• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides getting some neoconservatives and some god fearing people, I don't what else he can bring, but I don't know much about him besides that I don't think military folks are good when it comes to politics. I reckon that Flynn would be a very divisive character, and say as much crazy shit like Trump. The appeal of looking bipartisan and getting an outsider would be short lived. The only long term advantage is foreign policy which while important in this election is pretty limited, but it might blend into social issues which can make things worse.

Wilsongt

*gigglesnort*

H. A. Goodman ‏@HAGOODMANAUTHOR 1h1 hour ago

If Democrats eventually choose Dear Leader Clinton, after the FBI said HRC had TOP SECRET intell on her server, BERNIE SANDERS MUST GO GREEN

If people just want to hand the election over to Trump by splitting the vote between the Green Party and Hillary, then go right ahead. Run 3rd party, Bernie. You're defeating your entire purpose of running by handing the election to the GOP on a silver platter.

H. A. Goodman ‏@HAGOODMANAUTHOR 11h11 hours ago

#BernieSanders https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2I8OzUUJOg … Hillary Clinton Is Partly To Blame For the Death of Philando Castile and Dallas Officer Shootings

What a fucking douchebag.

itschris

Don't all of these have to go through a floor vote?

I'm not sure. I know they vote to adopt the platform at the convention, but do they go section by section, or just approve the whole thing in one vote?

I do know that there's a procedure to put forward amendments that didn't pass in earlier stages at the convention:

Twenty-five percent of voters could sign a minority report that would allow for an amendment to come up again at the national convention in Philadelphia.

EDIT:

daveweigel
‏@daveweigel

Dems unanimously pass tough, Sanders-backed police reform language:

apxjpn7.jpg

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/751894263840010240

ampere

daveweigel
‏@daveweigel

By 81-80 — closest vote of the day — Dems endorse removing marijuana from schedule 1 of Controlled Substances Act. Huge cheers.

Surprised it was that close... I think we're still a ways away from getting meaningful federal legislation changes on marijuana, but I would love to be surprised. It would help with criminal justice reform if we just straight decriminalized or legalized it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
daveweigel
‏@daveweigel

By 81-80 — closest vote of the day — Dems endorse removing marijuana from schedule 1 of Controlled Substances Act. Huge cheers.

That's the bare minimum that should be done, it's very difficult to research and show any benefits or bad things about it if you can't research it. That would greatly reduce barriers to research.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Going say that some people a few years from now will give credit to Sanders instead of Hillary when certain very liberal things based despite Hillary always supporting it.

I've seen people outright saying that Comey decided not to indict because he wanted to protect his family from retaliation by the Clintons.

It's insane out there. I am caught off guard by just how many people on my Facebook feed were caught up in the Bernie-mania, "Clinton is corrupt" frenzy

ampere

I've seen people outright saying that Comey decided not to indict because he wanted to protect his family from retaliation by the Clintons.

It's insane out there. I am caught off guard by just how many people on my Facebook feed were caught up in the Bernie-mania, "Clinton is corrupt" frenzy

There's largely a lack of understanding in what the potential criminal charges were. I don't think people realize it was a "was she a spy or traitor?" or "was she so ignorant she was handing out classified data to anyone"

Most people seem to think "private email server = crime = jail" and that's where their thinking stops

Going say that some people a few years from now will give credit to Sanders instead of Hillary when certain very liberal things based despite Hillary always supporting it.
Nah, I doubt people will really remember Bernie that long from now. No one was crediting Howard Dean for Obama, y'know.

Eh, I think that's giving Bernie too much credit. It's 25 years of right wing bull shit moreso than the junior Senator from Vermont.

Nah, I doubt people will really remember Bernie that long from now. No one was crediting Howard Dean for Obama, y'know.

Howard Dean was embarrassed though and he did became the DNC chairman, I don't know he had the rabid support that Bernie does once he become the chairman. Plus, social media.

Gotchaye

Speaking of Trumpy's VP selection..

This week is going to be so gooooood!

This is just dumb. It's incredibly annoying for Trump while not actually getting NeverTrumpers anything that they want. I mean, suppose they send out Mitt Romney as Trump's VP. Then he's either on-message, in which case what's the point, or he's off doing his own thing, which means nobody's going to mistakenly think that he's representing what Trump would do as president. If he does anything that sounds like a promise that a Trump presidency will not do something that Trump has said he'll do, Trump denounces him.

Nobody gains here. I don't really see who thinks this is a good idea who doesn't also think it's a good idea to steal the nomination from Trump entirely, and I bet that even most of the people who want to steal the nomination from Trump think that this is silly.

Holmes

What are the potential options for the proposed "Further Hillary/Bernie collaborations"?
Not sure, but "collaborations" was in plural when Sanders talked about it after the tuition proposal, so there should be more than just health care coming. Maybe Wall Street or (non-fracking) environmental policies.

I'm still not sure why anyone gives more than zero fucks about the platform.

Congress isn't going to refer to it when they vote.

President Clinton isn't going to use it to decide what she signs.

Judges sure as fuck aren't going to consult it for their rulings.

Kusagari

The fact the marijuana vote was that close shows we're nowhere near congress making a move on it. The public will have to keep pushing the issue forward via referendum

It's aspirational. It encodes a set of uniform values to which potential candidates must be compared, thus serving as a way of pushing the Democratic Party in this or that direction depending on what changes are made. It won't effect what anybody does, per se, but it might affect who actually gets to the annals of government and what kinds of expectation their constituents may have of them, especially if these principles stay in the platform for several election cycles in a row and become the standard.

Suikoguy

Scalia had his own platform, lol.
Republicans followed that one.

itschris

It's aspirational. It encodes a set of uniform values to which potential candidates must be compared, thus serving as a way of pushing the Democratic Party in this or that direction depending on what changes are made. It won't effect what anybody does, per se, but it might affect who actually gets to the annals of government and what kinds of expectation their constituents may have of them, especially if these principles stay in the platform for several election cycles in a row and become the standard.

Yeah. I also care more than I would otherwise because Sanders and his supporters care about it, and I want to see what their reactions are. It might not be necessary to have Sanders on board for the general election, but a solid endorsement would be helpful.

So far Sanders has been focusing on the successful compromises they've reached with the Clinton campaign, and not so much on the failures.

EDIT: As if Sanders focusing on the successes wasn't evidence enough, a local ABC affiliate has confirmation that he will be in Portsmouth, NH with Hillary on Tuesday:

Bernie Sanders plans to appear with Hillary Clinton on Tuesday at Portsmouth High School, WMUR.com has confirmed from two sources with direct knowledge of the plan.

An endorsement of Clinton by Sanders is expected at the event, ending a long, intense and at times bitter battle for the Democratic presidential nomination.

http://www.wmur.com/politics/clinton-to-campaign-at-portsmouth-high-school-on-tuesday/40434128

Nina Turner is just the worst. She's won one election, in which she ran unopposed, in a safe D Ohio Senate district. She had ONE day of importance when she came up with the men's healthcare bill. She's savvy enough to know she'd have been only one voice had she maintained ties to Hillary, so she went to Bernie so she'd have some relevance. I'll give her that.

Whatever. We'll never have to hear about her again in a few weeks. Thank goodness.

Yeah. I also care more than I would otherwise because Sanders and his supporters care about it, and I want to see what their reactions are. It might not be necessary to have Sanders on board for the general election, but a solid endorsement would be helpful.

So far Sanders has been focusing on the successful compromises they've reached with the Clinton campaign, and not so much on the failures.

EDIT: As if Sanders focusing on the successes wasn't evidence enough, a local ABC affiliate has confirmation:

http://www.wmur.com/politics/clinton-to-campaign-at-portsmouth-high-school-on-tuesday/40434128

01501fb917a7ff441f617fe27684251c.jpeg

EDIT: As if Sanders focusing on the successes wasn't evidence enough, a local ABC affiliate has confirmation that he will be in Portsmouth, NH with Hillary on Tuesday:

I hope Hillary's campaign is picking the people that are going to be there. The optics of a Bernie crowd giving her shit would be annoying as fuck. Also, his speech better be vetted to hell and back.

No one's going to even read this now. If they do they're not going to remember in a week. Let alone come November. No one's going to care come inauguration day. And no one's going to be bring this up against an incumbent President Clinton in four years at the next convention.

It's not a codified unchanging set of values. It may as well be scrap paper in a week. Hopefully they print single-sided.

Iolo

John DiStaso ‏@jdistaso 1h1 hour ago
.@WMUR9_Politics confirms @BernieSanders plans to appear w/ @HillaryClinton at Portsmouth HS 7/12; endorsement expected #nhpolitics #WMUR

is it happening

^ beaten anyway.

No one's going to even read this now. If they do they're not going to remember in a week. Let alone come November. No one's going to care come inauguration day. And no one's going to be bring this up against an incumbent President Clinton in four years at the next convention.

It's not a codified unchanging set of values. It may as well be scrap paper in a week. Hopefully they print single-sided.

IF she doesn't follow every little detail in the platform, then /s4p is going to primary her in 2020. : wags finger : I read it online. It has to be true.

I think it'd be fun if they printed it in Comic Sans.

The race 99% ended on April 26th, 100% ended on June 14th and Bernie still didn't endorse until July 12th.

But there's still four months to the election so it doesn't matter.

It's not going to affect Clinton, but it might affect congresspeople, local politicians, etc.

And if it doesn't, who gives a shit? These people got their clock cleaned on the real fight, so they're striving for a symbolic victory. Humans are fucking silly, and they do silly things. It's not really a big deal.

rz5nGg6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom