• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF SEPT. 2009 Pick-Up Post! (Real pics or BAN!)

Yes Boss!

ZROCOOL said:
Awesome pick up Yes Boss! Where can I get that stick at?

From the Mad Catz GameShark Store. They only ship North America, I believe.

TheLegendary said:
I'm sure this has been asked multiple times in Pick Up Post threads but what exactly do Yes Boss and the other arcade stick collectors do with all those arcade sticks?? Every month I see 2 or 3 arcade stick purchases. Do you just collect them? What's the deal?

Nothing with them. I just buy them...like folks buy other things with their money. Something fun to do. I mostly use the same stick for 360 I've used for two years. Barely play anything on the PS3 that needs a stick so those get used even less, if ever.

meppi

Chacranajxy said:
3 things:

1) You don't need to finish the game without continues to unlock Elevator Action 1... just finish the game.

2) Elevator Action 1 really sucks.

3) Playing the game on one credit is indeed the correct method. I 1cced it on hard mode yesterday, and was satisfied. Guess I'll tackle it on Very Hard next time.

1) Hmm, is that so? I was told back in the day when the game just came out that I needed to complete it without continues, but since I always play arcade games that way I didn't even try to do it the easy way. Just took me about a week to finally beat it without continuing.

2) What sucks is your total lack of taste in games. Your probably one of "those people" that hate Xevious as well. :p
Meh, you probably had to be there when it came out in the arcades...

memecomplex said:
Is Blue Submarine No.6 any good?

Don't know yet. I haven't had time to play anything but Bubble Bobble Galaxy which also arrived yesterday. I'm in the middle of a little Dreamcast project I'm working on which has eaten up all my free time this past week.

But I did play a demo about 7 or 8 years ago. Can't remember where I got it from, probably a freebie.
And even though it only had one level, I loved it. Very atmospheric and eerie game and if I remember correctly, the music really stood out.

Great balance between exploration and combat as well.

bPod

Very nice sticks Yes Boss!

Too bad they only ship within the states. Oh Well...HELLLOO EBAY!!

Not the hardcover, but definitely beautiful nonetheless
DSC00300.jpg

Saw on ebay for a great price, but I got raped at customs :(
DSC00302.jpg

Picked up some games
DSC00304.jpg

and I said to my "why the hell not"
DSC00310.jpg

My brother will be visiting downtown LA, any suggested spots for video games and collectibles? Thanks!

Yes Boss!

meppi said:
2) What sucks is your total lack of taste in games. Your probably one of "those people" that hate Xevious as well. :p
Meh, you probably had to be there when it came out in the arcades...

Good or bad, I'm up to the challenge of unlocking it!

I started playing my Saturn games and I'm picking two per month to go through. First up is Thunder Force III since it is not yet on VC. This game was completely where it was at when I was in high school. I tried using a stick but I'm returning to the controller. I'll them transition into Elevator Action Returns later this week.

meppi

Yes Boss! said:
Good or bad, I'm up to the challenge of unlocking it!

I started playing my Saturn games and I'm picking two per month to go through. First up is Thunder Force III since it is not yet on VC. This game was completely where it was at when I was in high school. I tried using a stick but I'm returning to the controller. I'll them transition into Elevator Action Returns later this week.

Nice to hear that.
The two retro systems that are always hooked up to my 46" panasonic downstairs are my Japanese Saturn and Dreamcast. The others I just bring down when I want to have a go a them. ;)
Not sure what Saturn games you already have.
I'm very close to having all the ones I want, besides re-buying Japanese copies of my Pal games that is.

But besides the obvious choices that you've seen on every single list like NiGHTS, Sega Rally, Panzer Dragoons, Burning Rangers, etc.

Here are some more that I really love and recommend if you love arcade games the way I do. :)

-Cotton 2 and Boomerang. Although being very close to one another, both are more than worthy to pick up since they play very differently. If I had to choose one I'd say Boomerang as it feels more shmuppy to me for some reason.

-Bubble Symphony. Not much needs to be said here.

-Twinkle Star Sprites. Such a great game. Fun in single player, but hilarious and devilishly addictive in multiplayer.

-Layer Section. One of the best shooters ever, simple as that.

-Steep Slope Sliders. Still along with 1080 Snowboarding on the N64 my favourite snowboarding game ever. Graphics are a bit dated, but I've never have a problem with that before.

Digital Pinball Necronomicon. Simply put, one of the best video pinball games ever. Gameplay is perfect, tables are so much fun and the announcer and music along with the overall setting put this one over the top. Along with Pin-Bot on the NES my favourite pinball game.

-Guardian Force. Special little shooter that doesn't get much attention because it's a bit different. Love it though.

-Batsugun. Toaplan shooter. What more do i have to say? Superb game.

-Image Fight & X-Multiply. Loved Image fight since I first played it in the café that we had. There was always a new arcade game there every few months. :)
Not the best game and very hard, but I still love it. X-Multiply is probably the better game overall here though. Love the arms on the ship.

-Salamander Deluxe Pack. Love horizontal shooters as well? Get it!

-Thunderforce V. Same here. ;)

-Soukyugurentai. Such an incredible game. Very different from most shooters and an absolute crown jewel in any Saturn collection.

-Battle Garegga. Even though it's completely different, it compliments Soukyugurentai in a great way. Must have.

-Coin Puzzle Mojiya. Little known puzzler that somewhat works a bit like Money Idol Exchanger, but in Puyo Puyo style instead of Magical Drop style. Not sure if that made sense. :lol

Kyukyoku Tiger 2 Plus. Great sequel to a true classic.

Oh and Mizubaku Adventure. Great platform/arcade game!

Not gonna mention Radiant Silvergun as I don't want to attract the hate brigade.

Yes Boss!

meppi said:
Guardian Force. Special little shooter that doesn't get much attention because it's a bit different. Love it though.

Kyukyoku Tiger 2 Plus. Great sequel to a true classic.

Mizubaku Adventure. Great platform/arcade game!

Thanks for taking the time for a list. I've added the above to my to-buy short list. I've got most of those shooters listed. I still don't have Image Fight/X-Multiply because the Image Fights are on VC. It is a pricey disc, so is it worth it for X-Multiply alone?

Also, I've got a bunch of Salamanders, anything make the Saturn one special?

Thanks for recommending Guardian Force...exactly the type of title I'm looking to get for my Saturn...something not playable elsewhere.

I few things I've meant to post up...

DSC08278.jpg

Katamari Tribute PS3
Hakuna Matata PS3
*thanks buy/sell thread*

DSC08281.jpg

Pop n' Con 2 controller
Pop n Music Fever PS2
Drift Tengoku magazine *I get this sent to me monthly*

meppi said:

Napple Tale! I have to have a copy of this game... But it is quite pricey, isn´t it?

All these Sega love in this thread (this + Yes Boss post) made me bought my first Japanese Saturn game: Tryrush Deppy. And I do not have a system to play it (yet). I was always intrigued by this game, I needed to buy it. And it is still sealed (pictures afte it arrives in a few weeks).

Yes Boss!

Gloomfire said:

Really, this is a pick-up thread. Save the stuff for off-topic. I said I was done. I was just letting him know that he (or he might be a girl) should be in the habit of never exceeding 35% of the available balance...especially if he wants to build credit at an early age. I mentioned this because he was maxing out the cards...then paying it off every month, which seems like a mix of one good and one bad thing. The details are not really important but the discipline developed at an early age is what counts. Also, singing up for credit cards just for a deal, then canceling is also damaging his score, especially when starting out.

Been waiting for this one for well over a year. Finally here. Thanks Ignition (funny seeing the UTV logo on an american video game):

P1020276.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yes Boss! said:
Thanks for taking the time for a list. I've added the above to my to-buy short list. I've got most of those shooters listed. I still don't have Image Fight/X-Multiply because the Image Fights are on VC. It is a pricey disc, so is it worth it for X-Multiply alone?

Thanks for recommending Guardian Force...exactly the type of title I'm looking to get for my Saturn...something not playable elsewhere.

X-Multiply was pretty bland IMO... and Image Fight definitely isn't worth having at all.

The Saturn version of the Salamander pack has Salamander II which is pretty cool, and I'd assume it's a perfect port. At least, I'd rather have that then the PSP version that came out a couple years back.

My current dilemma is whether or not to pick up Sengoku Blade. It looks cool, and the girl on the cover has fantastic tits, but I'm also moderately concerned about how good the game is. Psikyo shmups have a horrible tendency to be mediocre, but some are excellent... and I'm not sure which camp this falls into.

Absinthe

Flek said:
nice shirt ! The game looks awesome ..

Kai Ozu said:
That shirt is fucking sick!

SnakeSlashRO said:
akmcbroom.... More info on middle shirt please. MUST HAVE.

Thank you..

Received the shirt from this man right here:

33b1pwj.jpg

during the ListenUp/1up Yours panel. They only had 3 of them to give away!! I wore it the next day at PAX to be stopped about a dozen times asking where I got it. Even the guy working at Ignition booth stopped me and asked about it.

YagizY

DiGi-C said:
My old Stanton C314's kicked the bucket so I bought a new setup

l_2c46e6fedb184cc9ad6b2caebdc186c4.jpg

and a PS3 Slim, its a good month :)

This has to be the most expensive pick up of the month. Quite a step up from the 314's.

Mobius 1

Dreweyes said:
Just picked up my College Diploma! Platinum trophy unlocked!

10735_611449513718_60711534_35236697_7173683_n.jpg

Well done, I have pretty much the same degree. Only that I never went pickup by diploma, and it's been almost 7 years. :lol

Yes Boss!

Chacranajxy said:
My current dilemma is whether or not to pick up Sengoku Blade. It looks cool, and the girl on the cover has fantastic tits, but I'm also moderately concerned about how good the game is. Psikyo shmups have a horrible tendency to be mediocre, but some are excellent... and I'm not sure which camp this falls into.

Man, the little quick-look I did with Sengoku Blade (mabe ten minutes) left me very impressed...kinda reminded me of a shmup version of Irem's Ninja Spirit. But I'm very easy to please.

And check out this. A full-color disc for the Wii?! Is this something new? Usually Wii games get the shittiest lowest-quality print jobs for their discs.

P1020279.jpg

Yes Boss!

Dreweyes said:
Hahaha, awesome.

Ha, I was in a similar situation. It took me two years to apply for my degree from UC since I did my last year abroad and did not really care about filing the paperwork. Finally got around to it two years later and, though I finished all my coursework in 2000, my degree says 2002 :lol

Also,

Free gift from NoA!

P1020281.jpg

And here is what it looks like inside with six games. Connects with invisible magnets and even the heavy-duty stylus has small club nintendo branding (nice touch for the nintendo nut):

P1020282.jpg

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
DrFunk said:
How's the music on Katamari Tribute?

Not as good as the others. I've played through most of it. It has a lot of remixes and to me they are hit and miss.

Volcynika

Yes Boss! said:
And check out this. A full-color disc for the Wii?! Is this something new? Usually Wii games get the shittiest lowest-quality print jobs for their discs.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg114/gregbuczek/P1020279.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Recent games have been using full color discs apparently. I know Little King's Story had one as well.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I recently got the homebrew channel on my Japanese Wii, so I can finally play American games. I think these three are pretty much it for now.

3901631265_c716c6c8d9_b.jpg

I ended up picking up Muramasa after listening to the Interactive Distractions podcast with Shane. Hyped me up even though I already have the Japanese version. :lol

meppi

Yes Boss! said:

No problem. Glad to be of help. :)

I'd say X-Multiply is certainly the better title. It has a certain R-Type vibe to it and the arms on the ship make for very interesting gameplay.
I wouldn't pay too much for it, but it's far from average.

Chiaroscuro said:
Napple Tale! I have to have a copy of this game... But it is quite pricey, isn´t it?
Normally it is, but I was lucky to pick it up along with all the other "sealed" games from a very nice guy in Japan. The game only cost me €18! and if they would tell me it's brand new I would believe them.
I say "sealed" because the games have been opened once or twice to make gameplay videos and take a couple pictures, but that's about it.

pirahna1 said:
Where did you pick up the magazine and what does it cover? I have all of the US Official Dreamcast magazines, I would love to have this in my collection too!
That one was picked up from ebay. But it's the UK unofficial Dreamcast magazine's final issue, nr.34. That's actually the back of the magazine, the other side has the colors inverted.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Some jackass cut me off in the fast lane then slammed on his brakes right away... I swerved to avoid hitting his car and my car spun out and into the center divider... GRRRR

So I picked up a phat repair bill.

*MAD*

Yes Boss - No it isn't a new thing. Little King's Story & Wii Sports Resort also both have full colored disks. I think Nintendo just started doing it recently. I love it...wonder what made them change their mind after all of these years :eek:

Hmm...maybe I should pick up that Club Nintendo DS Card holder thing you have...but I think Nintendo is putting up new stuff on CN this month so I'll wait.

Good Good, more people buying Muramasa unlike poor Little King's Story. Oh well, LKS is kinda meh =s

woodypop said:
Back of the book says it was printed in Hong Kong.

Thanks for checking!
I've grown picky when picking up hardcovers, I usually avoid those printed in China as I don't like the ink and paper they use there. HK is 50-50... And I already have the Japanese softcover version.
You're pretty happy with it, I suppose? Is it worth getting for the English text?

woodypop

memecomplex said:
Thanks for checking!
I've grown picky when picking up hardcovers, I usually avoid those printed in China as I don't like the ink and paper they use there. HK is 50-50... And I already have the Japanese softcover version.
You're pretty happy with it, I suppose? Is it worth getting for the English text?
No problem. I don't have a lot of experience with hardcovers. The only other one I have is Udon's Art of Capcom, and that, too, was printed in Hong Kong. (My softcover SF Eternal Challenge volumes were printed in Canada (English) and Japan (Japanese))

I'm very happy with the hardcover SF20: The Art of Street Fighter. Some of the translated insight from the artists is interesting, but I'd be hesitant to shell out $80 simply for an English edition, especially if I already had a Japanese one. You might want to wait for the SC English version, which looks to be available in about a month from Amazon for less than $30.

Yes Boss!

I picked it up last week. It was the last one I needed. I collect from HRAP3/VSHG and on (though my exceptions are for sticks related to earlier systems...pursuing Saturn currently..next PC-Engine). I've wanted one for the last 16 months. Stick was new, what I was looking for...thinking of having akuma do a dual-mod (he is in the bay area, so close) but I'm not so keen on the switch on the side...something more discreet would be nice. Here is a photo.

Yeah, this is one HOT MOTHER-FRICKEN' STICK. Hard to top, and I now understand the love-in.

P1020284.jpg

Yes Boss! said:
I picked it up last week. It was the last one I needed. I collect from HRAP3/VSHG and on (though my exceptions are for sticks related to earlier systems) Stick was new, what I was looking for...thinking of having akuma do a duel-mod ( he is in the bay area) but I'm not so keen on the switch on the side...something more discreet would be nice. Here is a photo.

He might be able to use the imp switch, which just requires you to hit the home/PS button. He did a good job with my TE, but it was a 360TE, which are easier to mod. But you can always give him a ring.

And you're a stick collecting fool. If you were collecting earlier sticks (PS and PS2), you might give Markman a run for his money.

BTW Markman, sorry to hear about your accident.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Yes Boss! said:
I picked it up last week. It was the last one I needed. I collect from HRAP3/VSHG and on (though my exceptions are for sticks related to earlier systems...pursuing Saturn currently..next PC-Engine). I've wanted one for the last 16 months. Stick was new, what I was looking for...thinking of having akuma do a dual-mod ( he is in the bay area) but I'm not so keen on the switch on the side...something more discreet would be nice. Here is a photo.

Yeah, this is one HOT MOTHER-FRICKEN' STICK. Hard to top, and I now understand the love-in.

Have you ever taken a photo with all your sticks together?

Yes Boss!

SnowWolf said:
Have you ever taken a photo with all your sticks together?

Nope,

A little too much now, perhaps. I remember I took a photo of 36 alkaline batteries and got a ton of shit for it (environment, etc). Personally, I'd like to see a family photo of my collection after two years but it might be too much excess for the thread. I'll do it if folks are interested...in another few months it might just be impossible, given the number.

Yes Boss!

Ph3n3x said:
dsc01483576x768.jpg

My room looks awesome and I feel awesome.

You should feel awesome.

I especially enjoy the tape for mounting. Do check out pennebaker's doc if you've not seen it yet. In my top five docs of all time.

Ph3n3x

Neo Member
Yes Boss! said:
You should feel awesome.

I especially enjoy the tape for mounting. Do check out pennebaker's doc if you've not seen it yet. In my top five docs of all time.

I still need to check it out! Not sure if the tape part was sarcasm, but regardless I'd just like to point out it's the only tape I have at the moment and will make an upgrade whenever I get around to it! :p

Yes Boss!

Ph3n3x said:
I still need to check it out! Not sure if the tape part was sarcasm, but regardless I'd just like to point out it's the only tape I have at the moment and will make an upgrade whenever I get around to it! :p

no sarcasm. lots of love. seems as if you are in a building of cinder-block (my childhood home was like that) and the tape is practical. lots of love. bob dylan rocks.

Top Bottom