• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT33| Hey Luke, What's the Theme for King's Fall? (Unmarked Spoilers)

Daemul

If people wanna go buy all these emotes and fund my Destiny content for the next year then they can go right ahead, I ain't gonna stop them. I just hope that this shit doesn't spiral out of control and we end up with people paying real cash for weapons and armour later down the line.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
God damn theres me playing with other DGAF in raid and for probably 2 hours I'm talking away up until Golgoroth. I then asked a question and got no response. Turns out I'd had my mic on mute the whole time apart from the start where we dunk so theres me talking about enemy locations and taking turns in the situations leading up to War Priest and no one was hearing me.
tzFA1.gif

So far though easier than my first Vault of Glass run. Zhalo Supercell shits on everything.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As long as those are the only type of micro transactions they have, it will be ok IMO. Anything else, I'm OUT.
Ships (unless ships become somehow involved in gameplay), emotes, shaders at worst. Any sparrows ought to only be cosmetic swaps of ones that can be earned in-game.

Follow through on this

And I'm happy to have the content subsidized by people who don't mind throwing some extra money at emotes. I could even be convinced to throw some at them myself if they release a couple of substantive free content updates.

But it was always a huge checkmark in my estimation of Destiny's value proposition that it didn't utilize microtransactions. Frankly, I'll be expecting rather a bit more from the Live Team than we've seen so far as a result of this move.

Yeah I saw that. I will remain skeptical as to if we will see meaningful free content as a result of this until we actually get it.

Zocano

All signs point to them actually going down the MMO model of big free content bumps (new raid, new dungeons, new gear ceiling, etc.) and paid HUGE expansions (Heavensward, All the WoW expansions). With cosmetic $$$ DLC to support it instead of traditional monthly sub.

I am okay with this and am glad to see they are actually taking this route rather than the "small" expansions.

I think cosmetic MT's are great and hope this really helps the live team bring great content throughout the year. Snow during the holidays, quests, and stuff like that. What I'm sad about it that it sounds like we won't get a proper DLC mid year. A $15 raid and some higher light gear would help keep things from getting stagnant.

I do hope that I'm wrong.

If people wanna go buy all these emotes and fund my Destiny content for the next year then they can go right ahead, I ain't gonna stop them. I just hope that this shit doesn't spiral out of control and we end up with people paying real cash for weapons and armour later down the line.

They're not going to do this because they know there will be another shitstorm.

...Unless it's a Year 2 Gjallarhorn. I have no doubt people will pay $100+ for that.

FyreWulff

They are never selling stuff that impacts gameplay. Cosmetics only.

Shito

Oh cool. Selling stuff we could've got dropped in their LOOT GAME.
I don't think I really want emotes to be dropping as nightfall or raid rewards, really.
For the moment they do this the right way, and I see no reason why this would change in the foreseeable future.
I'll start worrying when there is actually something to worry about. ^^

Daemul

"Our plan is to use these new items to bolster the service provided by our live team for another full year, as they grow and create more robust and engaging events that we’ll announce later this year."

So the more emotes you buy... The faster we can get our Cabal Raid! (clearly) Bust out those wallets, Guardians!
46XjpeF.jpg

I'll be the guy with the whip making sure people buy those emotes, if I see anyone spending less than £10 they get a smack on the head. I'll be doing all this without spending a single dime myself but hey, free shit lol

Any other Xbox One GAFers interested in a quick Oryx kill tonight, 9pm EST?

Still stuck on Oryx after 2 weeks. Every LFG team seems to crumble at him -- too many moving pieces and not enough people willing to listen and learn. Are there any Gaffers on XB1 willing to run Oryx tonight? Say at like 9 EST? I'd really like to down him before the reset.

I'm down to run it at 9 EST as well. I'm also on X1. I got all the way to Oryx on Friday night, but everyone bailed when we got to him. I haven't tried him yet though. Gaf name same as live name and I'm a 296 Titan.

I can join as a 280 but I have a 1000 yard stare of goodness!! I can be the roamer :D

If y'all desperately need a 6th.

P.S. Yay new dances. If they are like a dollar or two I might buy some, $20 for 3 dances in the collector's edition bundle was way too steep for me.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still fucking pissed off the exotic class items from the CE are 170 light and can't infuse them, though.

That's just straight-up contemptuous. Ugh.

Dances I would buy.
White people dancing
Ricky Gervais dancing in the office
Leo DiCaprio dancing in Wolf of Wall Street
The Virgin dancing meme
And probably a couple I'm forgetting.

Trakan

I don't get how people aren't on board with microtransactions if it leads to free dlcs that would have costs us 20 dollars each.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They are never selling stuff that impacts gameplay. Cosmetics only.
Just in case anyone interprets this as "giving them the benefit of the doubt," they DID kind of go out of their way to say so.
If you’re not interested in what Tess has to offer, you won’t ever be forced to pluck an item off of her shelf. You’ll still receive updates to the game, and you won’t lose a Crucible encounter or fail to clear a Raid because you didn’t have the right Eververse Trading Company emote equipped.

Still, I'm currently sour on this, but open-minded. Destiny is rather an expensive game even if it still does beat a traditional subscription model handily. If the first free new content update comes to pass (not at all remotely including Iron Banner and Trials gear as meeting this criteria) and is good or great, they do have the opportunity to convince me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't get how people aren't on board with microtransactions if it leads to free dlcs that would have costs us 20 dollars each.
I see this as wildly, unrealistically optimistic. I imagine free smaller content updates that actually contain new content, staggered between traditional paid DLCs that they know will sell. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Micro transactions for emotes that don't affect gameplay in any way. I'm okay with this.

Also this is nice.

If you’re still skeptical, you can log in next week and take a look for yourself. We’ll be dropping some free Silver into your account so you can purchase an emote or two and become legend through the power of dance.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

people hear microtransactions and instantly freak out and assume pay 2 win. When in fact there are already plenty of games that do it well. tbf there are also plenty of games that don't, but given Bungie's own statements on this, and the fact that I have to assume they know better than to sell anything that's not cosmetic, it's fair to take them at their word or at least give them the benefit of the doubt.

FyreWulff

Just in case anyone interprets this as "giving them the benefit of the doubt," they DID kind of go out of their way to say so.

Still, I'm currently sour on this, but open-minded. Destiny is rather an expensive game even if it still does beat a traditional subscription model handily. If the first free new content update comes to pass (not at all remotely including Iron Banner and Trials gear as meeting this criteria) and is good or great, they do have the opportunity to convince me.

case in point: the bonus paid preorder guns are mid-tier eh weapons. and that was on purpose. they do not want pay-to-win, at all.

Jinjo

I'm still fucking pissed off the exotic class items from the CE are 170 light and can't infuse them, though.

That's just straight-up contemptuous. Ugh.

And they take up an actual exotic slot too! Let us buy Y2 versions Bungie please. WITH LEGENDARY MARKS, just too clarify.

Lnkn52

Yup, they just have to prove us wrong. We'll see. They tend not to get this right the first time, so bumpy road expected.

Bogeypop

I see this as wildly, unrealistically optimistic. I imagine free smaller content updates that actually contain new content, staggered between traditional paid DLCs that they know will sell. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

I'm hoping these free updates to (at least) be like The Dark Below and House of Wolves in terms of content, and we'll still get our yearly, paid "big" expansion like The Taken King.

Top Bottom