• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

N30RYU said:
FF7%2BFF13review03.jpg

Yes Tifa, I will get a 50" high definition TV. /drool

rataven

Kagari said:
I will for sure. Not going to sit around and wait for a localization when I can play it without having to get a Japanese system. I love region free.
Good, so you can do the offical thread for us! :D
TheChillyAcademic said:
Learning Japanese just for this game? I suppose it might be worth it for the truly obses- dedicated. Just not for me
Good point. It is obsessive, but will also be useful for career, other games, etc. so I figured why not. I know I'll prefer English though, just who knows how long the wait for localization will be? Sounds like there will be LOTS of dialogue.

rataven said:
Good point. It is obsessive, but will also be useful for career, other games, etc. so I figured why not. I know I'll prefer English though, just who knows how long the wait for localization will be? Sounds like there will be LOTS of dialogue.

To be fair, I did play through Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix +...though I had already played most of the game about four times in the original American release.

Nikorasu

KTallguy said:
I learned Japanese solely to play JRPGs before they come out!
It was totally worth it.

I learned Japanese to hit on Japanese girls. JRPGs are a nice bonus. :lol

i'm only partially kidding

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I feel like I'm the only one thinking the battle theme is severely overrated and one of the worst in a long time. Lost Odyssey had a battle theme approximately one billion times better. The theme gives me absolutely nothing. The main melody in it is so exceptionally boring. I don't understand those who like it at all - I hope it's not the sheep effect kicking in. :D

Seriously though, the theme is boring and extremely generic. Sounds like the composer tried to hard to sound epic, but ended up sounding extremely naive.

StarEye said:
I feel like I'm the only one thinking the battle theme is severely overrated and one of the worst in a long time. Lost Odyssey had a battle theme approximately one billion times better. The theme gives me absolutely nothing. The main melody in it is so exceptionally boring. I don't understand those who like it at all - I hope it's not the sheep effect kicking in. :D

Seriously though, the theme is boring and extremely generic. Sounds like the composer tried to hard to sound epic, but ended up sounding really amateurish.

Iunno about you, but that was the first music piece anybody heard of Final Fantasy XIII (it was in the first teaser) and that little nostalgia sent a light tingle down my spine.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
StarEye said:

Seriously though, the theme is boring and extremely generic. Sounds like the composer tried to hard to sound epic, but ended up sounding extremely naive.

wat?!!??!

ya know I respect your opinion but you seriously saying none of that sounds good?

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Yes Tifa, I will get a 50" high definition TV. /drool

<---- 52" Aquos FTW son!

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Iunno about you, but that was the first music piece anybody heard of Final Fantasy XIII (it was in the first teaser) and that little nostalgia sent a light tingle down my spine.

Yeah, okay, I guess I'm too old to feel nostalgic over something that happened only two years ago or something. I never liked it when it came out either. Then again, I never really liked the look of Final Fantasy XIII. I felt much better when I watched the VersusXIII trailer. And the latest one has excellent music, much much better than XIII.

g35twinturbo said:
wat?!!??!

ya know I respect your opinion but you seriously saying none of that sounds good?

Yeah, I like the idea. It kind reminds me of the MGS3 theme in terms of arrangement, but it's nowhere near as good as that. Using violins are a good idea too, but even that part seems simple. I don't know, the whole theme seems forced, imo.

StarEye said:
Yeah, okay, I guess I'm too old to feel nostalgic over something that happened only two years ago or something. I never liked it when it came out either.

More like 4 years ago, but I feel you. Wasn't a giant OMG THAT SONG AGAIN I CAME, more like Oh there it is, that's sweet. I've been spoiled by Shoji Meguro's work in the SMT universe so anything new in the FF front has to be 110% or I can foresee custom soundtracks.

KTallguy

Banned
StarEye said:

I like the boss battle theme much better than the normal battle theme. But the normal battle theme is pretty decent. The LO battle theme is the bees knees, I'll give you that. Great song.

Darkpen

Banned
StarEye said:
Yeah, okay, I guess I'm too old to feel nostalgic over something that happened only two years ago or something. I never liked it when it came out either. Then again, I never really liked the look of Final Fantasy XIII. I felt much better when I watched the VersusXIII trailer. And the latest one has excellent music, much much better than XIII.

Yeah, I like the idea. It kind reminds me of the MGS3 theme in terms of arrangement, but it's nowhere near as good as that. Using violins are a good idea too, but even that part seems simple. I don't know, the whole theme seems forced, imo.
That is not the impression I get at all. If anything, it reminds me of the ZoE 2 main theme, but less layer work.

If you like the song from the versus trailer, you must love Kingdom Hearts II D:

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Darkpen said:
That is not the impression I get at all. If anything, it reminds me of the ZoE 2 main theme, but less layer work.

If you like the song from the versus trailer, you must love Kingdom Hearts II D:

The more appropriate question would be who doesnt like KH II's music?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
donkey show said:
[]http://www.daviddino.com/ff7triple01.jpg[/IMG]

[]http://www.daviddino.com/ff7triple02.jpg[/IMG]

And for the family portrait...

[]http://www.daviddino.com/ff7triple03.jpg[/IMG]

The color is a lot nicer in person that I thought it would be. :D

I am extremely utterly jealous.
matte ps3 is sexy to the max.

Souther

Banned
Just recieved the CE from UPS...The case is pretty nice.

I noticed that the demo supports 1080p. Has anybody tried it in both 1080p and 720p and seen any difference. I usually just leave my settings @ 1080p as thats the native resolution of my tv.

Anyways...looking forward to watching and playing it later this evening. I kinda like to save these kinda things for the evening...dunno why.

Zoe

Souther said:
I noticed that the demo supports 1080p. Has anybody tried it in both 1080p and 720p and seen any difference. I usually just leave my settings @ 1080p as thats the native resolution of my tv.

I've been wondering about this. Would upscaling be the reason for some of the reports of slowdown?

I always play games in their native resolution though since my TV supports them all.

TheChillyAcademic said:
The font of the Latin in the trailer bugged the hell out of me, it was like some gaudy power point presentation. That being said, the trailer itself was fantastic.

I thought it fit perfectly. Very stylish. As far as I can tell, it is the same font that "Final Fantasy" is always written in.

Spoo

I'm sitting in school right now and don't really have anything better to do, so, this is just, like, my opinion of the demo:

Things that stand out (that are good):

For one, and I don't think this can be stated enough: FFXIII looks great. Visually, it's a real centerpiece for the system (and will likely be the same when played on the 360), and I think that other than the nitty gritty technical prowess on display, the art direction matches it quite well. I like the design of the area, despite its green-ish Matrix look; the character models are well-done, though (and this makes perfect sense but I'll say it anyway), the main characters look much more defined than the NPCs which litter the linear tracks.

Secondly, the battle system. I think the break system is good -- it's not the first time something like it has existed (XS introduced a similar system, and it worked just as well there). What makes FFXIII's battle system interesting, even in a demo that probably implemented 1/2 or 1/3 of the expected features, is the speed and visuals. For the first time, enemies look like they're actually getting hit by the attacks, and people are moving around on the screen in a way that is believable. The sense of timing thanks to being able to queue attacks (and have the danger of being hit during them, instead of meaninglessly taking turns, per say), is great. I like the direction here, and I'm sure the final system will look and play even better.

Unlike some, the linear path in the demo didn't at all phase me, but then, I prefer that.

Things that stand out (that are bad):

Despite the flawless delivery of detail, the engine here isn't running quite as flawlessly -- there's some chop, and despite the beauty, it is noticeable. Hopefully the final version will run a tad smoother.

The battle system, while great, could become clogged and difficult to manage when you have a lot more spells/moves to choose from. The gui will need to be tighter to manage, since time is of the essence. It seems they're already intending to do this.

The boss battle was dumb. I got stuck in a loop of sorts where I was constantly launched by the boss and just spent all of my time healing in the air while my other teammates chisiled away at the bosses health. This kind of thing shouldn't happen, and they really need to make sure it doesn't.

And that's it!

H_Prestige said:
I thought it fit perfectly. Very stylish. As far as I can tell, it is the same font that "Final Fantasy" is always written in.

The font that was used for the quotes, or "This is a fantasy based on/in reality" were fine. The Latin was just HUGE and flew across the screen like an 80's action movie.

Eh, opinions.

Spoo said:
The boss battle was dumb. I got stuck in a loop of sorts where I was constantly launched by the boss and just spent all of my time healing in the air while my other teammates chisiled away at the bosses health. This kind of thing shouldn't happen, and they really need to make sure it doesn't.

And that's it!

I'm almost certain this was a glitch of some sort. I've gone through the demo about 400,000 times and the launch fest happens nearly EVERY time.

Muffdraul

Spoo said:
The battle system, while great, could become clogged and difficult to manage when you have a lot more spells/moves to choose from. The gui will need to be tighter to manage, since time is of the essence. It seems they're already intending to do this.

That's the primary reason I think they really did completely get rid of Items, at least within the battle system. They designed the system to move constantly and move fast, so they don't want players scrolling up and down a huge Item menu that's 40-80 items long. Most seem to think "There are no items because it's a demo... they'll be there in the finished game." I don't think so. They've clearly designed the system to no longer need them (i.e. Cure spells now work on 0 HP KO'd characters).

Hobbun

Muffdraul said:
That's the primary reason I think they really did completely get rid of Items, at least within the battle system. They designed the system to move constantly and move fast, so they don't want players scrolling up and down a huge Item menu that's 40-80 items long. Most seem to think "There are no items because it's a demo... they'll be there in the finished game." I don't think so. They've clearly designed the system to no longer need them (i.e. Cure spells now work on 0 HP KO'd characters).

What? So it's easier now overall? Part of the challenge was having to use a different item (Phoenix Down) or cast a different spell, like Life when you died.

Well, I certainly hope you are wrong. I mean Final Fantasy without the option to use items is just wrong.

It would be just another traditional aspect they took away.

Top Bottom