• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

fauxtrot

Banned
Regardless of whether he's chosen for the VP slot, anyone think we could see Kaine running in 2024? He'd only be 66.

I could definitely see him running in 2024. I have a feeling he'd have made an attempt this cycle had it not been for everyone knowing Hillary was the shoe-in candidate. Now, do I think he'd have a chance? That's a different story entirely... who knows what things will look like 2 election cycles from now.

pigeon

Banned
Regardless of whether he's chosen for the VP slot, anyone think we could see Kaine running in 2024? He'd only be 66.

He's too unknown. I still don't really know who he is and I've read like three articles about him!

Also frankly I'm done with old people. One of the best things Obama brought to the job was actually being young enough to understand what people were talking about and how technology functions.

Ugh UK. Seriously why are you voting for this?

Europe continues its rightward shift all because immigrants and poor people in eastern Europe.

Why are we shamed for our right wing? If remain loses you literally voted for the same thing as trumps wall.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yikes. Sunderland voted 61-39 to leave.

Don't crash the world economy, England.

fauxtrot

Banned
Where are y'all getting up to date Brexit numbers? Google still shows only 1.3% reporting, which it's been at for a half hour or so.

HylianTom

Banned
So how long before V for Vendetta is a reality?

I'm a single puppy-dad this weekend (husband is out of town), so my plan was to watch many hours of bad sci-fi/monster movies and Breath of the Wild demos (no two playthroughs are the same!).. but I might have to add Children of Men to my watch list.

Lewandowski just said Hillary's e-mail server "was hiding in someone's bathroom". This guy is stealing money from CNN

It's not theft if they got what they paid for.

Does anyone have a quick TLDR as to why this happened?

Didn't Cameron bring this up, hoping for a giant Remain win, and now there's a chance the bluff blows up in his (and all of the UK's) face? I didn't keep up with it for the last few months since I was so sure Remain would win. The last few weeks have been insane.

What happens if it does vote leave? Is the UK just legally bound to leave the EU with no recourse?

I don't think the referendum is legally binding, but there's no universe in which the government won't go along with it.

If they do leave, Osborne is going to be out sooner rather than later, and Cameron is out by the end of the year/beginning of the next.

Tubie

What if the UK crashes the world economy and that gives us President Trump...

Nahhhh it's still to early to freak out.

What if the UK crashes the world economy and that gives us President Trump...

Nahhhh it's still to early to freak out.

Considering he supported Leave, any disaster that comes with the UK leaving the EU should be tied to the severe judgment issues he's displayed so far.

This feels like watching the primaries when all the peeshot counties with 13 people living there all reported early and made the totals all wacky. "Bernie is winning New York by 30% oh my god" because some micro-town in the Adirondacks reported their results first, and stuff like that lol

shem935

Banned
I don't think the referendum is legally binding, but there's no universe in which the government won't go along with it.

If they do leave, Osborne is going to be out sooner rather than later, and Cameron is out by the end of the year/beginning of the next.

Why would Cameron be out by the end of the year? Heard a lot of people mention this but I don't really understand why. Failure of leadership or something?

How often do straight dudes give other dudes clothing of any kind, let alone v-neck sweaters? Have I been a bad friend? Should I be buying sweaters for my bros?
haha I've bought soccer jerseys for my friends as random gifts.
A good article on how the Republican party may be going somewhere with Trump at the helm that may make them a minority party for at least a generation: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/07/the-white-strategy/485612/?utm_source=atltw

... and that it's over an issue that is not as big of a problem as they make it out to be.
This is a good read. I suspect it will ultimately be proven right. As a Mexican immigrant this part was really really on point

As Latinos assimilate, whites become less hostile to them. A forthcoming article in the American Sociological Review by Ariela Schachter, a graduate student in sociology at Stanford, shows that whites are more comfortable having Latinos as neighbors if those Latinos speak English well, work in high-status occupations, have a white spouse, were born in the United States, and are in the United States legally. When Latinos look and sound like Marco Rubio or the NFL quarterback Mark Sanchez, whites are less likely to stigmatize them.

There is this really gross attitude that article alludes to that I have encountered in my life. If you're perceived as 'white enough' then you're 'one of the good ones' and not a problem. Its as if these racists think that having a good job or being able to speak english well are attributes that belong to whites and therefore having those attributes means you're not really Latino and therefore not a threat.

The whole having a white wife thing is also real. My in laws have all terrible views of race and think Im just some special snowflake of a Mexican. One time, they asked me to go speak to a couple Hispanic guys who were working on the open field next door. Afterward, they tried to make a point that I spoke *their* language like they were really trying to disassociate my being from the people working on the yard next door.

Its just a bit disappointing when you have people who are nice to you but only once they have mentally stripped your racial identity of the parts they think are inferior.

Analysing the Kettering result

Professor John Curtice
Polling expert
Posted at
20:11
The 39% vote for Remain here is just a little below what we would expect if the country were heading for a 50-50 outcome.

We now have had a number of results which suggest that the outcome is likely to be relatively close and that the large swing to Leave in Newcastle and Sunderland may be atypical.

Nevertheless at the moment at least the Leave side are favourites to win this referendum - but there is still a very long way to go.

God damn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom