• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, my girlfriend thinks her ex is coming back from China and might try to kill her.

I am fucking terrified right now. The Chinese government won't do anything.

Why won't this guy jump in front of a train already, fuck.

FUCK.

I'm not hand-waving it? I'm saying they're one and the same thing. Level of education is a good predictor of class; and the causality runs both ways - better education makes getting a better job more easy, and people from wealthier families tend to get better educations.

But it clearly isn't. Certainly there is an overlap between the two groups but there are meaningful examples of higher-income areas voting to leave versus almost literally no community with above average education voting that way. Surely there are some parts of England that have invested in education but not seen income gains from it. Why didn't they vote to leave?

Edit: To clarify why I'm making this point. It seems to me that there are areas of England much like Kentucky and West Virginia in the US. They have been really hurt by globalization and government should do more to help them but those people make it really hard. They, seemingly, aren't interested in alternative industries and instead want to keep having high-paying coal jobs. Those jobs aren't compatible with keeping the planet liveable and those communities need to adjust to that or they are going to continue suffering.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
But it clearly isn't. Certainly there is an overlap between the two groups but there are meaningful examples of higher-income areas voting to leave versus almost literally no community with above average education voting that way. Surely there are some parts of England that have invested in education but not seen income gains from it. Why didn't they vote to leave?

So, firstly, this wasn't just an England thing. I live in Wales, sadly we voted to leave too. Nobody calls America California, so extend some common courtesy. Secondly, you're misunderstanding how stratified British social mobility is, and how homogeneous educational funding is across the UK; we're not like America. Cambridge doesn't have a high proportion of graduates because Cambridgeshire invests a lot of money in education (if anything, they do the opposite, they're a terrible council); Cambridge has a high proportion of graduates because it has the University of Cambridge. The UK has huge problems with urban areas - especially London - sucking in everyone with a degree of talent. So it's not disparities in educational investment across different areas; rather, different areas show different educational achievements because the underlying economic conditions cause that.

It seems the DNC platform committee voted down some of Bernie's proposals, including $15.

And now we see how far Bernie's willing to go for his platform positions.

Hopefully he's just full of hot air.

On an actual policy note, I'm more in favor of 12 than 15, though I haven't done a tone of number crunching. Minimum is too low right now, obviously, but 15 strikes me as being way too high for a national floor.

teiresias

I think it's pretty clear the same political rhetoric used towards Middle Eastern countries that are hostile to their minority populations needs to start being used towards the UK.

This:
Ill-vs-Good-768x757.jpg

. . . tells me 52% of the UK would feel right at home in a Protestant/Catholic version of Iran or Saudi Arabia.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
$15 is to damn high. I would love it but I fear the impact of it

12 is much closer than 15 to where it should be based on inflation. Actually it's a bit on the high end. However, It's amazing and depressing that it's still 7.25.

The risks are too high to go even further, even distributing the increase of $4.75 / hr over several years, it's a significant increase and the pushback from more moderate districts will be significant enough at 12. Especially in areas where the cost of living is significantly lower.

Edit: I should note that I was against a national $15/hr wage years ago as being too high.

kirblar

12 is much closer than 15 to where it should be based on inflation. Actually it's a bit on the high end. However, It's amazing and depressing that it's still 7.25.

The risks are too high to go even further, even distributing the increase of $4.75 / hr over several years, it's a significant increase and the pushback from more moderate districts will be significant enough at 12. Especially in areas where the cost of living is significantly lower.
We're actually not that far off the inflation-adjusted peak. It definitely needs to go up, but being cautious is not a bad thing here.

Hey, Adam. I'm at a Panic! At The Disco concert. What are their good songs?

ALL OF THEM

Don't Threaten Me With a Good Time
Victorious
They'll do Bohemian Rhapsody too, probably.
Emperor's New Clothes is good too

My two favorite songs are Build God then We'll Talk and Northern Downpour, but they don't do those live anymore :(

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
We're actually not that far off the inflation-adjusted peak. It definitely needs to go up, but being cautious is not a bad thing here.

Based on BLS Data the highest it's been is 10.55.

I at least expect that to pass. 7.25 is a joke in comparison to even 10.55.

Edit: You can justify breaking that to a degree due to an increase in GDP per capita.

Like, is anyone going to point out the fact that any armed conflict between Texas and the US would involve nukes, and that sooooooooooort of makes every other comparison a moot point?

I highly doubt such a conflict would go that far. The US wouldn't have any need of that (since they'd still be superior, and wouldn't need nukes), and TX would know that. If they used nukes, they'd only get destroyed in the process. This would clearly be worse than just re-entering the US.

And, yeah, we're basically just PoliGAF 1855 on this topic haha.

Edit:
And now we see how far Bernie's willing to go for his platform positions.

Hopefully he's just full of hot air.

On an actual policy note, I'm more in favor of 12 than 15, though I haven't done a tone of number crunching. Minimum is too low right now, obviously, but 15 strikes me as being way too high for a national floor.

Yeah, $15/hr is getting close to the median income in Mississippi. MS is the state where you set the minimum wage. That's the whole point of it being a floor.

User1608

Banned
That is fucking fantastic
It really is.

It's great to see one candidate give a shit about us and our families. Hillary is fighting for everybody here, regardless of status, and it feels nice not to be excluded. Those opening paragraphs really resonated with me. It's just me and my mom with siblings who are citizens, so we are mixed status too.

I'm never giving up.

johnsmith

remember me
Is there any minority group besides Cubans that actually favors the GOP? I can't think of one, and even Cubans are 50/50 right now and trending left.

Vahagn

indian people, Asian people, black people, Latino people, are all vastly liberal. As they should be.

Also the "leave vote wasn't white supremacy because economics" is like the "civil war wasn't fought over slavery but states rights" argument.

Seriously folks, you're embarrassing yourselves.

Asians adore Obama. Even the countries that have some animosity towards black people still love him. My Taiwanese roommate always said how popular he is back there.

3phemeral

Wow, this speech by Congresswoman Dingell during the sit-in is powerful stuff.

I feel this House is torn in a way that I feel torn. I’m married to a man… You all know how much I love John Dingell. He’s the most important thing in my life. And yet for 35 years, there’s been a source of tension between the two of us. He is a responsible gun owner. He believes in the Constitution. I respect that.

I don’t want to take his gun away or anybody else’s gun. But I lived in a house with a man that should not have had access to a gun. I know what it’s like to see a gun pointed at you and wonder if you were going to live. And I know what it’s like to hide in a closet and pray to God, “Do not let anything happen to me.” And we have never… We don’t talk about it. We don’t want to say that it happens in all kinds of households. And we still live in a society where we will let a convicted felon who was stalking somebody of domestic abuse, still own a gun.

bpayjyk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom