• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Kreed

I've never played viewtiful joe

Neither have most of the people in this thread shitting on Platinum/Clover, or any Platinum/Clover game. Their games sell awful but I've never played a bad or even an average one. Their "worst" game was God Hand in terms of production values/polish, and that game was still fun.

Clover/Platinum's main problem is that their series are the definition of niche, but the budgets are for high end mass market games (hell Bayonetta's budget got so bad it didn't even get full animated cut scenes all the way through).

It's just not a good formula when it comes to business. Why Nintendo saved Bayonetta? I don't know. As a Bayonetta fan I'll eventually play it at some point, so I appreciate the save, but it was dumb. At the very least, they could have had them make 3DS titles, where they could have at least sold Vita numbers.

DMC 1's camera, weapon selection, overall level design, combat system, and story are worse than 3, and boss fights pale in every way compared to 3.

It's not close. DMC3:SE is the superior game.

Bayo > or = NGB > DMC3 > DMC1

More garbage. It's more like:

DMC3 SE = NG1 = GOW3 > God of War 2 = DMC4 > DMC 1 = Viewtiful Joe = God of War = MGR > God Hand = Otogi 1 & 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bayonetta

I really couldn't get into at all, and I tried. Same thing with Vanquish.

Neither have most of the people in this thread shitting on Platinum/Clover, or any Platinum/Clover game. Their games sell awful but I've never played a bad or even an average one.

I've played them all, it's not really a debate as to if they are well-made games, they just don't click with a lot of people and don't sell. I can acknowledge something being deep and technical even if I don't like it or couldn't get into it.
Loved Okami, enjoyed Viewtiful Joe, came to appreciate God Hand, but aside from MGR, nothing has blown me away.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
God of War as an action game is just poor. It is entertaining as hell but mechanically it's weak and ive aalways felt it to be restrictive compared to other games in it's genre.

God of War as an action game is just poor. It is entertaining as hell but mechanically it's weak and ive aalways felt it to be restrictive compared to other games in it's genre.

That's intentional though. 3 to me still has the best combat system, but is it as deep as DMC or others? Nah.

But it crushes the rest in every other area, from set-pieces to graphics to story; all of that combined is why I enjoy it so much. Ascension...well, I understood what they tried to do, even if it didn't really work for a lot of people.

I actually like GoW2 more than any of the DMC games. Doesn't have the depth of Bayo/NG/DMC, but it gets by just fine. More importantly, I think it's an exceptionally well-paced and well-rounded game, with some wonderful art direction, great level design, large variety of enemies and locations, great music, etc. It's kinda the complete package, where DMC3/4 have a great combat system, but I find it pretty lackluster in several other areas as a complete game.

I feel similar about Godhand. Great, clever, funny combat system that plays like no other game before or since, mediocre everything else(cept a few great tunes now and again).

God of War tho? Stop it 5.

Nope, God of War is the better package to me. God of War 2 might be the best overall adventure up there--the tour de force of Greek myths and cliffhanger ending was one of the main reasons I bought a PS3.

NGB is dope everything else from the NG series sucks the ass of a 1000 bronies at a MLP convention.

Was pretty pissed when I discovered Sigma had no Intercept.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
GoW 2 is probably the best one. The mechanics were fun to mess around with.

I prefer the Onimusha series to all of GoW, especially the first one. That screen tearing was awful.

Slayven

the only person in existence that is more of a legendary bad bitch than me is Bayonetta

hopefully that puts things into perspective

That you can skip leg day because you always putting your foot in your mouth? Or that you are irrelevant to everyone except for the 5 people that pinned their hopes and dreams on a resurrected flop?

GoW 2 is probably the best one. The mechanics were fun to mess around with.

I prefer the Onimusha series to all of GoW, especially the first one. That screen tearing was awful.

Ah, Onimusha--I enjoyed that series too, but 4 was bleh--even if it did have SF costumes and themed music.

I liked 3 the best, was fairly sad that we got nothing this generation from the series.

Maybe if more PS360 owners bought the damn game in the first place, it wouldn't be a Wii U exclusive.

The sad truth is that no one really cares.

Yay Capcom. :/

Well, I got worried when I saw
Asura's_Wrath_Cover_Art.png

then played
resident_evil_6_heroes_by_ceriselightning-d5nc6zs.png

but then there's
ducktales_remastered.0_cinema_640.0.jpg

They've been a mixed bag overall for me. I liked Lost Planet, and then it immediately went off the rails. Enjoyed DMC4, Mega Man 9 and RE5.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Nope, God of War is the better package to me. God of War 2 might be the best overall adventure up there--the tour de force of Greek myths and cliffhanger ending was one of the main reasons I bought a PS3.

Was pretty pissed when I discovered Sigma had no Intercept.

I mean, I like GoW too. I do. But its the Uncharted of its genre. Its pretty much on rails and allows very little creativity and freedom to the player pushing the buttons. Its a great game. I just don't like comparing it to the DMCs and Platinum games and Ninja Gaidens because it just doesn't hold up.

Its a mainstreamed Onimusha. Which is great. But its like comparing Mortal Kombat to Guilty Gear.

Mr. Nobody said:
What? NG2 was awesome.

Hated it, ruined everything I liked about the series in one fell swoop.

Maybe if more PS360 owners bought the damn game in the first place, it wouldn't be a Wii U exclusive.

Tell Platinum to budget better. It sold 1.35m copies and was their highest selling game they had ever developed.

I'll put money the Wii U version won't even reach 1/3 of that. Wii U gamers can't talk shit about PS3/360 gamers when amazing games like Wonderful 101 fail...but watch Mario Kart 8 do stupid numbers.

DominoKid

Hated it, ruined everything I liked about the series in one fell swoop.

Tell Platinum to budget better. It sold 1.35m copies and was their highest selling game they had ever developed.

I'll put money the Wii U version won't even reach 1/3 of that. Wii U gamers can't talk shit about PS3/360 gamers when amazing games like Wonderful 101 fail...but watch Mario Kart 8 do stupid numbers.

eh,..W101 was brick bound from inception.

I mean, I like GoW too. I do. But its the Uncharted of its genre. Its pretty much on rails and allows very little creativity and freedom to the player pushing the buttons. Its a great game. I just don't like comparing it to the DMCs and Platinum games and Ninja Gaidens because it just doesn't hold up.

Its a mainstreamed Onimusha. Which is great. But its like comparing Mortal Kombat to Guilty Gear.

Not exactly. Fighting games, you are doing 1 thing, period; Action games, combat can be one big area of several--I also liked the puzzles in God of War.

God of War and the rest are in the same genre. If 1 area isn't meant to be as deep, but the other areas dwarf the rest, then that's not a wash for me, that means the total package is better. Being the best-looking doesn't hurt either.

I play the other games knowing that literally nothing I'm going to do is going to be like beating up Kronos. Is it enjoyable? Sure. But not every game needs that depth of combat, if its trying to do more overall.

And this is someone who would gladly take an entire game playing as Vergil in hell, period.

You know what's a better question

How the hell are there 3 Lost planet games?

How?

better question

how is that LP3 looks UGLIER than LP2

Also, flawed as they were, the first two at least had some interesting ideas and mechanics, like the TP energy management or the grapple claw. LP3 is about as generic a TPS you'll find this year...and this is the same year that spawn Army of Two: Devil's Cartel, and Fuse.

G-Fex

better question

how is that LP3 looks UGLIER than LP2

Also, flawed as they were, the first two at least had some interesting ideas and mechanics, like the TP energy management or the grapple claw. LP3 is about as generic a TPS you'll find this year...and this is the same year that spawn Army of Two: Devil's Cartel, and Fuse.

I never got into LP I played the first one, had no idea what the hell was going on

Have met her quite a few times this year. She's smart as fuck and cool too. I'd hang with her outside of cons and cosplay environs, and i can't say that for many cosplayers.

Oh, I remembered another reason earlier, but I was headed somewhere - because those girls won't fuck with them.

Top Bottom