• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

bender

What time is it?
One of the default characters looks pretty decent.

F5YEqwoaAAACMfA

I used the she pronoun for all the fat, bald, loud, and annoying Youtubers out there.

clarky

Gold Member
I came home from work last night with a set plan for how I was going to spend my session and it all fell apart within about 15 minutes.

I initially thought I'd knock out a couple main quests....but I just wanted to wrap up a side I was in the middle of and then get to it. And that just led to one more side. And another. One after another. And before I knew it I had to crash unless I wanted to get less than five hours of sleep. I just cant stop thinking about it, what Im going to do next, figuring out a plan of action.

The Bethesda Effect* in full effect here.

x7L9Tkz.gif

GOTfuckingY
We have another stage 5. This is not a drill people!

DeaDPo0L84

One thing that really kills the immersion beyond stuff that has already been mentioned is NOBODY reacts to you aiming a weapon at them or even firing in an open city. This coupled with enemies you can literally walk up to and shoot right in the head before they even notice you make it feel like there is very little AI at all.

R6Rider

Gold Member
One thing that really kills the immersion beyond stuff that has already been mentioned is NOBODY reacts to you aiming a weapon at them or even firing in an open city. This coupled with enemies you can literally walk up to and shoot right in the head before they even notice you make it feel like there is very little AI at all.
I also noticed NPCs don't react at all to you being in areas you shouldn't be.

Sign next to a door says Security Personal Only? Have at it, nobody will notice.

Interesting news which i never heard of in the reviews. There's no spoiler in the video.

Yep, I've been trying to tell people not to rush it. Just play your first playthrough normally. Don't really agree with Cohh calling NG+ a roguelike, but for the purposes of explaining to new players without spoilers, it gets the job done.
Is this a spoiler? Cause...it seems so, if I'm wrong sorry.
It's an explanation of the final mission... yeah I'd say that's a spoiler lol

GymWolf

Gold Member
When facing a vendor, open the console, and type:

player.additem f X

X=the amount of money you wish to add to said vendor. But again just make sure you are targeting the vendor and not yourself, otherwise the money will just go into your pockets. Which I guess if that happens maybe you won't need to sell anything...
I don't like to use this stuff but thanks anyway.

DeaDPo0L84

Sign next to a door says Security Personal Only? Have at it, nobody will notice.
Yea it's really odd. Again it's one of those things where the game does somethings really well and others it seems they completely overlooked it altogether. Andreja will at least comment if you take your gun out or shoot in a civilian space, but there is no consequence for doing so, she even takes her gun out while complaining that you took your gun out lol.

DeaDPo0L84

Yep, I've been trying to tell people not to rush it. Just play your first playthrough normally. Don't really agree with Cohh calling NG+ a roguelike, but for the purposes of explaining to new players without spoilers, it gets the job done.

It's an explanation of the final mission... yeah I'd say that's a spoiler lol
I thought it was a dumb chatGPT thing so I read it for a bit and then I noped right out, kinda shitty to just throw that stuff out there.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yep, I've been trying to tell people not to rush it. Just play your first playthrough normally.

Same. Even if you go by what some have said that "it's like Nier automata".

Who the fuck ran through Nier Automata the first time through either, eh ?

Very odd thing from not just one, but quite a bunch of reviewers, to recommend people to skip all the universe building and just mainline the central quest in a Bethesda RPG of all things.

That being said, I am also fully ready to eat crow if it DOES turn out to be something like that lol.

But I'm definitely not doing that my first time.

Last edited:
Yeah the mantis quest was good, the suit looks nice but I don't really like the helmet, I like being able to see my character's face.
The game crashes about once a hour for me. I quick save every 3-5 minutes.

Standard Bethesda launch stuff for me.
That sucks, 50 hours so far and zero crashes for now.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
NPC is actively staring at the ceiling to avoid eye contact.
Haha yeah unfortunately I was standing before I entered photo mode and she was looking right at me, but then in photo mode I switched to that sexy ass pose. Wish they had an option to make all the characters lock eyes with you in photo mode.

I'm curious how much unique dialogue there is based on background. I love the flavor of the space scoundrel but on the other hand I feel that point in pistols is wasted on me. Also sunk in more time into the game. Definitely my favorite Bethesda game so far. NPCs have a lot to say, quests that really build up the setting, and I just have to reiterate how much better the voice acting is this time around. Gameplay is still jank but I guess that part of the charm. I kinda miss having VATS but the shooting is competent enough for an RPG.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Something about arriving into orbit at a new planet and just seeing either a lone ship or abandoned station just hovering there genuinely creeps me out.

Edit: And sure enough, I boarded and now we’re Dead Space. Wonderful 😬

Last edited:
Something about arriving into orbit at a new planet and just seeing either a lone ship or abandoned station just hovering there genuinely creeps me out.

Edit: And sure enough, I boarded and now we’re Dead Space. Wonderful 😬
I don't know if I am just a being a pussy but some of the interiors in Starfield creep me out. I wasn't expecting to scream a couple of times in this game. I screamed less in Resident Evil games than this. There is something really unnerving about the little creepy insect aliens in this game. Even on barren planets, the fucking scorpion looking fucks scare me.

And don't get me started on that Mining Platform where it's full of these aliens called swarmlings. They look like fish and a face hugger at same time and the worst part is? They swarm you in PACKS. And there is a big momma that spawns babies and it's not fun fighting them. I actually had to quit out and take a break after fighting them.

I think the reason why it feels scary is because it's a lot more realistic and believable that something like that can exist in reality. I mean, there is some weird looking shit already in the ocean on planet earth. And you have to he incredibly ignorant to think that there is no alien wildlife on other planets in some shape or form.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Picked up a month of XCloud to give it a spin.

Played a couple hours.

Hmm. Not much good to say so far tbh.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I don't know if I am just a being a pussy but some of the interiors in Starfield creep me out. I wasn't expecting to scream a couple of times in this game. I screamed less in Resident Evil games than this. There is something really unnerving about the little creepy insect aliens in this game. Even on barren planets, the fucking scorpion looking fucks scare me.

And don't get me started on that Mining Platform where it's full of these aliens called swarmlings. They look like fish and a face hugger at same time and the worst part is? They swarm you in PACKS. And there is a big momma that spawns babies and it's not fun fighting them. I actually had to quit out and take a break after fighting them.

I think the reason why it feels scary is because it's a lot more realistic and believable that something like that can exist in reality. I mean, there is some weird looking shit already in the ocean on planet earth. And you have to he incredibly ignorant to think that there is no alien wildlife on other planets in some shape or form.

My last post. About checking out that derelict ship..

That was a hell of a fucking experience. And it wasn’t even a mission. I have never felt that kind of horror tension in a Bethesda game before. Bravo on that.

twilo99

Gold Member

Played a couple hours.

You are somewhere between stage 2 and 3 of the process.. give it a few more sessions lol

How's the cloud version? I haven't tried it yet

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member

Played a couple hours.

You are somewhere between stage 2 and 3 of the process.. give it a few more sessions lol

Straight up stage one there. This could go either way. Either hes completely cured before stage 2 or we'll have another stage 5'er on our hands. Too early to tell.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Image quality isn’t the greatest, but apparently I should be using Edge rather than Chrome. Otherwise the latency isn’t too bad.

GeForce Now is significantly better but that doesn’t have Starfield support.

I'm curious how much unique dialogue there is based on background. I love the flavor of the space scoundrel but on the other hand I feel that point in pistols is wasted on me. Also sunk in more time into the game. Definitely my favorite Bethesda game so far. NPCs have a lot to say, quests that really build up the setting, and I just have to reiterate how much better the voice acting is this time around. Gameplay is still jank but I guess that part of the charm. I kinda miss having VATS but the shooting is competent enough for an RPG.

So weird there's no VATS..

There are several of these immersion killers. This kind of thing in an rpg really sucks and I'm baffled that Bethesda didn't think it was important to program for these situations!

twilo99

Gold Member
Image quality isn’t the greatest, but apparently I should be using Edge rather than Chrome. Otherwise the latency isn’t too bad.

GeForce Now is significantly better but that doesn’t have Starfield support.

Edge does have a few enhancements. You can also try it through the xbox app for PC, not sure if that just uses an edge window or not..

edit. unless of course you are not on Windows and then the web browser is the only option,

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

Played a couple hours.

I was reminded of the THX sound when I touched the magical space ore and was transported across the universe. That has to count for something.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There is SO much content and its all a step above ubisoft brand of 'content'. Its like old Bioware making a mass effect with unlimited budget.

Yes. I keep going back to "this is like a next-gen Mass Effect 1" numerous times.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Edge does have a few enhancements. You can also try it through the xbox app for PC, not sure if that just uses an edge window or not..

edit. unless of course you are not on Windows and then the web browser is the only option,
Yeah, on my MacBook, don’t have my gaming pc with me.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yeah, on my MacBook, don’t have my gaming pc with me.

That's how I gamed for 3 months last year. Use Edge, it has a sharpening option. Depending on your connection you can get some 60fps on Xcloud. I played through the entire Halo Winter Update that way.

LQX

I like it so far, but what the hell were they thinking with this map design? I cant find half these fucking places. The map design alone is worth a 10% reduction in score.

I'm playing on very hard and gunfights are challenging enough. I need to take cover, retreat, heal. But space battles, man. I'm having my ass kicked. By the time I manage to take one's shield down, his wingmates just blew me up. 1v1 I can handle. But it's usually 3v1.
In Everspace 2 I would hide behind asteroids or debris to recharge my shield but in Starfield usually there isn't cover nearby. Am I doing something wrong?
I switched the difficulty to normal, and it's much more manageable. Each shot now takes a significant chunk off their shields.

clarky

Gold Member
I like it so far, but what the hell were they thinking with this map design? I cant find half these fucking places. The map design alone is worth a 10% reduction in score.
Love it or hate it, its completely intentional. Think they want you to explore and learn a place rather than just follow a bunch of markers. I hated it at first, very frustrating. But i know my way around the 3 or 4 big places I've been to its fine, and the bonus is im still finding new stuff in places when i revisit them.

The game definitely make you put in the work.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Ship building is starting to piss me off. Keep getting an error about Landing Bay needing to be connected to the Cockpit and it sure as hell is.

Just started, only have about an hour or so invested so far. Graphics are surprisingly good for Bethesda. They've really improved the 3rd person view, first game from them where this seems like a nice option to play with.

The first bit of dog-fighting plays mostly like what you'd expect from this genre, as in there doesn't really feel like there is much movement in your ship at all. Comes across more like you are stationary and the enemy fighters are flying around you. I guess it is really hard to create that feeling of movement when you don't have the ground passing beneath you like in Ace Combat or something like that. This is a criticism I've had for all the space fighter games though, maybe it is just me.

clarky

Gold Member
Ship building is starting to piss me off. Keep getting an error about Landing Bay needing to be connected to the Cockpit and it sure as hell is.
I *think* it means the landing bay needs a direct route to the cockpit, ie though a habitat, not actually connected directly to the cockpit. I had the same issue last night but sacked it off before i tried it as it was pissing me off as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom