• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buy/Sell/Trade Thread 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I even found that post by him where he hightailed it out.
So here's my situation with him. I sent $30 for FIFA 14 for Xbox One to him. I did not use gift. He came back and said that he needed the money that wasn't included "for shipping" because I sent it as a regular payment. I told him I'd send enough to cover the fees, also not as a gift. Then he told me he didn't have the cash to ship it so he needed the funds. I told him I'd be willing to wait until the funds cleared. He told me it shipped on the 4th of July weekend and I'd get it "in a week or two." Last week I told him that if I didn't receive it by the weekend I would file a claim to which he replied "no you won't." He told me it'd be here by the middle of this week. It wasn't here today obviously and I was going to let him know I would be filing a dispute... but seeing he's banned and reading the feedback here I sent it in as a claim.

Not really trying to screw any of the sellers over, but those MK8 free game codes expire July 31st. Just a warning for those still buying.

I think I remember reading the deal expires by then, but the codes for the games themselves are still valid until the end of august, I might need to look that up again though.

Istaerion

So here's my situation with him. I sent $30 for FIFA 14 for Xbox One to him. I did not use gift. He came back and said that he needed the money that wasn't included "for shipping" because I sent it as a regular payment. I told him I'd send enough to cover the fees, also not as a gift. Then he told me he didn't have the cash to ship it so he needed the funds. I told him I'd be willing to wait until the funds cleared. He told me it shipped on the 4th of July weekend and I'd get it "in a week or two." Last week I told him that if I didn't receive it by the weekend I would file a claim to which he replied "no you won't." He told me it'd be here by the middle of this week. It wasn't here today obviously and I was going to let him know I would be filing a dispute... but seeing he's banned and reading the feedback here I sent it in as a claim.

Did he ever provide you a tracking number? Even the most basic of services by USPS provides one nowadays, so it's unlikely he didn't have one unless he used some other carrier.

Considering his overall attitude though and the delay, I wouldn't be surprised if he was just trying to pull a fast one on you and having time elapse to the point where you can no longer file a claim though PayPal.

Arthos

That's why the whole Paypal gift thing is a risky thing. Hell, sometimes sending a regular payment can be risky. That's what happens when dealing with people on the internet. It seriously freaking sucks sometimes. That's unfortunate that the guy managed to do that. :l

Did the guy have any feedback? And if you send a payment and haven't received the item after a week and a half - MAX - I'd be worried. Things happen, of course, but that's what communication is for.

Hip Hop

That's why the whole Paypal gift thing is a risky thing. Hell, sometimes sending a regular payment can be risky. That's what happens when dealing with people on the internet. It seriously freaking sucks sometimes. That's unfortunate that the guy managed to do that. :l

Did the guy have any feedback? And if you send a payment and haven't received the item after a week and a half - MAX - I'd be worried. Things happen, of course, but that's what communication is for.

That's why it is always important to see the feedback list, that's what its for. I'd be weary to buy a high priced item off a person that has no feedback. If anything, I'd arrange for him to ship out first (with shipping paid for) and I'll send the rest of the payment after I receive it. I asked this for a person that had no feedback and very little posts left in other threads. He didn't agree to it, and I was fine with that. Better to miss a sale than having my money taken by a scam. Not saying the person was going to scam me, but it's better to drop it than make it into a situation. I could have come out as a scammer too, so it's best to pick your deals wisely.

eosos

Banned
Alright so I'm in the process of getting a WiiU after missing out on the Wii. So I'm mainly looking to trade some of the following games for Wii/WiiU games that I never got a chance to play. But I'm still open to selling the games too. With that in mind...

WTS / Trade

3DS
Super Street Fighter 4 -- $15

PS4
Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag -- $35
Killzone: Shadow Fall -- $35
Watch_Dogs -- $40

Xbox 360
Dishonored -- $15
Saints Row 3 -- $15
Call of Duty: MW3 --$10
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City -- $15
RockBand 2(Just the game) -- $10
Fifa Soccer 12(Case is kinda screwed up, but the game is fine) -- $7
Red Dead Redemption -- $10
Halo 4 -- $20
Farcry 3 -- $15
Halo Reach -- $15
Bioshock Infinite -- $20

WTB / Trade for

Pretty much any classic wii / wii u game. Here are a few that stand out, but I'm probably missing some.

Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Xenoblade
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Animal Crossing: City Folk
No More Heroes 2
Super Mario 3D World

Also need a wii remote and nunchuck combo, preferably with motion plus.

I have pictures of all the games I'm selling on request.

PM me and thanks for looking!

Reposting this. How does everyone ship games out? Fedex was kind of expensive.

Istaerion

Reposting this. How does everyone ship games out? Fedex was kind of expensive.

Best methods are either USPS First Class or USPS Priority (Default or Flat Rate). You might be able to get away with Media Mail, but there's a bit of uncertainty there that I wouldn't recommend risking.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Did he ever provide you a tracking number? Even the most basic of services by USPS provides one nowadays, so it's unlikely he didn't have one unless he used some other carrier.

Considering his overall attitude though and the delay, I wouldn't be surprised if he was just trying to pull a fast one on you and having time elapse to the point where you can no longer file a claim though PayPal.
Oh hell no. I asked for it repeatedly but he did not provide it. This is what started the alarm bells ringing.

How much does MK8 digital go for around here? I'm wanting to buy it for my WiiU purchase...Will purchasing it digitally allow one to get access to the free game deal?

Arthos

How much does MK8 digital go for around here? I'm wanting to buy it for my WiiU purchase...Will purchasing it digitally allow one to get access to the free game deal?

Yeah. Also, make sure you sign up for the digital deluxe program! That's about $10 back if you go the digital route+free game.

Istaerion

Oh hell no. I asked for it repeatedly but he did not provide it. This is what started the alarm bells ringing.

Oh yeah, that's definitely suspicious! I wouldn't have even given him the time of day after the first issue if he downright refused to provide a tracking number.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Man, it really sucks to see another scammer.

I wish there was some way we could introduce "unproven members send first" measures but that's pretty aggressive toward newcomers and I definitely don't want that.

mannerbot

Man, it really sucks to see another scammer.

I wish there was some way we could introduce "unproven members send first" measures but that's pretty aggressive toward newcomers and I definitely don't want that.

I don't think it is. Low/no feedback sellers should be expected to ship first. Well, unless they're dealing with a new buyer in which case go nuts, but common sense would dictate that they both think twice.

batrush

Are account sales permitted here? I'm interested to know what I could receive for my Steam account (36 games, many recent titles), my XBL account (large download list, great name) and my PSN account (level 28 in trophies, 120 plats, enormous download list, nice name). I will provide more details once I know this is permitted.

Silaerion

Neo Member
I don't think it is. Low/no feedback sellers should be expected to ship first. Well, unless they're dealing with a new buyer in which case go nuts, but common sense would dictate that they both think twice.

The problem with forcing such a requirement on newcomers would be the easy to abuse nature surrounding such a system.

There's been a few times already where an established member has run a scam spree and hightailed it off the forums. With this system, one would be able to make numerous purchases from newcomers citing the requirement, wait to receive the items, and then disappear without facing any serious consequences as the seller wouldn't be able to use any security tools due to the lack of a real transaction.

Istaerion

Are account sales permitted here? I'm interested to know what I could receive for my Steam account (36 games, many recent titles), my XBL account (large download list, great name) and my PSN account (level 28 in trophies, 120 plats, enormous download list, nice name). I will provide more details once I know this is permitted.

Account sales are permitted here as I've sold some in the past without issue. Just be forewarned, you might get a couple of people frowning on the idea due to ToS violations on each respective service.

As for some advice? Be realistic with your pricing when regarding the software titles and services attached to said accounts. It might be a fantastic deal, but there's the extra hurdle in the fact that it won't be under the buyer's name and they might have to continue consulting you should issues present themselves in the future.

I don't like the idea of forcing new members or those with low feedback to ship first. When I first started selling on here with no feedback no one batted an eye and everything panned out. I guess just be more cautious with who you deal with. If I haven't dealt with someone before I'll probably be less likely to deal with them going forward though.

toneroni

Man that guy seemed like a scammer from a million miles away. No profile pic, weird name, never any pics of the high end products he was selling.

Tawney, go on PayPal and click on his transaction and select it as unauthorized. I received $ back (like a week or two later) from a scammer back before that way. I think it helps once a few others that were scammed do the same.

Omega

Banned
You can't impose restrictions. You just have to be smart with who you deal with. It sucks that there are scammers out there but you can't punish newer people.

I assume the reason we post "positive feedback" or "negative feedback" is so that when we search the thread for that username, we see if they are actually legit.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That stinks regarding the scanner. Dude showed all the signs, though.

eosos

Banned
Anyone know how long isleofsancory's ban is? I bought a vita from him a little over a month ago and I don't think I'm going to get it. Anyone else bought anything from him?

And if I gifted the money am I pretty much SOL?
Ah fuck, I just bought a WiiU from him.

eosos

Banned
Did he send you two weirdly cropped photos of a box and gamepad?

edit: if detective gaf can do anything, his username was originally isleofsancroy@verizon.com, guessing that was his email address?

Nah, just told me it should arrive by the end of the week. We worked out a deal with the getting a bundle even. Have my fingers crossed that he'll deliver by the end of the week, but I'm not too hopeful...

Fracas

#fuckonami
Nah, just told me it should arrive by the end of the week. We worked out a deal with the getting a bundle even. Have my fingers crossed that he'll deliver by the end of the week, but I'm not too hopeful...

Aw that sucks, man. It's ultimately up to you, but I'd definitely talk to your bank or something

Istaerion

Did you get a tracking number? Not that it needs to be said at this point, but you're probably one of many others being scammed by this chap.

eosos

Banned
Did you get a tracking number? Not that it needs to be said at this point, but you're probably one of many others being scammed by this chap.

No tracking number, said he didn't get one. But I reported it as unauthorized just now and I'll be calling my bank tomorrow.

Istaerion

No tracking number, said he didn't get one. But I reported it as unauthorized just now and I'll be calling my bank tomorrow.

Yeah, he's a definite scammer unless he's completely gullible and inefficient.

It's one thing to not provide a tracking number for a $30 game, but something upwards to the cost of $200 or more? C'mon.

It looks like he just responded to a whole bunch of people looking to score some quick cash by offering them exactly what they were looking for.

Fracas

#fuckonami
It's not the email address that he gave me for PayPal for whatever that's worth.

Ah damn.

Ugh this whole thing really pisses me off. Hopefully you guys hit him with a battery of chargebacks and get refunds.

Yeah, he's a definite scammer unless he's completely gullible and inefficient.

It's one thing to not provide a tracking number for a $30 game, but something upwards to the cost of $200 or more? C'mon.

It looks like he just responded to a whole bunch of people looking to score some quick cash by offering them exactly what they were looking for.
That's exactly what he did to me a few weeks back. I was looking for a Wii U, he PMed me and offered. I was a bit suspicious already, so I asked for pics. He sent me weirdly cropped pics of a gamepad and box. I asked if he'd send first, he asked that I pay half now and half when it comes in. Unfortunately (though fortunately I guess), I had some car trouble come up and I couldn't go through with it.

Istaerion

Ah damn.

Ugh this whole thing really pisses me off. Hopefully you guys hit him with a battery of chargebacks and get refunds.

That's exactly what he did to me a few weeks back. I was looking for a Wii U, he PMed me and offered. I was a bit suspicious already, so I asked for pics. He sent me weirdly cropped pics of a gamepad and box. I asked if he'd send first, he asked that I pay half now and half when it comes in. Unfortunately (though fortunately I guess), I had some car trouble come up and I couldn't go through with it.

It's pretty disgusting what he managed to do... I won't be surprised if more folks come out of the woodwork later stating they were scammed too.

It may sound malicious and terrible of me, but I hope he supplied PayPal a fair bit of his information so he's slammed with all the chargeback fees PayPal will issue him with all the unauthorized claims bound to be coming his way.

Yep. That's the one.

And yeah, I had a WTB ad up and he said he could get me what I wanted. He was very insistent that I send a gift payment, which tells me not to send a gift payment.

He probably thought it was the ultimate form of defense for his intended actions when it really isn't if one knows how to respond to crap like this. In fact, it'll likely come to burn him quite a heavy deal considering how many people he's involved. I don't recall the specific number PayPal charges you for each chargeback they receive, but I believe it's somewhere around the $30-35 region?

Seik

Banned
It's happening again, damn. :/

It's too bad, a few juniors may make things way harder for everyone because of this. It is getting more and more frequent.

Istaerion

Do you think a Paypal fiasco like that (getting all those chargebacks) can wreck his credit?

If he supplied enough factual information, they're bound to send collections after him if he doesn't pay which is safe to say he very likely won't.

Depending on the scale of his mischief, I wouldn't be surprised if legal action is taken. It looks to be pretty damn bad so far.

Heavens help him if already spent that money or withdrew it to a bank account and then unlinked it. PayPal will reign unholy fire on him after being forced to refund the transactions themselves.

zulux21

Best methods are either USPS First Class or USPS Priority (Default or Flat Rate). You might be able to get away with Media Mail, but there's a bit of uncertainty there that I wouldn't recommend risking.

I'm a little slow to respond, but there isn't really any uncertainty for media mail, it clearly says that video games are not to be shipped that way. Even if you get away with it though, unless you are shipping a ton of games, it's not worth the savings (and we are talking mere pennies if you can ship first class) to have it take 2-5 times longer to get there.

A single game first class takes 1-3 days to get there (I totally blew one guys mind when he had the game in hand the day after the ebay auction ended :p), while media mail tends to take 3-6 during normal mail schedule... during a busy schedule it can take up to 20 (if there isn't enough room on a truck for all of the packages the media mail stuff will be what is left behind), and if you are sending it to an army base... ooh boy.... sending a text book that way took over 2 months... (thus why I don't ship to APOs anymore on half.com lol)

It's happening again, damn. :/

It's too bad, a few juniors may make things way harder for everyone because of this. It is getting more and more frequent.

I feel if it just keeps being juniors that are the problem, the only thing it will really make harder is for juniors to sell as there would be a stigma attached to them.

I suppose while I have a post, and it's been over 150 posts since my last post. I have two years of xbox live to sell, looking to get $40 each for them, or a year of ps+ each for them, or I am open to trades (I only really like niche japanese stuff when it comes to video games... I mean a play a ton of stuff but that is the only stuff I will actually pay a decent price for)

and as always if someone is near the madison wisconsin area and is into niche japanese stuff I have a few items for sale :p

Istaerion

I'm a little slow to respond, but there isn't really any uncertainty for media mail, it clearly says that video games are not to be shipped that way. Even if you get away with it though, unless you are shipping a ton of games, it's not worth the savings (and we are talking mere pennies if you can ship first class) to have it take 2-5 times longer to get there.

A single game first class takes 1-3 days to get there (I totally blew one guys mind when he had the game in hand the day after the ebay auction ended :p), while media mail tends to take 3-6 during normal mail schedule... during a busy schedule it can take up to 20 (if there isn't enough room on a truck for all of the packages the media mail stuff will be what is left behind), and if you are sending it to an army base... ooh boy.... sending a text book that way took over 2 months... (thus why I don't ship to APOs anymore on half.com lol)

Trust me, I've had folks in the past on other forums and storefronts use Media Mail for video game shipments quite often despite the lack of any real savings compared to First Class or even Priority.

Some people really just don't care how much they inconvenience someone so long as they save a quick buck here and there.

It provides the buyer and even the seller a sense of uncertainty because packages can and will be inspected randomly. If they discover you broke the rules, they'll ship back the item on their own schedule and likely charge a fee which just burdens the whole transaction for both parties.

Yep. That's the one.

And yeah, I had a WTB ad up and he said he could get me what I wanted. He was very insistent that I send a gift payment, which tells me not to send a gift payment.
Guy offered me the same deal when I had a WTB up. Took him 2 weeks to send pictures of the items, which were all inconsistent and clearly lifted off eBay. Huge red flag, and was thinking about reporting to the BST thread. What a doof.

Geneijin

It sucks that another scam has happened, but there's a lesson to be learned here. I"ll say the same thing when the last one happened: there doesn't need to be any more restrictions placed especially on juniors. I think what might need to be done is to add some precautionary advice in the OP. And if there is one, my main suggestion is if you're skeptical about any item you're purchasing from someone, ask for a picture. Not infallible, but it would reduce a lot of these type of scams.

Istaerion

It sucks that another scam has happened, but there's a lesson to be learned here. I"ll say the same thing when the last one happened: there doesn't need to be any more restrictions placed especially on juniors. I think what might need to be done is to add some precautionary advice in the OP. And if there is one, my main suggestion is if you're skeptical about any item you're purchasing from someone, ask for a picture. Not infallible, but it would reduce a lot of these type of scams.

I agree on the matter of restrictions. We can't let events like these make this place a nightmare to purchase and sell goods be you a new user, veteran, or whatever.

I think the OP needs to be updated with information regarding PayPal's gift payments and what they exactly entail. Don't ban it altogether as it has its purposes, but it needs to be used more responsibly.

We also need to make it known that tracking numbers are a crucial part of your defense as both a seller and buyer. If someone refuses to provide one, it's safe to start assuming some funny business is occurring unless they provide exact reasoning as to why it couldn't be acquired. USPS provides tracking on nearly all its services now... in fact, it might even be for everything now but I can't say for sure.

Last of all, just apply some common sense to your business transactions. If someone is offering a pricey item at a significant discount and is withholding details such as condition, pictures, or what-have-you... do yourself a favor and avoid conducting business with them and look for someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom