• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Taul Passi: Black Myth Wukong not coming to Xbox due to an exclusivity deal

Pop

Even if this was a real thing(I don't believe it is), I don't see the big deal

Season 2 Shrug GIF by The Office

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You gotta love how apparently Sony only funeded the PS5 Port to get a day one release while MS couldnt even bother despite having $80 billion to spend on zenimax and activision.

classic Microsoft. just completely out of touch with its userbase. this game was one of the first next gen looking games shown all those years ago. surely they shouldve seen the demand for it and pitched in a few dollars to get the xsx version done on time.

Just incredible if true and gives me hope that sony suits like jimbo and herman at least had some common sense after all.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
You gotta love how apparently Sony only funeded the PS5 Port to get a day one release while MS couldnt even bother despite having $80 billion to spend on zenimax and activision.

classic Microsoft. just completely out of touch with its userbase. this game was one of the first next gen looking games shown all those years ago. surely they shouldve seen the demand for it and pitched in a few dollars to get the xsx version done on time.

Just incredible if true and gives me hope that sony suits like jimbo and herman at least had some common sense after all.
And all that while accusing sony...Real classy move.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I kind of assumed the game didn't come out on Xbox because of the Series S. Too bad I've missed this thread, love me some conspiracy stuff.

Sony didn't.
The whole reason why having dominance in market share matters, is to NOT having to pay for exclusives.

I mentioned this before, but the price of obtaining third party exclusives is inversely proportional to how dominate your console is. As your dominance approaches 100%, the price to get the Third Party exclusive approaches closer to Zero. Paying for exclusives all the time is expensive, but that job gets easier the more consoles you sell.

Xbox decided that selling Xbox consoles doesn't matter anymore. So they by their actions gave Sony free Exclusives, timed or otherwise, because it is now the default.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's obvious what happened here:
Sony paid for optimization work on their console. (did they get their moneys worth? Doesn't seem so), but did not pay for it to not be released on Xbox or you can bet your ass that Sony would have advertised it as such every chance they got.
Tassi's source takes the paying part to mean sony paid to keep it off of Xbox.

That's what happened.

Sony paid for optimization work on their console. (did they get their moneys worth? Doesn't seem so), but did not pay for it to not be released on Xbox or you can bet your ass that Sony would have advertised it as such every chance they got.

That's what happened.
It is basically the same as Xbox trying but failing to get split screen BG3 working on Series S. It is good business to help your customers. And it sounds like no actual money changed hands.

Chechack

That being said props to those that were there and managed to changed their mind considering the new informations provided.
But a huge shout out to DenchDeckard DenchDeckard after the meltdown he had in the beggining it took guts to come back and own it...We know a lot of people that would just stop posting and crawl into a hole but he didn't and I think we should respect that.
The hell need to shoutout him for?he keeps doing the same thing over and over again its even more surprising that people still choose to engage him every time he does his usual stick.

Same like that Miku.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

That's what happened.

From what I've seen here and the rumblings. I think it looks more like Sony reached out to them to see how development was going, as we have heard how excellent they are with studio support on games coming to their platform. The wu Kong devs said something a long the lines of " we are struggling with the console versions and it may need to be delayed on console while we prioritise the pc release'

Then it seems like sony may have followed up with agreeing to send console support engineers but rightfully so, negotiated thw terms of. " if we help you get our console version out the door, we aren't going to help the xbox release. If we manage to get this ready for launch we want some exclusivity period"

Which to me is completely fair. If Sony have out the hard work in and supported the studio in that way then they deserve the exclusivity.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
From what I've seen here and the rumblings. I think it looks more like Sony reached out to them to see how development was going, as we have heard how excellent they are with studio support on games coming to their platform. The wu Kong devs said something a long the lines of " we are struggling with the console versions and it may need to be delayed on console while we prioritise the pc release'

Then it seems like sony may have followed up with agreeing to send console support engineers but rightfully so, negotiated thw terms of. " if we help you get our console version out the door, we aren't going to help the xbox release. If we manage to get this ready for launch we want some exclusivity period"

Which to me is completely fair. If Sony have out the hard work in and supported the studio in that way then they deserve the exclusivity.
Except the studio has said that sony sent help without asking for any form of exclusivity...
And there's a logic problem there too...Games science needed sony's help to get the playstatioàn version to release on time...Which means that since Ms didn't send help and that there is 2 versions to devellop for on xbox it logically took even more time to put it out.
So either you believce backtracking MS mouthpieces that know things, but started to not know things, that where sure and that became a "seems possible"...
And the others that say no there is no deal and among those saying there's no deal, the studio saying it in 2 different ways:
1 sony help without asking for exclusivity.
2Xbox was delayed for potimisation purposes.

Honestly what fucking conspiracy do you need at that point even when the 2 clowns that started it are backtracking and changing their versions every 6 hours?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Except the studio has said that sony sent help without asking for any form of exclusivity...
And there's a logic problem there too...Games science needed sony's help to get the playstatioàn version to release on time...Which means that since Ms didn't send help and that there is 2 versions to devellop for on xbox it logically took even more time to put it out.
So either you believce backtracking MS mouthpieces that know things, but started to not know things, that where sure and that became a "seems possible"...
And the others that say no there is no deal and among those saying there's no deal, the studio saying it in 2 different ways:
1 sony help without asking for exclusivity.
2Xbox was delayed for potimisation purposes.

Honestly what fucking conspiracy do you need at that point even when the 2 clowns that started it are backtracking and changing their versions every 6 hours?

I honestly don't know what's true, I just tried to make a suggestion. There are multiple people reporting there is an exclusivity deal but they are saying they don't believe money changed hands.

I was making a suggestion of how it may have gone down.

Why can't sony ask for exclusivity in that window that they have assisted? I think it's fair personally.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I honestly don't know what's true, I just tried to make a suggestion. There are multiple people reporting there is an exclusivity deal but they are saying they don't believe money changed hands.

Why can't sony ask for exclusivity in that window that they have assisted? I think it's fair personally.
Multiple people?I guess you haven't seen their last tweet...
Tassi lately said that it seemes it was possible there was a deal...Ironclad, do you know it seems it is possible that I am the president of France?
And jez went from I know it is a deal to the belief is there's a deal but I don't know....
Damn who to believe then? Unkess you chose to believe only tassi and corden's first tweet even if you believe them, according to them they don't know.
On the other side there's a magnitude more leakers saying there's no deal from which the studio themselves said there's no deal about a month ago_Oh and let's not forget HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 that told every conspiracy nut to ... and you guys knows what gif will folow..
Friends Lol GIF by Max

Edit : It's impressive how people would rather believe anything instead of sony's sent help therefore playstation version hasn't been delayed.
Edit 2: and let's ask a relevant question too, If sony knew that GS needed a sony team to be able to release the game on time, and if they knew that ms didn't send a team (and it's highly probable they did know since I believe that they may have more insiders sources than our own HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 )Then why bother with a deal, when you know you'll have a free timed exclusive by just helping them ?

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Even that part seems like a huge assumption, as there is simply no evidence of any exclusivity period, as Game Science has already confirmed.

What's more likely to have happened is that:
  • Game Science struggled with console ports as it was their first game.
  • Sony sent their engineers to help with the PS5 version. Microsoft didn't for the Xbox version.
  • As a result, the PS5 version was ready and released in time. The Xbox version didn't since no one was helping with it.
  • Now, Game Science is still trying to optimize the Xbox version (without Microsoft's help) which will take time.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Multiple people?I guess you haven't seen their last tweet...
Tassi lately said that it seemes it was possible there was a deal...Ironclad, do you know it seems it is possible that I am the president of France?
And jez went from I know it is a deal to the belief is there's a deal but I don't know....
Damn who to believe then? Unkess you chose to believe only tassi and corden's first tweet even if you believe them, according to them they don't know.
On the other side there's a magnitude more leakers saying there's no deal from which the studio themselves said there's no deal about a month ago_Oh and let's not forget HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 that told every conspiracy nut to ... and you guys knows what gif will folow..
Friends Lol GIF by Max

Edit : It's impressive how people would rather believe anything instead of sony's sent help therefore playstation version hasn't been delayed.
Edit 2: and let's ask a relevant question too, If sony knew that GS needed a sony team to be able to release the game on time, and if they knew that ms didn't send a team (and it's highly probable they did know since I believe that they may have more insiders sources than our own HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 )Then why bother with a deal, when you know you'll have a free timed exclusive by just helping them ?

I'm just saying how It could have gone down based on what I've seen. Ive not seen the tweets you mentioned. I just saw that some people said more is coming in the future so I guess Mr passi is trying to compile some info.

nowhat

While Sony employs a lot of talented engineers, some of which surely have experience from other platforms as well, would they have to know-how to help with the Series port? And purely from a business perspective, why would they?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
While Sony employs a lot of talented engineers, some of which surely have experience from other platforms as well, would they have to know-how to help with the Series port? And purely from a business perspective, why would they?

That's exactly what I'm saying. Why help with a competing platform code. Just work on your own and I don't know the rest.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I'm just saying how It could have gone down based on what I've seen. Ive not seen the tweets you mentioned. I just saw that some people said more is coming in the future so I guess Mr passi is trying to compile some info.
So you saw the nate the hate post that said more is coming without confirming from who or even which side will bring those , a post that barely got attention, but those backtracking tweets that have been posted a lot by multiple people somehow ecaped you ?
If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

Well I strongly advise you to check more recent posts from tassi and jez, that is an impressive backtracking that you will witness.
But since you chose to believe them, now that they are basically both saying I don't know, do you still think that the guys that don't know ...Know more than the studio ?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
That's exactly what I'm saying. Why help with a competing platform code. Just work on your own and I don't know the rest.
Maybe the studio knows , Oh wait they did say no exclusivity.
Phantom-Blade-Zero-Black-Myth-Wukong.jpg

China recently hosted its largest games exhibition, ChinaJoy 2024, where the most interesting new projects from local developers were presented. Apparently, gamers were most interested in the dark action games Black Myth: Wukong and Phantom Blade Zero.

Both games were presented at the event on behalf of PlayStation, which caused some discontent among gamers, which the developers themselves were quick to dispel. The creators of Black Myth: Wukong and Phantom Blade Zero said they had no exclusivity agreements with Sony.

Journalists attending the ChinaJoy exhibition were able to communicate with representatives from Game Science and S-GAME studios, where they addressed the issue of exclusivity for the PS5. According to the developers, they are indeed working closely with the PlayStation games division. The company offers comprehensive support in promoting games in China and abroad. In a way, Sony is the publisher of Black Myth: Wukong and Phantom Blade Zero, the authors note. However, this collaboration imposes no obligations on the teams. The developers decide independently which platforms they will release their games on and, at the moment, the most promising for release are PC and PS5.

One of the developers of Phantom Blade Zero, who wished to remain anonymous,
also noted that PlayStation helps a lot of studios in the area of testing. The company provides special debugging tools and even its own engineers. According to him, these employees are also helping with PC optimization alongside the PS5 version.

When asked why his studio doesn't want to release the action game on Xbox, he replied that "nobody needs this platform". According to the developer, the console is not popular in Asia and, in addition, Microsoft has created a very overloaded ecosystem for which it is difficult to develop games.

Source (Translated)
What more do people want ?

To be honest in that article , the "we don't need xbox"part has been backtracked, I know it will be used by some to discredit the whole article but the rest has indeed been said.

skit_data

Gold Member
It's kind of a "The owl of Minerva takes flight only at dusk"-situation but anyway:
The thought of Playstation offering technical support in order to get the game out at the same time as the PC release whereas Xbox didn't actually crossed my mind during the initial news of the Xbox version being delayed.

They do seem to have a pretty large team of comptent "unsung heroes" that offer support to third party exclusives in XDEV that they utilize effectively (which also makes it rather strange to discount third party exclusives in the ever ongoing list wars). I think it's reasonable to suggest they deploy them or offer other support teams leading up to the release of key titles, even ones that doesn't involve marketing agreements etc.

Edit: It also extends to the ICE team I guess. I guess they were most important during the PS3 gen but afaik they are still around in some form.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

I guess the weekday drugs kicked in so we are back to conspiracy theories despite having previously backed down.

True Detective Time GIF

skit_data

Gold Member
Proof is in the pudding.

If game launches soon on xbox, we can assume there was no exclusivity deal.

Else there is one.

Game is hot right now, devs must be scrambling to make it work and make most of the hype, if there are technical issues.
I guess it depends how soon is "soon". I'm gonna presume there is no explicit agreement in terms of time for the sake of the argument and simply go on the presumption that PS offered support in order to meet the PC release date:

If we look at Baldurs Gate 3 for example
there was more or less a one month delay between the PC and PS5 release, which should be noted as it might be a very rough approximation of the time it takes to get a console port in order. I think it's important to keep in mind that Larian are a bigger studio than Gamescience, so it might be completely off in this case. We also have no idea to what extent PS offered technical support to Larian, which muddles it further.

Going by that one can suggest at least a 1-2 month delay with no explicit agreement being in place.

GHG

Gold Member
This came out almost 12 days after the OT and y’all motherfuckers have replied in this thread more than the one dedicated to the game.

A source with knowledge of the situation has told me that Black Myth: Wukong has currently been played more by me than all the Xbros in this thread combined, not because of an exclusivity deal, but due to a technical issue which has only occurred on their single platform of choice.

Michaela Coel Netflix GIF by Chewing Gum Gifs

This came out almost 12 days after the OT and y’all motherfuckers have replied in this thread more than the one dedicated to the game.
This thread have something that few threads have: a true twist. Remember the one about Starfield having a high steam score? Same energy to me, and I think that if there is a Sony marketing deal for a Pro version of Wukong we will go to 50 pages or more. As for the discussion, Sony wins in all scenarios, unless they overpaid somehow, or Xbox never get a Wukong port.

Edmund

You gotta just be candid, open and honest. Tell the world exactly what you heard. Forget the bull crap cryptic messages.

I trusted this guy because I read forbes and now I'm being exposed to a clown.

Shifts DenchDeckard DenchDeckard down one spot on the NeoGaf Xbox fanboy tierlist.

Shifts DenchDeckard DenchDeckard back to original position on the tier list.

Yeap. You're a clown alright.

Last edited:

the "multiple reporting" is one liar and a dozen parrots. There's no "multiple people reporting". That's factually incorrect.

Exclusivity deals are not made overnight in exchange for technical support, as if they were haggling in a fucking Persian market. They are negotiated differently, and there's no proof of involvement by Shuhei Yoshida, who is the man dealing with Asian studios.

Top Bottom