• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Preseason/Training Camp 2014 |OT| - This is our year!

Greg

cKnanqc.jpg

FkhfHWu.jpg

Can't really disagree but it is week one of preseason and I do believe in O Brien. See what happens.

honestly i wouldn't be too concerned about it. pre-season games are never as good or as bad as they look for a team. i'm not certain that fitzpatrick is going to lead you to the playoffs but i will 100% guarantee the texans wont be picking in the top 10 again next year

All according to plan.

#BOB

But seriously, whoever on the Texans organization decided to not draft a real QB should have already been fired.

Exactly. The Clowney pick was the right one, but with both Manziel and Bridgewater falling, you absolutely have to move up and get one of them

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
still excited mech?

honestly i wouldn't be too concerned about it. pre-season games are never as good or as bad as they look for a team. i'm not certain that fitzpatrick is going to lead you to the playoffs but i will 100% guarantee the texans wont be picking in the top 10 again next year

normally i would agree, EXCEPT, I've already seen these texans. In fact what I saw tonight was the a lot of the same bullshit we've seen for the last 4 pre-seasons and regular season.

JJ Watt makes a big play, next play is 3rd and 16 defense gives up 30. Check
Clowney makes a big play (just replace him for jj watt in previous seasons) and defense gives up a big play. Check
Receivers running wide open. Check
Lots of stupid defensive penalties. Check
3rd and 3 on offense, throw it two yards. Check
3rd and 6 on offense, throw it 5 yards. Check
Kick returner bringing kicks out 6,7,8,9 yards deep to barely or not even get passed the ten yard line. Check
Kick returner actually manages to bring a 9 yard deep kick out passed the twenty, illegal block in the back. Check
Stupid interceptions by the QB, check.

i think that about covers all the same issues they had under Kubiak.
I put the over under wins at 4, anything over 6 wins and I will be extremely surprised.

Anyway my wife is 9 months pregnant and is due august 30th so really, any day now I'll be joining NFL-GAF dads.

MechDX

still excited mech?

normally i would agree, EXCEPT, I've already seen these texans. In fact what I saw tonight was the a lot of the same bullshit we've seen for the last 4 pre-seasons and regular season.

JJ Watt makes a big play, next play is 3rd and 16 defense gives up 30. Check
Clowney makes a big play (just replace him for jj watt in previous seasons) and defense gives up a big play. Check
Receivers running wide open. Check
Lots of stupid defensive penalties. Check
3rd and 3 on offense, throw it two yards. Check
3rd and 6 on offense, throw it 5 yards. Check
Kick returner bringing kicks out 6,7,8,9 yards deep to barely or not even get passed the ten yard line. Check
Kick returner actually manages to bring a 9 yard deep kick out passed the twenty, illegal block in the back. Check
Stupid interceptions by the QB, check.

i think that about covers all the same issues they had under Kubiak.
I put the over under wins at 4, anything over 6 wins and I will be extremely surprised.

Anyway my wife is 9 months pregnant and is due august 30th so really, any day now I'll be joining NFL-GAF dads.

Its football season so yes I am excited. One preseason game with a new coach, system, etc.....and you are ready to write it off?

Seriously, congrats on the kid!

I felt bad after watching the Raiders last night, but watching Houston made me feel a little better

Watched the game today on DVR, really not as bad as people think. Both Lines played well and are orders of magnitude better than last year, even have some decent depth.

Some communication problems on both sides of the ball, but it's to be expected in preseason, same with the penalties.

I was pretty happy with most of our rookies. Mack didn't do much, but it's his first game. Carr's footwork is much improved and he didn't really make any bad decisions. The INT was kind of iffy since it went right through Olawale's hands, and I think he came up short on that route.

Jackson and Jelly both looked great, as did Carrie and Harris who was a huge surprise. Chekwa is finally getting it together and Menelik Watson had a hell of a game after he settled down. He was out in front of DMC on that 23 yard run. Crazy athletic for a big man.

I think we registered 6 sacks and 8 tackles for loss, all in all, not bad.

I really don't think Schoob will be starting by week 8 tho, but who knows.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Landry Jones looked better than Bradkowski... Someone wrap Ben in protective foam.

And Tony Stewart tried to kill someone? Always knew that guy was a doucher.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Its football season so yes I am excited. One preseason game with a new coach, system, etc.....and you are ready to write it off?
Based on what they did this offseason and the same old mistakes tonight? Absolutely. They got rid of a lot of good players like Antonio, Daniels and Manning, didnt really replace them with anyone and the 2013 draft is a huge determent to the team. They replaced our below average QB with... a average at best QB. At least schaubs best was better than Fitzpatricks best.

I came into the season thinking if they can even get average QB play, average special teams instead of terrible QB play and terrible special teams, they could be competitive with the defense. But now, not so much.

Seriously, congrats on the kid!
thanks. we're very excited.

Watched the game today on DVR, really not as bad as people think. Both Lines played well and are orders of magnitude better than last year, even have some decent depth.

Some communication problems on both sides of the ball, but it's to be expected in preseason, same with the penalties.

I was pretty happy with most of our rookies. Mack didn't do much, but it's his first game. Carr's footwork is much improved and he didn't really make any bad decisions. The INT was kind of iffy since it went right through Olawale's hands, and I think he came up short on that route.

Jackson and Jelly both looked great, as did Carrie and Harris who was a huge surprise. Chekwa is finally getting it together and Menelik Watson had a hell of a game after he settled down. He was out in front of DMC on that 23 yard run. Crazy athletic for a big man.

I think we registered 6 sacks and 8 tackles for loss, all in all, not bad.

I really don't think Schoob will be starting by week 8 tho, but who knows.

I agree for the most part, but the WR's and TE's were a horrific mess

MechDX

Based on what they did this offseason and the same old mistakes tonight? Absolutely. They got rid of a lot of good players like Antonio, Daniels and Manning, didnt really replace them with anyone and the 2013 draft is a huge determent to the team. They replaced our below average QB with... a average at best QB. At least schaubs best was better than Fitzpatricks best.

I came into the season thinking if they can even get average QB play, average special teams instead of terrible QB play and terrible special teams, they could be competitive with the defense. But now, not so much.

thanks. we're very excited.

Um......dude.
Read reports OD has no burst when going out in lanes, NONE.
Antonio. I liked Antonio but dude crick is an obvious upgrade and Pagan looks pretty good for a rookie.
manning? 33 year old safety coming off a second leg injury in 2 years at $6 million per year? Lewis and Clemmons are both younger and a lot cheaper while being on par (minimum) ability wise.

By those cuts along with Schaub gone they save nearly 20 million in cap space next year. release a combination of either Joseph/Foster/Myers after this season and we have nearly 40 million in cap space available.

You are thinking with your heart and not what is best financially. I liked all 3 of those guys as well but they are all pretty much done.

MechDX

Texans need to trade/cut DJ Swearinger. Son of a bitch is on twitter showboating his one hit he had. Doesn't acknowledge the utter shit game he played in pass coverage.

Bread

Banned
Savage threw like 4 passes and almost got killed by a blitzing LB with less than 2 minutes left in the game.
So garropolo is the Brady to savage's mallett, is that what you're telling me?

Fine me Dutch I don't give a fuuuuuuuuck!

Browns game 1 review:

I thought both QBs looked "ok" Neither one did anything spectacular but neither one did anything terrible either. If I had to give one the nod for this first game it would go to Manziel. Thought his throws were pretty accurate and had zip on them. Only remember really 1 bad throw. He suffered from a few drops that absolutely should've been caught. Looked decent on his feet. Running game looks improved. Its only 1 game and a preseason game at that so I'm not going to panic but the WRs dont look great and if we lose Gordon for the year....eh boy.

Overall I thought the first team played decent. 2nd team o-line looked terrible. McFadden is about on his last limb in my eyes. Armonty Bryant looks like a beast. Kruger not so much. I thought the tackling overall was pretty sloppy today. Penalties...just sloppy for the most part. If they are gonna call these ticky tack defensive holding shit flags on CBs all season, ugh, NFL football is going to get hard to watch. Not gonna get too in depth about preseason game #1 and dont really care that our scrubs lost to their scrubs. None of those guys will even be on the team in 3 weeks. Preseason W&L are meaningless. A lot of rust being knocked off out there. Let's get it right! 26 days till Pittspuke!

Top Bottom