• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT37| Everything Old is New Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Loool we started a new passage

Kept getting matched up with insanely good people thay got flawless after beating us despite us being only 3-0

... Turns out manny still had his flawless passage on which made us get matched with other flawless :lol

T-44

Neo Member
Anybody want to form a team of 6 for a rumble and let me kill you all so I can get this impossible chaperone quest done?

Can anyone recall who the DGAF gaming monitor expert was? Trying to decide on what to do with my office now I have a ps4 in there.

Not sure about getting a 32" Sony LCD or maybe trying to find a good IPS monitor or something.

Afrocious

Once I get this new chair I bought for my PC, perhaps I should look into a monitor to game on.

But sitting on a recliner/couch is prime for the PS4 though...

Can anyone recall who the DGAF gaming monitor expert was? Trying to decide on what to do with my office now I have a ps4 in there.

Not sure about getting a 32" Sony LCD or maybe trying to find a good IPS monitor or something.

Do you want good reaction times or pretty picture? For good reaction times, look for an LCD Gaming Monitor. BenQ specializes in them. ASUS has good ones too. Pretty picture.. you can go TV or IPS monitor. Size you'll want will probably be 24" or 27".

Unstable knows a lot about computers, including gaming monitors.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'd like to think Bungie is playing it smart right now and not releasing anything because of the holiday rush. It would be futile to try and keep the constant user base with all the cheap and new games out this time of year.
Hopefully after the holidays they do something because ghost town is putting it lightly. Hard to see people not finish or even begin certain actives because of the lack of people. I think adding new exotics won't do as much since they don't affect the game in a major way. Nothing is going to keep me from using the Saint helm in PVE for example.
We're the crazy folks who have nearly everything and find little enjoyment in weekly stuff but slowly people are leaving the game and may come back with Destiny 2 depending on how Bungie does things. Would be nice to see Bungie keep up the numbers though in some way.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

IPS for image quality and TN and everything else for fast response. Personally for me there are IPS monitors out there that are both fast and beautiful to game. You can't really go wrong with Asus or Samsung when it comes to monitors. If you have money to spend, the Asus ROG is the Ferrari of gaming monitors. It's overkill for console games since it's like 90000000p and 144hz.

todd360

What's funny is every single person they made fun of in that video went onto become someone big in the gaming industry.

Justin Wong = One of the most popular and arguably best fighting game player ever. Sponsored by EG, the team which won Capcom Cup, EVO and DOTA2. His accolades and such need not be mentioned.

Clockwork = He's actually a Gaffer and posts a lot in fighting games thread. Went to work for Sony Monica and create a game you might know as Playstation all stars.

Yipes = Sponsored by an E-Cig company, clothing company and various other companies. One of the most popular commentators. A lot of Twitch words and memes that you hear people say was created by him.

Josh = Known as one of the best players of the Marvel community. His name always comes up when the word Marvel is mentioned. Has his own business.

Etc.

That makes the video even funnier. Those guys don't get to have "chaos" in their name though. You seem to know a great deal when it comes to fighting games.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
That makes the video even funnier. Those guys don't get to have "chaos" in their name though. You seem to know a great deal when it comes to fighting games.

That Mike Chaos guy is a chump now. When he goes to tournaments and such now he's all timid and quiet. The guy is like 5'4. I would put my money on Igor against him in a fist fight. When you think about it, it goes with the times. Back in the 90s and 2000s, gang banging was still a thing and these guys were just trying to be like that.

I know a lot about fighters even though a lot of them I don't play because of the people I hang out with. Back in the day fighting games were huge. It was basically MK and SF. There weren't RTS or FPS or anything of that sort. Fighting games ruled all. So everybody played them. And we spent time outside all day in arcades. I had no choice but to play them too. I started off a scrub. Didn't get a legit win until like 1000 matches later but now I can destroy anybody I grew up with in any fighting game. I stuck to fighters while they all went into PC games.

Anyway. This is the probably the lowest point of the FGC within the last couple of years. It made it to worldstarhiphop. It's actually pretty funny. http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh81SVKx18WIYh40xL

Trakan

I think adding new exotics won't do as much since they don't affect the game in a major way. Nothing is going to keep me from using the Saint helm in PVE for example.

I think Bungie only adding 2 of the remaining unreleased exotics in this December update is telling. Releasing 2 every 3-4 months lasts until Destiny 2. I really hope I'm wrong.

IPS for image quality and TN and everything else for fast response. Personally for me there are IPS monitors out there that are both fast and beautiful to game. You can't really go wrong with Asus or Samsung when it comes to monitors. If you have money to spend, the Asus ROG is the Ferrari of gaming monitors. It's overkill for console games since it's like 90000000p and 144hz.

I have the original Asus ROG swift TN panel as my main pc monitor but no HDMI input on it so stuck using a very old LCD monitor. Looks pretty good but still wouldn't mind getting something bit bigger and nicer.

I was looking at a 27" BenQ but forgot the model. Supposedly one of the lowest response times. TN panel though, was thinking IPS but maybe it's not such a big deal.

Unstable

First thing, let's define terms.

Panels;

TN panels are the standard for monitors, they're cheap and have a fast repose time (>5ms) but lack color accuracy and bad color shifting (EG. Slightly different angles will produce a brighter/darker image.) If it doesn't say on the spec page what panel it is, it's TN.

IPS panels in contrast, have fantastic color accuracy and great color shifting, but doesn't have as fast of a response time as TN does. (Usually, there are exceptions to this rule. More on that later.)

Refresh-rate;

Refresh rate is how fast a screen refreshes per second, denoted with "Hz" or "Hertz". 60Hz means a screen refreshes 60 times per second. However, Destiny is a 30fps game, technically Destiny is only producing enough information for half of a refresh cycle, and the screen should display a black image in its place. But modern screens hold the previous frame to prevent that from happening.

High refresh-rate monitors (120Hz - 144hz) Mostly high speed TN panels (we're talking >1ms of display latency here) These are probably the best "gaming" monitors. But, the true benefit is having a PC that can push 144fps and being able to see those frames.

For the purely console gamer who has no intentions on going pro anytime soon. I'd say pick up a nice IPS monitor. The response time is still great. (5ms - 10ms) and you'll have fantastic colors and contrast, that'll make every game you play look great.

Awesome info, much appreciated. Was hoping an IPS panel would be a good balance between quality and performance versus a TV or TN panel and it looks like that is true. This setup will pretty much only get used for multilayer games which right now is purely Destiny and then non competitive stuff out in my lounge room on the big screen but i still wanted nice visuals.

Edit: that's right, I was struggling to find a 27-28" IPS that wasn't 1440p.

That Mike Chaos guy is a chump now. When he goes to tournaments and such now he's all timid and quiet. The guy is like 5'4. I would put my money on Igor against him in a fist fight. When you think about it, it goes with the times. Back in the 90s and 2000s, gang banging was still a thing and these guys were just trying to be like that.

I know a lot about fighters even though a lot of them I don't play because of the people I hang out with. Back in the day fighting games were huge. It was basically MK and SF. There weren't RTS or FPS or anything of that sort. Fighting games ruled all. So everybody played them. And we spent time outside all day in arcades. I had no choice but to play them too. I started off a scrub. Didn't get a legit win until like 1000 matches later but now I can destroy anybody I grew up with in any fighting game. I stuck to fighters while they all went into PC games.

Anyway. This is the probably the lowest point of the FGC within the last couple of years. It made it to worldstarhiphop. It's actually pretty funny. http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh81SVKx18WIYh40xL
Knew it was Viscant n LTG lol
A compilation for your enjoyment

Erm. They don't. I get matched up with them regularly, there are some fantastic players.

True, being in Australia I've played online with a lot of Asian players, especially Japan. They are pretty great in fps games. Still recall getting matched with Japanese players during the killzone 2 days, those guys were beasts.

It's funny nobody takes offence over these generalist and racist remarks of hers, the hypocrisy is real.

Afrocious

Unstable

Awesome info, much appreciated. Was hoping an IPS panel would be a good balance between quality and performance versus a TV or TN panel and it looks like that is true. This setup will pretty much only get used for multilayer games which right now is purely Destiny and then non competitive stuff out in my lounge room on the big screen but i still wanted nice visuals.

Edit: that's right, I was struggling to find a 27-28" IPS that wasn't 1440p.
24" about as high as you'd want to go at 1080p. Any more than that you start to lose a lot of image quality.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
What exactly is racist about saying Japanese people are bad at FPSs? Something they don't even make a splash in, in any competitive FPS scene? Mean while Koreans and Japanese dominate any Esports scene and most fighting games for that matter. It wasn't until this year when an EG team won DOTA2 did the scene change. Besides that would be stereotypical. Difference between being stereotypical and racist. I'm half White and Asian so I've had it from both sides.

What exactly is racist about saying Japanese people are bad at FPSs? Something they don't even make a splash in, in any competitive FPS scene? Mean while Koreans and Japanese dominate any Esports scene and most fighting games for that matter. It wasn't until this year when an EG team won DOTA2 did the scene change. Besides that would be stereotypical. Difference between being stereotypical and racist. I'm half White and Asian so I've had it from both sides.

In League of Legends especially, the winners have been either Taiwanese, Chinese, or Korean. I'm sure if FPS' were more popular in Asia, you would see alot better players.

This was actually true until roughly three years ago. Seriously. CRTs still kick LCD's ass when it comes to image retention and refresh rate.

RIP my old CRT, I remember playing tons of Modern Warfare on it back in the day.

24" about as high as you'd want to go at 1080p. Any more than that you start to lose a lot of image quality.

Noted. One last question sorry(should probably have taken to PM but oh well). Any issues using dvi-hdmi adaptor? Finding 1080p IPS with hdmi is a difficult task it would seem. All either have 1440p or only display port.

1) I just started playing on a monitor this past week and it's so so good. Played xb1 trials today on it and I had to get readjusted. Seems to move a tad bit faster than ps4. Had both sensitivities on 5 and had to move to 4. But yea, very hard to go back.

2) I miss my CRT TV for Ninja Assault with the Time Crisis light gun. Miss miss miss it.

Unstable

No time to explain.

Afrocious

alright stable here's a question for you

say i wanted a gaming monitor to hook my pc up to get the most out of my fps games without worrying about delay and all that stuff

what monitors would you recommend?

bonus points if you can fit your response in a tweet

Ghazi

I remember that, Valle's face at the end is beautiful

the_id

finally home. anyone up for trials for bounties?? I'm keen to try and get to the tower but I don't think I'm strong enough yet.

SheHateMe

Many thanks to Twilight Gap and Drizzay for the Lighthouse run!

I've laid eyes on the Lighthouse once. That feels good.

Bed time for this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom