• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF MARCH 2011 Pick-Up Post! Show Us Your Goods! (Real pics or BAN!)!

LiK said:
new buds
2011-03-03_17-02-51_539.jpg

Those are awesome buds, LiK. Been rocking them for about a month now.

Catherine, now CX 300-IIs... seems like we have pretty similar tastes...
now, about Alex Navarro...

Kobiekun

jarosh said:
do you KNOW of any cheap upconverter that could sit in between a 240i source and the slg3000?
Unfortunately I do not. It might be worth your while to check out the SLG3000 thread in the shmups forum to see what others are using.

jarosh said:
the slg3000 only takes a 480p vga signal
I'm not sure of the exact range, but I can vouch for the SLG3000 accepting an input resolution of 1920x1080. In the setup I posted, the XRGB-3 was upscaling the PC-Engine's output up to 1080p before handing it off to the SLG3000. This is not an optimal solution—I prefer the variability of the XRGB-3's scanlines coupled with the slightly softer picture that comes from not having the XRGB-3 handle the upscaling. It's just that the two consoles I mentioned output sync signals that don't work well with the XRGB-3 in B1 (scanline) mode.

jarosh said:
if you're talking about ps1 games primarily you're looking for a scaler, you probably don't want scanlines.
In my experience, I prefer the majority of the PS1 games with scanlines (this may be because when these games were new, I played them on an interlaced TV). When I play a game without scanlines that I would originally have played on an interlaced TV, I find that the color is over saturated and edges aren't as clearly defined. This is obviously a matter of personal preference. I once compared SOTN running in a variety of configurations and would rank those configurations thusly:
  1. PS2 via component to XRGB-3 with scanlines
  2. PS3 (in 480p output) via HDMI to XRGB-3 with scanlines
  3. PS2 via component to XRGB-3 upscaling to 1080p (remember XRGB-3 cannot insert scanlines and upscale)
  4. PS3 (in 1080p) output via HDMI
  5. PS2 via component directly to TV

I haven't done much testing at all with PS2/GC/Xbox era games. For all of the older stuff (NES, SMS, PCE, Genesis, SNES, Neo Geo, N64, Saturn and PS1) I'll go with the best output signal I can get from the machine (composite, S-Video or RGB) and plug it into the XRGB-3 for scanlines.

Here are some more example pics taken when I originally purchased my XRGB-3:

Castlevania 3 (NES, composite)

Castlevania3_01.JPG

Super Castlevania (SNES, S-Video)
Castlevania4.JPG

jarosh

SuperJ said:
Unfortunately I do not. It might be worth your while to check out the SLG3000 thread in the shmups forum to see what others are using.

I'm not sure of the exact range, but I can vouch for the SLG3000 accepting an input resolution of 1920x1080. In the setup I posted, the XRGB-3 was upscaling the PC-Engine's output up to 1080p before handing it off to the SLG3000. This is not an optimal solution—I prefer the variability of the XRGB-3's scanlines coupled with the slightly softer picture that comes from not having the XRGB-3 handle the upscaling. It's just that the two consoles I mentioned output sync signals that don't work well with the XRGB-3 in B1 (scanline) mode.

In my experience, I prefer the majority of the PS1 games with scanlines (this may be because when these games were new, I played them on an interlaced TV). When I play a game without scanlines that I would originally have played on an interlaced TV, I find that the color is over saturated and edges aren't as clearly defined. This is obviously a matter of personal preference. I once compared SOTN running in a variety of configurations and would rank those configurations thusly:
  1. PS2 via component to XRGB-3 with scanlines
  2. PS3 (in 480p output) via HDMI to XRGB-3 with scanlines
  3. PS2 via component to XRGB-3 upscaling to 1080p (remember XRGB-3 cannot insert scanlines and upscale)
  4. PS3 (in 1080p) output via HDMI
  5. PS2 via component directly to TV

I haven't done much testing at all with PS2/GC/Xbox era games. For all of the older stuff (NES, SMS, PCE, Genesis, SNES, Neo Geo, N64, Saturn and PS1) I'll go with the best output signal I can get from the machine (composite, S-Video or RGB) and plug it into the XRGB-3 for scanlines.

Here are some more example pics taken when I originally purchased my XRGB-3:

Castlevania 3 (NES, composite)

[]http://www.aubain.net/Images/VideoGames/GOTM/201004/Castlevania3_01.JPG[/IMG]

Super Castlevania (SNES, S-Video)
[http://www.aubain.net/Images/VideoGames/GOTM/201004/Castlevania4.JPG[/IMG]
i'd LOVE to be able to display my nes with scanlines on my plasma like that. i just wish there was a cheaper solution than the xrgb-3. looking at the list of upconverters/line doublers on http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ that take composite, it seems like i'd still have to spend close to 200 bucks on a device just doing the upscaling from 240i to at least 480p before i can pass the signal on to the slg3000. so i wouldn't be saving THAT much money that way. but i'm wondering if there's not an even simpler, more barebones device that i could use for that. i will read the thread on the shmups forum, as you suggested, to find out if there's a cheapo upscaler that does a good enough job... i'm not worried about any scaling being done by my tv from 480p to 720p (its native res), as the panasonic plasmas have good enough scalers to provide excellent image quality scaling from even a 240i source like the snes to 720p (as long as it's rgb). the nes' awful composite image is another story altogether and will only ever look good with scanlines added...

LiK

fadetoblack said:
Those are awesome buds, LiK. Been rocking them for about a month now.

Catherine, now CX 300-IIs... seems like we have pretty similar tastes...
now, about Alex Navarro...
lol, yea, good buds. Someone recommended them to me. Very comfortable.

A few pickups for me so far.

Fox Hunt - took a lot longer than it should have to find a complete one in good condition.

xf5sd.jpg

Finally got the TV mounted on the wall. Love it.

Ja44h.jpg

And, for the Korean in me, had to get this.

Sq1Gw.jpg

plc268

Miranda and Legion mini-lithos
Sorry for the crappy picture, took them in a rush

cFmOP.jpg

I wanted to get the full size lithos but I missed out when they put them up, so the minis will do.

Ahh my new HT projector finally arrived today.

DSC_0178.jpg

I'll post more later, I have to run some running around and have dinner with the wife.

A few thrifting scores today. I'm nt sure I'll come out positive on the Final Fantasy and and Gundam's but the palm OS SEGA collection is cool and unopened. I think it' an SD Card.
IMG_1034.jpg

kunonabi

I could give a detailed explanation of why I hated the 2nd half of RE4 but it really wouldn't matter. I don't dislike RE4 as much as I hate RE:CV or RE5 but it still wasn't that great to me. Outbreak kicked ass back in the day however. I can't do much with it now obviously but I'm trying to collect every game on my top 50 list of all time.

jtkauff

Long time lurker for the pickup threads and I figured this was a great one to start out with. Plus, it looks like I'm not the only one excited to finally have my Rock Band Squier (apologies for crappy picture, the room wasn't nearly light enough but his expression just rocked so I had to post it):

Dragon Quest VI is actually from last month - got it at release at Kmart so I got $15 in credit to go with it. Shiren is used from Gamestop - $4.49 was far too good to pass up.

Not pictured/picture coming soon: Rock Band Xbox 360 MIDI Pro Controller, plus the trio of Rock Band 3 (for me), Dance Central (for my wife) and Kinectimals (for the kid) for just over $60 thanks to B2G1, Edge card, and CAG16.

cj_iwakura

kunonabi: Maken X(Dreamcast) is fantastic.

Also, new pickup:

IMG_6417.jpg

Reign of the Exarchs Sourcebook for Mage: The Awakening.

Wanted this one mostly on account of the art.

Ultima_5

jtkauff said:
Dragon Quest VI is actually from last month - got it at release at Kmart so I got $15 in credit to go with it. Shiren is used from Gamestop - $4.49 was far too good to pass up.

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z452/jtkauff/bcf51945.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Does your gamestop keep the cases and manuals? All of the local ones around me throw them out... =(

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
A piece of my niece's Plants vs. Zombies cake (sorry, I was almost done with it before I took a pic):

nqz4si.jpg

Here's the whole cake:

200wnzs.jpg

Funny story: My niece picked a Plants vs. Zombies cake over a Disney princess, Dora, Pixar, and Barney cake.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ultima_5 said:
Does your gamestop keep the cases and manuals? All of the local ones around me throw them out... =(
the fuck..?

None of them do that around here... I imagine that'd be an individual manager's decision.

And wow... a terrible decision. There'd be so many people's business lost over such action. I would literally never buy a game without a case, and I am not alone at all. While many "hardcore gamers" activities are not representative of the mainstream buying habits... I bet a lack of the case is a huge disincentive in buying habits, both consciously and unconsciously.

Yazuka

Here are two of the latest purchases I've made. Just posting these for now, I'm awaiting some more stuff, then I'll take pics of the rest.

2011_02_28_xenogears_mega_man2.jpg

Yes Boss!

Also, finally got a Kinect. Now have all three motion gaming systems. Not too many interesting games for it but at least I'm ready for Child of Eden and anything else that might get released. Got it for $80 since a friend bought a new 250 S bundle and did not want it...but it turns out it doesn't come with a power supply for the older fatty systems. Argh, now I gotta spend $35 more to get it working.

3ce790b4.jpg

0ad4bd7e.jpg

kunonabi said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/kunonabi/goods/IMG-20110213-00006.jpg[IMG]
[/QUOTE]
Ah, I've never seen it with the slipcover off.

Finally this came in the post (well actually it arrived Monday but I only have time to collect the post on Friday...):
[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/Starwolf_UK/Finds/IMG_3314.jpg
Slayers: Series 1. I don't get it how can two items sent out at the same time arrive several days apart?

Tyrion81

Neo Member
jarosh said:
the slg3000 only takes a 480p vga signal, adds scanlines and then outputs once again at 480p vga. it doesn't upscale. probably not what you're looking for. you can't get "better resolutions" out of hdtvs. whatever that means. if you're talking about ps1 games primarily you're looking for a scaler, you probably don't want scanlines. a VERY good introduction to this sort of thing is here: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ the site also reviews countless scalers (and lined doublers etc.) at different price ranges.

Thanks man. I wasn't really sure of the terminology, but what I basically meant is that I wanted a better picture out of HDTV when a ps1 was connected. This links looks like a great start, thanks for the help!

Starwolf_UK said:
I don't get it how can two items sent out at the same time arrive several days apart?

Yeah it's odd and annoying. On that note, iMAS 2 arrived today but Pink Sweets/Muchi Muchi Pork - posted at the same time from the same person - is a no show. That's Royal Mail for you!

DSC00227-1.jpg

kunonabi said:
IMG-20110213-00002.jpg

Masterpiece Rodimus Prime

Nice! I'd love to buy this figure, but I can't justify spending $200 on it to my wife! Would you mind taking more photos of him, maybe comparing the Rodimus Prime and Hot Rod forms? Thanks!

kunonabi

http://higekumatoytoy.blog60.fc2.com/blog-entry-1005.html

These aren't my photos but this guy actually has two of him so you can really see the difference between the Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime forms. The changes are minimal for the two transformations but it makes a huge difference when you have him in front of you. The figure has some QC issues but overall he is amazing. Once I get him back home I intend to leave in Rodiums Prime mode. Thankfully he was birthday gift so I didn't have to plunk down the cash myself(although I would have)

vitaminwateryum said:
They were on Mondo for a very short time. You can probably find 'em on ebay, just search for "Tyler Stout star wars".

Thanks. They are going for close to 300 dollars each. :( Very cool posters though. How much were they on Mondo?

Riptwo

Gillian Seed said:
Thanks. They are going for close to 300 dollars each. :( Very cool posters though. How much were they on Mondo?
I think the set of three was going for $150. Mondo stuff is awesome and affordable, but it sells out quick due to sketchy eBay hoarding scum. Expect posters to go for double their original price on eBay within minutes of Mondo's release.

Top Bottom