• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT33| Hey Luke, What's the Theme for King's Fall? (Unmarked Spoilers)

The wait for reset is torture. I'm too tired to want to play games or do anything else, but if it's Spindle Day I can quickly wake myself up and be ready... Just need to wait 25 minutes to find out my fate...

We can do a quick run if you can rough it through the next 40 minutes. I've already done it twice <3

Gunsmith questions.
How does the weapon packages work?

I am rank 4 now with the gunsmith.

How many packages can I buy of him for coming Armsday?

if I buy all packages that I can for this armsday, can I pick the same amount of packages the coming week?

I want to find a perfect rolled sniper so if I have picked 1 sniper package, do I need to confirm the purchase the coming arms day or can I just leave it in my inventory for the next week and see if the roll on it will be different?

Also, pre-nerf Suros Regime is relevant to this weapon discussion again.

I vividly recall playing a sweaty skirmish game on Twilight Gap with Math sometime last year. We were losing and I was getting annoyed that I was basically the only one getting kills because Math was using a Hand Cannon. So I asked her "Why are you using a Hand Cannon when everyone else is using an Auto Rifle?" Her response was that she "didn't like Auto Rifles."

This didn't make sense to me. Auto Rifles were clearly better, so why would you use anything else and put yourself at a disadvantage?

For most of this year, Hand Cannons were in Auto Rifles place. Why would you use anything but Thorn or The Last Word? You'd just get killed by those guns in an instant. That wasn't fun for people who didn't want to use those guns and it wasn't even fun for people who did.

Fast forward to today, where she said that she felt like there's no reason to use Hand Cannons anymore.

And that's because all of these weapons take the same amount of skill and same limitations, yet are different on an archetypal level. And that means that every time an archetype is changed, the next best archetype will become the meta by default regardless of the skill of the players.

This is not how Destiny's sandbox should work.

If Pulse Rifles were the most difficult weapon to use in the game right now, I wouldn't give two shits about what they were able to do. Their potential would be proportionate to the skill required to use them, and therefore they would be balanced. Currently however, just as Hand Cannons and Autos were before, the rewards are disproportionate to the skill required to earn them. Any Average Joe can excel with the best gun, so there is no reason to willingly and knowingly disadvantage yourself by using a lesser weapon.

Gunsmith questions.

if I buy all packages that I can for this armsday, can I pick the same amount of packages the coming week?

Each rank you can buy an extra package/order. Dunno the limit.

At rank 4, you should be able to get 4? I think?

Yes, you can. Depending on your rank, you get up to 3 or 4 choices per weapon package. At rank 2 you get 2 chioces, rank 3 you get 3 chioces, I dunno after that though.

Bogeypop

We can do a quick run if you can rough it through the next 40 minutes.
I've already done it twice <3

And I've done it over 50 times being a Spindle Sherpa and all.
9cCr7ZA.jpg
I meant I have to wait and see if Lost to Light is the Daily Story Mission today so I can continue helping other people get their Black Spindles.

GutZ31

Gunsmith questions.

Depending on your level, the more packages you can take from banshees store.
After rank 3, you get 3 choices on each package, 3 rolls of the weapon packages you picked come arms day.
No matter if your rank 3, or 103 with banshee, you will only get 3 choices for the gear you picked.

But to your question, you will be able to grab 4 packages at level 4.<FALSE>

EDIT: 3 packages no matter your level.
At higher levels than 3, you can only grab 3 packages. Thank you for correction.

After rank 3, you get 3 choices on each package, 3 rolls of the weapon packages you picked come arms day.
No matter if your rank 3, or 103 with banshee, you will only get 3 choices for the gear you picked.

But to your question, you will be able to grab 4 packages at level 4.

OK thanks.

So do i need to pick a weapon from the packaged I currently have in my inventory? or can I leave it for the week after to see if the rolls are different? Maybe I am not just happy about the rolls he brings next week.

Nighte

i don't know what the point of raid loot is this time around. i can't say i've gotten anything from the raid worth keeping. i haven't infused the sniper yet because its scope is cool, but that's about it.

The machine gun is pretty nice imo. My first drop and only one im using

GutZ31

OK thanks.

So do i need to pick a weapon from the packaged I currently have in my inventory? or can I leave it for the week after to see if the rolls are different? Maybe I am not just happy about the rolls he brings next week.
Never tried keeping a package for long enough to see if it gets new rolls.
The rolls are usually pretty polarized from each other, but some guns are just garbage no matter what kind of roll you get with them.
(hakke sniper had super shitty rolls, dismantled)
I will leave the decision to withhold your package at your discretion.

i don't know what the point of raid loot is this time around. i can't say i've gotten anything from the raid worth keeping. i haven't infused the sniper yet because its scope is cool, but that's about it.

So far, all my Raid weapons (Shotgun, AR an Sniper) have been Infusion fuel. They all pale in comparison to better Vendor Weapons. From what I have seen, the Machine Gun is the only Raid weapon worth a damn. Maybe during hard raid/challenge mode, the Bonus Taken damage will make them must haves.

Only gotten 2 pieces of armor so far, Boots 2x :(

300 is so close, yet so far away, just need different armor drops. Please Bungie.

Gordon

That's all predicated on the concept that the MM should focus around one gun trumping another which trumps another etc. The menu system isn't exactly friendly when it comes to swapping loadouts mid-match, so a lot of the time (at least on 360) you're more or less stuck with what you had equipped coming in. Primarily for that reason, I kinda like the way one gun will generally perform well on any given map. It sucks if you don't have the top-tier gun available to you, but between vendors and armsday it's getting pretty hard to be really solidly screwed as far as that goes, at least for very long. And it's nice to be able to have a favourite gun and use it every match and not eat shit every time a particular archetype of maps comes up. Plays to that building your character and having a character identity thing.

Gunsmith questions.

I want to find a perfect rolled sniper so if I have picked 1 sniper package, do I need to confirm the purchase the coming arms day or can I just leave it in my inventory for the next week and see if the roll on it will be different?
You get max 3 per week per character, and each one will have max 3 rolls to choose from. You can keep buying 3 per week per character every week provided you have the glimmer and the patience lol

So far, all my Raid weapons (Shotgun, AR an Sniper) have been Infusion fuel. They all pale in comparison to better Vendor Weapons. From what I have seen, the Machine Gun is the only Raid weapon worth a damn. Maybe during hard raid/challenge mode, the Bonus Taken damage will make them must haves.

Only gotten 2 pieces of armor so far, Boots 2x :(

300 is so close, yet so far away, just need different armor drops. Please Bungie.

I would say the raid pulse rifle is also pretty solid. Probably my most used weapon nowadays, aside from Hung Jury. Got mine with Firefly, but I would love one with Life Support.
The Machine Gun refuses to drop for me, I'm swimming in 300 Hand Cannons though T_T

Gordon

But to your question, you will be able to grab 4 packages at level 4.
4 packages? I'd better head to tower and check this out...
Edit: mine says max orders placed - 3 orders placed and I've been rank 4 since last week.

Acidote

I would say the raid pulse rifle is also pretty solid. Probably my most used weapon nowadays, aside from Hung Jury. Got mine with Firefly, but I would love one with Life Support.
The Machine Gun refuses to drop for me, I'm swimming in 300 Hand Cannons though T_T

The raid pulse is my main gun nowadays. Rolled 307. Need 310!

That's all predicated on the concept that the MM should focus around one gun trumping another which trumps another etc. The menu system isn't exactly friendly when it comes to swapping loadouts mid-match, so a lot of the time (at least on 360) you're more or less stuck with what you had equipped coming in. Primarily for that reason, I kinda like the way one gun will generally perform well on any given map. It sucks if you don't have the top-tier gun available to you, but between vendors and armsday it's getting pretty hard to be really solidly screwed as far as that goes, at least for very long. And it's nice to be able to have a favourite gun and use it every match and not eat shit every time a particular archetype of maps comes up. Plays to that building your character and having a character identity thing.

Well there shouldn't be "archetypes of maps" either. It's why I'm not exactly fond of the range nerfs.

A well designed map wouldn't decide for the player which weapon they're supposed to use.

You get max 3 per week per character, and each one will have max 3 rolls to choose from. You can keep buying 3 per week per character every week provided you have the glimmer and the patience lol
ok cool

I got that Eirene RR4 with Luck in the chamber. One hit sniper with some luck :)

But need something more reliable.

My 1000 Yard stare is quite nice with Guerilla fighter, Smallbore, unflinching,

Bogeypop

For a second there I thought it was Lost to Light when it was taking about Crota's Soul. Turns out we're doing the original mission. The Wakening.
4lU6ax7.png

Zoidberg

Go check gunsmith, offering a new quest for me. The Sleeper stirs - mentions the core.

Anyone want to group up for this new quest?

Hopefully we are able to turn in the core to the gunsmith today and get this new sleeper quest....if you had to do all of it yesterday I'll be kinda pissed.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I don't expect everyone to agree, but I anticipate Trials and Iron Banner to very quickly show which weapons are superior to the others, and why blanket nerfs are not the way to go about adjusting the sandbox. When it comes to Destiny's meta, whether it's PvE or PvP, it will never be balanced so long as DPS is what decides encounters.

I could see how some people might disagree with the Auto vs Pulse example but it's something I highlighted throughout the post. If A is easier to use than B, why would you use B? Conversly, if B is better than A and just as easy to use, why would you use A?

It needs to be skill based because skill itself is the best equalizer.
Agreed

Top Bottom