• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-3 – Let Off Some STEAM Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozium

I played through like 6-7 puzzles in Bad Rats and was slightly entertained... I don't know why it gets all the hate it does...

lol

Beelzebubs

Nope. Idling works too.

There's a JaseC guide that's better but I don't have it bookmarked.

Edit- wait never mind. Misunderstood, sorry. Posting when tired does that :p

But don't idle too many games as it's worthless. Gonna quote this from Steamgifts, better explanation than I can be bothered typing up.

You can still multi-idle, at least with normal Steam. But while you used to get twice the card drops in the same ammount of time when you run two games at a time, you now still only get the normal ammount of cards.. guess this doesn´t make any sense explained like that, so lets make it more clear:

Past: Run ONE game to get ONE card every 30 minutes - Run TWO games, get TWO cards every 30 minutes.
Now: Run ONE game to get ONE card every 30 minutes - Run TWO games, get ONE card every 30 minutes.

The important part opposed to "can´t multi-idle" is, that you can still fire up multiple games when you are AFK for serveral hours.. when you return, you will have collected all carddrops for multiple games instead of just one.

In my experience this works well for up to three games at a time.. with more than three it sometimes worked for me, but sometimes I suddenly only got like 1 card every 2 hours or even none at all..
In addition to that, running a game without card-drops side-by-side with one that still drops, halves the ammount of cards per hour.. so instead of one card every 30 minutes, you´ll get only one per hour.

As mentioned before, that all is with the normal steam client, I have no experience if SAM acts any different.

dani_dc

This feels like a depressingly accurate description of life at times

NZBx6OD.jpg

r3n4ud

Okay, scratch hyping up a game as a way of winning a modbot giveaway for said game ;)
Also, only 35 entrants for Unrest? Boo!
You know, if there were only two entrants I'd still lose. Every time.

Bah. Modbot refuses to like me even after all this time.

diablogod

LTTP, I just finished Transistor..

First, let me say that Bastion is among my favorite downloadable games last gen, so I was looking forward to Supergiant Games' next title. But I was hesitant about Transistor because of the battle system, I'm not a very.. "strategic" player, I'm bad at anything with planning, taking turns and whatnot, so I thought it wouldn't be my cup of tea. But thanks to my friend corrosivefrost, here I was playing this gem.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, from start to finish, the battle system wasn't a problem for me at all. Visually it's nothing short of amazing, the story was great (loved the characters), and dat soundtrack is out-of-this-world good. Darren Korb did it again, and Ashley Barrett is an incredible singer (her voice just brings out all the feels in me..), already my OST of the year.

So overall, I think this is a great, great game. Probably my favorite one of 2014 so far.

I liked Transistor, combat was super fun and pretty inventive. Although I must say I think Bastion was the superior game overall. Transistor felt extremely vague throughout, and I actually like the Bastion music a little bit better. Transistor is still a great game though and I recommend anyone try it at the sub $10 price point.

Time for you to play Divinity so we can change that GOTY opinion of yours =)

Forgot to add this one to my earlier giveaway, which still has plenty of games left over btw.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

The Chaos Engine -- MB-2370523A2CEC0A18 - Taken by Henry Swanson

But don't idle too many games as it's worthless. Gonna quote this from Steamgifts, better explanation than I can be bothered typing up.

If you idle 5-7 games and restart them after every card drop I've experienced getting up to 7 cards at a time (this was just yesterday).

also, seriously no one interested in this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut2wbnY8saY#t=120

ModBot 2 said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MrTeachwell, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

0rpyeQ3.png

ulgzbKC.png
Drive to Hell (desura) -- MB-22BC9C946CA1B0EE - Taken by pupo

t1406155666z1.png

Restart them all or just the one that dropped the card?

I just close them all down and restart them all again. My invented theory is that steam servers log when you start and end game sessions and the card drop timer randomly resets when you restart games. Take plenty of salt with this though because i just made it all up, except it seems to work for me (if I get no drop in 20mins i restart them too).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Do story and pacing really trump all the other ways AC is improved over AA for you? And even then, you found AA's story to be that good?
I got bored halfway through AC while I loved AA from beginning to end. What are those improvements you mention? In my opinion the open city made the game worse, not better, as traversing it became a chore really fast, and the new gadgets didn't add much.

Grief.exe

LTTP, I just finished Transistor..

First, let me say that Bastion is among my favorite downloadable games last gen, so I was looking forward to Supergiant Games' next title. But I was hesitant about Transistor because of the battle system, I'm not a very.. "strategic" player, I'm bad at anything with planning, taking turns and whatnot, so I thought it wouldn't be my cup of tea. But thanks to my friend corrosivefrost, here I was playing this gem.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, from start to finish, the battle system wasn't a problem for me at all. Visually it's nothing short of amazing, the story was great (loved the characters), and dat soundtrack is out-of-this-world good. Darren Korb did it again, and Ashley Barrett is an incredible singer (her voice just brings out all the feels in me..), already my OST of the year.

So overall, I think this is a great, great game. Probably my favorite one of 2014 so far.

The combat system has quite a bit of depth too. My first play through, I paused constantly and used the planning mode. My second play through, I set up my abilities in such a way that I played purely in realtime.

mclem

Games can now be assigned to more than one category at a time

On the one hand, yay, I've been wanting that for ages.

On the other hand, though... this means I have to go through sorting all my collection again, doesn't it?

First time using ModBot, here goes:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut -- MB-CE0BC6280B4780B9 - Taken by Drakhyrr. 30 entrants total.
Just Cause 2 -- MB-6678ED02D03BD954 - Taken by bacon-bits. 7 entrants total.
Nosgoth Veteran Pack -- MB-250AEDB39D073BA1 - Taken by billmcdougal. 4 entrants total.

t1406168995z1.png

Teppic

I played some TowerFall on PS4. One of the best multiplayer games I've played in a long time, or maybe not, because I also played some SpeedRunners which is also excellent. SpeedRunners is like a side viewed Micro Machines.

I saw that TowerFall is also for PC. Too bad there's no online multiplayer.

Jawmuncher

I played some TowerFall on PS4. One of the best multiplayer games I've played in a long time, or maybe not, because I also played some SpeedRunners which is also excellent. SpeedRunners is like a side viewed Micro Machines.

I saw that TowerFall is also for PC. Too bad there's online multiplayer.

I have no local friends to play it with so all of the talk about it I'm missing out on. Not putting online in a MP focused fame these days is just odd.

Even gun monkeys is online.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Man, would you believe that, I just had a hard drive die. That's uncanny.
NOOOO! ModBot took all our keys and ran!

Seriously now, sorry to hear that. Hope you had backups of all your important stuff.

Oh come on. An entire library entry for a single racetrack DLC.

Someone never told SimBin how Steam library works.
Well, Valve has an entry just for a Half-Life 2 level, so why couldn't they? :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Super busy tonight but wanted to ask, did turf win unrest?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: "That's why you do backups"
I have an extensive backup setup; I was a sysadmin for a long time. Nothing I can ever lose can't be replaced. This was a media drive--my backup copies are the original optimal discs. It doesn't make sense to invest in significant backup storage for files that are themselves lossy backups of originals. In fact, my panic response was more "Oh crap, I don't know if I made a backup of the file listing on that drive to know what I need to re-rip when I get a replacement drive"; thankfully, I was able to go to one of my remote media boxes, go into XBMC's SQLite database, and dump the file list from that.

RE: "How old was it"
A few years old; not in the 3-5+ year death trap period, not in the out-of-the-factory lemon period. During a period of time where drives don't typically fail. It was the newest drive in my machine, but not new. I know all about hard drive failures :p

RE: "How is that uncanny, for example did you know Alanis Morrisette's song 'ironic' is not really ironic? That's pretty ironic."
It's uncanny because it happened with no warning less than a week before I'm moving internationally, at pretty much the only time I wouldn't be able to take the time to go out, get a replacement drive, and re-rip the data. Half of what was on the drive is packed in moving boxes, and the other half is in my father-in-law's house in storage. That's what was uncanny, I was just remarking to myself that I would not have expected for it to happen this way.

I got bored halfway through AC while I loved AA from beginning to end. What are those improvements you mention? In my opinion the open city made the game worse, not better, as traversing it became a chore really fast, and the new gadgets didn't add much.

I'm talking about combat being more involved with more enemy types throughout the game, sneaking/predator gameplay having more options and not all taking place in-doors, new & useful gadgets that are useable during combat/predator gameplay, some decent boss battles, a legitimately great boss battle in Mr. Freeze, the grapnel boost/gliding existing compared to them not existing in AA, more than two (optional) side missions that extend beyond collect-a-thons, Riddler content that (while including too many collectibles) involves actual puzzles when getting trophies, hostage deathtrap rooms that give the Riddler content more substance and an end sequence that wasn't a completely disappointing anticlimax buzzkill.

Much of the stuff above that people might not enjoy (Riddler content, other side missions, using gadgets during combat/predator gameplay, Catwoman stuff [at least in the non-complete versions]) is also optional.

If traversing the overworld was a chore, what was it like playing AA where backtracking involved running through hallways all the way across the island? It's an odd criticism when stacking the games up next to one another since running through segmented sections of the AA was boring once you passed through an area already. enemies don't respawn in AA so there's literally nothing available to the player beyond running for large swaths of time. If getting around the (more) open world bores you more than running around AA, it's just a straight shot from one objective to the next.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Despite Valve having locked my account out just shortly after the Summer Sale ended and having done nothing in regards to it beyond the initial automated message stating what has occurred and why, I just got an email from asking me if I was satisfied with their support in resolving my problem.

Why would they do this to me?

Teppic

Despite Valve having locked my account out just shortly after the Summer Sale ended and having done nothing in regards to it beyond the initial automated message stating what has occurred and why, I just got an email from asking me if I was satisfied with their support in resolving my problem.

So... Were you satisfied?

Didju rike it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom