) she's been slandered for a quarter century, C) she's the usurper black man's successor would prioritize that hatred over getting a less liberal President.

I can agree with this two, which is why I think Biden had an angle in the race. I think he'd have gotten the bulk of the "Not Clinton" vote that went to Bernie because it had no where else to go. I think Biden running in 2nd consistently would have been enough of an oxygen suck to make it improbable for Bernie to catch on enough to win a decent amount of delegates.

Of course it makes sense, with the supreme court on the line, I'm sure a lot of Republicans are more interested in having the easier opponent (Bernie) than a particular Republican

I guess my thing is I don't buy that type of strategic voting, although I don't doubt the GOP wants Bernie more than I want a glass of wine at the moment.

I've actually been thinking about why Hillary does so poorly in caucus states. I think a lof ot it stems from them, typically, being deep red states. Even Democrats there have probably heard the Hate Hillary shit for so long it's completely internalized now.

NeoXChaos

Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn 59m59 minutes ago Washington, DC
In remaining states with closed primaries: 18-29 year olds are 16.3% of non-GOP RVs, but 13.4% of registered Democrats, per L2 data

Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn 1h1 hour ago Washington, DC
Voters over age 70 are 20.8% of registered Dems, 15% of non-Republicans

The closed primary issue might hurt Bernie most in Oregon. 16.6% of non-GOP vtrs are ages 18-29 in Oregon, but just 11.0% of registered Dems

Even more acute among whites: just 11% of white registered Dems in remaining closed states are 18-29, per L2 data

Part of the closed primary problem for Bernie: 14% of reg Ds are 18-29 v. 16% of all RVs, per L2 data

I've actually been thinking about why Hillary does so poorly in caucus states. I think a lof ot it stems from them, typically, being deep red states. Even Democrats there have probably heard the Hate Hillary shit for so long it's completely internalized now.
Colorado, Minnesota, Washington, Hawaii, etc.

Come on you can do better than that, this is "Hillary can only win red states" level.

Well, Youngstown is one of the notches in the Rust Belt, and is also full of Pittsburgh Steelers fans.

Oh, well, Pittsburgh is way, way worse than anything in Ohio.

Annnnd we're done here.

gaugebozo

Hey. Hey.

As kids, us Michiganders used to make fun of Ohio (maybe still pissed over Toledo going to Ohio and not Michigan?)

Then I visited friends in Cleveland, Cincinnati and Oxford and really liked them. Instead, let's just make fun of Indiana.

I think the fact that Bernie does as well with supposed conservative Democratic voters as he does with liberal Democrats speaks more to the fact that no one really knows what the hell they're talking about when describing their political views.

Or more specifically that how someone defines a conservative is very dependent on self.

Colorado, Minnesota, Washington, Hawaii, etc.

Come on you can do better than that, this is "Hillary can only win red states" level.

I should have been clearer, although I did mention red states in my post. Places like Idaho, Utah, Kansas, and Nebraska were what I was referring to.

She won Colorado in 2008, so that wouldn't be applicable to my point, nor yours. (Edit: Totally wrong about CO, sorry. Too many states in my head). Washington, anyone with half a brain knew how that one was going to go. Minnesota is also liberal, but she did better there in 2016 than in 2008.

The one that legitimately surprises me is Hawaii. I thought she should have done better than than she did.

I'm not saying she doesn't have a caucus problem, because she does. Luckily, they're mostly over and done with. There are examples from 2008 when there were caucuses and then primaries in the same states. She always did better, sometimes significantly better, in the primary than the caucus. I'm not solely blaming that on the decades of right wing smear she's dealt with.

I'm just throwing ideas out there of why western red states, with higher proportions of white people, seem to have a more negative opinion of her than southern red states. I think that's because of demographics, obviously, but I also think that decades of hearing shit about her and Bill could have also had a material impact on the race.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

NeoXChaos

I should have been clearer, although I did mention red states in my post. Places like Idaho, Utah, Kansas, and Nebraska were what I was referring to.

She won Colorado in 2008, so that wouldn't be applicable to my point, nor yours. Washington, anyone with half a brain knew how that one was going to go. Minnesota is also liberal, but she did better there in 2016 than in 2008.

The one that legitimately surprises me is Hawaii. I thought she should have done better than than she did.

I'm not saying she doesn't have a caucus problem, because she does. Luckily, they're mostly over and done with. There are examples from 2008 when there were caucuses and then primaries in the same states. She always did better, sometimes significantly better, in the primary than the caucus. I'm not solely blaming that on the decades of right wing smear she's dealt with.

I'm just throwing ideas out there of why western red states, with higher proportions of white people, seem to have a more negative opinion of her than southern red states. I think that's because of demographics, obviously, but I also think that decades of hearing shit about her and Bill could have also had a material impact on the race.

She lost CO in 08. The ONLY caucus she will end up winning that she lost in 08 will be IA.

She lost MT by 15 in 08 but won SD by 9. How?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom