• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT33| Hey Luke, What's the Theme for King's Fall? (Unmarked Spoilers)

Namikaze1

Those who have done Warsats today, any screenshots of how many people were there doing it with you? I'm betting it was... a lot
On my Titan:
On Mars, I had 5 people in Scablands.
On Earth, I had 2 in Mothyards
On the Moon, I had 2 in Hellmouth

On my Hunter:
I had 2 on Mars
2 on the Moon
No one on Earth :(

Well my work's wifi is so trash that I can't even upload an img to imgur. But I finally bought the TTK soundtrack. I'm in dire need of motivational music and now that I've played a good chunk of TTK (only reason I didn't get it right away, I want to hear the music in game first before the soundtrack), it's so awesome to work and listen to this stuff.

deoee

So... Smart Loot, huh?

Look, I know it's not perfect. I know we're supposed to inch up to 310. But on my first Oryx run, I got the Titan mark at 303. "Hey, not bad!" I thought.

Ran it again last night, had my 20 mouldering shards ready. What do I get? Not one, but TWO titan marks. One at 303 that's identical to the one I'm wearing and one at 305.

Maybe the loot could be just a tad smarter? Even if its just preventing me from getting the same light level on the same piece of gear. I'll take the slow burn to 310! I don't mind! But not the same stupid thing.

Best thing to get at the end with 20 shards is 2 shards + 2 shards as a bonus!
Only for the price of 20 shards!
YES

Yeahhhh I'll pass. :p I plan to just do all 3 on my hunter.

Okay and if you do have the hunter radar perk, why is it necessary to buy a ghost for each planet I need to find materials on? Help me out here, lol

You and I are potentially looking at this very differently.

The "Monster Hunter" way is equivalent to rare mat nodes, or more symmetrically the unique legendary gear that is now found in Destiny strikes. But rather than "offset RNG" (not sure how I'm meant to interpret that term, as a random chance is still a random chance :p), this just forcing you to repeat specific content rather than the content of your choice. Or, to put it another way: farming ONLY Rathian over and over and over again or farming ONLY helium nodes on the moon over and over and over again. Because there's only one option to get what you're looking for. While you may prefer the perception of agency this affords the player, I don't like that kind of thing at all. If I understand that an item like Hawkmoon can drop anywhere in the game, in effect I just stop thinking about it altogether, and while it's certainly no positive that you can't control where you get it from or when, you also aren't forced to repeat literally a single activity a wholly undefined number of times for you only chance at getting it.

All of this is to say I liked the original Exotic bounties and the quests in general are such a net positive in my opinion. I just wish this one step were concrete, like the rest, even if it meant I needed to pop open 200 extra nodes. Because right now it's "who knows?"

These are good points too. By offset, I mean, providing a guaranteed source of what you're hunting. It's not just player perception. It allows me to design a kit, and then go out and build it. If I want Guad +3, Sharpness +1, I go hunt these montsers and get it. Now I want to build an INT/DISC build with Pulse Rifle/Sniper perks in Destiny? Just keep playing, hope you get good drops. It's a very Diablo model. Strike specific rewards are Monster Hunter, but they don't have set perks, so I don't really count them.

You do have a really good point about it forcing you to fight the same thing over and over again. I really wanted a Thunder Lance, but it'd require me to fight Khezu over and over agian. Fuck. That. Shit.

You other point about farming nodes to get rare mats or players getting frustrated about not getting War Sats as quickly as a I want points to a real mismatch in player psychology. 25 Crucible Sword kills can come pleasantly over a week or two, or unpleasantly in the course of 2 hours. It seems like everybody is choosing the latter option. And it's making the game worse for themselves and the other people in the crucible. I do wonder how quests will change in the future. I hope Bungie is getting metrics on time to complete Quests.

Edit: One way Bungie has mitigated this is kinda cool. The Gunsmith & Armsday. I like Pulse Rifles. Well, there's one with a variety of options nearly every week.

Not really arguing with any of your points, btw. Just enjoying a discussion how different games handle loot.

So... Smart Loot, huh?

Look, I know it's not perfect. I know we're supposed to inch up to 310. But on my first Oryx run, I got the Titan mark at 303. "Hey, not bad!" I thought.

Ran it again last night, had my 20 mouldering shards ready. What do I get? Not one, but TWO titan marks. One at 303 that's identical to the one I'm wearing and one at 305.

Maybe the loot could be just a tad smarter? Even if its just preventing me from getting the same light level on the same piece of gear. I'll take the slow burn to 310! I don't mind! But not the same stupid thing.

Loot always trolls. Back in TDB, it took me a month and a half to finally get Titan boots to drop after getting at least 3 of eveything else first.

Now in Kings Fall, I have had Titan boots drop twice but no other armor.

C'mon Bungie, this sucks.

Arrrammis

So... Smart Loot, huh?

Bungie's community people (Deej, Cosmo, and Luke) have been saying that Bungie never said anything about smart loot. They said faction packages wouldn't give you the same emblem or shader if you had already gotten it, but people took that and ran with it, and now people are complaining about something Bungie never said.

Loot is still 100% RNG, no "smart" loot system exists.

rNilla

A gift from the Gunsmith. Seems pretty dang nice.

xg6DGan.jpg

Klyka

Banned
Bungie's community people (Deej, Cosmo, and Luke) have been saying that Bungie never said anything about smart loot. They said faction packages wouldn't give you the same emblem or shader if you had already gotten it, but people took that and ran with it, and now people are complaining about something Bungie never said.

Loot is still 100% RNG, no "smart" loot system exists.

Yup, as far as I know, "smart loot" was actually a term coined by journalists and then used by the community.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Can I still do all 3 exotic swords on one character if one of the legendary swords has been fully upgraded on another character?

At the moment my Titan has the exotic quest for Arc and my Warlock for Solar. My Void isn't fully upgraded so the quest hasn't unlocked for the exotic. I'll move the Void over to the Titan then upgrade but I wonder if I've gone too far ahead for the Solar quest to use with my Titan.

On Arc and Solar I got to get 25 kills in Crucible. If I upgrade the Void on Titan then get all 25 kills Arc will it register across all 3 swords if they are in my Titans heavy inventory?

Yup, as far as I know, "smart loot" was actually a term coined by journalists and then used by the community.

I thought smart loot was something that only increased the probability that your next Raid section clear would have a drop after not getting anything, not that it would favor a specific item, just that an RNG drop would occur.

Nightfall anyone? I need one frigging Calcified Fragment and I dunno which Agonarch Rune Kill is the last one I need.

I hope the Nightfall provides it.

Anyway, PSN, mocolos_usa

Dave_6

Happy Birthday LT! Hope you have a good one!

On another note, I'm pretty sure me and my GF are probably done so back to having more time for Destiny :/

EDIT: Ugh, not the best top of the page post except for LT's bday.

It's weird that they would literally just 3 week time gate Sleeper Simulant. Like, it just shows up on earth, the starting quest. That's not fun. It's not exciting. It's milking their content.

I just logged in, looked at Earth, and there it was. No prompt, no nothing. Stupid as fuck. Instead of making it an actual mystery, it's literally just 'collect these 4 common random drops, turn them in, and then wait 3 weeks.'

So damn stupid.

Tecnniqe

Banned
You can Pay if you want to
You can pay your friends behind
'Cause if your friends don't pay and if they don't pay
Well, they're no friends of mine

Top Bottom