• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT32| Driviks and Draksis (Spoiler Tag ALL Raid Discussion)

E92 M3

For the next time I raid, I'd like to use a soundboard. Any ideas on how to pull this off that doesn't involve putting a mic next to a computer?

You mean lag teleport? Yeah, they studied crucible games quite well.

I never experienced lag with their teleport :p

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
This. The reason the dude could jump in and bum rush the boss was because he obliterated the first two rooms to the point where he didn't care about dying at all. Secondly, and he even admits this, he would've failed if that heavy ammo didn't drop when it did.

Yeah... and another thing is that I don't think that a lot of people in this game, through no fault of their own, really understand DPS windows like that. Its a shooter first after all. There ARE windows for knocking the boss down in that last room. Plenty. But having your fireteam all on the same page for it, in that kind of situation, is something that doesn't even happen in raids. Its an entirely new type of encounter for the community as a whole imo.

So basically I'm just like... yeah, its possible to DPS the boss into oblivion. Very possible even. But for guys who grew up in the FPS world, or even the Destiny one, DPS windows closing typically have very clear indicators. There are none in this fight. People can't really gauge the overall situation and threat when locked in. That's why I really suggest that, unless you're being carried by two people, you just work on what you know - which is killing mobs as fast as possible, with the right gear out, and doing damage to the boss from different angles so that >someone< will definitely see when the orbs/spawns hit the room and be able to call it out in time for the whole team to react.
pls gimme a ship bungie

LTWood12

so play the dailies everyday. unlimited by ass.

please feel free to invite me to Weekly Heroics if you see me on.

Of course. I've got three more heroics to do for the Ikora Rey quest. I'm sure I'll do them this weekend. I'll hit you up.

You're right. I guess he was just using the air melee-R2 combo for all that damage.

We should have tried that...

Yeah we did. A couple times.... it went okay but looking back we had a couple missteps on both tries. Most important think was forgetting to group and go together each time, and we forgot to use Melting Point and Shadowshot on the boss to amplify damage. We did successfully kill him one of those times though (not with swords, got him to about 25% with them and then plinked him to death with swords).

Looks like using the melee-R2 air combo instead of the ground 3 hit combo is considerably more damage

Our problem was never the boss. It was the ads. My last 3 or 4 attempts we were consistently able to kill the boss with well over a minute left, and even two minutes one time. But by concentrating on the boss the whole time the amount of ads in the room was just too much to overcome.

got two purples so far from engrams. i had to shard a few things to get enough marks to buy the Vanguard Ghost.

It is a minor "farming marks" tip, but I like to XP level all my legendary weapons to half or more before dismantling. You can get 5 legendary marks opposed to 3. I will do armor if I have a lot of bounties to cash in, but with weapons, just pop a telemetry, then burn a few motes of light, and you are getting more marks per dismantle. I am swimming in motes of light and telemetries are cheap so it is a good way to squeeze some more marks out of gear that you plan to dismantle anyway. Also a good tip to level up gear you want to keep at the same time so the MoL are not just going to trash purples.

Kilau

Anyone doing the final step of the sword quest?

298 Hunter, need a good group to complete this. PSN: Kilau

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I really, really don't recommend going for the boss first :eek:
This really isn't an encounter that has a single universally viable strategy. On some of the rounds when we killed every orb as it popped up we had a tough time keeping the boss damage on pace... this guy soloing it literally doesn't touch an orb or a single add until the boss is down.

In hindsight while I got close many times the only round in which I actually saw him die started out as a kamikaze sword round that we then shifted to clearing adds

It might also be viable to dedicate one person to boss DPS throughout and the other two to orbs/adds, always pausing to make and collects orbs of light of course
This. The reason the dude could jump in and bum rush the boss was because he obliterated the first two rooms to the point where he didn't care about dying at all.
What do you mean?
Secondly, and he even admits this, he would've failed if that heavy ammo didn't drop when it did.
I mean he had ammo when he went in, and used a synth before the second round. Surely two entire other people can contribute quite a bit of damage...

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Is it possible to just get a group and go to Rumble and kill each other for sword kills?

This really isn't an encounter that has a single universally viable strategy. On some of the rounds when we killed every orb as it popped up we had a tough time keeping the boss damage on pace... this guy soloing it literally doesn't touch an orb or a single add until the boss is down.

In hindsight while I got close many times the only round in which I actually saw him die started out as a kamikaze sword round that we then shifted to clearing adds

It might also be viable to dedicate one person to boss DPS throughout and the other two to orbs/adds, always pausing to make and collects orbs of light of course

What do you mean?

I mean he had ammo when he went in, and used a synth before the second round. Surely two entire other people can contribute quite a bit of damage...

It also didn't hurt that when running solo, the mobs have significantly less health. It's a scaled back fight.

RemiLP

Been playing with Sunbreaker in pvp abit lately, and it really showed me just how much foh sucks. I only have a titan so havnt tryed any other supers before.

Finaly a super thats actually worthy of a super :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It also didn't hurt that when running solo, the mobs have significantly less health. It's a scaled back fight.
So is this really the case? Doesn't that make what was said about running with two people true?
Our problem was never the boss. It was the ads. My last 3 or 4 attempts we were consistently able to kill the boss with well over a minute left, and even two minutes one time. But by concentrating on the boss the whole time the amount of ads in the room was just too much to overcome.
Right, over a minute left wouldn't cut it for a strategy that goes for the boss first. In the solo completion he goes down with 4:30 left.
Is it possible to just get a group and go to Rumble and kill each other for sword kills?
Sure.

Ramirez

Been playing with Sunbreaker in pvp abit lately, and it really showed me just how much foh sucks. I only have a titan so havnt tryed any other supers before.

Finaly a super thats actually worthy of a super :)

Weird, I've been playing Striker the past 2-3 days going through the PVP quests and feel like FoH is still one of the best supers in the game, aside from GG. I've shut down so many Stormtrance & Hammers, feels good man. Lightning grenade is still hands down the best PVP grenade in the game, hits like a god damn truck.

Mupod

I stayed up an hour later than I should have furiously feeding spindles to things. Now I'm broke but I have lots of 300 infusion fodder and a 308 1000-Yard Stare.

Come to think of it, I guess the fact that the blueprint was 300 should have been a dead giveaway that something was wrong...

LiK

It is a minor "farming marks" tip, but I like to XP level all my legendary weapons to half or more before dismantling. You can get 5 legendary marks opposed to 3. I will do armor if I have a lot of bounties to cash in, but with weapons, just pop a telemetry, then burn a few motes of light, and you are getting more marks per dismantle. I am swimming in motes of light and telemetries are cheap so it is a good way to squeeze some more marks out of gear that you plan to dismantle anyway. Also a good tip to level up gear you want to keep at the same time so the MoL are not just going to trash purples.

good tip! Motes drop like candy. will do this.

LTWood12

Our closest runs I would concentrate on taking out the big orbs and ads while T-44 and Tokems did DPS. Blessing of light bubble for added durability plus gift of the void helped w/ orb generation and feeding Tokem's Celestial Nighthawk. I kind of wonder if what ended up screwing us was staying in that initial hallway the whole time. Maybe an approach similar to Skolas where you rotate around the room would've worked better.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

What do you mean?

I gotcha. I just think its an awareness thing. Very, very few people can do damage with eyes in the back of there heads - and its not something you're ever really asked to do in Destiny at all. So its kind of hard to suddenly jump into that mode imo. When I was finally in the mode where I could grind Driviks for a ship, it was after I'd run the mission with nearly a dozen different people. I'm just throwing in my 2 cents on what I feel was the easiest common ground to plan and collaborate on.
Weird, I've been playing Striker the past 2-3 days going through the PVP quests and feel like FoH is still one of the best supers in the game, aside from GG. I've shut down so many Stormtrance & Hammers, feels good man. Lightning grenade is still hands down the best PVP grenade in the game, hits like a god damn truck.
It'll always be one of the most underrated supers in the game. FoH is great, but a lot of times its seen merely as a panic button.

One day they'll get their time to shine in PvE. One day.

E92 M3

Have you guys thought about what life would be like without Destiny? Taken King has completely relinquished my free time.

So is this really the case? Doesn't that make what was said about running with two people true?

Right, over a minute left wouldn't cut it for a strategy that goes for the boss first. In the solo completion he goes down with 4:30 left.

Sure.

I believe it is the case, yes. Those big black orbs came down surprisingly fast even with close up shotgun blasts.

Only thing I would have changed in that strat would be to actually use an exotic sword if I am going to just rush the boss right away. use the special move to get amazing damage multiplier, fuck him up very very fast. Regular shotgun will do fine and likely plenty of special ammo dropping to make invective's little trick not so missed.

Ozone

I stayed up an hour later than I should have furiously feeding spindles to things. Now I'm broke but I have lots of 300 infusion fodder and a 308 1000-Yard Stare.

Come to think of it, I guess the fact that the blueprint was 300 should have been a dead giveaway that something was wrong...
"Was"? Did they put the nerf in already?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Our closest runs I would concentrate on taking out the big orbs and ads while T-44 and Tokems did DPS. Blessing of light bubble for added durability plus gift of the void helped w/ orb generation and feeding Tokem's Celestial Nighthawk. I kind of wonder if what ended up screwing us was staying in that initial hallway the whole time. Maybe an approach similar to Skolas where you rotate around the room would've worked better.
Yeah definitely agree on that last point. There's lots of room to be aggressive and push way out to each orb location. We did much better with the more consistent clearing strategy once we tossed out the idea of staying in that room and did a sort of sweep and clear.
I gotcha. I just think its an awareness thing. Very, very few people can do damage with eyes in the back of there heads - and its not something you're ever really asked to do in Destiny at all. So its kind of hard to suddenly jump into that mode imo. When I was finally in the mode where I could grind Driviks for a ship, it was after I'd run the mission with nearly a dozen different people. I'm just throwing in my 2 cents on what I feel was the easiest common ground to plan and collaborate on.
Yeah I don't necessarily think a kamikaze strategy for him will ever be the best or easiest, but it's something I'd definitely like to try when m sword is a bit higher up or I have the exotic and two other people willing to plan it out in advance. We really did get pretty close for what amounted to experimental runs before switching back to the more traditional strategy.

RemiLP

Yeah, thats true. Its great against other supers. Nothing better then having foh ready when u see a blade dancer comming for u ;)

But generally, i get loads more kills with hammers than foh, and u dont have to hold on to it waiting fpr that perfect time

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'll say this, those enemies saying "240 light recommended" is absolute bologna.
IMO it's just showing that because it's the recommended Light for the daily. The mission sort of cheekily doesn't admit this side-challenge exists. I can't imagine getting anywhere at that level
How about "Kill all the things". Worked twice for us without a wipe.
That's really cool, thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll try that next time.

Morning DGAF.

Yesterday I got...

Two Spindles.
The Ship from the Spindle mission.
Rank 3 on my Hunter and the Ace of Spades(How good is this hand cannon? PvP?)
Exotic Arc Sword on my main toon
and got a good chunk of the PVP questline for Shaxx done. I am at the Skirmish part. I will need to enlist GAFers soon.

I'm at elimination if you want to team up.

PSN: Subtervotion

Werd

Looks like I missed a group by half an hour, but I'm looking for a fresh Raid if someone needs a player. Have not attempted yet, 296 Titan.

E92 M3

i would've finished MGSV by now and sleep earlier.

Sleep has definitely been compromised unfortunately.

Yeah, I would be able to play other games lol.

What is other games? I hope that one day I don't look back at all of my Destiny playing with regret. Though, the one indisputable outcome that can't be contested are all of the new friendships that formed.

Top Bottom