• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT7| Notorious R.B.G. Plans NZ Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, a lot more than usual.

He also had a gun rights nutjob that agreed with his views on Islam.

ugh

I'm really tired of him and all the self proclaimed intellectuals who obsess over this wedge issue whilst ignoring the very obvious flaws in their complaints as to how society treats different religions

Rubio's back:

WASHINGTON — Senator Marco Rubio of Florida is leaning heavily toward running for re-election to the seat he swore he was giving up after six often frustrating years and a failed presidential run, associates said on Friday, a reversal that would upend one of the most competitive races in the country.

He's the most hated politician in Florida right now and is gonna get fucked up real bad so this is gonna be fun.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/18/u...ss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytpolitics&smtyp=cur&_r=0

fauxtrot

Banned
Hasn't he been nicer towards QUeen lately?

I haven't watched him in at least a year or two so I couldn't say. He seems like the Bernie or Bust type to me but that's maybe an unfair assessment.

Rubio's back:

He's the most hated politician in Florida right now and is gonna get fucked up real bad so this is gonna be fun.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/18/u...ss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytpolitics&smtyp=cur&_r=0

I love how Rubio hates being a Senator but his dream job (the Presidency) is somewhat similar, only infinitely more difficult.

Bill Maher is not wrong about the things he talks about. Is he smug and brash about religion? Yes, but so are the religious. He's part of a big effort doing the good work that will eventually lead us to an irreligious society. Thank the god I don't believe in that there are men like him.

Teggy

Lies are all they have left.

Ballots are still being counted in California, and last I heard, at least 3 counties originally "won" by Hillary have flipped to Bernie, and based on what has been seen so far with the mail-in & provisional ballots, Bernie is estimated to have won California by a landslide with around 69% to Hillary's 31%.

wat

My favorite is this, which goes along with that list of supposed superdelegate reversals:

Google will try not to tell you this

Because if you search for any of the names, you'll see that they have never publicly announced support for either candidate, and they still have not. So if you find out the truth, Google is just hiding it from you I told you so!!!!111

That Clinton ad buy in total has become ginormous. Setting the tone in the few actually potentially competitive states early could lock Trump out entirely. Does Trump even have a campaign fund for advertising, to say nothing of actually running ads?
I'd guess it's an awkward exchange where both offer to pay back and forth before one concedes
Can confirm that this is how all dating works in Wisconsin. We then apologize to one another for 20 minutes for not being the person who let the other person who let the other person pick up the bill. It's an apology positive feedback loop.

fauxtrot

Banned
Bill Maher is not wrong about the things he talks about. Is he smug and brash about religion? Yes, but so are the religious. He's part of a big effort doing the good work that will eventually lead us to an irreligious society. Thank the god I don't believe in that there are men like him.

Fighting zealotry with zealotry is one hell of a flawed gameplan though, don't you think? It seems like an arrogance-fueled fool's errand to me.

Sibylus

Banned
ResidentSleeper.png
ResidentSleeper.png
ResidentSleeper.png

Maher, and the gnu atheism movement for that matter, will go into a history as a footnote... if even that. It's a white boys club and operates as such.

I love how Rubio hates being a Senator but his dream job (the Presidency) somewhat similar, only infinitely more difficult.

I'm terrified of a Rubio presidency because 1) he's trusted as a "moderate" so people would accept the BS he spews, and 2) because he hates working so much, there's a huge chance that he'd be Dubya 2.0 and just pick someone to do most of the work like Cheney, and there could be nothing anyone could do about such a person.

wat

My favorite is this, which goes along with that list of supposed superdelegate reversals:

Because if you search for any of the names, you'll see that they have never publicly announced support for either candidate, and they still have not. So if you find out the truth, Google is just hiding it from you I told you so!!!!111

Actually crazy people weird me out. Like, that person is honestly not all there.

Fighting zealotry with zealotry is one hell of a flawed gameplan though, don't you think? It seems like an arrogance-fueled fool's errand to me.
Did you watch Religilous? Making people feel embarrassed for having such bizarre and illogical beliefs is probably the fastest way to do this.

ResidentSleeper.png
ResidentSleeper.png
ResidentSleeper.png

Maher, and the gnu atheism movement for that matter, will go into a history as a footnote... if even that. It's a white boys club and operates as such.
Will Richard Dawkins go into history as a footnote? How about Christopher Hitchens?

Ecotic

I love how Rubio hates being a Senator but his dream job (the Presidency) somewhat similar, only infinitely more difficult.

What's most odd about it, is Rubio has only ever been a legislator. He was Speaker of the State House before being a Senator. I've heard of former Governors going crazy after they become a Senator because they realize everything they do now is a mere suggestion, and they're used to barking orders. Rubio apparently has just enjoyed torturing himself.

Iolo

That Clinton ad buy in total has become ginormous. Setting the tone in the few actually potentially competitive states early could lock Trump out entirely. Does Trump even have a campaign fund for advertising, to say nothing of actually running ads?

Actually... thinking about it, lost in all the hubbub about Bernie not reporting fundraising numbers for May, did we get numbers for Trump? I remember he didn't have much cash on hand.

Sibylus

Banned
Did you watch Religilous? Making people feel embarrassed for having such bizarre and illogical beliefs is probably the fastest way to do this.

Will Richard Dawkins go into history as a footnote? How about Christopher Hitchens?

Dawkins' work with evolutionary genetics will (deservedly) feature larger than his gasbagging about religion. Hitchens? His writings will outlive his part in new atheism.

Know why? Because new atheism is a movement by, for, and about decently well-off white men and their perspectives on politics and religion. Intersectionality is a foreign concept to it.

One: Religilous was unfunny, lazy crap. It's terrible. And lazy. And, I can't believe how lazy it was. I even made a thread about how lazy it was last year!

Two: Dawkins will be remembered for his scientific work, and, not to be an ass, but Hitchens already is forgotten about except for those in the hardcore atheist community. Even political people have moved on from Hitchens.

All three of us! Might actually get on right now.

Did you add me?

I'm online if you want to party up.

My last match. Ya, my Clan name is Cher. lol

Anyway, I know it doesn't matter now, but did Bernie release May funds? What about his financial disclosures? The ones he couldn't do because he was too busy running for President? Did we ever get those?

Did you add me?

I'm online if you want to party up.

My last match. Ya, my Clan name is Cher. lol

Anyway, I know it doesn't matter now, but did Bernie release May funds? What about his financial disclosures? The ones he couldn't do because he was too busy running for President? Did we ever get those?
Not yet. Last match was 33 and 0. No camping. Also had a 27 and 0 match recently. Clan tag is currently RIP but thinking of changing it to SSDD (Same shit, different day) due to the campers lately.

I just realized I don't think I've ever watched anything Maher has done or been in.

Wait, no, I did watch Religulous. I didn't much care for it.

Tubie

I just realized I don't think I've ever watched anything Maher has done or been in.

Wait, no, I did watch Religulous. I didn't much care for it.

He's funny when taking down Republicans, but is a total idiot when it comes to religion, specially Islam.

Like tonight the show actually started off great cause he shit on Trump during the monologue and then had a really good guest.

Then the panel came and he made most of it about his hate boner for Islam.

He's funny when taking down Republicans, but is a total idiot when it comes to religion, specially Islam.

Like tonight the show actually started off great cause he shit on Trump during the monologue and then had a really good guest.

Then the panel came and he made most of it about his hate boner for Islam.

There are very few comedians who can do religion funny. Eddie Izzard, comes to mind. But, that's just because I love him. XD

Also, idk why I can't party up. But I'm probably going to turn in on COD for now. :)

fauxtrot

Banned

I saw it when it came out and thought it was masturbatory and made no attempt to give a real solution outside if shaming religious people, which I don't think will ever work.

Maengun1

I haven't watched him in at least a year or two so I couldn't say. He seems like the Bernie or Bust type to me but that's maybe an unfair assessment.

Maher preferred Bernie but he's always been positive/fair toward Hillary as well, is backing her basically without reservation now, etc. He's pretty realistic about presidential politics from everything I've ever seen...basically said "give it up Bernie" last week, he loathes Trump and complains appropriately when people try to pull the false equivalency crap with them. He said months ago something like "if I were explaining this election to a child, I would say it's a crazy man vs. a smart lady."

I know he can be an ass about religion...I'm an atheist myself but I'm pretty chill about it (I don't think about it much at all tbh) so all those controversies with him just kinda go over my head. I usually enjoy the show but he's been having a bunch of extra-trolly Trump supporters on lately and they just derail the whole hour.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Maher preferred Bernie but he's always been positive/fair toward Hillary as well, is backing her basically without reservation now, etc. He's pretty realistic about presidential politics from everything I've ever seen...basically said "give it up Bernie" last week, he loathes Trump and complains appropriately when people try to pull the false equivalency crap with them. He said months ago something like "if I were explaining this election to a child, I would say it's a crazy man vs. a smart lady."

I know he can be an ass about religion...I'm an atheist myself but I'm pretty chill about it (I don't think about it much at all tbh) so all those controversies with him just kinda go over my head. I usually enjoy the show but he's been having a bunch of extra-trolly Trump supporters on lately and they just derail the whole hour.

He is not as bad about Religion as New Atheist Youtube People at least.

TyrantII

Ehh, he's scared shitless because of all the death threats he gets. Statistics don't lie and Islamic terrorism is the last thing to piss your pants about, but he does so every freaking week now. It's getting tiresome. Especially the false equivilance that Christians don't resort to violence or believe some fucked up shit.

Just this week we saw two churches praise Orlando. A year ago someone killed people in an abortion clinic.

Vahagn

Bill Maher is a hack. He's an unfunny, infinitely more annoying, wannabe Jon Stewart.

The only people that actually like that dude are the people that have an axe to grind with religion.

ampere

Maher sucks and Kristoffer is a bad troll

Dreamfall Chapters Book 5 finally came out today! It was cool. Recommend it for nerds who played The Longest Journey and Dreamfall

How does Libby Schaaf (Oakland mayor) still have a job?

Her police covered up murder, were massive racists, and rape children and three police chiefs have resigned within eight days (one after another after another). Come on, people, make her unemployed.

Are there seriously no Real Time fans here?

Don't lie, ampere, you love every inch of this.

I've been watching Maher since ABC, but I'm not going to pretend he's a bastion of genius or anything. Remember when he proposed to Ann Coulter on the last episode? I DO! Remember when Paul Tompkins was on the show? I DO! Remember when they used to have live callers? I DO!

So, yeah, I've watched this show for a while. Religigulous is still hot LAZY LAZY LAZY LAZY garbage.

saltypickles

Neo Member
How does Libby Schaaf (Oakland mayor) still have a job?

Her police covered up murder, were massive racists, and rape children and three police chiefs have resigned within eight days (one after another after another). Come on, people, make her unemployed.

People are too busy whining about how the NBA Finals are rigged and making their itineraries for Burning Man to worry about the police scandal.

Even the hardcore Bernie or Bust peeps on my timeline don't even post about Bernie anymore. He's DONE.

Everyone is now posting about the Orlando stuff and gun control. I get the odd Orlando conspiracy shit though, and it's mostly the odd Bernie Buster posting it, quelle surprise. Not.

Merrymint

Only thing that saved that episode of Real time was Col. Lawrence Wilkerson, and Ravi Patel, because they were the only thing up there that made sense. Explaining you cant put all Muslims in a box. Alas Maher closing his ears and hiding in "all religion is bad" bubble. There was a time I liked the guy, but over the years...I don't know this video says it all. Its from tonight.

only if you want to get mad at the generalizations Maher made about "ALL" Muslims.

edit: He constantly over the past few years has gone on tangents against Islam, this is just the worst of it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
No, and he doesn't have a semblance of a ground game either. Apparently, he thinks being on tv all the time will be enough to win.

Wilsongt

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2016/06/16/3789346/washington-transgender-petition-bathroom-strategy/

At one meeting on April 27, Backholm can be heard giving various tips to petitioners, such as going to places like retirement communities, where the residents are all registered voters who are excited to have visitors. “For gentlemen,” he then suggested, “what I would encourage you to do, if you are so bold and you want to make the point, take your petitions and stand outside the women’s restroom at the mall, and if any of the women don’t want to sign it, just go ahead and follow ’em on in [laughter from crowd]. ‘Maybe this will be a better time to sign our little petition’, and we can make the point that way.”

Backholm hasn’t only made this point in private meetings. On the April 29 episode of the FPIW podcast, he shared the same suggestion and was supported by cohost Zach Freeman:

BACKHOLM: My favorite signature gathering strategy, for all the men out there: go to the mall, go to the store, stand outside the women’s locker room — take it to the gym with you — stand outside the women’s locker room and gather signatures from the women, and if they decline, then follow them into the bathroom —

FREEMAN: — and then they will sign it.

BACKHOLM: — and ask them if now would be a better time. And see what kind of a response you would get.

How ironic. They are literally creating the problem for which these dumbass laws was suppose to "protect against".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom