• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trouble

Banned
This is not meant to be tasteless but could the death of that MP in Britain motivate the Stay vote?

I don't remember who said it, but I was listening to BBC5 the other day* and a guy said 'most people in Britain want to leave, most will vote to stay'. I feel like there is a lot of truth there. Fundamentally Leave is motivated by emotion while Remain is motivated by logic. This might bring to light that letting emotion drive your actions can have devastating effect.

*Euro Truck Simulator2/American Truck Simulator plus BBC radio streaming is my jam. (Even better in now in VR!)

pigeon

Banned
rupaul-side-eye.gif

I mean, Obama made almost the exact same claim. If anything, his was more dramatic.

It's fine, this speech is fine, everything is fine, whatever.

So, his strategy is basically not to concede that he lost. (Because Bernie cannot lose or fail. All hail Berdie). Pretend that Hillary didn't win (Because he's never once congratulated for for being the nominee OR for being the first woman to lead a major political party's ticket). He'll stay in until the convention, get a few token bones on the platform committee, and then act like the great savior of liberalism.

Random thoughts:

He never congratulated Hillary on winning.
Never acknowledged it was historic. (And his candidacy was historic too, so he could have said something about both of them.)
Never admitted that it was over.
Keeps clinging to all of us being establishment.
And never once said he would help Hillary win, only that he'd help defeat Trump.
You know what fucking killed me? Calling on a new generation to run for office. ...as if the Democrats currently trying to run for office in those contested seats are not good enough. It wasn't "go out and vote for the dems who are working hard", it was "go out and run for office! uncle Bernie did it!"

Did anyone really expect any of that?

I don't ever expect him to admit that he lost, but I thought that he could have congratulated Hillary on being the nominee, ya. Or even "I congratulate Sec Clinton on her historical candidacy." That would have been sufficient for me. I set the bar that low that that would have made me happy.

You know what fucking killed me? Calling on a new generation to run for office. ...as if the Democrats currently trying to run for office in those contested seats are not good enough. It wasn't "go out and vote for the dems who are working hard", it was "go out and run for office! uncle Bernie did it!"

I don't mind him calling for new people to run. It's a sentiment I agree with. But, he didn't have to do it at the expense of the current crop of candidates and the current Democratic party.

I mean, Obama made almost the exact same claim. If anything, his was more dramatic.

Because, you know, Obama actually won? And it was actually historic? He will be an also ran in the history books. That's not a knock against him. His "revolution" wasn't anything anyone will remember in a decade, for better or worse.

Subtle

I think there's a lot of denial on both sides. As a Hillary voter, I can accept that Bernie's base of supporters is larger and more diverse than all of you like to think. Not substantial enough to affect the election, and I'm positive the majority of his supporters will fall in line, but I don't believe that their anger and feeling of disfranchisement will go away any time soon. I think that feeling crosses racial boundaries and the longer it goes ignored, the more time it will be allowed to fester. I don't think it's in the best interests of the DNC to completely shut out Bernie and co like a lot of you seem to want.

It was boring. He's boring. He's been boring for months. The things he says are boring. Like, I wish we could stop talking about Boring Bernie. But we can't because he won't accept the L and go away. And my supply of patience for his boring lingering is exhausted. He's the guy at the party that's over who just won't leave. I don't even care if he endorses or concedes or campaigns for her or whatever. He just needs to disappear back to whothefuckcares, Vermont. So that I don't need to see him in the news ever again saying the exact same boring things.

Let's talk about how dumb Britons are now instead.

I'll give him a -tiny- bit of credit for actually encouraging his supporters to stick with politics. The concern being of course that 99% of his donor base is going to disappear for 20 years and return as racially resentful Republicans, as is the norm with ever swath of young voters that a candidate easily nabs every open election. Obama was the exception to the rule in that he actually won that campaign, and despite this there was a lot of "buyer's remorse" by 2010.

But at least gives Democrats a shout-out, yeah. There are plenty of entirely qualified persons already running for office that could use support. He makes it sound as though we need to start fresh from nothing, which is complete bullshit.
There will be plenty of time for that next week, I'm sure.

Trump wants to invite Kim Jong Un to the United States if he's President.

Also, did you all hear that the medical examiner in Orange county kept the body of the shooter separate from the bodies of the victims? Rachel reported it.

Subtle

It was boring. He's boring. He's been boring for months. The things he says are boring. Like, I wish we could stop talking about Boring Bernie. But we can't because he won't accept the L and go away. And my supply of patience for his boring lingering is exhausted. He's the guy at the party that's over who just won't leave. I don't even care if he endorses or concedes or campaigns for her or whatever. He just needs to disappear back to whothefuckcares, Vermont. So that I don't need to see him in the news ever again saying the exact same boring things.

Disregarding how he's voicing the opinion of a pretty substantial voting bloc seems dangerous to me. Isn't that how Trump was able to rise to power?

Diablos

He cares more about himself than defeating Donald Trump. This is absurd. I don't know if I can finish this. He basically spent nearly 30 minutes saying nothing.

I'm also amazed by how much he doesn't give a fuck about Hillary. He can't even congratulate her.

Really worried about his end game for when he doesn't get his way 100% of the time at the convention.

He doesn't care about the Democratic Party. I'm telling you, he's really tempted to tell them to shove it at the convention and run an independent campaign. Why else would he still take donations??

pigeon

Banned
Disregarding how he's voicing the opinion of a pretty substantial voting bloc seems dangerous to me. Isn't that how Trump was able to rise to power?

Not really. Trump's victory is best understood as the complete failure of the GOP establishment to coalesce behind a candidate and propel them to victory.

All the way through the primary, "not Trump" was a majority of the vote. In a bunch of states it was like 70%. But "not Trump" is not a candidate, and the GOP wasn't able to force out any of the candidates before it was too late to stop Trump from winning.

Basically, in a year where a party coalition is collapsing, pretty much anybody can get nominated. And this year pretty much anybody did. cf. George McGovern.

To return to Bernie, I mean, if most of Bernie's voters return to Clinton, as I expect them to do, then he isn't voicing their opinion any better than Clinton is. So they're already represented. Remember, most Bernie supporters are regular Democratic voters.

Subtle

Not really. Trump's victory is best understood as the complete failure of the GOP establishment to coalesce behind a candidate and propel them to victory.

All the way through the primary, "not Trump" was a majority of the vote. In a bunch of states it was like 70%. But "not Trump" is not a candidate, and the GOP wasn't able to force out any of the candidates before it was too late to stop Trump from winning.

Basically, in a year where a party coalition is collapsing, pretty much anybody can get nominated. And this year pretty much anybody did. cf. George McGovern.

To return to Bernie, I mean, if most of Bernie's voters return to Clinton, as I expect them to do, then he isn't voicing their opinion any better than Clinton is. So they're already represented. Remember, most Bernie supporters are regular Democratic voters.

I meant that as in Trump used the anger of the white working class to propel him to victory. So I guess the lesson here is that if the DNC is not incompetent, they can ignore certain vocal groups if they don't have voting power? Especially since they vote more based on symbolic representation and not policy they actually agree with?

Again, though, his side lost fairly substantially. Giving hem everything they want so they'll be happy isn't reality or the way politics works. Hillary gets to set the agenda because, you know, she won. And, like it or not, we live in a binary politically reality. His supporters can have Hillary or they can have Trump. Those are the two realistic choices. Hillary is already 99% in agreement with Bernie on most issues. Giving the platform to the loser is a slap in the face to the millions of more Hillary voters who want her platform and not his.

Also, some of the things Bernie is calling for is nothing but sour grapes. He wants DWS gone because she hurt his fee-fees. Same with Barnie Frank. He's managed to convince some of his supporters they want this because reasons. That's the kind of stuff that should be immediately off the table. Negotiation isn't for petty bullshit like that.

ampere

Right. Sandersforpres people and Bernieorbust people are not regular Democratic voters. They are probably Ron Paul voters (ayyy lmao Retro wassup) and didn't vote for Obama anyway.

I really wish we had data on that, supporting Bernie vs Hillary and who they voted for in 2012/2008 if eligible, and if they voted in midterms if eligible

kirblar

Right. Sandersforpres people and Bernieorbust people are not regular Democratic voters. They are probably Ron Paul voters (ayyy lmao Retro wassup) and didn't vote for Obama anyway.

I really wish we had data on that, supporting Bernie vs Hillary and who they voted for in 2012/2008 if eligible, and if they voted in midterms if eligible
We do. Sanders never-Hillary voters look like a big middle finger graphed out, they're mostly "moderates".

Subtle

I think therein lies the problem lol

I'm not even sure what you're arguing.

That instead the majority voting bloc, a more diverse constituency, one that more closely resembles the Democratic coalition that wins elections, who have chosen a nominee... should be disregarded?

To humour young angry white guys that refuse to switch into GE mode.

Because they'll revolt or something.

He's not incorrect that such a bloc exists. I know plenty of democrats who are mostly concerned with economic issues and have become even more racially resentful because of this election. I live with one. Jim Webb... might be one. They exist!

Wow. I just realized that Bernie Sanders is definitely never going to endorse Hillary Clinton, now. Because this was definitely the time to do it. I mean, I really thought he was going to do it at the convention, but it doesn't actually make sense given his speech tonight.

Wow.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow. I just realized that Bernie Sanders is definitely never going to endorse Hillary Clinton, now. Because this was definitely the time to do it. I mean, I really thought he was going to do it at the convention, but it doesn't actually make sense given his speech tonight.

Wow.

It doesn't matter. He is not relevant.

The following people will also not be endorsing Hillary Clinton: Hulk Hogan, Randy Pitchford, Barney the Dinosaur, Latoya Jackson, Janet Jackson, Jack from Will & Grace, Will, Grace, and Bartolo Colon.

Wow.

You're not going to get a traditional endorsement, no. It's just going to be "We have to do everything to defeat Donald Trump." You'll get that and you'll like it.

Does anyone honestly want to hear Bernie speak at the convention? I mean it's just going to be his stump speech if history is any indication.

Will be fun to see him call the entire convention full of people establishment and corrupt, though.

Iolo

He's not incorrect that such a bloc exists. I know plenty of democrats who are mostly concerned with economic issues and have become even more racially resentful because of this election. I live with one. Jim Webb... might be one. They exist!

Would Jim Webb vote for Bernie Sanders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom