• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vice reporter gets mad at people saying Ralph "Obama is an Uncle Tom" Nader is a racist.

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/739972802552430592

(Ralph Nader's "point" was that anti-black "jokebooks" helped diffuse the tension of the white working class).

Marxists pick up the NeoNazi term "identitarian" that literally no one other than anime avatars with Trump hats on Twitter uses to talk about stuff.

Ck8l-PjUoAARWJC.jpg

Editor of leading Marxist magazine refuses to believe people in West Virginia are racist and ignores that 95% of Democrat loses from the white working class in the last 50 years came from the Deep South.

https://twitter.com/ckilpatrick/status/742794196059336705

Lydia DePillis just interviewed the consumer advocate for Pacific Standard, and one question she posed was: "Do you think Trump has a point about political correctness? That we've gotten too uptight?" Nader's response: "Oh, yeah. You see it on campuses—what is it called, trigger warnings? It's gotten absurd. I mean, you repress people, you engage in anger, and what you do is turn people into skins that are blistered by moonbeams. Young men now are far too sensitive because they've never been in a draft. They've never had a sergeant say, 'Hit the ground and do 50 push-ups and I don't care if there's mud there.'"

But the really interesting part of the interview came right before that, when DePillio asked what Trump's popularity suggests to Nader about the electorate:

NADER: [Y]ou see this when you walk past construction sites and you talk with white male workers, they feel they have been verbally repressed. It's hard for someone your age to understand what I'm about to say. They like to stand on a corner and whistle at a pretty lady. They like to flirt. But they can't do that anymore. Multiply that across the continuum. You can't say this about that, and you can't say that about this. And the employer tells you to hush. And perhaps your spouse tells you to hush, and your kids tell you to hush. So they have a whole language that they inherited—ethnic words like Polack. A lot of these people grew up on ethnic jokes, which are totally taboo now. Do you know, Lydia, there are no ethnic-joke books in bookstores anymore?

DEPILLIS: There used to be?

NADER: All the time. There were Negro-joke books, Jewish-joke books, Polish-joke books, Italian-joke books. They used ethnic jokes to reduce tension in the 1930s, '40s, '50s. And they'd laugh at each other's jokes and hurl another one. But it still flows through ethnic America, you know. There are hundreds of things that people would like to say. So here's this guy—he doubles down on them, he blows their minds. So that's the first way he got their attention.

Now, Nader's never been focused on so-called "identity" issues—he takes the usual liberal positions on social issues most of the time, but he's also the man who once responded to a question about same-sex marriage by saying he wasn't "interested in gonadal politics."

Good god Nader is trash. Men need the draft! Women ought to be catcalled and we need racist jokebooks.

Christ.

We're trying to get tickets for Chicago, which literally went on sale less than an hour ago.

And the musical isn't really inconsistent with the bolded, it just doesn't touch on it. There's nothing more American than a guy who pulled himself up saying "I got mine" to people who don't. It was pretty clear in the musical that he helped himself up in part by catering to bankers.

As far as RENT-- we just won't discuss that. My favorite modern musicals are Fun Home and Hedwig.

Also on Google Play Music, which is where I heard it.

This guy gets it.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
We're trying to get tickets for Chicago, which literally went on sale less than an hour ago.

And the musical isn't really inconsistent with the bolded, it just doesn't touch on it. There's nothing more American than a guy who pulled himself up saying "I got mine" to people who don't. It was pretty clear in the musical that he helped himself up in part by catering to bankers.

As far as RENT-- we just won't discuss that. My favorite modern musicals are Fun Home and Hedwig.

Also on Google Play Music, which is where I heard it.

Hush you. Rent is awesome. As for tickets - yeah - the missus and I are probably going to get season tickets this year for the Paramount here just so maybe we have a prayer of getting Hamilton tickets next year here lol.

Fair enough - that is the American way hah. I think LMM pushing diversity in Broadway with a play about Hamilton is levels of hysterically awesome, admittedly. :-D. There's something amazingly subversive about that to me.

This guy gets it.

Hedwig is in this year's season ticket package, one of the reasons I'm thinking about it.

Missus and I are debating trying to get tickets to the July 9th Hamilton show instead of doing a honeymoon lol. Because they are that expensive <cry>.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Don't get your hopes up. They let Lieberman keep his chair even though he endorsed McCain/Palin and spoke at the RNC.

I'm hesitant to believe there will ever be a worse political candidate choice than Lieberman as VP. Gore screwed that one up all the way through.

This guy gets it.

Origin of Love is my favorite song ever, probably.

Even if I don't believe in the concept of "the One" and the idea is refuted by the play itself at the end.

If I need to cry for some reason, I can just play that song.

And Cybit, yes, wonderfully subversive. But also subversive about the presumptions about rich white people and their motivations. Humanizes Hamilton at that same time as it overturns his belief in aristocracy. The only thing it doesn't do is call him out as the hypocrite he was.

Origin of Love is my favorite song ever, probably.

Even if I don't believe in the concept of "the One" and the idea is refuted by the play itself at the end.

If I need to cry for some reason, I can just play that song.

Origin of Love is great. For me, it's Midnight Radio. That song gets me deep. Not sure why but it does.

Hillary stay surrendering herself with accomplished women, and a lot of minority women at that.

I see you out there

Ya but hot sauce doe....

She embraces her wonk. God, I love it.

/s4p is all happy that a Berniecrat finished 2nd behind Pelosi....She only finished 70 points ahead of the Berniecrat...but she's going to have to keep watching over her shoulder all season because of them.

Ugh.

HIT HIM QUEEN

Every major presidential candidate over the last four decades has released their tax returns

Sorry Bernie lol

Editor of leading Marxist magazine refuses to believe people in West Virginia are racist and ignores that 95% of Democrat loses from the white working class in the last 50 years came from the Deep South.

https://twitter.com/ckilpatrick/status/742794196059336705
But West Virginia voted for our lord and savior Bernie Sanders, how could they be racist :(

Rolling my eyes at Hillary's current views on trade. No voters care other than hardcore Trumpers. You're not going to renegotiate a single trade deal in office, Hillary.

This seems ok? Hopefully it can reach 60 (not like the House is going to do shit about it though). And we still need to expand background checks.

When Collins said she was working on alternate legislation, I was worried it'd be another "Obamacare replacement" thing where they keep promising an alternative as a way of shooting down the Democrats' proposal but never pony up.

Trump begging for money and promising to match "some" of the fundraising is laughable. I'm surprised he agreed to such a move given his arrogance; this makes him look bad, and the timing is even worse. Say what you want about Trump but he's clearly quite smart about television and media; he knows how to dominate or distract the media. The fact that he dumped his campaign manager on the same Monday he had to meet a FEC deadline with an ugly report suggests his campaign is very off script now. You would have expected them to fire Cory on this upcoming Friday, blame the FEC report on his strategy, and then have Trump give his "major" Clinton speech next Monday (the 27th) to change the subject and sent out some "pivot" pieces to journalists.

They're rushing and aimless. And the best thing is that he's so undisciplined that he'll screw this up in a day, a week, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom