• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Just about to start the game tonight.......

But should I play on normal or hard??
And should I play to a certain point in the main quest before doing whatever I want??? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Chukhopops

The easiest way to quickly level up is to go to a distant high level solar system, find a planet with fauna and just kill everything that moves. You can get 100+ XP for a single kill. And because we're EXPLORER, killing counts as scanning... so yeah, we're doing science stuff with good old gun powder.
Wait what? Is it because of a perk? I can’t scan dead creatures currently.

mansoor1980

ie657i8ynpmb1.png

zc3ydmqxnpmb1.png

It's kinda odd I haven't met a single random companion yet in the 50 hours I've played, I'm sure the few main ones are tied to the main quest, but there were supposed to be 20+ companions to be found in the world.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
make sure to equip your companion! All you need is to give them 1 bullet for whatever weapon you equip. Also equip 1 grenade and they can use it unlimited times.

I just gave Marika a shrapnel grenade and she’s throwing this thing like a quarterback. It’s pretty great.

Dunnas

It's kinda odd I haven't met a single random companion yet in the 50 hours I've played, I'm sure the few main ones are tied to the main quest, but there were supposed to be 20+ companions to be found in the world.
You would have, you just don't know it. The other companions are the people that you can hire for your crew.

ZehDon

Twelve hours in. Found The Well on New Atlantis, explored a couple of forested biomes on random planets, and then I landed on Neon and started the Corpo quest line. The variety, density, scale, and breadth that this game is throwing around is really something to behold. Oh, and realised I can turn Helmets and Suits off in appropriate arears automatically - so now I run around in third person, which is something I've never done in Bethesda games before.

One negative that's sticking out so far is the encapsulation of space. It's a minor thing in the grand scheme of the game, but space really is just little boxes for whichever activity. It keeps everything tight, but the trade-off is space in the game feels like a side activity, as opposed to a main pillar. It's something I'd like to see expanded on in DLC or an expansion pack. Not remotely close to a deal breaker, but definitely an area for improvement.

You would have, you just don't know it. The other companions are the people that you can hire for your crew.
Confused High Quality GIF

It's a minor thing in the grand scheme of the game, but space really is just little boxes for whichever activity
It's not though, you can actually fly to the planet you are "orbiting", it just takes hours to do so; I'm sure someone will create some ship super speed mod so you can actually fly around planets.

Being able to move from celestial body to another without a loading screen would certainly help.
There's even a transition already for leaving the planet that isn't a cutscene.
I've stolen plenty of ships while they are taking off, and if you are fast enough when the pilot iniates take off, you can actually see the ship moving up to the clouds and then you get a 1 second black loading screen and it resumes everything as is exactly in space; the inverse is probably true as well.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Have any of you guys run into these? They're basically Geico ships. Telling me my "ship warranty" is about to expire and offering me all of these different level "packages" of protection. Like what the fuck? No one ever told me about any ship warranties :pie_diana:

krshmsT.jpg

It's happened twice to me so far. The second time it started pestering me I said fuck it and opened fire. The whole thing just seemed so shady lol And sure enough the ship bailed. I havent had any authorities on my ass for opening fire and I havent run into the ship since. So good :pie_gsquint:

Kacho

Gold Member
On PC, holding MMB hides the UI and unlocks freelook. Is there a similar function on the controller?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Have any of you guys run into these? They're basically Geico ships. Telling me my "ship warranty" is about to expire and offering me all of these different level "packages" of protection. Like what the fuck? No one ever told me about any ship warranties :pie_diana:

krshmsT.jpg

It's happened twice to me so far. The second time it started pestering me I said fuck it and opened fire. The whole thing just seemed so shady lol And sure enough the ship bailed. I havent had any authorities on my ass for opening fire and I havent run into the ship since. So good :pie_gsquint:

These random space encounters is why I stopped fast traveling from the quest menu.

Always worth it going to space and choosing a location manually.

adamsapple

Is anyone playing with the damage numbers on ?

I haven't and I just recently turned cross-hairs off as well since my guns all have laser sights. Make the HUD as minimal as possible.

mitchman

Gold Member
I haven't been as hooked on a game since Skyrim. Main story be damned, the side story lines is where it's at! I recommend new players start with the freestar collection story line because
of the very nice reward, a badass skip, that will be useful in later gameplay.
I next did the pirate story line with the undercover stuff, also great stuff. The hook is real.

adamsapple

I haven't been as hooked on a game since Skyrim. Main story be damned, the side story lines is where it's at! I recommend new players start with the freestar collection story line because
of the very nice reward, a badass skip, that will be useful in later gameplay.
I next did the pirate story line with the undercover stuff, also great stuff. The hook is real.

I'm super excited to start the Crimson Fleet story, still doing the UC Vanguard quest line and based on how things are happening, sounds like I'm near the end of it.

Reactions: Isa

Topher

Gold Member
Found this random quest last night just flying around. Got a distress call from a planet. Some woman named "Jane" was holed up in a complex overrun with Spacers. Figured this would be a short one so I flew down to kill the Spacers, receive the glorious praise from "Jane" for saving her life (and hopefully some credits) and then go back what to what I was doing. Quick, easy.........nope. Turned into one of the more involved random encounters I've had in the game with a pretty good story and several well thought out characters. Not going to spoil any of it, but if you come across "Jane", don't ignore her.

See.....this is the stuff that elevates this game. This very well could have been a quick and easy small quest that serves as filler, but Bethesda made it much more involved than that. I had to see this thing out to the end and that's why I was up to fucking 2:39 in the morning. This game will take you down so many rabbit holes man. I love it.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Pleasantly surprised by flight controls. Was expecting way more jankiness. You can have some fun with it.

Just 2 hrs in and holy shit it's full of mechanics I don't understand. Even simple lockpicking unable to do (novice level).

Seems to be a pretty complex title. Will need to spend a lot of time just learning the ropes.
This is one problem I have with the game, apart from the battle music which I wish you could turn off. At first it appears like a complex game but actually it isnt at all, in fact I think Fallout 4 was more complex than Starfield.

There arent many systems and mechanics in the game that have any depth. The ship building is really cool and pretty deep once you get going. The outpost system though, really isnt. I wish they had taken what they did with Fallout 4 and really gone to town with it, but if anything its dumbed down from that game and also doesnt really have much use. It seems more like its there if you like building stuff but has no real impact on the game at all.

Might seem like I'm shitting on the game, but tbh I'm I big fan of Bethesda games and I do think this is their best work to date, I was expecting a really complex game with deep slice of life elements when actually its a pretty simple game that involves more RP elements than their other games but less complicated mechanics

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Found this random quest last night just flying around. Got a distress call from a planet. Some woman named "Jane" was holed up in a complex overrun with Spacers. Figured this would be a short one so I flew down to kill the Spacers, receive the glorious praise from "Jane" for saving her life (and hopefully some credits) and then go back what to what I was doing. Quick, easy.........nope. Turned into one of the more involved random encounters I've had in the game with a pretty good story and several well thought out characters. Not going to spoil any of it, but if you come across "Jane", don't ignore her.

See.....this is the stuff that elevates this game though. This very well could have been a quick and easy small quest that serves as filler, but Bethesda made it much more involved than that. I had to see this thing out to the end and that's why I was up to fucking 2:39 in the morning. This game will take you down so many rabbit holes man. I love it.

That quest sounds like it could be its own game. A lot of the quests feel that way.

soulbait

I saw something funny last night in my session and I really wish I got a capture of it. I was taking off from New Atlantis after dropping off my loot in the chest in the Lodge and doing some trading. I went a little too fast for Sam to keep up, and as my ship was taking off you can see him sprinting towards the ship as if he was missing the school bus. It was hilarious.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Nothing is coming up. I flew right up to it next to the docking ports but nothing is happening. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
hit the scan button and press dock

The game doesn't explain anything. They need to have on screen prompts for the first few time of doing anything.

The onboarding experience is almost as bad as Destiny, almost.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Man I really want to play this; but I also read people over hyping TotK, and later ended up regretting spending $70 on that. My better judgement is telling me to wait on it.
A month of game pass? I think still have x5 2 week trial codes i could send you one of those if youd like to try the game out.

Edit: the game is fantastic if it clicks with you but its definitely not for everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Freeman76

Man I really want to play this; but I also read people over hyping TotK, and later ended up regretting spending $70 on that. My better judgement is telling me to wait on it.
I dunno man if you played and enjoyed their other games then you will definitely like this, its Bethesda through and through, and the best they have done in many ways. Shame it doesnt have a bit more depth to it but other than that its superb

A month of game pass? I think still have x5 2 week trial codes i could send you one of those if youd like to try the game out.
If I’m gonna get it I’m gonna get it physical. I think I have a few GP trial codes myself, but I don’t really have the time to play it either. I appreciate the offer though.

I spent like 4 hours trying to figure out how to mine cobalt and send it to Jemison. Eventually figured it out. LoL

My next job is survey a planet for an explorer group near the Cheyenne system. Haven't even touched the main quest yet. I basically just live in the world and have a job haha.

This is the kind of shit I wish Red Dead had. Imagine if you could survey undiscovered land in that game and get paid for it. It would do so much for immersion.

Starfield really makes me want an Oregon trail/Lewis and Clark type game where you travel the U.S. on foot trying to survive.

Top Bottom