• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

CnQvm4oVYAAsT2m.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I think people need to understand that our country is so polarized now that our presidential election polling is going to look like this no matter what happens.

Counting on a "Trump gaffe" to damage the Republican candidate's poll numbers is almost ridiculous at this point.

U.S. killed Umar Khalifa, yesssssssss.

BREAKING: Donald Trump seeks $10 million from former campaign aide, alleges breach of confidentiality agreement.

Important to do this during a presidential campaign.

Why haven't there been any polls of Jewish voters about Trump's Nazi images?

AP Politics @AP_Politics
BREAKING: Donald Trump seeks $10 million from former campaign aide, alleges breach of confidentiality agreement.

I can't wait for when he gets obliterated in November and goes scorched-earth suing everyone on the planet.

READ THIS IF YOU'RE THINKING BERNIE IS FINISHED!!!!

FAQ time:

Q. WHY DID BERNIE ENDORSE HILLARY NOW?

A. They threatened to completey shut him out of the convention if he didn't.

Q. COULDN'T HE HAVE SAID SCREW THEM AND GO FIGHT AT THE CONVENTION ANYWAY?

A. No. Hillary has more delegates, Superdelegates, and supporters on the DNC rules committee. They would have voted down every one of our platforms, denied Bernie the opportunity to speak, and basically shut him out of the entire process. All the leverage he has gained up to this point would be gone.

Q. SO WAIT, BERNIE DIDN'T QUIT TODAY?

A. No. He had to say she won the primary, he endorses her and will help the party defeat Trump, yadda yadda but he DID NOT concede. There is a very big and important difference. Had he conceded, all of his delegates would go to Hillary and he would no longer be an option for nominee.

Q. SO BERNIE CAN ACTUALLY STILL WIN?

A. YES. And if he wasn't still TRYING to win, he would have conceded. The ONLY option he had to get to the convention with his delegates behind him and have a chance to still win was to do what he did today. He is not a traitor. He didn't sell us out. He did the only possible thing he could have done to keep fighting for the nomination.

Q. SO HOW CAN BERNIE STILL WIN IF HE’S LOSING THE DELEGATE COUNT AND HE JUST SAID HE WILL HELP HILLARY WIN THE ELECTION?

A. By far the most important thing to the DNC, even more important than making sure Hillary beats Bernie, is making sure the Democratic nominee beats the Republicans in November. They scrutinize every poll, every opinion of the public, every event to judge whether a candidate is strong enough to win in November. There are A LOT of things going on right now that show how weak of a general election candidate Hillary Clinton is:

- 66% of the country sees her as untrustworthy

- 60% thinks she should have been indicted for the email scandal

- A lot of Bernie supporters won't vote for her

- Congress has requested the Department of Justice investigate her for lying under oath about the email scandal

- There's a possibility more emails will be leaked by wikileaks or hackers further proving her guilt

- Many believe the FBI is secretly investigating the Clinton Foundation

- Her "wins" during the primary have been tainted with accusations of fraud, suppression, lawsuits, and investigations

And then there's Bernie. An honest candidate people trust and whose approval rating and trustworthy rating crushes Clinton's. This is the argument Bernie will make at the convention. With all his 1,900 delegates inside arguing this case and 100,000 supporters outside arguing this case, we hope the DNC realizes he's the only choice. He CAN win the convention, but he has to get there first. That's why he endorsed her today.

Q. SO IT’S STILL IMPORTANT THAT ALL OF HIS DELEGATES GO TO THE CONVENTION AND WE ALL STILL MARCH LIKE WE PLANNED TO DO?

A. Yes! It's more important now than it ever was before.

Q. WHAT IF THE DNC STILL REFUSES TO NOMINATE HIM AT THE CONVENTION? CAN HE STILL RUN THIRD PARTY NOW THAT HE ENDORSED HER?

A. Yes. In fact, running third party has never been an option until AFTER the convention. We need to stick with Bernie and see this through to the convention. He's led us this far. Do NOT abandon him now.

Q. WHAT IF HE LOSES AT THE CONVENTION AND DOESN’T RUN THIRD PARTY, BUT INSTEAD ENDORSES HILLARY 100% AND ASKS US TO VOTE FOR HER?

A. Then our revolution continues without him and we continue to fight against Hillary Clinton and the DNC all the way up to November and beyond by voting for someone like Jill Stein or writing Bernie in. But the time for that is NOT here yet.

Q. SO WHAT DID BERNIE ACCOMPLISH WITH THIS MOVE?

A. Backed into a corner, facing the entire political pressure of the Democratic Party and the DNC, robbed of a right to claim he should be winning if not for a rigged process, and faced with the threat of being shut out of the convention completely Bernie:

1. Managed to stay in the race and secure a prime speaking slot at a contested convention which he can turn into a floor fight

2. Kept all of his delegates to use as leverage in that floor fight

3. Got tens of thousands of people to "Like" and "follow" Green Party candidate Jill Stein on social media

4. Amplified the ‪#‎NeverHilliary‬ screams of his supporters for all the media and Superdelegates to see 12 days before the convention.

Anyone trashing Bernie today needs to wake up and respect the masterful chess move he just made!!!

AT LEAST GIVE THE MAN YOUR SUPPORT UNTIL THE CONVENTION, HE HAS EARNED THAT MUCH AND HASN’T CONCEDED YET!!!

itschris

Washington Post: Sanders, Warren, Michelle Obama likely to speak on Democratic convention’s opening night

The Democratic National Convention is likely to open with a showcase of some of the party's biggest stars, including Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont, and first lady Michelle Obama, according to a source with knowledge of the convention planning.

Although the speaking schedule isn't yet set in stone, the jam-packed Monday night is also expected to include Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), and Rep. Joe Kennedy (D-Mass.) will introduce Warren in Philadelphia.

Sanders's name will be entered into the nomination, prompting a roll call vote of delegates for both candidates.

According to another source familiar with the convention planning, the night's theme will be an economic agenda focused on families. The list of speakers is intended to highlight the unity of the Democratic Party in contrast to the Republican convention that will have come the week before.

A major factor that could scramble speaking plans is Clinton's vice-presidential pick. That person is likely to speak later in the week on a big night focused on introducing them to the party and to the country. Warren is being vetted as a potential running mate.

It is not unprecedented for speakers to be announced and then -- as was the case for former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards in 2004 -- one of them is selected as the vice-presidential pick.

We're getting a clearer picture of the Democratic convention before the Republican one, even though they go first!

kirblar

basically: any polls that support your candidate are awesome, any that support the other guy are undersampling or clearly biased.
Not the case. There are polling outlets dedicated to providing feel-good info to Rs and Ds.

The R ones have been easier to figure out over the last few cycles because they've been losing.
Is it true that Warren speaking on the opening night is likely an indication she isn't getting picked?
Yes.

Her recent comments on Google et al were a reminder of "oh yeah this is the issue."

gcubed

1) I have seen 2 pro-toomey ad's and one negative mcginty ad, and thats it. Nothing else.

2) McGinty is terrible, and if she is winning, that says a lot about how PA is going to go. McGinty isn't going to win and Clinton lose. Thats insanity. The other way could definitely happen, but McGinty isn't winning without Hillary winning

Special election in my area for state senate

Quinn of Middletown was the unofficial winner of Tuesday’s special election with numbers from the Delaware County Election Bureau reporting approximately 5,300 votes against Cornman-Levy’s 3,800 with all machines reporting.

9100 votes with 30,000 registered. JFC people

This Admiral looks like a pretty nice oddball pick. Unexpected, but he seems alright to me.

I can imagine some far left people getting nervous having a military guy as VP, but they're stupid as any casual reading of his history shows he isn't exactly a man who wants to jump into war, and is quite the opposite.

Slayven

I ain't even gonna worry about polls until August. Emails, VP, conventions, etc. Not gonna freak out over the fluctuations that are definitely gonna happen for a while. Shit's gonna be unstable until after all of this is in the rearview.

What if Christie is announced as VP?

User1608

Banned
This Admiral looks like a pretty nice oddball pick. Unexpected, but he seems alright to me.

I can imagine some far left people getting nervous having a military guy as VP, but they're stupid as any casual reading of his history shows he isn't exactly a man who wants to jump into war, and is quite the opposite.
yeah, he seems great to me.

Clinton isn't picking her VP till Trump does

it's still an open game

I hope so.

I really think she needs her. Like really. Kaine is a safe pick, but I think if anything is a lesson this cycle staying safe is the most dangerous option.

Almost no matter who is voting people are saying they want a break from a status quo.

The new Dem platform is exciting. We need someone who is completely, enthusiastically behind every aspect of it, and the economic populism behind it.

I don't see anyone else who can do it other than Warren. I get why picking Kaine is better for if she actually wins,but these new polls are making me worried. None of the inconveniences Warren's pick will bring mean anything if she doesn't win.

We desperately need Warren's economic populism and the credibility she brings in that department this cycle.

Adding her on the ticket is as much as Hillary can really do to prove that she is serious about this these issues.

The more I think about it, the more having the former Supreme Allied Commander of NATO being your VP would be such a snag, especially with the "TERRORISM IS GOING TO KILL EVERYONE" group of people.

I think he could really help with scared white people going to Trump because he says strong words.

The more I think about it, the more having the former Supreme Allied Commander of NATO being your VP would be such a snag, especially with the "TERRORISM IS GOING TO KILL EVERYONE" group of people.

I think he could really help with scared white people going to Trump because he says strong words.

Those people aren't voting for Clinton anyway. They are already convinced she personally killed troops in Benghazi.

Also, too much of the democratic base sees Hillary as being too hawkish. Picking a guy whose position was Supreme Allied Commander, is literally the worst thing she could do to help with that image.

She would already be President right now had she not voted for the Iraq war. And she still has that vote hanging over her head even if it didn't take her down this time. An attempt at pandering to a base that already isn't going to vote for her that will backfire imo

People aren't as scared of terrorism as they are scared about their immediate economic future. Domestic issues are where we need to focus. We aren't going to beat the GOP in terrorism fear mongering to get votes

Those people aren't voting for Clinton anyway. They are already convinced she personally killed troops in Benghazi.

Maybe if you live in a world where everyone is either a Breitbart reader or is not. But there are people like the Jennifer Rubin's of the world who cannot support Trump and can be swayed by a ticket that highlights stability/experience.

You know what kills me? All of you dweebs were so incredulous and beyond yourselves last week when a few polls came out that said the margin was tightening and absolutely could not believe it. It was so funny to everyone and many laughs were had.

And now this week Diablos is shrieking!

Let's get some Dr. Jill Stein numbers, since she is the most powerful woman in America right now.

There are going to be quite a lot of pretty disappointed people who enter the ballot and find out she isn't on it. Since there's a 1/3 chance the state won't have her on the ballot (iirc, she's only on 30 of the ballots this year)

Maybe if you live in a world where everyone is either a Breitbart reader or is not. But there are people like the Jennifer Rubin's of the world who cannot support Trump and can be swayed by a ticket that highlights stability/experience.

Hillary herself already brings about as much stability and experience as you can ask for. To the point where it is actually seen as a negative.

Hillary herself already brings about as much stability and experience as you can ask for. To the point where it is actually seen as a negative.

but she's a democrat

having someone who is extremely respected and who was the command of NATO (the thing Trump wants to get rid of), could be and I think would be a huge opportunity to get the vote of people who view the military as being an important thing to think about when voting.

but she's a democrat

having someone who is extremely respected and who was the command of NATO (the thing Trump wants to get rid of), could be and I think would be a huge opportunity to get the vote of people who view the military as being an important thing to think about when voting.

Good call. We should get a respected veteran like John Kerry.

Question, how off was the 2012 aggregate from the final result?
Popular vote underestimated Obama by 3 points.

Mainly because every pollster made the absolutely ludicrous assumption that black turnout was going to crater to historic lows.

My favorite was Suffolk announcing they would stop polling Virginia and Florida because Romney had them locked down. Yeah, how did that one work out, dipshits.

State polls:

AZ - Aggregate had Romney up 7.5, Romney won by 9.1 (+1.6 D bias)
CO - Aggregate had Obama up by 1.5, Obama won by 5.4 (+3.9 R bias)
FL - Aggregate had Romney up by 1.5, Obama won by .9 (+2.4 R bias)
IA - Aggregate had Obama up by 2.4, Obama won by 5.8 (+3.4 R bias)
MI - Aggregate had Obama up by 4, Obama won by 9.5 (+5.5 R bias)
MN - Aggregate had Obama up by 5.2, Obama won by 7.7 (+2.5 R bias)
MO - Aggregate had Romney up by 10.2, Romney won by 9.4 (+.8 R bias)
NH - Aggregate had Obama up by 2, Obama own by 5.6 (+3.6 R bias)
NC - Aggregate had Romney up by 3, Romney won by 2 (+1.0 R bias)
NV - Aggregate had Obama up by 2.8, Obama won by 6.7 (+3.9 R bias)
OH - Aggregate had Obama up by 2.9, Obama won by 3 (+.1 R bias)
OR - Aggregate had Obama up by 6, Obama won by 12 (+6.0 R bias)
PA - Aggregate had Obama up by 3.8, Obama won by 5.4 (+1.6 R bias)
VA - Aggregate had Obama up by .3, Obama won by 3.9 (+3.6 R bias)
WI - Aggregate had Obama up by 4.2, Obama won by 6.9 (+2.7 R bias)

So basically pollsters were pretty much on the mark in Ohio and blew it everywhere else.

I hope so.

I really think she needs her. Like really. Kaine is a safe pick, but I think if anything is a lesson this cycle staying safe is the most dangerous option.

Almost no matter who is voting people are saying they want a break from a status quo.

The new Dem platform is exciting. We need someone who is completely, enthusiastically behind every aspect of it, and the economic populism behind it.

I don't see anyone else who can do it other than Warren. I get why picking Kaine is better for if she actually wins,but these new polls are making me worried. None of the inconveniences Warren's pick will bring mean anything if she doesn't win.

We desperately need Warren's economic populism and the credibility she brings in that department this cycle.

Adding her on the ticket is as much as Hillary can really do to prove that she is serious about this these issues.

While I think you are overstating the degree to which Clinton "needs" Warren, I do agree that Warren would be more helpful even than people realize. I think the prospect of defining ourselves as the party of competent women and defining the GOP as the party of old, irrational white backlash has the potential to pay huge dividends down the road. Women are the majority EVERYWHERE. The politics are somewhat like a less consequential but broader version of the Civil Rights Act. The GOP could potentially respond by digging themselves into a disastrous rut that's very hard to get out of, once begun. If they want a smaller piece of the pie, and to alienate the bigger, growing piece, by all means let them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
but she's a democrat

Honestly the more I read about this guy the more I think I like him. He's for the Iran deal, for opening up Cuba, is more about smart power than hard or soft, and generally seems to be a guy more concerned with peace than war--he's certainly gotten enough awards saying as much. There's a TED talk he did that I'll listen to when I get home, but just off some google searches I feel like if there was ever a safe option for VP he's it.

Not that he's going to be the pick mind you. It just seems like they're trolling Trump. "Oh, oh you want to pick a general? Well then we'll pick the Supreme Allied Commander NATO Europe. So fuck you and your sissy general."

pretty unfortunate how negative the Admiral seems to be towards the Iran deal.

??? He's got an OPed from last year defending it. Did something change?

While I think you are overstating the degree to which Clinton "needs" Warren, I do agree that Warren would be more helpful even than people realize. I think the prospect of defining ourselves as the party of competent women and defining the GOP as the party of old, irrational white backlash has the potential to pay huge dividends down the road. Women are the majority EVERYWHERE. The politics are somewhat like a less consequential but broader version of the Civil Rights Act. The GOP could potentially respond by digging themselves into a disastrous rut that's very hard to get out of, once begun. If they want a smaller piece of the pie, and to alienate the bigger, growing piece, by all means let them.

I do agree with this. This could be the moment when the gender gap is solidified. At the same time, I can understand her campaign's hesitance to pick a woman for VP. Still a lot of misogyny in this country they need to navigate and they may not want to make it harder than they have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom