• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoXChaos

Gulp

Maggie Haberman ‏@maggieNYT 30m30 minutes ago
Clinton was at FBI hq for 3.5 hours, per side

Maggie Haberman ‏@maggieNYT 31m31 minutes ago
Clinton spox Merrill: "Secretary Clinton gave a voluntary interview this morning about her email arrangements while she was Secretary."

Effect

Please let this thing be over in a positive result for Hillary. I can't stand anything hanging over head that would someone how give Trump a realistic possibility at winning.

Holmes

Trump wants to announce his VP pick next week, and Christie is on vacation in Italy next week. I think it will be Gingrich.

johnsmith

remember me
You guys r annyng
HhlnB0L.gif

Paskil

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS incoming indictment. They obviously didn't arrest her today because they want to arrest her on Monday to help America heal from the relentless tyranny of the Clinton family and their "foundation." It will be the best 4th of July since the original. My sources already tell me that Bernie has tapped HA Goodman to introduce him as the nominee at the convention.

Emarv

I was daydreaming today about the dark alternate timeline where Clinton is indicted. If that happened, I think the DNC convention battle between Bernie and Biden would be legendary. The establishment would push so hard for Biden and it'd be so fun to watch. That's my Hillary indictment fanfic.

I was daydreaming today about the dark alternate timeline where Clinton is indicted. If that happened, I think the DNC convention battle between Bernie and Biden would be legendary. The establishment would push so hard for Biden and it'd be so fun to watch. That's my Hillary indictment fanfic.

I wonder if Warren would be willing to throw her hat in. She could probably draw from both wings

Wtf is wrong with those Hillary supporters from 2008? Why did a whopping 16% or whatever vote for McCain? Unbelievable!

Well to be honest there was a lot of racial tension in that 08 primary and a decent number of Clinton voters were anti-Obama voters. I mean it was some of her crazy fans that flamed on the birthed nonsense.

itschris

Politico Magazine: The Trump Show

Who’s looking forward to the Republican National Convention in Cleveland—besides presumptive nominee Donald J. Trump, that is?

Damn few top Republicans, according to a report this week in POLITICO by Alex Isenstadt. Senators, governors and leading members of the House of Representatives are sending their regrets by the dozens to the July 18-21 affair. If they’re attending, many are telegraphing their intent to avoid speaking from the podium on behalf Trump. Corporations like Wells Fargo, UPS, Ford and others who usually sponsor the event are bailing, too, threatening to turn the Cleveland confab into a Potemkin Village of a convention, if not a ghost town.

A political version of a beauty pageant appears to be in the offing—which is logical given the fact that Trump owned and operated the Miss Universe franchise for two decades. But who will play the beauties? Variety reports the low likelihood that any top stars will appear at the arena on Trump’s behalf, which means a record number of B-list celebrities, politicians and reality TV stars may be conscripted.

Even when a candidate enters the nominating convention as the presumptive winner, the party’s culture may still be tainted by the residue of the primary battles. The losers are allowed to bring their grievances to the convention to make a final expression of them before burying them before uniting with the victor in combat against the opposing party. Symbolic unity can be achieved by giving the losers podium time in a desirable TV slot, or a plank in the platform that nobody reads anyway, or some other gesture, or promises of presidential appointments should the nominee win the election. (Loser Bernie Sanders is doing this—a lot of this—inside the Democratic Party.) And so the wheel turns.

But the wheel can’t turn if the major losers refuse to participate in the healing ceremony, which is how the 2016 Republican convention is shaping up. Something like this happened in 1964, when Barry Goldwater won the Republican nomination. The non-Goldwaterites didn’t boycott the convention as the non-Trump forces are this year, but they did resist making peace with Goldwater, refusing to participate in the sociodrama of the 1964 presidential election. Disaster followed for the party.

As the 15,000-strong news media army rolls into Cleveland, several ready-made stories will be there for the journalists to tell, none of them to Trump’s liking. Denied the traditional story about a splintered party “coming together,” reporters will zero in on Trump’s imperial style, and frame him as a modern-day Caligula who has attempted to stamp out all opposition, continuing many of the themes already present in news stories about him. For Republicans who have the stomach to attend, the convention will give them the loudest possible megaphone to express their distaste for Trump. And finally, the relative news void created by Trump will free reporters to give blanket coverage to the inevitable street protests against him.

Trump’s convention will contain so much of his winning that, as he promised in September, you’ll soon be bored by it.

Iolo

I'm going to NY and returning on the 18th, just in time for the RNC razzle-dazzle. This will be an incredible month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom