• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT33| Hey Luke, What's the Theme for King's Fall? (Unmarked Spoilers)

Raybunny

Actually I'll go ahead and post about what me, Zocano, Unstable and Drizzay were discussing while it's fresh on my mind.

I think Crucible as a whole has a major problem that has never been properly addressed.

I will start by saying that I never played Halo not its multiplayer. My first console was a Nintendo NES and then a PS4. Destiny being my 1st FPS console game makes me a quite newbie on this controller user FPS player genre. Now that's out of the way I did played a lot of FPS on PC to understand some multiplayer balancing and mechanics.

Maybe cause of its roots there is a lack of certain fps "mechanics". Suppression fire, baiting, tactical movement. Without them what is left is guardian unicity, movement/quickness/reaction and personal advantage.

These last 3/5 "mechanics" make for a very fast paced experience and are tied to your class (what you make out of it) and the weapons you are using.

Now starts the real "deal". Class is similar to everyone, what you make out of it is something different from the others but weapons wise is something I am still trying to understand. Bungie showed me that their balancing is something they are trying to figure out.

Lets not really fix properly the items cause everyone migrates to the best viable option. At first was HC + shotty or HC + shipper and heavy. Then came the pilgrim, ppl started migrating to it cause it was the business. What happened after was a total craziness. 2.0 came in. Bad juju got dusted off and red death prevailed over every/anything - still is. The concept of seasonal weapons do not click with longevity.

If they want us to have a unique or particular loadout make sure each weapon got its function and work with each gameplay.

I am a close combat player sure HC/ Shotty might be the best option but seems its not.
Knowing that pulse and autos overthrown any HC aside the Hunter specific one seems that Pulse / Shotty or Fusion is the way to go. I adapt quite quickly but pulse / scout is not for me. And I hate being caged on my selection cause of it.

I wonder what is their view for pvp. Do we need to adapt every 3 months to its seasonal loadout, do we need to completely learn a new gameplay each time, do we need to figure out what the hell is going on with their balancing and follow the herd of players.

After all this I should not be questioning myself this much for a mode on a game.
If its the way pvp will go ...

Gordon

Well there shouldn't be "archetypes of maps" either, but that's another problem that's never going to change.

A well designed map wouldn't decide for the player which weapon they're supposed to use.
Well I mean there's no way around having maps of different sizes, unless you just want all the maps to be the same size. As long as there's variation there's going to be some sort of categorization that can occur. Some maps will favour longer range encounters, and others short. If they tried to make every map balanced between the two players would just pick the easier encounter to control and focus on that, avoiding one area on every map like a bad spawn in control. As it stands there's a reasonable amount of variety in maps, and a reasonable chunk of the sandbox is playable on them, forcing players to engage in a variety of circumstances but letting them do so with whatever they have equipped. I mean PRs might be top dog, but that doesn't mean in a normal crucible game you're going to go 0-15 every time if you have an AR or a HC equipped. I think the direction Bungie seems to be leaning is a sort of whitewashed balance where all of the guns are basically the same, giving the player aesthetic control over their character. At least that seems to be the direction they're heading. And I can't say I can fault them for it - guns are guns - they all do the same thing. Frankly the level of variation we have now is pretty unrealistic. I know it's video games in general, not just Destiny, but shotguns feel stupid.

Nuszka

Will be able to play in about 12 hours from now, this game is starting to seriously affect my private life. Will be in work watching everyone getting the Stimulant or being disappointed that there is another step to it.

Thanks. Guess I should give it a go.

Yeah hop on to a forming Gaf group when there are some experienced teachers around. Just make sure to say you haven't played it before but want to learn. The higher level you are the better but as long as the majority of the team is near 300, you'll be fine.

Bring your best sniper rifle especially. Shotguns and Fusion rifles are useless in the raid.

Acidote

Will be able to play in about 12 hours from now, this game is starting to seriously affect my private life. Will be in work watching everyone getting the Stimulant or being disappointed that there is another step to it.

I'm sure there will be more steps. I kind of want it to have more steps.

GorillaJu

Yeah hop on to a forming Gaf group when there are some experienced teachers around. Just make sure to say you haven't played it before but want to learn. The higher level you are the better but as long as the majority of the team is near 300, you'll be fine.

Bring your best sniper rifle especially. Shotguns and Fusion rifles are useless in the raid.

Thanks. I use sniper/scout so I should be ok.

Omg just did my first heroic of the week i died at the end and the two dudes tried melee the adds after varicks dies and two legendary engrams stayed on the floor.I respawn ran and was two steps away from the engrams when it put us in orbit sigh it sucks we have to loot them before the timer ends.

Sigh can join anyone for the sleeper mission?

Zocano

CQyNveJVAAAamUu.jpg:large

Sleep Time

KxoZz

Ran out of time yesterday do I still need 1 more Warsat. Am I fucked? Or can I finish yesterdays quest and start the new one?

Well I mean there's no way around having maps of different sizes, unless you just want all the maps to be the same size. As long as there's variation there's going to be some sort of categorization that can occur. Some maps will favour longer range encounters, and others short. If they tried to make every map balanced between the two players would just pick the easier encounter to control and focus on that, avoiding one area on every map like a bad spawn in control. As it stands there's a reasonable amount of variety in maps, and a reasonable chunk of the sandbox is playable on them, forcing players to engage in a variety of circumstances but letting them do so with whatever they have equipped. I mean PRs might be top dog, but that doesn't mean in a normal crucible game you're going to go 0-15 every time if you have an AR or a HC equipped. I think the direction Bungie seems to be leaning is a sort of whitewashed balance where all of the guns are basically the same, giving the player aesthetic control over their character. At least that seems to be the direction they're heading. And I can't say I can fault them for it - guns are guns - they all do the same thing. Frankly the level of variation we have now is pretty unrealistic. I know it's video games in general, not just Destiny, but shotguns feel stupid.

That's why skill should be the deciding factor - not archetypal niches (range) and not realism. Realistically, Shotgun bullets do not disappear, but if they went as far as they do in real life it wouldn't make for a very fun game with people one-shotting each other across the map.

When you're balancing the game around skill, you look at what a weapon is able to do and make it so the more powerful it is, the more difficult it is to use. You accomplish that with recoil, aim assist, and positioning deterrents like reload speed and rate of fire.

Within those archetypes, you can add variation. If there's a sniper rifle with high aim assist, you give it less rounds, less stability and a slower reload. If there's one with lower aim assist, you give it more rounds, more stability and a faster reload. The player is then encouraged to get better with the weapon. Genuine character builds are created when the player grows with guns that they can see direct results with. And maybe Bungie could enhance that further by rewarding skilled play with stat bonuses (maintain a consistent K/D with this weapon for X time/games and you gain a boost to its stats). This would truly create a Crucible experience where the moment to moment gunplay means something.

And then on the flip side of that, you'll have supers, where skill is largely irrelevant. They're trump cards. Supers are fun, they're cool and they should be fair to fight against, but they're inherently designed to level the playing field and they do that just fine. I see no reason for Bungie to design maps that limit player movement and weapons that do not reward their skill on top of that

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Pulled through with randoms. If you do matchmaking just focus on adds at the boss. Especially the sniper shanks. You've probably done this before though.

Edit: That's it? The quest line ended up being mostly RNG and waiting? Well, at least it's here now...

Ran out of time yesterday do I still need 1 more Warsat. Am I fucked? Or can I finish yesterdays quest and start the new one?

Reports on reddit say you can finish the Warsat part but when you hand in the core to the Gunsmith the new quest doesn't show up. You might have to wait until tomorrow for the new quest to pop up.

Top Bottom