• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
a radial-like menu would be cool, and could also speed things up (eg. move stick up for attack, down for item etc)

FFChris

Darkpen said:
I simply found myself paying attention to the life bars, and just initiating as much damage as I would need to deal out, rather than just spamming Attack for all 3 notches, or whatever.

I'm glad someone is doing this. Every video I've seen has people lining up 3 attacks regardless of how much HP the enemy has left.

Defuser said:
VersusXIII = Spiritual successor of FFVIII.
Has anyone at SE actually claimed this, or is this still merely fan conjecture? Because if it's the former, hype -1000.

FFChris said:
I'm glad someone is doing this. Every video I've seen has people lining up 3 attacks regardless of how much HP the enemy has left.
While it would be nice if players did actually pay attention to what they were doing instead of mindlessly choosing commands, I'm also sure that as people learn to cancel combos, everything will seem better. I'd also like to see them implement something that would, with maybe a couple trigger presses, allow the player to transition the remainder of their queued combo from the currently defeated target to a new one.

StuBurns

Banned
flabberghastly said:
Has anyone at SE actually claimed this, or is this still merely fan conjecture? Because if it's the former, hype -1000.
The scenario writer was credited in a trailer, I don't speak Japanese, but I assume it's Nojima.

stuburns said:
The scenario writer was credited in a trailer, I don't speak Japanese, but I assume it's Nojima.
Actually, I just rewatched the credits of the trailer and it has this:

Scenario Writer
Kazushige Nojima
Final Fantasy VII, VIII, X, X-2 / Compilation of Final Fantasy VII
Kingdom Hearts / Kingdom Hearts 2

Unless, of course, you're referring to something else.

StuBurns

Banned
flabberghastly said:
Actually, I just rewatched the credits of the trailer and it has this:

Scenario Writer
Kazuhige Nojima
Final Fantasy VII, VIII, X, X-2 / Compilation of Final Fantasy VII
Kingdom Hearts / Kingdom Hearts 2

Unless, of course, you're referring to something else.
So? How was I wrong?

stuburns said:
So? How was I wrong?
It's not that I'm claiming you're wrong, per se. My point was merely that it doesn't establish FFvXIII as the spiritual successor to FFVIII (to which I originally responded), but merely identifies the writer as the writer of a number of SE's games, one of which included FFVIII (something I already knew).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
well, at least I know exactly what to expect going in to Versus.

do we know who's writing XIII?

StuBurns

Banned
flabberghastly said:
It's not that I'm claiming you're wrong, per se. My point was merely that it doesn't establish FFvXIII as the spiritual successor to FFVIII (to which I originally responded), but merely identifies the writer as the writer of a number of SE's games, one of which included FFVIII (something I already knew).
Oh right, I got really confused then.

I don't think it's the spiritual successor to it at all myself. Outside of a more grounded game I see no relation. If anything Agito is, it's in a magic school.

Rez said:
well, at least I know exactly what to expect going in to Versus.

do we know who's writing XIII?
Toriyama, I think. But considering I didn't know the writer for FFvXIII, I wouldn't necessarily trust this information.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'd imagine the whole love story angle that Versus seems to be centered on is what gives people that impression.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Why is it that whenever a female is the protagonist in a FF game, they make it so that you barely play as her and act like there's no true protagonist despite the plot revolving around them? Ex: Terra, Ashe, etc.

It fucking sucks.

zoukka

TheCardPlayer said:
Why is it that whenever a female is the protagonist in a FF game, they make it so that you barely play as her and act like there's no true protagonist despite the plot revolving around them? Ex: Terra, Ashe, etc.

It fucking sucks.

Boys are the majority of gamers. They like MANLY action.

And the HP of the characters fills up after fights? Damn.

Synless

zoukka said:
Boys are the majority of gamers. They like MANLY action.

And the HP of the characters fills up after fights? Damn.
I hate this. The only way I think that it will be worth while is if the fights are so fucking hard that your thanking God that your life fills up after the fight. This won't be the case but.....it should be with handicap like that.

zoukka

Synless said:
I hate this. The only way I think that it will be worth while is if the fights are so fucking hard that your thanking God that your life fills up after the fight. This won't be the case but.....it should be with handicap like that.

Yeah I'm not seeing any tough dungeons ahead because of this :(

Phatcorns said:
I would consider versus a Kingdom Hearts spin off more than anything else. I guarantee it's going to be very similar.

In terms of what? Gameplay? The swordplay will be similar on some level, Nomura has already said that. But that seems like it will be where the similarities end.

StuBurns

Banned
Phatcorns said:
I would consider versus a Kingdom Hearts spin off more than anything else. I guarantee it's going to be very similar.
I'm thinking a lot more Final Fantasy myself, just with some brand of action-RPG. I guess it depends on what you'd associate with Kingdom Hearts though.

FFVersusXIII to me is what a 'next-gen' Final Fantasy should be, it's almost like it is the real FFXIII but Square are too scared to put their ass on the line with anything radical so they want to make the next 7,8,10 style traditional one to appease the fan base.

zoukka

stuburns said:
I'm thinking a lot more Final Fantasy myself, just with some brand of action-RPG. I guess it depends on what you'd associate with Kingdom Hearts though.

FFVersusXIII to me is what a 'next-gen' Final Fantasy should be, it's almost like it is the real FFXIII but Square are too scared to put their ass on the line with anything radical so they want to make the next 7,8,10 style traditional one to appease the fan base.

The setting makes it "next gen"? It could've been done in any generation really.

Final Fantasy has always been about swords, dragons, magic and medieval/sci-fi. Why should it become Final Reality? That's what the spinoffs are for.

Has it been confirmed that auto-healing characters are in the full game?

It makes perfect sense for them to do this during the demo.. there's no field menu and no items... how else are your characters going to heal if you don't waste turns doing it in battle before you finish off the last enemy?

StuBurns

Banned
zoukka said:
The setting makes it "next gen"? It could've been done in any generation really.

Final Fantasy has always been about swords, dragons, magic and medieval/sci-fi. Why should it become Final Reality? That's what the spinoffs are for.

I just tried to articulate it for about five minutes, and I can't. Basically FFXIII is exactly the same game design we've seen last gen, just super pretty. But to be fair, I don't know Versus isn't. At least it has the potential not to be.

My idea of what a new generation should bring is quite possibly different to yours I gather.

zoukka

stuburns said:
I just tried to articulate it for about five minutes, and I can't. Basically FFXIII is exactly the same game design we've seen last gen, just super pretty. But to be fair, I don't know Versus isn't. At least it has the potential not to be.

My idea of what a new generation should bring is quite possibly different to yours I gather.

New gen should create something the previous couldn't. That's my dream at least. But in games like JRPG's the increased horsepower isn't really all that important. Other than improving on the audiovisual presentation of course.

My biggest hope for this series is not to stick with the AC-vibes for too long. That's why Versus doesn't interest me at all and some parts of XIII as well. I'm really glad they made a spinoff that has a realistic setting instead of changing the fundamentals of Final Fantasy.

StuBurns

Banned
zoukka said:
New gen should create something the previous couldn't. That's my dream at least. But in games like JRPG's the increased horsepower isn't really all that important. Other than improving on the audiovisual presentation of course.
This is how I see it too. Maybe FFXIII will pull a fast one and shock me, but I think it's going to be very very traditional. And that's okay. I'll go for a stunning looking FFVII, that's cool. But it doesn't feel like a next-gen leap to me. This could be because of how I see Final Fantasy, and JRPGs in general. For me it's always about entering this parallel world, being caught up in that stuff. Not about the 'Command-RPG' gameplay which I've always enjoyed but has certainly never been a focus for me. So for me a next gen Final Fantasy is taking me to a new world, with that same incredible level of detail and presentation bumped up to next gen standards and a big rethinking of the basic combat.

I'm sure more people aren't getting the same out of Final Fantasy games as I am, so for them, maybe FFXIII is their dream next-gen Final Fantasy.
zoukka said:
My biggest hope for this series is not to stick with the AC-vibes for too long. That's why Versus doesn't interest me at all and some parts of XIII as well. I'm really glad they made a spinoff that has a realistic setting instead of changing the fundamentals of Final Fantasy.
I'm not blown away by the direction they're going with FFXIII, it's fine, but I think FFVersusXIII is a lot more of a natural progression. I know as I get older I want something more grounded, and maybe a little bit more decadent.

I'm not sure the idea of generational leaps is something intrinsic to Final Fantasy's progression. Looking back at the series, the only two leaps I see that could be attributed to this sort of thinking are FFIV and FFXI. Final Fantasy, like most series, is very conservative.

flabberghastly said:
I'm not sure the idea of generational leaps is something intrinsic to Final Fantasy's progression. Looking back at the series, the only two leaps I see that could be attributed to this sort of thinking are FFIV and FFXI. Final Fantasy, like most series, is very conservative.

why FFIV, just out of curiousity?

StuBurns

Banned
flabberghastly said:
This is true, in terms of design. Well, actually I'd say FFX was a step backwards in design to compensate for the presentation leap.

I should have been more specific. My opinion was based on what I've come to expect from games this generation specifically. I don't think every generation has brought the same types of differences.

Durante

flabberghastly said:
Final Fantasy, like most series, is very conservative.
I take issue with this statement. Final Fantasy is the most un-conservative JRPG series I can think of. The only comparably strong change as between some of the FF games that comes to my mind is BoF 4 -> 5 (which sadly seems to have killed that series even though it was amazing).

zoukka

Well many long lasting genres fell short in this generation for me really, so I'm not too shocked if Final Fantasy doesn't blow my socks off either. And I'm really afraid that the more and more better visuals demand something off from the size of the world. I'm still not sure about the battlesystem. If it offers me enough options to doodle with, then I'm happy.

I know as I get older I want something more grounded, and maybe a little bit more decadent.

I'm the same man. But I'm afraid the story and all won't be too "mature" just because the setting is. The main character visualizes my fears perfectly. It's an Advent Children dude in a tux.

antiloop

TheCardPlayer said:

It fucking sucks.

Yes, it does...

StuBurns

Banned
zoukka said:
I'm the same man. But I'm afraid the story and all won't be too "mature" just because the setting is. The main character visualizes my fears perfectly. It's an Advent Children dude in a tux.
The character designs I'm kind of letting off the hook because it's what all Nomura's characters look like. And you could certainly be right about the story, it could literally be my worst nightmare. Tortured gifted young moody prince meets beautiful girl who fancies him, but he's too obtuse to realize it till she dies in his arms, the victim of his own father's weapon... or some such crap

But I have a lot of hope. FFXIII less so.

TheJollyCorner said:
why FFIV, just out of curiousity?
In every way it feels superior to the trio that preceded it, particularly the emphasis on story, character, and maturity (even if it all seems inadequate today -- which is a good thing!). And it introduced the ATB system that's still being used in FFXIII.

Durante said:
I take issue with this statement. Final Fantasy is the most un-conservative JRPG series I can think of.
That says more about the genre than it does about Final Fantasy.

why does everything have to be so "mature"? Damn... some of you sound like me when I was an angsty 16 year old.

There is so much obnoxious maturity in my life now that I'm older that crazy, fantastical, ham-fisted fluff (coated over by amazing art direction, bizarre character designs, and off-the-wall plot elements) is exactly what I need for a couple hours a day to take the edge off. The most important thing that the FF games retain, in my opinion, is heart. I just feel good from start to finish. Even my least favorite FF's, like FFIX, still give me that feeling. I wouldn't replace that for deep, brooding 'maturity' any day of the week. FFXII tried that... and it lacked the heart and soul that makes FF what it is to me.

TheJollyCorner said:
why does everything have to be so "mature"? Damn... some of you sound like me when I was an angsty 16 year old.

There is so much obnoxious maturity in my life now that I'm older that crazy, fantastical, ham-fisted fluff (coated over by amazing art direction, bizarre character designs, and off-the-wall plot elements) is exactly what I need for a couple hours a day to take the edge off. The most important thing that the FF games retain, in my opinion, is heart. I just feel good from start to finish. Even my least favorite FF's, like FFIX, still give me that feeling. I wouldn't replace that for deep, brooding 'maturity' any day of the week. FFXII tried that... and it lacked the heart and soul that makes FF what it is to me.
I think you've somewhat simplified the meaning of maturity. One can maturely tell even a children's story -- e.g., Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

StuBurns

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:

Maybe you find it easy to be lost in some insane world with dinosaurs, I personally find it a little harder. But people in suits in a city that looks like Tokyo and areas that look like Italy, yeah, that's fine for me. To each their own.

flabberghastly said:
I think you've somewhat simplified the meaning of maturity. One can maturely tell even a children's story -- e.g., Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

so FF needs to be written by a pederast with an LSD problem to be mature?

I'm not completely serious, BTW :D

zoukka

TheJollyCorner said:

You are correct. I love the more naive stuff from the older games, but I don't know if I could touch 'em if they had mocap cutscenes and voice acting. I don't want Final Fantasies to be "mature" literally. But if they create almost realistic character models with realistic movement and add voice acting, the same shit from the mute days just doesn't work anymore. It becomes uncomfortable for the player.

FFXII lacked heart for sure, but it sure as hell wasn't mature either. It was just boring.

inner-G

Banned
I don't get it. Maybe I just don't see what y'all do in Versus, but presonally, I'm 100X more hyped for the real Final Fantasy.

Italian suits... not so much.

I remember Nomura said for Versus he wanted to "finish what was left undone in FFVII", whatever that means.

The dark mafioso setting certainly gives off more of a FFVII Midgar vibe to me than the beginning portion of FFXIII, although that game certainly also has some obvious parallels to FFVII's story.

Hobbun

Q: What type of battle elements come with the Demo Version Battle System?

A: FF13's battle concept is "command battle," it is something like a fusion between strategy battle and action battle. One is able to experience exhilarating and flashy actions via command inputs. The Demo held nothing but a portion of the basis (of the full version), so as far as the strategy part goes, you'll have to wait for the full version.

Q: What do you mean by Strategy Battle?

A: If you play the Demo, you are able to stock multiple commands and even mix and match them. That is one part of what I mean. In addition to this, the characters outside of the one you control may be AI controlled, but your connection to those AI characters and how well they are able to perform is another form of the "Strategy Battle". Even in the Demo, your allies will still follow up attacks on a launched enemy, but in the full version that is something that can be done more intentionally.

Q: For example, if you have a party of Lightning, Snow, and Vanilla, you would be able to switch the character you controlled?

A: Yes, that's right.
The story will proceed with a max of 3 people in a party, but we plan to let you freely use (each member) as you please.

Q: About how much of the final battle system made it into the Demo version?

A: Around 30%.

It could be considered the evolved form of the ATB system. We've merely taken the time to show you a portion of the pace of battle (that you can expect in the full version). At this extent (of the battle system?) you can't use summons so they weren't included (in the Demo), but because the full version will introduce many different elements (that weren't present in the Demo), even if you are playing the same location (as in the Demo) your impression of the game will certainly be different.

Q: The "Evolved" ATB Battle System, where you can attack even if your gauge is not full as long as you have enough gauge to use your attack, is truly ground-breaking isn't it?

A: For those who want to play a very fast paced battle, they can just use commands as soon as the 1st gauge fills up. For those who want slightly stronger attacks, they can wait until the gauge is full and use attacks such as Firaga. In this way, playing styles can be completely different. We plan to have the Time gauge be able to grow in size such that the number of commands you can enter grows as well. With that you can (expect to see) skills which consume even more of the gauge. By the way, in the full version, we plan to arrange the commands into an even more user friendly menu (than was found in the Demo). We want to make it so that even with a large number of commands, it never becomes a hassle to use commands.

Fuck, that's what I was afraid of. I don't want to be able to 'switch' party members in the heat of battle. I have enough to think about with this super fast, hectic battle system than "I should switch to Snow/Sazgh (sp?) to have him attack". I just want it to jump to them automatically, like it used to in the older ATB systems. It's just like FF XII again in that regards.

The other thing, I just wish there was no option for AI, period. I mean I guess what I should say is AI is an understandable option for this combat as it is so damn fast and I think it will be difficult to manually input everyone's commands (again, like in XII). So the AI does make sense because it makes it easier to manage. But what I really want is the battle to be designed to where AI isn't needed to make it easier. Slow the damn thing down.

What I would give for FF X's combat system, again. *sigh*

StuBurns

Banned
I think AI unless you WANT to switch would be amazing.

Lets say it's Lightening, Snow and Vanilla in your team, if before the battle you can set in the menu some very basic commands like Vanilla (Offensive - Black Magics), Snow (Defensive - White Magic), Lightening (Offensive - Physical Attacks). And unless you're controlling a specific character they just do whatever they want loosely around you prior command.

inner-G

Banned
stuburns said:
I think AI unless you WANT to switch would be amazing.

But there should be an option to decide every action for everybody imo. Look at how much more well-recieved Persona 4's battle system was to Persona 3 after they made the AI party bullshit optional.

Top Bottom