• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

Even in safe areas ("safe"), it's always in the back of your mind.

In my borough we have a young, gay Chief Inspector in the police force. He's senior in the police, 6"2 and extremely well built due to all the sport he play.

A few months ago whilst off duty, he had his front tooth broken in a hate crime attack in the middle of Soho, London's main gay area.

As many advances as we have made, and as far as things have come, that threat still hangs over us - and it's stoked by the people calling us sinners, calling for us to not have equal rights, and by everyone who preaches intolerance.

TheFatOne

What do you even do, when any effort you make on gun control is blocked by our Congress

We need to take the Senate and House so badly, and we need serious gun control reform.
Man I wish I could do something to help in the swing states. Being in Mass. means it's going to be blue. I know the demographics heavily favor the Dems, but man we can't allow Trump to become president. Dream scenario is that the Dems get control of the House and the Senate. Getting the House seems highly unlikely though.

ampere

If we manage to get both of them with decent majorities, gun control needs to be first on the docket. If only to stop this sort of thing from happening again and again.

Yea, similar to preventing a lunatic like Trump from having nuclear access codes, or ignoring the immediacy of climate change, we need improved gun control so that so many people aren't being killed. It's really a issue of immediate importance

Man I wish I could do something to help in the swing states. Being in Mass. means it's going to be blue. I know the demographics heavily favor the Dems, but man we can't allow Trump to become president. Dream scenario is that the Dems get control of the House and the Senate. Getting the House seems highly unlikely though.

I'm gonna figure out some way I can help here in Georgia, though I highly doubt we can swing Senate/House seats even if we do manage to swing blue in the presidential race

Jesus Christ.
Another friend of mine was at the club last night. He and his fiancee were there celebrating their engagement. They left about 10 minutes before the shooting.

Christ.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I can understand why, but I'm disappointed in Obama. He has a few more months to go. I would have liked him to show the same fiery passion he did after the Oregon shooting. Call the GOP out. Bring up that legislation was blocked 6 months ago that would have stopped people on a Terrorist Watch list from buying guns.

Again, I understand he's done this 15 times before. But I wish he didn't look so broken, and outright defeated on this issue.

HylianTom

Banned
Jesus Christ.
Another friend of mine was at the club last night. He and his fiancee were there celebrating their engagement. They left about 10 minutes before the shooting.

Christ.

Holy hell, that was close.

I just heard from an old college friend who lives in Orlando and goes to Pulse all the time. He was out of town.

olympia

If we manage to get both of them with decent majorities, gun control needs to be first on the docket. If only to stop this sort of thing from happening again and again.

yeah, progressives showing up to midterm elections would be a good start for any chance of federal gun control policy passing in the next few years

it's hard not to get poli this when this attack is arguably a result of public policy no matter which way you lean on it

TheFatOne

Hey Poligaf I can't find the crisis hotline number to call if you are trying to find information about a loved one. I have a friend who is worried about her brother who is a gay man that lives in Orlando.

Edit: A kind gaffer in the other thread found it for me.

Holy hell, that was close.

I just heard from an old college friend who lives in Orlando and goes to Pulse all the time. He was out of town.

His boyfriend is freaking out because they invited like 10 of their friends. They've gotten in touch with some of them but not all of them.

HylianTom

Banned
Hey Poligaf I can't find the crisis hotline number to call if you are trying to find information about a loved one. I have a friend who is worried about her brother who is a gay man that lives in Orlando.

The City of Orlando's crisis hotline for folks searching for their family members:
(407) 246-4357

His boyfriend is freaking out because they invited like 10 of their friends. They've gotten in touch with some of them but not all of them.
Dear god.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

(407) 246-4357 is the number. I hope he's ok.

Give them the number above, it might be able to help them. Really hope they're ok.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/obama-to-gun-owners-im-not-looking-to-disarm-you/

I can't help but think that just ten days ago, the President was telling a gun shop owner that he was powerless to stop people that he KNOWS are on FBI watchlists for terrorism from getting guns because of our shitty gun laws.

And guess what? Authorities confirm that this nutter who shot up the club was - you guessed it - on an FBI watchlist.

The fact that this dude was able to supply himself with guns is pretty much the textbook definition of bullshit.

royalan

I can understand why, but I'm disappointed in Obama. He has a few more months to go. I would have liked him to show the same fiery passion he did after the Oregon shooting. Call the GOP out. Bring up that legislation was blocked 6 months ago that would have stopped people on a Terrorist Watch list from buying guns.

Again, I understand he's done this 15 times before. But I wish he didn't look so broken, and outright defeated on this issue.

I can allow Obama a human moment on this issue. I mean, how many times has he had to do this?

We live in a country where a majority of people and our government care more about making assault rifles easy to purchase than the lives those guns so easily take. It would be nice to see Obama rage, but it would be an act at this point, a cover for the reality that there's not a damn thing he can do here.

olympia

npr has very tasteful and careful live coverage if anyone is grossed out by cable news

e: scott horsley even admits that obama was pretty low key

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/obama-to-gun-owners-im-not-looking-to-disarm-you/

I can't help but think that just ten days ago, the President was telling a gun shop owner that he was powerless to stop people that he KNOWS are on FBI watchlists for terrorism from getting guns because of our shitty gun laws.

And guess what? Authorities confirm that this nutter who shot up the club was - you guessed it - on an FBI watchlist.

The fact that this dude was able to supply himself with guns is pretty much the textbook definition of bullshit.

He also reportedly beat his wife and her family had to rescue her. This guy was the textbook definition of someone who should not have had a gun.

ampere

We can't even STUDY gun violence because of the NRA

It's... so infuriating.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I can allow Obama a human moment on this issue. I mean, how many times has he had to do this?

We live in a country where a majority of people and our government care more about making assault rifles easy to purchase than the lives those guns so easily take. It would be nice to see Obama rage, but it would be an act at this point, a cover for the reality that there's not a damn thing he can do here.

He can not give up.

olympia

an NPR correspondent just said that the shooter a) had a firearms license and b) a security guard weapons license. they cut him off rather suddenly so who knows if it's actually confirmed.

While true, there are reports that the shooter pledged allegiance to ISIS, and that's why he was on the FBI watch list

he called 911 to pledge allegiance before the shooting, that's the only information that's publicly known iirc

While true, there are reports that the shooter pledged allegiance to ISIS, and that's why he was on the FBI watch list

That doesn't mean they orchestrated it. He can pledge to them because they're the big bag radical boogyman that he can use to tie himself and make himself important. A martyr.

ISIS had nothing to do with this other than being a good ideology to tie himself too tangentially. Allowing them to tie themselves to this just gives them more power.

Fear and terror is their power. Radicalizing the west against Muslims so they have nowhere to go but into the arms of ISIS is literally their ONLY goal.

studyguy

Eugh as unlikely as it is, my little sister is heading off to EDC this weekend.
Don't expect anything but it's unsettling all the same.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I...I used to go to that club. A lot.

Seriously? My brother did too while attending UCF. He is pretty fucking devastated right now. One of the people shot he is friends with.

I just got up so i'm still getting caught up and processing everything :(

ampere

That doesn't mean they orchestrated it.

Yeah, definitely agree.

he called 911 to pledge allegiance before the shooting, that's the only information that's publicly known iirc

he apparently "pledged allegiance" within the past week, he's been on watch lists a lot longer than that

Ah.

Infuriating that you can pass a background check while being on a watch list.

Yeah. What the hell is wrong with our system

olympia

Infuriating that you can pass a background check while being on a watch list.

the watchlist is toothless. up until recently, the watchlist had such classified and broad criteria so you could be on the watchlist for pretty much anything.

it's just become a meaningless catchall for doing something that the fbi simply deems suspect, even if the subject is completely innocuous. there ARE dangerous subjects on the watch list, but there are also plenty of people on there for no real reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom