• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol what is this?
latest

A SuperPAC can run ads for anyone, right? I'd love to see a pro-Clinton PAC run pro-Johnson ads in Utah or something. See if you can deny Trump 3-4 points, may be enough to swing it to her or something. I mean, it's kind of a waste of money, but if someone has some berning a hole in their pocket or something.
I believe SuperPAC ads are not allowed to Specifically endorse a candidate. They can attack another candidate all they want but they can't endorse. SuperPAC leaders don't mind though because it's easier to attack your opponent than to put a candidate on a pedestal.

HylianTom

Banned
Run ads featuring the incident during the primary where Trump questions Romney's Mormon faith.

Trumpy said:
"I have many friends that live in Salt Lake, I have a lot of friends," Trump told the audience. "By the way, Mitt Romney is not one of them. Did he choke? Did this guy choke? He's a choke artist, I can't believe. Are you sure he's a Mormon, are we sure?"

They might air only in Utah, but word gets around. Lots of Mormon voters in nearby western states..

pigeon

Banned
The PR bill is pretty anti-labor. It basically is the Detroit plan.

I mean, sure. I feel like this is a show vote since we knew the bill was going to pass, which is pretty much Sanders's whole thing.

On a practical level I am like, I would like a better Puerto Rico situation (really I would have liked them to win their court case and just get state bankruptcy), but passing some kind of bill is still a lot better than just having to sell off all of Puerto Rico's assets to pay their bonds, because they have no access to court-organized bankruptcy otherwise.

Maledict

I don't think Utah would really boost Johnson's votes, he's all about weed and gay marriage and I think that won't present a palatable choice for the Mormons that don't want Trump. Maybe the Consitution candidate lol

Johnson's running at 15% there already, and even Romney said he would be looking at his platform. Ultimately Johnson is a republican, and those voters need some sort of home to go to. Remember they had Jon Huntsman as a hugely popular governor, and he believed in climate change and a rise in the minimum wage, and the DREAM act.

Utah is an extremely red state, but at the same time seems to allow its leaders greater divergence from republican orthodoxy than other areas.

Good lord it must be annoying seeing this guy walk around with his "Presidential" security detail that he has only because he won't give up some pointless campaign.

Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont is back to giving floor speeches deriding the rich and defending those in misery, writing Op-Ed pieces against trade and giving television interviews during which he declines to fully support Hillary Clinton for president. He spent much of Wednesday vigorously denouncing a rescue bill for Puerto Rico that had the support of two-thirds of his fellow senators.

This is as close to shade as the NYT will ever get.

CCS

Banned
Sanders is the type of liberal who I'm reasonably convinced cares more about his own sense of self-righteousness than anything else.

benjipwns

Banned
One and a half party states can broaden the one party and extreme the "half" party.

The New York and California GOP probably run more on socially and culturally conservative issues than many of the deep red state ones do because they're drawn into such safe House/State Legislature districts. The NYGOP has spent years infighting over abortion even though their only significant victories statewide in the last roughly 35 years came from comparatively pro-choice/gay-rights Republicans or a totalitarian running as a Republican to avoid primaries.

They rather infamously tried to get rid of Al D'Amato at least twice, despite his Senate incumbency and thus pork record, because he only had a 96% anti-abortion voting record, the pro-choice lieberal communist atheist bastard.

benjipwns

Banned
The best part is Javits didn't even like anybody in the GOP and vice versa. He could have just swapped over to the Democrats and probably stayed in his seat until his death and then left it to the Democrats in 1986. But instead he had to split the center-left vote and give up his seat to a conservative who basically held it on the back of incumbency until the state had shifted too much.

Good chunks of Republicans didn't even vote for Javits in his prior two elections, ~15% of the vote going to the Conservative Party, what did he think was going to happen in a Reaganite dominated primary and then a general where he was a third party candidate lol

Old Senators are such dicks. Except Carl Levin.

Drakeon

Oh great. Now the news media is going to be citing this poll all day to keep the "horse race" narrative going.

A Horse Race narrative can be beneficial, at the very least it'll keep people motivated to vote. Keep in mind we have yet to see a poll with Trump leading in FL, and if he loses there he's basically already done. If he wins a national poll or two, it's not particularly relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom