• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well I deactivated my fb. And the nightmares just keep coming. Just watched fantastic beasts. Think I'll drown myself in escapism this weekend. I'm in a bad place again.

sangreal

I always wondered if there was a way to make a 6,000 person congress work using the original maximum of 1 seat per 50,000 people, given the current era of technology. It would be very different, but I don't think it would necessarily be worse.

New Hampshire's house has almost as many reps as the US House

Gotchaye

It feels like Jewish center-left journalists have become more hard-line after the wild anti-Semitism thrown at them the last 18 months.

I mean, Matt Yglesias and Jonathan Chait haven't changed their policy beliefs, but have become more accepting of "Democrats should do nothing but attempt to block Trump at all times."

I don't follow Yglesias but what was Chait's pre- hard-line position? He was pointing out from very early on how effective McConnell's strategy of obstruction was, so it makes sense to me that he's now very critical of Senate Democrats trying to make themselves look better by working with Trump and is arguing that there's going to be a political cost to working with him even on things that they think are good ideas.

Edit: That said I think everyone including Chait is being a bit too credulous that this is actually Senate Democrats' plan. McConnell just announcing that the plan was to not let Obama get anything done even where Republicans agreed with him was dumb. Really dumb. Obviously the best way to apply McConnell's insight is to say that of course you intend to work with the president anywhere that you can find compromise, and then later you sadly discover that he's just totally unwilling to meet you halfway.

Diablos

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/gop-supreme-court-filibuster-nuclear-option-231582

Fuck the GOP and what they did to Garland, now they're vowing this?

Obama please. Appointment Garland in the recess. On the eyes of history, there will be no negative consequences to this.

Effing. Do. It.
It's over guys. The court is gone for a generation. Unless by some miracle Trump is a one term Pres and the liberal wing holds on for dear life. Highly unlikely. Not to mention the uphill battle voters will face in 2020 with WI-like voter laws all over the place and enforced by the White House too.

So much stuff died on the 8th.

simplayer

Jeff Sessions along with Ted Cruz is trying to severely restrict the H1b and F1 visa program. Without these programs, the IT/tech/engineering industry will suffocate and most likely die or shift overseas. Here's an article from March on Sessions-Cruz' "The American Jobs First Act of 2015" bill.

That'll be awesome for my friends'. They're currently here on TN visas (NAFTA). So even if that isn't repealed, they'll have to deal with more bullshit in getting an H1B.

Tarkus

OT is fucking insane w the ratio of Trump and alt-right/racism/white nationalism topics...

Screen_Shot_2016_11_18_at_4_16_17_PM.jpg
Yes. Makes me want to leave this site alone. Jesus, shut the fuck up people. You got 4 years of it. Deal with it.

catbird

Neo Member
Re: towns that flipped in NJ.

Rural =/= poor. I live in Gloucester, one of the townships to flip. The most proud Trump supporters own acres of farmland where they built their McMansion (anecdotal). I just checked and the town neighboring mine, Mantua, has a median income of 80k. Not mega rich but they ain't hurting.

kirblar

Re: towns that flipped in NJ.

Rural =/= poor. I live in Gloucester, one of the townships to flip. The most proud Trump supporters own acres of farmland where they built their McMansion (anecdotal). I just checked and the town neighboring mine, Mantua, has a median income of 80k. Not mega rich but they ain't hurting.
80k goes a lot further in red states too.

On the filibuster. Isn't is actually the threat of the filibuster rather than an actual filibuster that is typically deployed. That which forces McConnell to try to ensure he has at 8 Democrats onside or that whatever is being proposed is non-repulsive enough that it won't need a filibuster override.

If your threat is not credible then it will be ignored anyway.

If you don't threaten its use then the GOP gets to pass whatever they want anyway.

If he wanted to avoid this threat entirely he could nuke it whenever.

Tarkus

This is the new normal. Get used to it.

You don't want people to talk about fucking white nationalist taking over the government? This shit ain't going to be wished away.
It's every other thread it seems. I didn't vote for Trump either, yet I'm tired of hearing about it. All these threads are headlines on every news site that everyone visits. I come here for leisure, gaming news, and comedy. Not fucking Trump Trump Trump.

I'm going to be nice and ignore the not so stealth thread whining, this is what you get for around half the US voting for this idiot. Minor annoyance.

Other people get deportation and the loss of healthcare access.

So maybe consider yourself hashtag blessed.

It's over guys. The court is gone for a generation. Unless by some miracle Trump is a one term Pres and the liberal wing holds on for dear life. Highly unlikely. Not to mention the uphill battle voters will face in 2020 with WI-like voter laws all over the place and enforced by the White House too.

So much stuff died on the 8th.

Theoretically speaking, outside of not having the guts to do it, what would prevent a future democratic president and Congress from expanding the court to 13 justices?

Diablos

Theoretically speaking, outside of not having the guts to do it, what would prevent a future democratic president and Congress from expanding the court to 13 justices?
We could do that. But it would set a precedent for sure. We'd need a huge wave election and the political will to make it happen, but if the Trump SCOTUS completely guts everything from Roe to voting rights, it might be worth it. Even adding 2 justices could work.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'm still not sure what to make of Hillary barely winning my state (New Hampshire). I'm glad she did, but what the small margin means for 2020 I'm not sure. I'd like to think it means nothing has really changed: only a slight shift back toward the center, which is appropriate for a swing state. Maybe I should just feel good there were enough people here to reject Trump's bigotry. I thought that would be the case in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan.

The situation across the border in Maine seems more concerning for Democrats. The state went from Obama winning it by >15% to Hillary carrying it by only 2.7% and losing CD2. Like in the Rust Belt there must have been a lot of Obama voters who went for Trump. The switch just feels so strange to me I still can't quite wrap my head around it. All I can think is how these voters must have been so attached to his message, especially about being an outsider, they were willing to ignore all the toxicity he spewed.

Barzul

I'm still not sure what to make of Hillary barely winning my state (New Hampshire). I'm glad she did, but what the small margin means for 2020 I'm not sure. I'd like to think it means nothing has really changed: only a slight shift back toward the center, which is appropriate for a swing state. Maybe I should just feel good there were enough people here to reject Trump's bigotry. I thought that would be the case in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan.

The situation across the border in Maine seems more concerning for Democrats. The state went from Obama winning it by >15% to Hillary carrying it by only 2.7% and losing CD2. Like in the Rust Belt there must have been a lot of Obama voters who went for Trump. The switch just feels so strange to me I still can't quite wrap my head around it. All I can think is how these voters must have been so attached to his message, especially about being an outsider, they were willing to ignore all the toxicity he spewed.

Hilary is very very very unpopular. She also took those states for granted.

Obama would have been if he had congress on his side for more than 2 years.

Yeah..then the goddamn tea partiers had to come in. Fuck man. Fuck it. FDR was a great candidate. IMO better than Obama. Man had polio and managed to fool everyone and rock the white house all the same.

Trump is completely incomprehensible to foreign leaders due to his stupidity and I have no idea how that will affect foreign affairs.

https://twitter.com/tggrove/status/799240322186362880

Holy shit that's fucking hilarious ahahahaha

Ok, that's good comedy. I had a hearty laugh. I think that's the first thing I've heartily laughed about relating to Trump since the primaries.

Richard Nixon played a deranged person to scare U.S. enemies into not attacking certain positions ("Harry, tell the Chinese that Nixon's lost it, that he's going to use a nuke in Vietnam") and Trump might help with that as well by actually being deranged.

On the other hand, some people are going to start wars they wouldn't normally because the U.S. has no clear position. Like, if Trump says "well, I love Taiwan, but China has a point" then China might view the U.S. as indifferent and just invade Taiwan and recapture it.

Why the Republicans really nuke the filibuster? Wouldn't that hurt them as well, in the future?

Filibuster would hurt everyone.

I think the only reason it was on the table, is because there was the assumption that Democrats would control the Presidency and the senate, and thus they can pass as much as they want within these 4 years that would guarantee dem control of the government for the forseeable future.

But that didn't happen. And now Republicans are floating it about because...they have that control.

Mike Pence went to Hamilton tonight and everyone in the audience booed him, omg.

Why would a guy who hates gay people and black people go to a Broadway musical starring black people anyway?

ampere

Well I deactivated my fb. And the nightmares just keep coming. Just watched fantastic beasts. Think I'll drown myself in escapism this weekend. I'm in a bad place again.

Take care of yourself. Listen to some good music, try meditating.

This really sucks and it's driving me crazy, but we gotta try to keep it together and work towards stopping hate.

It's going to be about turnout and energizing voters. We have to get people registered and to the polls. How? Probably need a really exciting candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom