• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
On aggregate - do you think he would be better or worse than the alternative?

I'm just honestly worried about expending a bunch of political capital on a fight the Dems will probably lose, but more importantly, if they WIN, I'm more worried about the alternative to be quite honest.

That depends on the alternative. Trump's other choices were DOA because the GOP wouldn't go with them.

On aggregate - do you think he would be better or worse than the alternative?

I'm just honestly worried about expending a bunch of political capital on a fight the Dems will probably lose, but more importantly, if they WIN, I'm more worried about the alternative to be quite honest.

The biggest foreign policy issues right now are:

1. Can NATO be preserved?
2. Is there any way to stop the genocide in Syria and South Sudan and the Phillippines from continuing?
3. What do we do when Venezuela falls to open warfare between its civilians and Maduro?
4. What do we do when Lebanon falls into civil war between its huge refugee population and Hezbollah (who wants to commit genocide against them)?
5. What do we do about Russia's interventions in Eastern Europe and Afghanistan?
6. How do we stop NK from developing an ICBM?
7. How do we stop Japan from building a nuclear weapon?
8. And, as always, how to maintain the balance so India and Pakistan don't fall into devastating war.

There are huge potential conflicts of interest in many of these issues and that's a very bad thing to have in these complex situations.

Political capital isn't a thing that exists.

royalan

You need both.

The Average Joe voter who you need to go out to the polls and vote for you. Keep yelling at then about healthcare and issues they (all of us) will feel in our daily lives.

The political types who you need for organization, to argue for you... Keep screaming and Russia and how our new President is a step away from reason.

If you can tie both into a strong central narrative, all the better

Ogodei

That depends on the alternative. Trump's other choices were DOA because the GOP wouldn't go with them.

Trump's other choices were DoA because the base wouldn't go for them. Romney would have been fine (especially as Romney's badness was mostly on the economic policy side of things).

Tillerson's probably sunk, though, as McCain's said he won't vote for the guy, which probably means Graham and Jeff Flake are on board, and all you need is three (unless Manchin defects).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Trump's other choices were DoA because the base wouldn't go for them. Romney would have been fine (especially as Romney's badness was mostly on the economic policy side of things).

Tillerson's probably sunk, though, as McCain's said he won't vote for the guy, which probably means Graham and Jeff Flake are on board, and all you need is three (unless Manchin defects).

Trump would never go for Romney. He was never a real option, Trump only wanted Romney to kiss the ring.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Tillerson is making moves to seem agreeable. Saying the right things and he struck a deal to divest his Exxon holdings and put his retirement package in a trust. We'll see.

You need both.

The Average Joe voter who you need to go out to the polls and vote for you. Keep yelling at then about healthcare and issues they (all of us) will feel in our daily lives.

The political types who you need for organization, to argue for you... Keep screaming and Russia and how our new President is a step away from reason.

If you can tie both into a strong central narrative, all the better

Of course you need both.

Greenwald believing that Russia had nothing to do with this continues to be laughable.

The biggest foreign policy issues right now are:

1. Can NATO be preserved?
2. Is there any way to stop the genocide in Syria and South Sudan and the Phillippines from continuing?
3. What do we do when Venezuela falls to open warfare between its civilians and Maduro?
4. What do we do when Lebanon falls into civil war between its huge refugee population and Hezbollah (who wants to commit genocide against them)?
5. What do we do about Russia's interventions in Eastern Europe and Afghanistan?
6. How do we stop NK from developing an ICBM?
7. How do we stop Japan from building a nuclear weapon?
8. And, as always, how to maintain the balance so India and Pakistan don't fall into devastating war.

There are huge potential conflicts of interest in many of these issues and that's a very bad thing to have in these complex situations.

Political capital isn't a thing that exists.

You also forgot China and Taiwan tensions rising and a chance of another global recession. I can see Congress having more influence in foreign affairs if Trump keeps screwing up.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You also forgot China and Taiwan tensions rising and a chance of another global recession. I can see Congress having more influence in foreign affairs if Trump keeps screwing up.

Congress only has so much influence on this though, if Trump wants to do something there isn't much they can stop him from doing.

Of course you need both.

Greenwald believing that Russia had nothing to do with this continues to be laughable.

Greenwald hired Rania Khalek and carried water for her after Khalek was fired from the ultimate edgelord anti-Semitic site on the left for giving a propaganda talk for the Assad regime at an event with speakers who have been convicted of war crimes.

Someone should probably hack Greenwald's emails just to be sure that everything's on the up and up.

Congress only has so much influence on this though, if Trump wants to do something there isn't much they can stop him from doing.

Not right now, but I think Congress will either pressure Trump as much as they can or introduce legislative work to gain more influence on foreign affairs. Like for trying to gut CIA, Congress will in the the government fiscal budget or a military one; they likely to keep funding and staffing at current or increased levels, introduce legislative sanctions of certain nations on their terms, decrease war powers act, etc. As the months/years go by during Trump's term it would be a battle between Trump and Congress.

My prediction, Trump is going to make A LOT of enemies in and out of the government. Republicans is going to play ball on many circumstances because they need to get some things passed like tax reform, Obamacare repeal, deregulation, cutting some programs back, etc. Although, if it comes politically viable to oppose Trump they absolutely will. Ryan and McConnell already stated they won't do infrastructure spending , tariffs, and a few more things. They might be more dysfunction in the government than in 2008-16, and I think voters will partially( especially Democrats and leaner) would be okay with that as long as in stops Trump from doing some actions.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is I'm sure a very common question these days.
Also someone probably catalogs all this paperwork at some level for record keeping in physical form despite you know... digital records existing.
IIRC their displays technically go into the public record, so they have to be.. storeable on paper, in some way.
Granted, but even then, can they not print out PowerPoint slides? C'mon.

People can care about more than one thing at a time and talk about more than one thing at a time.

I'm not talking about gaf

I'm talking about the people who don't vote or the people who don't care about what happens outside of their immediate lives. There are those people, and considering that each election a high number of the high constituency of America doesn't vote, saying 'people can care and talk about more than one thing' isn't what I'm trying to get at.

Something like Medicare or SS affects everyone. If people hear that 'OH tomorrow you wont' have health insurance' or 'tomorrow you won't have that SS check you've needed', they're going to get pissed off. If someone hears 'Oh btw Trump has been talking to Russians', some might care, most will not.

That's why it's smart of Sanders to attack Trump on Medicare, and SS. Because those are things that affects every american immediately. If you can't go to the doctor tomorrow because they took away your medicare, is going to immediately affect you compared to Trump hiring some Russian friendly people.

Greenwald hired Rania Khalek and carried water for her after Khalek was fired from the ultimate edgelord anti-Semitic site on the left for giving a propaganda talk for the Assad regime at an event with speakers who have been convicted of war crimes.

Someone should probably hack Greenwald's emails just to be sure that everything's on the up and up.

We need a Hispanic, liberal version of Julian Assange. Call him "Juan Asa".

I'm not talking about gaf

I'm talking about the people who don't vote or the people who don't care about what happens outside of their immediate lives. There are those people, and considering that each election a high number of the high constituency of America doesn't vote, saying 'people can care and talk about more than one thing' isn't what I'm trying to get at.

Something like Medicare or SS affects everyone. If people hear that 'OH tomorrow you wont' have health insurance' or 'tomorrow you won't have that SS check you've needed', they're going to get pissed off. If someone hears 'Oh btw Trump has been talking to Russians', some might care, most will not.

That's why it's smart of Sanders to attack Trump on Medicare, and SS. Because those are things that affects every american immediately. If you can't go to the doctor tomorrow because they took away your medicare, is going to immediately affect you compared to Trump hiring some Russian friendly people.

...I mean, every Dem agrees with you?

This entire day from the Dems has been Schumer and the rest attacking Ryan on health care.

FyreWulff

Granted, but even then, can they not print out PowerPoint slides? C'mon.

I think the other OTHER idea is that Congress can theoretically operate without electricity being required. Legally, they can all meet at a park somewhere and hold votes and shit.

In a way it's more governance continuum robustness

...I mean, every Dem agrees with you?

This entire day from the Dems has been Schumer and the rest attacking Ryan on health care.

Right. I don't understand why Crocodile said that people can care about more than one thing >_>

It's like...yeah, we can. But regular americans probably don't care about the grandeur scheme of things. Joe from Arkansas doesn't care who Trump appoints. But he still has a family that needs a doctor, and medicare allows him to do so.

Like...Dems attacking him from this angle is great. It's good. Russia stuff? It didn't stick. Not during the election, and not right now. And hey, I appreciate Dems are doing that, because I myself depend on Medicare, moreso than the Russian lovers Trump might appoint. Yes I care about both, but one is more immediate than the other.

Right. I don't understand why Crocodile said that people can care about more than one thing >_>

It's like...yeah, we can. But regular americans probably don't care about the grandeur scheme of things. Joe from Arkansas doesn't care who Trump appoints. But he still has a family that needs a doctor, and medicare allows him to do so.

Like...Dems attacking him from this angle is great. It's good. Russia stuff? It didn't stick. Not during the election, and not right now. And hey, I appreciate Dems are doing that, because I myself depend on Medicare, moreso than the Russian lovers Trump might appoint. Yes I care about both, but one is more immediate than the other.

The Russia stuff is more as a way to undermine the hold the GOP usually has on appearing favorable in foreign policy and "patriotism".

You realize that I was just making fun of Greenwald refusing to acknowledge that Russia had a role in this, right?

I'm pretty sure that driving a wedge between the president and the deep state is pretty helpful considering that the FBI literally just intervened to win an election.

The Republican Party of Virginia has an... interesting reaction to the Perriello announcement.

@VA_GOP
How long until @GovernorVA and the remnants of the Clinton machine strong arm @tomperriello out? #RiggedSystem #FeelTheBern

FyreWulff

Macy's cutting 10k jobs and closing 68 stores. Maybe if they talked about moving the stores to Mexico, Trump could have saved those jobs.

Forgive my ignorance, but why do you keep calling it "deep state"? I've never heard that term before.

It's a conspiracy theory joke that assumes the CIA controls the government. It's used by myself and a couple of others just to refer to important agencies that could influence the public and public policy.

Crocodile

My point is that of course its good for Sanders and others to attack the GOP on healthcare. That doesn't mean "the Russia thing" is no longer an issue or that no Democrat or Independent should ever mention the issue again.

The Republican Party of Virginia has an... interesting reaction to the Perriello announcement.

LOL WTF

If that works the Democratic party deserves to burn to the ground

studyguy

I was having a conversation with a trump supporter a little while ago and he literally said to me that "Mike Pence is a handsome man"

giphy.gif

Honestly I feel like Mike Pence's face lacks... I don't know. Character? It just feels like it's missing something. Might as well be a blank wall.

Teggy

Macy's cutting 10k jobs and closing 68 stores. Maybe if they talked about moving the stores to Mexico, Trump could have saved those jobs.

Trump said to boycott Macy's in the past. So... Trump effect.

He can't even claim that. They said they were going to close 100 stores in 2017 before he called for the boycott.

Just came to post about this. Wonder if Trump can resist rubbing it in.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Guys: CLEARING THE FIELD IS A BAD IDEA

DON'T DO IT AGAIN

They're worried they'll lose control of the Governorship, considering the shape the GOP is in I can't blame them for being nervous about moving further left. They should just let the primary play out though.

They're worried they'll lose control of the Governorship, considering the shape the GOP is in I can't blame them for being nervous about moving further left. They should just let the primary play out though.
Alternatively, they're annoyed that someone is daring to run a more left campaign even though they were content to have Third Way-ers run the place.

I can definitely blame them for looking at our current situation and thinking the solution is to clear the field before real primary battles. Let's not forget McAuliffe is the guy who was like "don't worry guys she's just lying about opposing TPP to get votes", which was probably true but definitely not politically smart.

They're probably also a little mad that this is a bit of a late move on Perriello's part.

That being said, hope Perriello wins out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom