• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubie

Only thing that saved that episode of Real time was Col. Lawrence Wilkerson, and Ravi Patel, because they were the only thing up there that made sense. Explaining you cant put all Muslims in a box. Alas Maher closing his ears and hiding in "all religion is bad" bubble. There was a time I liked the guy, but over the years...I don't know this video says it all. Its from tonight.

only if you want to get mad at the generalizations Maher made about "ALL" Muslims.

edit: He constantly over the past few years has gone on tangents against Islam, this is just the worst of it.

This guy is a gun owning Republican and he just owned both that Trump supporter nutjob Lady on the panel and Bill Maher himself all night long. That was the only reason I kept watching. This is the kind of Republican that no longer exists, since he said nobody except MAYBE law enforcement should even use AR-15s.

Col. Wilkerson spit fire on Maher's anti Islam agenda all night long too. Right at the end was the best, I think Bill was out of words so he ended the panel and went to the "New Rules" segment early.

So, I've had about 3 emails and 2 phone calls from Hillary people in the last 48 hours. They're having a day of action today, and they're lining up volunteers. Pretty cool to see them in force this early. I couldn't go to the day of action, but I've signed up to volunteer. They said something about training and whatever, but still didn't have any information.

Farmboy

So, I've had about 3 emails and 2 phone calls from Hillary people in the last 48 hours. They're having a day of action today, and they're lining up volunteers. Pretty cool to see them in force this early. I couldn't go to the day of action, but I've signed up to volunteer. They said something about training and whatever, but still didn't have any information.

Good to hear they're not complacent (not that I expected them to be). And thanks in advance for helping out, if I lived in the US I would too. (Tips on what I can do from Europe are appreciated)

Good to hear they're not complacent (not that I expected them to be). And thanks in advance for helping out, if I lived in the US I would too. (Tips on what I can do from Europe are appreciated)

I *think* you can volunteer through the virtual phone bank even if you're not a US citizen. I'm like 99% sure on that. At least, you can if you're actually in the US. I don't know how it works for those outside the US. I know Bernie had quite a few people calling on his behalf from Europe. I got a phone call from someone in Germany, I think it was.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Apparently, he thinks being on tv all the time will be enough to win.

I can see how he came to that conclusion, and there was perhaps an element of truth he could have remained competitive leaning on that if he could have continued to get the same kind of coverage he had through the primaries.

However, I think he blew it with how he handled the Judge comments when he went after the press at large and a couple of individual journalists. I think a bunch of press people took that personally as since that day there seems to have been a tangible shift in coverage. He is getting called out and fact checked a LOT more than he was previously, and there is a lot less framing the thing as a "dead heat".

Annoying the press at the same time as the opposition nominee is confirmed amid powerful endorsements while you continue to double down on racist rhetoric isn't going to win you favorable TV coverage. I don't see how he pulls out of the media death spiral either given they smell blood. What they want to cover now is not a horse race, but a massive landslide.

itschris

Sopan Deb
‏@SopanDeb

The Trump "We're gonna win" rant to end his speech tonight was amazing - in the top ten of 2016 for sure.

ThCJ45x.jpg

I can't wait for Trump to save the second amendment 100 percent! You're all going to be so upset at how much he's winning by.

mo60

I can see how he came to that conclusion, and there was perhaps an element of truth he could have remained competitive leaning on that if he could have continued to get the same kind of coverage he had through the primaries.

However, I think he blew it with how he handled the Judge comments when he went after the press at large and a couple of individual journalists. I think a bunch of press people took that personally as since that day there seems to have been a tangible shift in coverage. He is getting called out and fact checked a LOT more than he was previously, and there is a lot less framing the thing as a "dead heat".

Annoying the press at the same time as the opposition nominee is confirmed amid powerful endorsements while you continue to double down on racist rhetoric isn't going to win you favorable TV coverage. I don't see how he pulls out of the media death spiral either given they smell blood. What they want to cover now is not a horse race, but a massive landslide.

The awesome thing now is that we are going to be constantly be hearing stories about how the republicans are in disarray until november.Also, the republicans can't get rid of him so they stuck with him until november.Trump's going to make more and more mistakes as we get deeper until the election which will help keep the media interested in covering the republicans struggling to deal with the guy.

thebloo

Regarding religion, Maher and his types seem to have never had a serious discussion with religious people. They're just pushing anecdotes and extreme examples and then going "this is what religion is!!! How are people sooooo stupid?".

You'll never get anywhere like that. For a lot of people, their beliefs are a foundation of who they are, you can't shame them out of it. And I don't think that you should.

Diablos

Even the hardcore Bernie or Bust peeps on my timeline don't even post about Bernie anymore. He's DONE.

Everyone is now posting about the Orlando stuff and gun control. I get the odd Orlando conspiracy shit though, and it's mostly the odd Bernie Buster posting it, quelle surprise. Not.
The crisis actors are getting so much better. Just look at the cell phone videos. I think the Lizard race is tightening its grip on our media, I really do.

This is dated literally the day Bernie announced.

I also find it suspicious the leak didn't include who sent it.

When stuff like this is leaked, it literally makes me feel better about any shenanigans, because if that's the worst a hacker found, then the DNC are clean as a whistle.

See also the dump of Clinton's email.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I wonder, is there any betting market on which jackass will be the one to formally nominate Trump at the RNC? Or is that a shoo-in for Christie?

andthebeatgoeson

Most definitely. I was still fully on board the Bernie train at this point in the campaign, but when my girlfriend showed me the Birdie video clip the night after it happened, it made me so uncomfortable. The audience's reaction (aka freaking the fuck out like the heavens parted and God came down to the podium to officially endorse him) was some of the most cringe-inducing stuff I've seen in a long time, as was the social media response to it. I hate having to use "cringe", but there is literally nothing else that better encapsulates how that whole thing felt to me.
Are we related?

this bernie guy, i mean really? didn't support obama and even contemplated a primary campaign against him in 2012 and now is literally and figuratively and whatever -ely you want to use, the only democrat (and i use that term loosely with Bern) to not endorse the first female nominee of a party. what a dope.

Regarding religion, Maher and his types seem to have never had a serious discussion with religious people. They're just pushing anecdotes and extreme examples and then going "this is what religion is!!! How are people sooooo stupid?".

You'll never get anywhere like that. For a lot of people, their beliefs are a foundation of who they are, you can't shame them out of it. And I don't think that you should.

I don't like people who get all high on themselves as they rag on the religious. Criticize religious organizations and entities, sure... but don't criticize the believers as if they 100% endorse all of that.

Maher and his dumb smug face really rub me the wrong way.

I'm a hard atheist. I'm 100% certain in and of myself that God doesn't exist... yet I can see all the good that religion can and does do, without being blinded to it by the bad. I've seen people find faith and really turn their lives around, and people lose it and plummet down into the darkness.

It can be misused. It can be corrupted. It can do harm... but so can a lot of things. Religion is 90% of the time (figure pulled out of my ass) something positive and affirmative. We can work to try and make that figure even higher. We should continue to promote religious freedom and separation of church and state...

But we shouldn't be going after beliefs. You literally can't stop everyone from believing something. You beat bad ideas with better ideas, not by banning the bad ones.

Even the hardcore Bernie or Bust peeps on my timeline don't even post about Bernie anymore. He's DONE.

Everyone is now posting about the Orlando stuff and gun control. I get the odd Orlando conspiracy shit though, and it's mostly the odd Bernie Buster posting it, quelle surprise. Not.
Jealous. Mine are talking about what positions they should run for. Including the nutter who previously said he wished it was legal to choke me to death. Maybe that'll be his platform.

thebloo

I am starting to seriously worry that Trump might get replaced at the convention.

So? Whoever takes it has no legitimacy, no TV time, no money and no ground game. He'll also have Trump tearing him apart for 4 months. Also, in this theoretical scenario, Trump surely goes on a independent run.

CCS

Banned
So? Whoever takes it has no legitimacy, no TV time, no money and no ground game. He'll also have Trump tearing him apart for 4 months. Also, in this theoretical scenario, Trump surely goes on a independent run.

It's not so much from the Presidential perspective, having Trump at the head of the Republican ticket is too good for the down ballot races to pass up.

I am starting to seriously worry that Trump might get replaced at the convention.

This would be the best case if you're talking about a complete Dem takeover.

It's not so much from the Presidential perspective, having Trump at the head of the Republican ticket is too good for the down ballot races to pass up.

Think about all the republicans who would NOT vote this year out of protest because the RNC backstabbed the will of the voters.

CCS

Banned
This would be the best case if you're talking about a complete Dem takeover.

Think about all the republicans who would NOT vote this year out of protest because the RNC backstabbed the will of the voters.

I don't see that happening though, Republicans turn out pretty much no matter what.

thebloo

If they ousted him and he ran independent, do you think the people that vote for him would vote for the "weak sad losers" of the R party that backstabbed Trump? A party can never be stronger through internal war.

CCS

Banned
If they ousted him and he ran independent, do you think the people that vote for him would vote for the "weak sad losers" of the R party that backstabbed Trump? A party can never be stronger through internal war.

He can't really run independent at this point though, it's too late for him to get on the ballot in a lot of states.

Oh well, I'm sure things will be good either way.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't see that happening though, Republicans turn out pretty much no matter what.

Well, we've never seen the nomination stolen before either. When it comes to Presidential politics nothing's ever happened until it does. There just isn't a big enough sample size to say anything else with certainty.

Farmboy

I *think* you can volunteer through the virtual phone bank even if you're not a US citizen. I'm like 99% sure on that. At least, you can if you're actually in the US. I don't know how it works for those outside the US. I know Bernie had quite a few people calling on his behalf from Europe. I got a phone call from someone in Germany, I think it was.

I'll look into it, thanks!

He can't really run independent at this point though, it's too late for him to get on the ballot in a lot of states.

Lets say that he's ousted during the convention, he still has 37 states he can file independent for before the first wave of the August 1st deadlines.

Farmboy

There's talk, but the forces that would need to come together to make this happen are about as disorganized as the Trump campaign.

The betting markets put his odds of actually getting the nomination at ~92%. That seems about right. It's also an historic low for someone who has clinched.

A rejected Trump would still be just as capable of monopolizing media airtime to savage the GOP nominee and shit-talk the party, regardless of whether he's actually running third-party. Their guy (let's say Paul Ryan) would never get a chance to define himself in a positive way or establish any legitimacy. It would just be conspiracy theories and howls of victimization to November and beyond, made even more powerful by the fact that the conspiracy was real and the establishment actually did victimize them. The only way I see a replacement GOP candidate doing even marginally ok (defined as keeping within 5-10 points of Hillary) is if Trump does something truly insane like dropping the n-word.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If we could get immigration reform and some improvements to Obamacare through, that alone would be fantastic.

I'd be happy with one of those things.

They might just kill the fillibuster this time if they get control of both.

That I doubt. Until the GOP finishes it's realignment it's too risky to attempt. I'd rather not lose everything if the shit hits the fan.

CCS

Banned
A rejected Trump would still be just as capable of monopolizing media airtime to savage the GOP nominee and shit-talk the party, regardless of whether he's actually running third-party. Their guy (let's say Paul Ryan) would never get a chance to define himself in a positive way or establish any legitimacy. It would just be conspiracy theories and howls of victimization to November and beyond, made even more powerful by the fact that the conspiracy was real and the establishment actually did victimize them. The only way I see a replacement GOP candidate doing even marginally ok (defined as keeping within 5-10 points of Hillary) is if Trump does something truly insane like dropping the n-word.

I suppose so.

I guess I should just stop Diablosing and enjoy the ride.

Take a leaf out of Adam's book :p

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I said it before the best the GOP can do at this point is remove Trump, and present no candidate and no opposition at all to Hillary, hoping it might give them arguments to undermine Hillary's legitimacy during her presidency. Their real goal is to find a narrative to justify their constant refusal to sign anything Hillary wills end to congress, because they sure as hell aren't getting the presidency.

I said it before the best the GOP can do at this point is remove Trump, and present no candidate and no opposition at all to Hillary, hoping it might give them arguments to undermine Hillary's legitimacy during her presidency. Their real goal is to find a narrative to justify their constant refusal to sign anything Hillary wills end to congress, because they sure as hell aren't getting the presidency.

What

That doesn't make any sense.

"We are allowing Hillary to run unopposed, Hillary is illegitimate because she had no opponent!"

Too many Republicans are on record supporting Trump for any of these schemes to be feasible.

That two week polling bounce really screwed them. The party's failure to understand polling in general keeps fucking them over and I love it.

I suppose so.

I guess I should just stop Diablosing and enjoy the ride.

Take a leaf out of Adam's book :p

Even though I am confident this election is going to turn out well for us, it is a lot more stressful for me than prior ones, I guess because the republican base has never been this bad. Even if our odds are better, the stakes are worse. If a magical imp Reince Priebus appeared before me and offered me a bizarro universe in which the house and senate were under moderate, Romney-ish GOP control and Romney were also the candidate, but there was only a 55% chance of Hillary winning this fall, I would have to think hard about that offer.

Diablos

Even though I am confident this election is going to turn out well for us, it is a lot more stressful for me than prior ones, I guess because the republican base has never been this bad. Even if our odds are better, the stakes are worse. If a magical imp Reince Priebus appeared before me and offered me a bizarro universe in which the house and senate were under moderate, Romney-ish GOP control and Romney were also the candidate, but there was only a 55% chance of Hillary winning this fall, I would have to think hard about that offer.
Quite an imagination you have. I'd be thinking about it too now that you put it that way.

It's why I was so pissed when McCain picked Palin in 2008. I was for Obama all the way but up until then it was nice to not be existentially worried about the election results for the first time in eight years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom