• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Bg3 feels way hardcore than this in basically every aspect to me.

From roleplay freedom to sandbox gameplay...

Do we have a verdict on this?

Starfield being simulation style rpg won't serve role playing aspects on a platter.

In Skyrim you get to them at least 50-60 hrs into the game.

Orbital2060

Not sure if I've done that mission (I've def met Myeong before) but yeah some of the 3 ship encounters are pretty tough. I've found success by just blasting head on with them for a few seconds until you get hit then activate boosts and veer off in a diagonal. Then pull a U-turn once you have just gotten past them. Proceed to shoot them in the back and just kinda repeat. I can usually get one ship down on the first U-turn I do, then it becomes a lot easier once you get one ship down.
Thanks, yeah sounds like I need to practise a little bit. I forgot about the boosters, I will try that.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Do we have a verdict on this?

Starfield being simulation style rpg won't serve role playing aspects on a platter.

In Skyrim you get to them at least 50-60 hrs into the game.

BG3 is CRPG, it's not even in the same genre as Starfield. It's trying to replicate tabletop role playing experience and yeah, it's amazing at it.

I wouldn't compare BG3 to Starfield, these games are so, so, so, so different.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
BG3 and Starfield comparisons are so idiotic. 2 completely different games.

One is stuck on rails in a in-depth DnD setting as a Isometric CRPG and the other is a full on Sci-Fi Universe across multiple Star Systems as a FPS or TPS.

Not to mention Starfield's story content won't be complete until Shattered Space anyway.

Not sure why people want to shitpost on whose game is better.

BG3 is CRPG, it's not even in the same genre as Starfield. It's trying to replicate tabletop role playing experience and yeah, it's amazing at it.

The comparison is getting pretty tired, yeah. It's funny how 2 completely different games can be in the same genre. I'm trying to imagine someone playing Starfield and thinking... gee I don't like this. I should play Baldur's Gate instead. It's like comparing Tetris Effect to Madden (they both have competitive MP).

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
New gun! I like Va'Ruun design.

DHkYJni.png

DosGamer

I have over 30 hours invested so far and just hit level 20. I honestly feel like I should be higher level. Only good thing is I saved up for the dream house before starting the perk mission. I figured its easier to save 125K instead of dumping 500 credits a week.

Funny thing is ... I just realized I can put this in 3rd person last night .... after 30 hours... How did I not know this?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I have over 30 hours invested so far and just hit level 20. I honestly feel like I should be higher level. Only good thing is I saved up for the dream house before starting the perk mission. I figured its easier to save 125K instead of dumping 500 credits a week.

Funny thing is ... I just realized I can put this in 3rd person last night .... after 30 hours... How did I not know this?
I switch between 3rd and 1st constantly. Makes the game for me. If it was 1st only I may not even be playing it that long. Really wish Cyberpunk had that flexibility.

Nah hah not that far apart..

Tetris Effect is an absolute gem btw.
I love Tetris Effect. I just wouldn't tell someone who loves Starfield that Baldur's Gate is the game for them. I have a friend currently loving Starfield who is interested in Baldur's Gate. I told him it was turn-based with a hidden grid essentially and he was no longer interested. He's also the type of person who would have bought the game blindly and hating it.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I just hit level 50 after 110+ hours. 2 things:

1. before the release my biggest fear was that I'd hit tile boundary constantly. Hasn't happened yet. Not a single time.
2. scanning stuff looked boring but it's one of the most relaxing things to do in the game. I love completing Constellation mission board objectives and achieving 100% stan.

OK, back to the game. Evening session starts now.

Punished Miku

I just hit level 50 after 110+ hours. 2 things:

1. before the release my biggest fear was that I'd hit tile boundary constantly. Hasn't happened yet. Not a single time.
2. scanning stuff looked boring but it's one of the most relaxing things to do in the game. I love completing Constellation mission board objectives and achieving 100% stan.

OK, back to the game. Evening session starts now.
Same for me on both points. If you can get into some collectathon games or farming games, stuff of that nature, it is a cool optional activity.

They really needed to buy the rights to Hardspace Shipbreaker and just fully mod in that entire game as a side job at large space stations lol. It is part of Starfield in my head canon.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Same for me on both points. If you can get into some collectathon games or farming games, stuff of that nature, it is a cool optional activity.

They really needed to buy the rights to Hardspace Shipbreaker and just fully mod in that entire game as a side job at large space stations lol. It is part of Starfield in my head canon.

I wonder if Fess Fess enjoys this part of the game. He's a huge No Man's Sky fan.

I really need to play that game when I'm done with Starfield.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Are the powers broken or underpowered?

I unlocked two (gravity blast and gravity field) but they don't do anything? I expected stuff to float and people to get knocked back, but nothing really happens? I feel that this was part of something bigger that didn't make it into the game.
Possible NG+ spoiler. Don't read if you don't want to know
My understanding is that NG+ is where you get upgraded versions of powers you already have and base versions of ones you didn't unlock on the prior playthrough

Also
I wrote off the power that creates an oxygen field around you for a bit, but it comes very handy in sprinting in areas where your oxygen gets used up fast. You have infinite oxygen while this is active and if you have your CO2 built up, it'll automatically drop it

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I meant that they both require a substantial time investment to be fully enjoyed, otherwise yes, I can see how BG3 can be considered more hardcore than Starfield.
I don't relate time investment with being hardcore tbh, a lot of content can be time consuming without being deep at all, there is just a lot of it.

P.s. people making absurd comparison like tetris and madden, cmon...

The games have WAY more similarities than different things, your actions success being decided by a dice roll doesn't change the fact that you still have way more of those actions to do compared to starfield, no matter how you do them.

Starfield also has dice rolls for discussions skills if we wanna enter this rabbit hole...

Let's just avoid alltogether the comparison because it is not pretty for starfield...

And i didn't even played more than half of act 1 of bg3 (i'm waiting for a completed third act befiore going forward)

GymWolf

Gold Member
Game too hardcore. Can't get past half of Act 1. Buggy Act 3 too strong.

Must now concede that Starfield isn't as hardcore as BG3 now. Cappa. Finis. Checkmate.
waltergotme.gif

I'm shit at cprgs but bg3 on normal was pretty doable, i'm probably gonna switch to tactician, get my ass kicked and then return to normal, i heard that act 2 is tougher.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
25 hours in, did 2 main missions and about 20 misc quests which i assume are kinda like side quests. I figure this is about 10%-15% of my total time i would play, Awesome.

Things i didn't like: 30fps, no way around it, it looks bad on my TV, after 5 years of maybe playing 10 games running at 30fps it's hard, yeah yeah i know PC ver exist but it's not an option for me, hard to fault Starfield for not having 60fps on console as we see more and more games starting to have hard time achieving 60fps on consoles but it is what it is and for now graphically i enjoy SF less then other games.

Another big minus is loading, scope is great.. i would rather have a more optimized game with less loading then a huge game that has consistent loading.
Which leads me to exploring.. for now i enjoyed exploring more in FO3 and 4, in FO i would see some building i was curious about and i was leaving the mission i was and follow that building.. that is the plus in one big map... you explore and suddenly see more paths and more things that would make you want to go there. In SF so far i like the exploring of the big cities but the way the planets are, that you need to land in nowhere and then look for POI.. so far i ilke it less.

Minor things i didn't like.. ffs we are in 2023 is it so hard to give players some hud options?

Now end rant.. this game is awesome.. all those creatures on the review thread can keep enjoying hating and i keep enjoying this crack. :)
It's Fallout in space, i don't care for flying your ship into orbit or whatever.. i enjoy every minute and feel sorry that i have to work/sleep and can't continue playing, did some bounty missions for the bank... was great, side missons are very fun, combat is great and i like the art and music, also space combat is nice and i like that you could talk to other ships.

For now i would rate it 8, some issues that without it would rate higher, they have a very good foundation for future Starfield and with some tweaks it could be something even better.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Go sleep on the Moon, 1 hour there advance the global time by 26 hours or so (I don't remember the exact number).

The local time it tied to the movement of the planets around others and the Sun, looks like a day is 24 hours on any planet, but 24 hours spanned on a full sun cycle, which can depend from planet to planet as they don't rotate at the same speed on themselves and around their sun.
On Earth 24h is 24h, on the moon, we only see one side of it as it's tidally locked to Earth, it also cycles from full moon to full moon (a "moon day") in 29 days or so.

Yesterday I went to visit the Moon and it was like 6:35 AM local time, I thought "Great, it's the morning and I'll have plenty of day light".
30 minutes after or so, the sun did not move much, I check the time in the pause menu, 6:45 !
Then I understood they replicated the real world logic, a day on the Moon is 29 Earth days.
I found a cave with beds (I did not try in my ship), and sleeping 1 hour local time on the Moon advanced the global time for more than 26 hours.

I found this was fantastic to experience that, it's logical and I did not thought of it at first.
Just went to Venus to check this out, since on Venus a day there is equal to 243 days on Earth….and it took pretty much a full 24 hours just to move it a minute on the clock. The interesting part though was that the minute ticked down instead of up (It went from 20:30 local time to 20:29) which I’m guessing is because Venus rotates in reverse to Earth and the other planets, so it basically ends up running the clock backwards.

Last edited:

I know right?

People talking about Starfield makes me wonder if it's not an rpg at all? If player has even a little bit of impact on world then it becomes a matter of comparing apples and oranges.

In Starfield I think even a simple act of stealing a ship can be seen as role playing.

Ofcourse you don't get these choices in BG3. There you talk and decide fate of the world and role you wanna play.

So apples and oranges.

Punished Miku

Yes, game is P-A-C-K-E-D with details. Another example. All Constellation members have patches on their space suits that match their perks.
I also love how the Starfield logo matches the scanner circle.

The game is just an art designer's dream. They were just let loose on this world for years.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Just went to Venus to check this out, since on Venus a day there is equal to 243 days on Earth….and it took pretty much a full 24 hours just to move it a minute on the clock. The interesting part though was that the minute ticked down instead of up (It went from 20:30 local time to 20:29) which I’m guessing is because Venus rotates in reverse to Earth and the other planets, so it basically ends up running the clock backwards.
Interesting, I'll go there to check a few things too.
What happens if you want to sleep there ? As the local time goes backwards, I wonder how they handled that.

Is Mercury landable too ? I did not check yet.

soulbait

If anyone got contraband they need to offload, there is a vendor on The Den spacestation in the Wolf system that will buy them, no questions asked. And no scans when docking.

About 1650 credits for one contraband (of human organs).

You can also trade contraband with the bartender at the Red Mile. You do not get scanned going into that system.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I just fall back on my Star Fox training and do ineffective barrel rolls.
I just fall back on my "trying the demo of colony wars on ps1 and deciding that i hate space combat" training and just run away or abuse the bullet time mode.

Thank god for choosing the initial perks that let me repare at random stuff if i have companions with ship skills.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Anyone else running with Hunted trait? It's the funniest shit ever. You get chased by Bounty Hunters and these idiots are chased by Bounty Defenders. A group of imbeciles that defend you until the bounty on your head is high enough and only then they want to take you down. I'm killing both, stilling their gear and ships. Zero F's given.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
Interesting, I'll go there to check a few things too.
What happens if you want to sleep there ? As the local time goes backwards, I wonder how they handled that.

Is Mercury landable too ? I did not check yet.
Sleeping screws it up. It’ll move the clock forward instead of backwards, and the difference is only 1 hour to 4 UTC (I’m guessing so you don’t end up spending almost a year in game waiting for 24 hours lol).

And yeah you can land on Mercury.

soulbait

As I have a barely functional outpost, I mostly unload all of my resources at the basement of the Lodge. There are two unlimited chests to store stuff. The only downside is that for some strange reason the workbenches and research lab doesn't recognise the resources and you have to transfer them from container to your inventory to use them. I think Grounded did it better - as long as the workbench was in in the near vicinity of the chest, you didn't have to get resources out of it.
Wait. There are unlimited containers in the basement? I have been offloading stuff in my bedroom upstairs, and then when I want to craft, I grab all the resources and go downstairs to the basement, running out of breathe in the process.

GymWolf

Gold Member
  1. You can't die from sprinting / running while overweight.

Lmao the dude never heard about fatties getting an heart attack?

Also

NANI dafuq what? since fucking when? so i can just let the healh bar go down but i can't die for that? fuck me :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Yes, big one on the floor and one (iirc) right next to research lab table. A small container.
Time to diversify my storage solutions.

You using the thrusters? You can spin by changing your flight mode as long as you are Rank 2 in piloting. Hold RB on Controller I think. Something the game doesn't really tell you.

I haven't put anything into piloting yet but I'll definitely try that out. Good to know.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
This pic reminded me of a joke from my youth:

3 kids are bragging about how much tall their grandpas are.

The first kid says: my grandpa is so tall that when he look down, all the cars are so small.

The second kid says: tsk, that's nothing, when my grandpa lift his arm he can touch the clouds with his hand.

The third kid ask to the second kid: does your grandpa feel something warm and soft when he touch the clouds?

The second kid: yes, how do you know?

the third kid: those are my grandpa's balls.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
This pic reminded me of a joke from my youth:

3 kids are bragging about how much tall their grandpas are.

The first kid says: my grandpa is so tall that when he look down, all the cars are so small.

The second kid says: tsk, that's nothing, when my grandpa lift his arm he can touch the clouds.

The third kid says to the second kid: does your grandpa feel something warm and soft when he touch the clouds?

The second kid: yes, how do you know?

the third kid: those are my grandpa's balls.

Must be an Italian joke, never heard it before!

Top Bottom