• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gift that keeps on giving. Trump's causing senators to run from him to W. Bush allowing Dems to tie them all to W. as well. It's amazing that we haven't even gotten to the main theme of the election yet: when the Dems are in control, the economy booms. When the GOP is in control, we get the great recession under W.

or, dem policies actually damage the economy, but the effects are only seen after years of implementation and republicans are actually trying to fix them before they cause recession!

ClJ_9BAUoAEMQvw.jpg:large

Wow.

ampere

Been trying to call my Senators today to tell them I want them to vote yes to the gun control proposals on Monday, but they lines are continuously busy.

Anyone who has called Senators before or worked with them know if leaving a message is sufficient for your voice being heard, or sending an email? I haven't been good about actually contacting my Senators in the past since Georgia has two Republicans who I expect to ignore me, but I want to start trying at least.

Been trying to call my Senators today to tell them I want them to vote yes to the gun control proposals on Monday, but they lines are continuously busy.

Anyone who has called Senators before or worked with them know if leaving a message is sufficient for your voice being heard, or sending an email? I haven't been good about actually contacting my Senators in the past since Georgia has two Republicans who I expect to ignore me, but I want to start trying at least.
I called Portmans office and left a message. I didn't bother with Sherrods office though. I know how he'll vote.

Iolo

Long shot, but do you have access to a fax machine? You could fax a letter.

Don't send an email. It's best to actually get an aide on the phone but a voicemail is good if you can't.

ampere

Well I managed to get through to both and state my thoughts. They didn't take my name or address though so idk. I was googling and some folks said it's important to express that you are a constituent and they usually take your address

Iolo

Well I managed to get through to both and state my thoughts. They didn't take my name or address though so idk. I was googling and some folks said it's important to express that you are a constituent and they usually take your address

One reason that a letter or fax is nice, it can establish you are a constituent (via the originating address, and if that fails, the address in the body). Plus, old people like old methods of communication.

You still went beyond 99.9% of the population just by calling.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
We should follow on britain's lead and have a referendum on if we should raise the debt ceiling!

ampere

One reason that a letter or fax is nice, it can establish you are a constituent (via the originating address, and if that fails, the address in the body). Plus, old people like old methods of communication.

That makes sense, both of them are pretty old. I didn't see fax numbers listed on here though: http://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/senators_cfm.cfm?State=GA

You still went beyond 99.9% of the population just by calling.

Yeah I was reading that Senators actually hear from such a small % of their constituents and gun control is so important I can't just say nothing

Diablos

Weaver on MSNBC today said Bernie is still running for President. He still has any active campaign. Lololol
Words can't express my frustration here. I'm just trying to figure out what he stands to gain by doing this unless he really wants to fuck everything up at the convention OR if he really thinks that something bad is still going to happen in regards to HRC's emails etc. because really there's no other legit reason. He can still make a deal for influencing the party platform and not be a candidate.

NPR posted a video of an 8th Grader impersonating Trump, Cruz, Obama, Hillary, and Bernie for his graduation speech.

"Some of the best cinnamon rolls I'VE EVER TASTED! I do have one improvement for them, though!: We need to make them FREE! What we need is a cinnamon roll REVOLUTION!"

"As far as school's go, TMS is in the top one half of one half of one percent of school's...in the ENTIRE COUNTRY!"​

Impressions are surprisingly spot on, especially Bernie.

That was great, thanks for sharing it!

thebloo

NPR posted a video of an 8th Grader impersonating Trump, Cruz, Obama, Hillary, and Bernie for his graduation speech.

"Some of the best cinnamon rolls I'VE EVER TASTED! I do have one improvement for them, though!: We need to make them FREE! What we need is a cinnamon roll REVOLUTION!"

"As far as school's go, TMS is in the top one half of one half of one percent of school's...in the ENTIRE COUNTRY!"​

This is excellent.

Teggy

I only have one Facebook friend that is a Bernie person. I just ignore his Bernie posts. This morning he and his friends were congratulating Bernie for knocking DWS out. I reallllly wanted to post something but I didn't think it was worth it.

This is incredible. The trump and Bernie ones are so great.

Damn. At 8th grade graduation of all places. Kids fucked up their speeches in 12th grade and this one was spot on.

Kusagari

I'm half-expecting Bernie to never "end" his campaign at this point and just passively aggressively support Hillary without ever actually endorsing her.

Holmes

Something's going on in North Carolina behind the scenes. The Clinton campaign's ad buy there is now at $3.7 million, more than Florida's $3 million, but less than Ohio's $4.5 million. There have also been reports that the RNC has 50 staffers in the state that's preventing them from expanding in other states that they want, like Pennsylvania. Clinton's team knows they can get it and the RNC is worried.

I've got an experiment. Just replace every occurrence of the word "muslim" with "Jew" and see if someone sounds like a fucking Nazi.
Something's going on in North Carolina behind the scenes. The Clinton campaign's ad buy there is now at $3.7 million, more than Florida's $3 million, but less than Ohio's $4.5 million. There have also been reports that the RNC has 50 staffers in the state that's preventing them from expanding in other states that they want, like Pennsylvania. Clinton's team knows they can get it and the RNC is worried.
It doesn't matter. Trump is going to get California and New York.

YES. Come and save us Hillary! Deliver us from McCrory!

It's so beautiful. Your know she is so happy to be handing them their ass after 25 years of bullshit.

Holmes

Priorities USA has also been increasing their ad buy in North Carolina too. They've been running ads for the past month. Trump hasn't been running ads anywhere and so far there's no indication that he'll start. Clinton has control of the airwaves and she gets the first word - she's defining herself how she wants, and Priorities USA is defining Trump in a negative light (although you really only need to turn the news on for that, not see the attack ads of him attacking women and disabled people).

I also think that Pennsylvania will get more attention in October than North Carolina will, because I think NC will be in Clinton's column by then and PA is the ultimate fools' gold that Republicans think they can get.

How does Rubio running affect the Dems regaining the majority in the Senate?
Debbie Wasserman Schultz takes his seat and then the Democrats eject Rubio into the asteroid belt, where he will grow in power over a century and come back to take revenge in an event known as the second impact.

Geg

Priorities USA has also been increasing their ad buy in North Carolina too. They've been running ads for the past month. Trump hasn't been running ads anywhere and so far there's no indication that he'll start. Clinton has control of the airwaves and she gets the first word - she's defining herself how she wants, and Priorities USA is defining Trump in a negative light (although you really only need to turn the news on for that, not see the attack ads of him attacking women and disabled people).

I also think that Pennsylvania will get more attention in October than North Carolina will, because I think NC will be in Clinton's column by then and PA is the ultimate fools' gold that Republicans think they can get.

That reminds me wasn't Trump supposed to give a speech in response to her big one against him? Did that ever happen?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Cross-posting:

If I'm being honest, I think this gun control vote is just a play by Democrats. Make the most basic, common sense bill and watch as it still fails because all the Republicans vote against it . Then use it against them in November.

Holmes

How does Rubio running affect the Dems regaining the majority in the Senate?
Too many unknowns right now. He might not run. He might lose the primary against Beruff (rich businessman running as a populist/anti-politician Trump type). He was pictured shaking Obama's hand yesterday - might sink him like it did Crist. Beruff might run third party if he loses the primary. Trump is dragging downballot Republicans down (and Rubio knows this).

Holmes

That reminds me wasn't Trump supposed to give a speech in response to her big one against him? Did that ever happen?
I think that was the New Hampshire speech back on Monday?

Clinton's campaign knows that they are (or were) on unfavorable terrain after the shooting in Orlando, so their strategy was to match Trump in everything he did. For every phoner he did to the media, Clinton called in later. For every interview he did, Clinton had one. For every speech Trump gave, she gave one too. I don't think in their wildest dreams that Trump would so completely screw up what's a normally a slam dunk for Republican candidates.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
"Saudi Arabia and Kuwait have piled on outrage after Hillary Clinton condemned the weekend slaughter in Orlando and directly linked the oil-rich monarchies to the funding of terrorism."

Of course on reddit, Sanders supporters jumped all over this, saying Clinton should "return their money" and she is only saying this since "Sanders said it first". Of course, the earlier cable leak shows Clinton has been of this opinion for a while now.

This led to the most succinct summary of that subset of Hardcore Sanders Supporters i've ever read, in the comments:

This sub shows why Bernie lost. When you look at the people who support him, the kind of people that accuse others of shilling because they don't agree with their exact opinion. When people try to point out and explain why a particular issue is moronic to focus on when there are countless other excellent issues to hit her on, they get called a shill. Sanders never stood a chance because of people like those responding to this comment. They have blind conviction, unable to see challenges and weaknesses in their own candidate. They've adopted that candidate as part of their identity. They aren't a person anymore with complex ideas. They aren't an American trying to fix issues. All they have become are "Sanders Supporter #114535" and they're okay with that, because they found an identity. Something that makes them feel like a part of a group and part of a movement and part of something important. It's just another long slog down the slope of anti-intellectualism in this country.
I'm truly disappointed that this was the quality of individual that Sanders was relying on to support him. I don't want Hillary to be POTUS. I will vote for her over Trump, I won't be happy about it, but I'll do it to protect the country from someone like Donald Trump. I wanted Bernie. I didn't think he had a shot, but goddamnit I wanted him. It's sad that we're relying on an indictment to make that happen, but the fact that Sanders supporters couldn't help him win the nomination with that hanging over her head should bring a moment of pause to every single one of you. During every cry of foul play, during every moment of calling someone a shill and during every moment of self-righteous indignation at someone not agreeing with your exact viewpoint, remember that Sanders, your new special identity, lost... take a moment and really examine why that happened.

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/...bia_upset_after_hillary_clinton_links/d4cur3q

It's obviously coming from someone who dislikes Clinton, but his underlying point is solid.

The question that's tougher to answer, did Sanders help create these supporters, or were they always this way?

I think he tapped into supporters that were already this way.

kess

I see Charles C. Johnson got banned from Twitter again, he is apparently stalking 90s Clinton ally Walter Hubbell.

Holmes

"Saudi Arabia and Kuwait have piled on outrage after Hillary Clinton condemned the weekend slaughter in Orlando and directly linked the oil-rich monarchies to the funding of terrorism."

Of course on reddit, Sanders supporters jumped all over this, saying Clinton should "return their money" and she is only saying this since "Sanders said it first". Of course, the earlier cable leak shows Clinton has been of this opinion for a while now.

This led to the most succinct summary of that subset of Hardcore Sanders Supporters i've ever read, in the comments:

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/...bia_upset_after_hillary_clinton_links/d4cur3q

It's obviously coming from someone who dislikes Clinton, but his underlying point is solid.

The question that's tougher to answer, did Sanders help create these supporters, or were they always this way?

I think he tapped into supporters that were already this way.
Listen, I've said this time and time again. Sanders' true believers are mostly now just Ron Paul/Ralph Nader types, Green party voters, non-voters and 18-24 year old's - i.e. baby's first competitive national primary. They'll believe anything - true or not - that backs up their pre-conceived ideas about Clinton that they all came up with in their little bubble, and will retaliate against anyone who challenges them. Sanders calling for a new generation of elected officials that mirror them is... laughable. Also scary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom