• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF JULY 2013 Pick-Up Post!! Show Us Your Gaming Goods + more!

rookiejet

9bRHs8yl.jpg

I've "upgraded" to a regular 3DS.

Seriously, the XL is a bulky, heavy piece of poo. It's unwieldy, and uncomfortable. Probably just confirmation bias, but I have been carrying the regular 3DS a lot more around with me, and consequently playing it a lot more.

Yes Boss!

Seriously, the XL is a bulky, heavy piece of poo. It's unwieldy, and uncomfortable. Probably just confirmation bias, but I have been carrying the regular 3DS a lot more around with me, and consequently playing it a lot more.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I also way prefer the smaller original 3DS. Just better sytle all around. Screen is better on the XL, though!

amr

Banned
I tried the DSi XL earlier this year, but I wound up returning it to stick with my Lite.

I want a 3DS XL, but I may hold out for the next small revision (3DS Lite or something).

Who am I kidding? Pokemon!

9bRHs8yl.jpg

I've "upgraded" to a regular 3DS.

I've actually kept my regular 3DS, despite having bought an XL (I have the Pikachu version) and while I game more on my XL, I do still appreciate the smaller factor of the original 3DS. Probably as it's easier to fit a regular 3DS in your pocket, as I can fit my XL but it's really obvious that I have one, but I do appreciate the screen & battery life more on my XL. Colors look way better on the regular as well but my hands (which are on the small side tbh) would still cramp up (they have yet to on the XL).

Regardless, just game on what you find comfortable as the 3DS/3DSXL is a fantastic system.

Loving the colors and specially the DOF. What camera did you use? Any special settings?

My good friend (and gaffer NaughtyCalibur) took this picture after I bought ACNL. The camera that I have is a Canon Rebel XS and used a Canon 85mm F1.8 lens.

Thanks for the compliments. :)

Cody_D165

Banned
Snagged a used Wii at a garage sale for $40 over the weekend. Not too shabby, been wanting to pick one up again even though I have a Wii U. It's worth 40 to me just to be able to play Brawl with Gamecube controllers again...

After over a year of collecting, I finally completed my Batman DC Chess set:
b997d755-46cc-4860-8fa7-441271c7c524_zpsdd8a077c.jpg

e3170904-7f80-43b5-865e-16366928ac79_zps4ebaa3a2.jpg

8a294563-9f35-440d-9a9b-5aaee38874c3_zps55241f8d.jpg

6657e37d-f2a2-4727-a64a-fd89a2acdc1e_zps16445529.jpg

09c09e32-07c9-4993-a1b6-c66909660f56_zps74394399.jpg

1df55307-f694-461c-bc6e-672955ab00fb_zps37dae1a7.jpg

And thus starts a long journey of collecting the Justice League chess set:
fe85cb7f-a803-4ad4-8c54-636bf00f7caa_zps214180d1.jpg

Yuterald

My best pickup of the year. No game will top this...

Got this at my local Goodwill for $40 during my July 4th weekend/break. I've been wanting a Sony Trinitron for awhile now. I'm NEVER going back to playing old systems/games on HDTVs. This thing makes old games look SO GOOD. I had no idea what I was missing out on.

There are a few problems with it though. It didn't come with a remote so the "Video" output display is stuck on the top left corner of the screen. I ordered a remote that should fix this problem though. Also, there's a high pitch frequency sound that persists while the TV is on. I've read that it's common with these types of TVs and that there are ways to fix it. It's not ear aching or anything, but it's a little annoying. Can't complain though when games look this good! Seriously, booting some of these games up feels new again!

I've also ordered an S-video cable for my Saturn. Right now I have my PS2 hooked up with component cables to this TV and the games look SHARP. I'm in love with this shit!

qjqgnOg.jpg

Street Racing Syndicate

T8RzQhx.jpg

State of Emergency

y42bViO.jpg

...aw crap, it's a got a Blockbuster sticker? I heard those things will unbalance your discs and screw up your drives. Maybe I can remove it.
7jR1XA5.jpg

Crap. Well yeah, I guess I should have expected that.
A quick google search later says that these stickers are designed to adhere directly to the data layer of the disc, so when it's removed, it literally rips the data right off the disc, making it unusable.
...but that's on CDs.
DVDs should be more resistant to it, so it can be a toss up to whether or not it has any bad effects. So I decided to go for it, as worst case scenario means I can just pick up a disc-only copy since I've got the complete box and manual.
So I took a razor blade, made a small incision in part of the sticker that was raised a bit, and begin gently-yet-firmly pulling it off. It seemed to self-tear in spiral patterns.
This is the result.
AWQSoHp.jpg

Yeah, that stuff was pretty strong. It ripped the label right off.
Left a whole bunch of adhesive on it too.
dShusae.jpg

What you probably noticed though, is that only the label came off. Because the data layer was under it, it stayed perfectly intact.
So I grabbed some Goo Gone and rubbing alcohol and gave it a thorough cleaning.
Ended up with this.
KzJvQxy.jpg

It doesn't look pretty, but I put it in my PS2 and it loaded, ran, and played perfectly. No disc-read errors or any strange behavior. I'd say that's a success.
Admittedly I'm a bit worried about the thrashed label making the disc unbalanced, so I'll most likely just pick up a cheap disc-only copy since I've got the box and manual.

6i4fdpX.jpg

MX vs. ATV Unleashed

u5pEWN8.jpg

Gran Turismo
Why is the case a multi-disc case? GT is only a 1-disc game. I never owned it originally, so I don't know if there was some sort of in-box bonus or something.

cH2jWSj.jpg

F-Zero X
I used to own this years ago, but traded it in to GameStop.

HyUVGcX.jpg

Quest 64
Same as above, used to own but traded in.

aYcZb63.jpg

Digimon: Rumble Arena
Same as above. Regrettable trades all over.

qRYqOmX.jpg

Etrian Odyssey

eXistor

Bought a bag full of about 30 PSX games for €5,- I threw the rest in the trash (football, shitty racing games etc.) and kept these. Good condition too.

ApJ22O5.jpg

oldmario

u5pEWN8.jpg

Gran Turismo
Why is the case a multi-disc case? GT is only a 1-disc game. I never owned it originally, so I don't know if there was some sort of in-box bonus or something.

i think if a game only has 1/2 discs and are in that case it's because the manual is too big to fit into a standard case, i know some games i own are like that in pal land such as tomb raider and doom 1

Forsete

Be-awesome flashlight.

9255013173_7965dc3a4c_b.jpg

My first CO2 pistol, I am more of a spring type of guy, but this looked nice enough. Need something to do over the summer. :p
9220097433_d664787b4e_b.jpg

Apparantly it is banned in the US of A of all countries, because it is made by Baikal by "real weapons parts" the US of A governments is worried it can easily be converted into a powder burner. USA of all countries!
The parts probably are real but have been milled so you never can convert it back.

Artorias

Banned
I had a long vacation in late June to Disneyland and a few Giants games, and I got a few sketches drawn at The Wonderground in downtown Disney.

I put these in cheap premade frames, but I got custom frames made for a few other prints. I'll post them soon, but I accidentally told them I'd put it all together myself.

My Lenovo y410p just showed up. Will play with it tonight and come back with some impressions in the laptop thread.

Loading up Adobe Premiere and steam now. Should have great performance for a $849 14".

Grief.exe

qjqgnOg.jpg

Street Racing Syndicate

T8RzQhx.jpg

State of Emergency

y42bViO.jpg

...aw crap, it's a got a Blockbuster sticker? I heard those things will unbalance your discs and screw up your drives. Maybe I can remove it.

Get some goof off from your local hardware store or Walmart.

Will clean up all of those stickers and gunk off of those games.

093945306597.jpg

lvlzero

Banned
I am in Tokyo, where I can find him? ;-)
Damn that thing is cute. And now my wife wants one. You're in Japan, right?

Derpkin approves of the love, so he posed for a bonus picture, on top of my July 2013 pickup (kinda, but not really, we just got married this month is all)

WmJBUwT.jpg

Now for an actual pickup, this lot:

zb47C9L.jpg

Thought the wife was going to kill me, but instead when i turned up with a car load her first words were "holy shit a super scope, awesome", touched lucky with this one, shes a keeper.

IrishNinja

my latest retro addition!

PC-Engine Duo R - Region-free (switch for cards is in the slot), new lens installed & RGB modded for XRGB mini goodness. i couldn't find my genesis model 2 AC adapter (same voltage) so im waiting on another from ebay, but i don't even have games for this thing yet, haha...

fortunately, fellow gaffer DJ Lushious donated

Bonk's Revenge
Galaga '90
Final Lap Twin
Bonk's Adventure
Alien Crush
Keith Courage

so hopefully soon i'll finally get to start exploring the TG-16's library (a neighbor had the CD unit but we only had Cosmic Fantasy 2 & Air Zonk, both of which i need to pick up). so hyped!

now to make shelf space for it, heh

ps speaking of RGB, i need retro_console_accessories to get off hiatus next week on ebay so i can grab a SCART for my other recent addition, RGB modded N64! man an upscaler really does wonders on these classics

zb47C9L.jpg

Thought the wife was going to kill me, but instead when i turned up with a car load her first words were "holy shit a super scope, awesome", touched lucky with this one, shes a keeper.

Haha! sick. I had the super scope as a kid. Such an insane add on when you think about it.

Now for an actual pickup, this lot:

zb47C9L.jpg

Wow, that's is so cool! What amazes me is the pristine condition of those boxes after all these years.

Super Famicom came super quick from Japan (10 days to MA). Amazing I got one cheaper on eBay than I did last time at Super Potato:

Some more games came in for the SNES/NES. Never played Zombies Ate my Neighbors, looks like that will be next week's episode of BackinmyPlay:

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
My rigg finally arrived! After almost two months of waiting:

Intel i7-3770K
MSI Z77 MPower
Western Digital 2TB SATAIII
MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozer (temperal, will be replaced with a 770 Lightning when it arrives from backorder. There are 120 backorders at this moment :/)
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 32GB
LG Bluray Writer (14 speed)
Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1000W

Yay!
It's so pwetty!

BOTEC

I've been playing obscene amounts of Project X Zone lately, and the two games it made me curious about checking out are SRT OG Saga: Endless Frontier, and Sakura Wars. The former is out of print and has been priced up into the stupid-sphere by the aftermarket, so I grabbed the LE of Sakura Wars So Long My Love for $30 instead.

imKMAkq.jpg

Top Bottom