• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright Queen.

It's up to you. If you want me to become an American citizen and vote for your re-election in 2020 you better win in 2016.

I know you want that. I know you will fight for me. Oh please Queen. Please fight for me, so I can turn my back on the UK as they have turned their back on the rest of the world.

Good luck getting back into Europe in ten years British brothers and sisters. You're almost certainly going to want to.

Wave goodbye to Scotland.

And David Cameron?

You fucking idiot.

Alright Queen.

It's up to you. If you want me to become an American citizen and vote for your re-election in 2020 you better win in 2016.

I know you want that. I know you will fight for me. Oh please Queen. Please fight for me, so I can turn my back on the UK as they have turned their back on the rest of the world.

Good luck getting back into Europe in ten years British brothers and sisters. You're almost certainly going to want to.

Wave goodbye to Scotland.

And David Cameron?

You fucking idiot.

tumblr_inline_mw82zbU9k41rtp7x5.gif

Legislature would declare No Confidence and oust him.

What if he delays and drags his feet, and in the meantime, the House of Commons comes to its senses and votes it down themselves? Seems likely that "Leave" is about to get a lot less popular in the coming weeks.

We cannot yet rest! The US won't be able to prove itself to finally be better than the UK until Trump loses in November. I've got to say, I didn't think I'd see the switchover during my lifetime.

A 10-15% currency swing is Bitcoin levels of volatility. Except that it's real money.

There's no way Cameron could successfully ignore the referendum. The people have voted. Ignoring them will only hurt the people currently in power. Anyone wanting to win the next election will have to run on a platform of honoring that vote.

As they turn to focusing on minimizing the damage from this, part of that will be protecting themselves from the next vote, and there is only one way to do this.

I believe it won't be a catastrophe. Though I do believe it will leave Britain worse off.

But mainly, it just further pushes Britain towards the right. Towards isolationism. Towards nationalism with undertones of racism. It is a sad day for me to see, clearly, where my country stands on such issues.

And wave goodbye to Scotland. And Northern Island. And watch the remnants of the UK get even more rightwing as a result.

Dierce

I don't understand the reasoning behind why a prime minister, president or any head of state would put a trade agreement deal let alone one involving so many complexities as the EU up to the vote of the population. Also knowing that there is a chance that it will go completely wrong and ruin your career.

Effect

He doesn't have George's balls, but if he did he could.

He's screwed either way. It's not like he has anything to lose at this point. The markets crashing over the next few days might give him some cover if he just refuses to go through with the legal paper work.

Emarv

Funny how Obama had to come in and help stabilize the American economy, and now Clinton might have to do the same but for the global economy.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't understand the reasoning behind why a prime minister, president or any head of state would put a trade agreement deal let alone one involving so many complexities as the EU up to the vote of the population. Let alone knowing that there is a chance that it will go completely wrong and ruin your career.

Because he is a coward and wanted to win the election. If he had any balls he would have never let this happen. He should have said he'd do it and then after winning shown them the finger

Sibylus

Banned
Scotland voted 100% remain. Northern Ireland is majority remain.

Will Downing Street force them out of the EU too? Gluck keeping Britain intact
smile.gif

There's no way Cameron could successfully ignore the referendum. The people have voted. Ignoring them will only hurt the people currently in power. Anyone wanting to win the next election will have to run on a platform of honoring that vote.

As they turn to focusing on minimizing the damage from this, part of that will be protecting themselves from the next vote, and there is only one way to do this.

I believe it won't be a catastrophe. Though I do believe it will leave Britain worse off.

But mainly, it just further pushes Britain towards the right. Towards isolationism. Towards nationalism with undertones of racism. It is a sad day for me to see, clearly, where my country stands on such issues.

And wave goodbye to Scotland. And Northern Island. And watch the remnants of the UK get even more rightwing as a result.

I think we can at least agree that if Cameron tries to ignore the referendum, it should be called "The Costanza Option."

I don't understand the reasoning behind why a prime minister, president or any head of state would put a trade agreement deal let alone one involving so many complexities as the EU up to the vote of the population. Also knowing that there is a chance that it will go completely wrong and ruin your career.

It was a gamble.

Clearly a bad one.

If remain had won, it would have strengthened ties with Europe, done what he wanted, and he did run on holding such a referendum so would have followed through with it.

Alas that did not happen.

So he can be known throughout history as the fucking idiot who let Britain leave Europe. And who probably pushed Scotland to leave the UK. And Northern Island.

Congrats!

pigeon

Banned
I don't understand the reasoning behind why a prime minister, president or any head of state would put a trade agreement deal let alone one involving so many complexities as the EU up to the vote of the population. Let alone knowing that there is a chance that it will go completely wrong and ruin your career.

That's the saddest part of the whole thing. This is the kind of thing benjipwns will be posting about in fifty or sixty years.*

In the last election the polls were suggesting that Labor was going to win by a nose. Cameron got spooked and decided that UKIP was siphoning too many Tory votes away. So he promised the referendum to get those votes back.

But then the shy Tory vote turned out and the Conservatives got a huge majority. They almost certainly would've stayed in power even without saying anything about the referendum. Which would mean that Cameron wouldn't be giving the Queen his final regards right about now.

benjipwns is immortal

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It was a gamble.

Clearly a bad one.

If remain had won, it would have strengthened ties with Europe, done what he wanted, and he did run on holding such a referendum so would have followed through with it.

Alas that did not happen.

So he can be known throughout history as the fucking idiot who let Britain leave Europe. And who probably pushed Scotland to leave the UK. And Northern Island.

Congrats!

Hey, Irish unification would be a big deal.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Scotland voted 100% remain. Northern Ireland is majority remain.

Will Downing Street force them out of the EU too? Gluck keeping Britain intact
smile.gif

Will they force London out?!?
Ha.

The European Province of London and Scotland.

I don't think Cameron is going to survive a no-confidence vote.

in a British Parliamentary system, the ruling majority party (Tories) can kick out the Prime Minister (Cameron) and replace him with a new one without an election

most likely he will resign either by his own accord or by pressure from pro-Leave Tory MPs.

So if the United Kingdom of Great Britain loses NI and Scotland, what do we call it? Still the UK?

I mean two countries isn't very impressive. The United Kingdom of two countries, perhaps? Cause I don't think you could call it great Britain any more.

And goodbye to the Union Flag. I'll miss that.

So if the United Kingdom of Great Britain loses NI and Scotland, what do we call it? Still the UK?

I mean two countries isn't very impressive. The United Kingdom of two countries, perhaps? Cause I don't think you could call it great Britain any more.

Not being glib, but you could call it "The United Kingdoms" I guess....

kess

There's some real Infowars conspiracy level posting from the Leave supporters over on the main board. Supranational governments, my ass. Things are going to get cheaper (for Americans, lol).

Is it wrong to boil this down to old people are fucking racist?

I think the nicest you can say is that they're self interested.

That's the nicest I can come up with. People working and in the job market WANTED to stay in Europe. This will effect them the most, not just overall, but right away.

And pensioners tipped the scales.

My parents bitch about immigrants taking all the jobs. YOU ARE BOTH RETIRED. THE PEOPLE HUNTING FOR JOBS WANTED TO REMAIN IN EUROPE.

But whatever. It's done now. I still love them. I'm just ready to turn my back on my nationality thanks to people like them.

The United Kingdom of England and Wales.

Sibylus

Banned

The United Kingdom of England and Wales

And Cornwall.

Geg

So can the UK leave the EU, say "See everyone, we fulfilled our obligation to leave the EU!" and immediately rejoin?

So can the UK leave the EU, say "See everyone, we fulfilled our obligation to leave the EU!" and immediately rejoin?

No. See, the terms for rejoining will be the EUs to set, and you can bet they wouldn't be as favorable as the ones that Britain currently has.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The EU would make them eat shit if they tried that. If the UK leaves and then tries to get back in they're going to be the EU's bitch for the rest of time.

Dierce

I know that this thread is for US politics but since we are in the topic and if anyone knows this I would be interested in hearing about what you think happens to the Labour party now. Do they kick out Corbyn and adopt more nationalistic views? I feel very sorry for those who didn't want this to happen and I hope that this nationalistic fervor doesn't carry over to other countries. Our world needs more unity now more than ever.

royalan

Wow, just got in from drinks.

So, Brexit is happening. Can't believe it.

And in all the hubub, apparently Bernie Sanders did a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom