• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

What is Bernie's endgame here? For fuck's sake.

He was lying to Obama when he asked "where do I land this thing?"

He's either lying or literally losing it. Maybe both.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Just watched Obama speak live in Canadian parliament, was supposed to be a 7-min speech, went 54 minutes. Covered a lot of ground, TPP, Nato, went in hard on Brexit and xenophobia and trade. Look for it on youtube at some point.

Brinbe

Breh... Do yourselves a favor and watch Obama's speech to CDN Parliament when you get a chance. Probably one of his best and that's no exaggeration. A thorough defense of progressive values and I got legit choked up at his talk of the idea of Canada/America being nations of immigrants and how shared values are what nations are built on.

I'm really gonna miss that man.

Guis. Guis.

Benchmark thinks those Ballotpedia polls look legit. So, you know, take that to the bank?

Also, in the SUSA FL poll....Trump is only winning Cubans 45/34.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Breh... Do yourselves a favor and watch Obama's speech to CDN Parliament when you get a chance. Probably one of his best and that's no exaggeration. A thorough defense of progressive values and I got legit choked up at his talk of the idea of Canada/America being nations of immigrants and how shared values are what nations are built on.

It was like watching Kobe drop 60, legit.

Diablos

Can't wait.

Great speech by Obama. Glad he took the time to address so many topics. I love how easily he speaks and hope Trudeau and the MPs will take a lot of what was said today to heart.

Iolo

What is Bernie's endgame here? For fuck's sake.

He was lying to Obama when he asked "where do I land this thing?"

He's either lying or literally losing it. Maybe both.

Relax mate. The computer has declared mate in 5 and Bernie is just moving his pieces randomly around and killing time.

The computer is the establishment

Emarv

The Pocahontas stuff really bothers me because the media knows it's offensive and juvenile, but just go along with it. I don't know how many times I've heard reporters say "And Elizabeth Warren, who Trump likes to call Pocahontas, blah blah".

It's ridiculous. But everyone just goes along with it because whatevs. It's like Redskins, right guys? Nobody really cares! ugh

This is what I predicted would happen some time back.

Exactly the same happened to Clinton in 2008. Thanks to the weirdness of the senate, it doesn't matter how big a movement you led, or how successful your campaign was. It means *nothing* in the Senate. Clinton wanted a healthcare panel or something - but Kennedy had seniority so she got nothing. It was one of the reasons she took the SoS job - in the senate she was just back to being the junior senator from New York.

Bernie won't get anything formal from this primary campaign that he wasn't already lined up for.

And unlike 2008 there is no incentive to giving him a cabinet position. Tying Hillary to the Obama administration was a good idea and worked out (rather than having her in the senate criticizing the administration). Whereas there is no potential damage to Sanders remaining in the senate criticizing the incoming democrat administration - he's been doing that for decades already. Nothing changes.

If he was smart he would have suspended his campaign and started holding rallies/fundraisers for progressive candidates at the state, local, and federal levels. Hillary was always going to gravitate towards Warren IMO, nothing would have changed that...but at least Sanders could have gotten in on the fun. Maybe doing some events with Warren, maybe Clinton. IE being a team player, because team players get rewarded in some form or fashion.

A friend of mine is in Pensacola for the weekend, and she's saying that Hillary is running ads up that way. If so, that's freaking insanely brilliant. It's deep red, but she's still investing the time/money. God, I feel like we may not fuck this up for once.

I can legit say that was one of Obama's best speeches he's given this presidency

I like Hilary but I'm going to be truly sad when he leaves.

Also I almost made myself vomit by thinking of the trash Trump would have spewed up there as president.

HylianTom

Banned
A friend of mine is in Pensacola for the weekend, and she's saying that Hillary is running ads up that way. If so, that's freaking insanely brilliant. It's deep red, but she's still investing the time/money. God, I feel like we may not fuck this up for once.
I can verify. Husband was in Mobile, Alabama last weekend, and the local channels were running pro-Hillary ads; this is a broadcast area that overlaps the northwestern corner of Florida. It's also a pretty cheap market to buy a decent amount of coverage. She's aiming to cut his margin in the Redneck Riviera.

Ophelion

If anyone questions that, point them to the Jeremy Corbyn thread.

They actually elected a Bernie, and now their Bern has progressed to a full on fungal infection.

Dude, the pro and con Corbyn arguments in that thread feel like the exact same ones made between Bernie supporters and Clinton supporters just a few months back. I got a real bad case of deja vu reading it over.

I can verify. Husband was in Mobile, Alabama last weekend, and the local channels were running pro-Hillary ads; this is a broadcast area that overlaps the northwestern corner of Florida. It's also a pretty cheap market to buy a decent amount of coverage. She's aiming to cut his margin in the Redneck Riviera.

That makes me insanely happy. There was a time in my life where I wanted to go to Pensacola Christian College. (Don't ask). Clinton's team is making all the right choices.

kirblar

Dude, the pro and con Corbyn arguments in that thread feel like the exact same ones made between Bernie supporters and Clinton supporters just a few months back. I got a real bad case of deja vu reading it over.
It's literally the same dynamic.

The difference is that in the UK, they don't have enough minority votes to stop it from happening. In the US they prevented Trump v Bernie (the white choices) from happening. In the UK, which is much more monolithic, there's a lack of diversity that firewalls against it.

Foffy

Banned
That makes me insanely happy. There was a time in my life where I wanted to go to Pensacola Christian College. (Don't ask). Clinton's team is making all the right choices.

I have to ask now, because of the awful C-word.

And it's not 'College'. ;)

Among Dems, it's 58/37, and they specifically named Sanders as opposed to just "someone else."

Some other polls from today:

Florida from Bay News 9/SUSA
Queen 46
Little Hands 42

North Carolina from Civitas (which is a GOP pollster)
Queen 42
Little Hands 40

New Hampshire from ARG
Queen 47
Little Hands 40

Also, Senate matchups

Florida from Bay News 9/SUSA

Little Marco 43
Made up Murphy 43

Hnnnghhh these Florida polls ain't lookin' so swingy. I don't know how much she can "pull away" in Florida but if she consistently has a five-ish point lead in late summer we're gonna have to find something else to talk about for two months.

I'd be more worried about Trump getting the nomination taken from him if I believed that the Republican party was functional enough to get everyone to agree on who they should nominate instead. If it isn't Trump than who? It won't be Ted, one reason why the nevertrump movement failed so badly is because they all hated him just as much if not more. Don't think Romney would be able to be rallied around again after losing. Paul Ryan wants nothing to do with this cycle.

I have to ask now, because of the awful C-word.

And it's not 'College'. ;)

When I was younger, I wanted to be a Christian school teacher or youth minister. I went to a Christian school. Used to be in church every single time the doors were open. My dad paid to have our church's youth building redone. My mom, grandma and I cleaned the church every single Saturday. I used to sing in a quartet through high school....

I definitely grew out of that phase, though. I still know way more about the Bible than one strictly needs to know...

Foffy

Banned
When I was younger, I wanted to be a Christian school teacher or youth minister. I went to a Christian school. Used to be in church every single time the doors were open. My dad paid to have our church's youth building redone. My mom, grandma and I cleaned the church every single Saturday. I used to sing in a quartet through high school....

I definitely grew out of that phase, though. I still know way more about the Bible than one strictly needs to know...

At least you got out of that bubble. Good on you. :3

Can drag queens go to church?

Hahaha, depends on the church. My church was an Independent, Fundamental, Pre-millennial KJV-1611 only baptist church. Drag queens probably wouldn't have been welcome. I'm pretty sure my parents and I were the only pro-choice, pro-LGBT people in the entire church.

One time our pastor told my mom I was going to grow up to be gay and she and my dad were like "So....?"

But, there are a lot of churches that are really welcoming. Metropolitan Community Church, for example, focuses nearly exclusively on the LGBT community.

kirblar

Oh, no wonder you're donating all the time. It's a habit!

So I went out for a walk today and on the way back this guy passed me a flyer about the Real Communist Party of Moscow [Idaho] doing a radio debate with someone from the Traditional Workers Party. He clarified to me that he was a real Communist and that Trump would be discussed. I'm trying to decide if college communist arguing with an actual Neo Nazi is good entertainment.

HylianTom

Banned

I just had a flashback to a great scene from the "Tales of the City" movie: one of the drag queens was wearing a hollow crucifix necklace - she was sniffing poppers from it, yelling loudly about Jesus..

so what you are saying is you can PREACH, WORK, YAAAAASSSS.

NeoXChaos

daveweigel ‏@daveweigel 3h3 hours ago
Oh yeah this guy’s still here

CmJbezkWgAARXM7.jpg

Foffy

Banned
Hahaha, depends on the church. My church was an Independent, Fundamental, Pre-millennial KJV-1611 only baptist church. Drag queens probably wouldn't have been welcome. I'm pretty sure my parents and I were the only pro-choice, pro-LGBT people in the entire church.

One time our pastor told my mom I was going to grow up to be gay and she and my dad were like "So....?"

But, there are a lot of churches that are really welcoming. Metropolitan Community Church, for example, focuses nearly exclusively on the LGBT community.

Do you happen to live near MCC? If so, you are actually not that far from me. That's about 40 minutes from where I live. I actually didn't know such a place existed around here, but then again, I am staunchly anti-religious, so you could have a world peace church next door to me and I wouldn't even know. :p

We can't go to any drag parties though if you do happen to be in the area though, queen. I'm presently gearing up to leave for a Zen monastery in a few weeks, and all of my wigs are laced for that.

I hope one would get the joke most Zen monastics have shaved heads, hence the wig joke. You better have gotten it before reading this!

andthebeatgoeson

Dude, you could have been a congressmen.

Does he talk to anyone in the Senate? He never eats lunch with anyone, right?

Do you happen to live near MCC? If so, you are actually not that far from me. That's about 40 minutes from where I live. I actually didn't know such a place existed around here, but then again, I am staunchly anti-religious, so you could have a world peace church next door to me and I wouldn't even know. :p

We can't go to any drag parties though if you do happen to be in the area though, queen. I'm presently gearing up to leave for a Zen monastery in a few weeks, and all of my wigs are laced for that.

I hope one would get the joke most Zen monastics have shaved heads, hence the wig joke. You better have gotten it before reading this!

I live about an hour from the nearest Metropolitan Community Church. One of my life goals is to visit a Buddhist monastery for a few weeks. I most closely identify as an amalgamation of things with Buddhism probably central.

Dude, you could have been a congressmen.

I know, right? :p

pigeon

Banned
Wait, I didn't know that Barbara Lee was one of Sanders's platform appointees.

Who didn't like Barbara Lee? I'll fight you.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
That ballotpedia poll for swing states has Hillary crushing the Donald, but when he's replaced with Paul Ryan and John Kasich, Hillary ties and loses respectively. How much do you think this is going to effect the RNC from kicking Trump out of the nomination at the convention?

Foffy

Banned
I live about an hour from the nearest Metropolitan Community Church. One of my life goals is to visit a Buddhist monastery for a few weeks. I most closely identify as an amalgamation of things with Buddhism probably central.

I plan on going to see if this is a vocation I wish to engage with. I originally considered hospice care and nursing was because of my understanding of non-separateness and of being service. The problem of course became obvious; I dealt with pain, not suffering. We suffer more in our minds, so the battle of there is based upon the ego, the conceptualized "I" we think we are but can never actually be us. Our problems almost always stem from this conceptualized image, and I lack both the capability and position to help people sick or dying escape their problems from that arena. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was an MS patient who, even by PA law, I couldn't help with his troubles, so I was unable to help with his pain or his suffering about how his life is.

I kind of went around in a full circle for about three years getting back to this point, as I was looking to be a "practical" worker bee in society, to have this type of understanding as supplemental to whatever I do. That idea can very plainly go fuck itself now, because my interest is also actually the bedrock of reality, and what I seem to genuinely care of. As I write this, I have about 20 tabs of lectures, articles, and data on this kind of arena. This is my twerk.

Sorry for detour the topic away from politics, fam. But at least you know why I harp on free will and a self all of the time. :(

http://wonkette.com/603542/mississippi-rep-real-sorry-he-told-mom-of-sick-kid-to-get-off-her-lazy-taker-ass
Mississippi state Rep. Jeffrey Guice sure didn’t mean to be insensitive to Nicole Nichols when she blasted a letter to all the state’s electeds asking if anyone could help her in navigating Medicaid for her sick daughter. No sirree buddy Jesus, when Nichols wrote to the people who in theory were elected to help the people of Mississippi, and told them that she was unable to find a Medicaid-covered supplier of insulin and medical devices for her daughter’s Type 1 diabetes — which run about $2500 per month — and could any of them maybe help a mama out, Guice is real sorry he replied, “I am sorry for your problem. Have you thought about buying the supplies with money that you earn?”
ImoYSC7.jpg

More republican fuckery at the link

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That ballotpedia poll for swing states has Hillary crushing the Donald, but when he's replaced with Paul Ryan and John Kasich, Hillary ties and loses respectively. How much do you think this is going to effect the RNC from kicking Trump out of the nomination at the convention?

It does not account for the shitstorm that would create.

Paskil

The RNC have proven themselves quite incapable of stumping the Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom