• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT16| Unpresidented

Status
Not open for further replies.
Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 3m3 minutes ago
I am asking the chairs of the House and Senate committees to investigate top secret intelligence shared with NBC prior to me seeing it.

He has found his scapegoat.

Glad to see one Democrat is brave enough to stand up for what he believes in.

uH6rTsN.jpg

Xis

Glad to see one Democrat is brave enough to stand up for what he believes in.

Pure gold.

Anyhow, Trump has doubled, tripled, and quadrupled down on Russia not being involved. I know he is a petty, petty man, but at this point I have to wonder if he actually knows there is something damaging to him that could be uncovered.

Wilsongt

He has found his scapegoat.

He's not fucked president yet. As long as Obama has seen it, it's fine.

Idiot.

President-elect Donald Trump views the focus on Russian interference in the 2016 election a “political witch hunt” against him.

In an interview with the New York Times on Friday ahead of Trump’s planned meeting with the heads of U.S. intelligence to discuss the community's findings that Russian actors stole emails from Democratic organizations to influence the election, the President-elect said the intense focus on Russian involvement is meant to damage him politically.

A political witch hunt against Russia, but not against Clinton for Benghazi, server, and emails?

Fuck these people.

Vixdean

All the more reason Democrats should continue hammering this issue for the foreseeable issue. Even there was literally no basis for it (there is), the simple fact that he has to waste time responding to it is politically beneficial. Time to take the gloves off and fight dirty.

All the more reason Democrats should continue hammering this issue for the foreseeable issue. Even there was literally no basis for it (there is), the simple fact that he has to waste time responding to it is politically beneficial. Time to take the gloves off and fight dirty.

Exactly, keep wounding his ego at every turn and press issues while he is squabbling on Twitter.

Pixieking

Banned
Putin/Hacking should be the thing that Dems trot-out every time Trump wants to talk seriously, just like emails were what the Republicans pushed when Clinton was trying to talk policy.

I genuinely hope they hang Putin/Hacking/Russia around Trump's neck for the next 4 years, and with some GOP members genuinely concerned about the security implications of this, it should be piss-easy.

I always like how these things become a personal attack about one's motivation level. Who says I'm moping all day?

It's not a personal attack. This entire thread is filled with sad sacks who think the world is literally over and it's hopeless. And being overly pessimistic to the point of absurdity, outright ignoring historical trends and how elections pretty much always work is exactly what the GOP wants. They want morale down.

I've spent the last few days setting up small recurring donations to figures and causes I care about. Planned Parenthood, Climate Change, Keith Ellison, The PCCC. This is basically my tip-toe back into current events after having my reality obliterated after the election. I had to withdraw from the flow of information for a while and just try to get a hold of myself. Some days I am succeeding, other days I am not, but I can't hide from current events any longer. It's time to come back. It's time to try to accomplish something again.

I recognize some of you from the election cycle. I don't know if anyone remembers me. These are dark times, but I am glad to see your names and avatars again.

So... please help me figure out who to support and who to watch as we enter this new era as the world's most dangerous laughing stock. All the political figures I supported and lined up behind failed. I don't even know who is left. I don't even know if there are enough progressives left with the motivation to take the country back. I don't really know anything any more.

And being overly pessimistic to the point of absurdity, outright ignoring historical trends and how elections pretty much always work is exactly what the GOP wants. They want morale down.

I think the reason I am so pathetic is that I was so confident in how November 2016 was going to turn out and we were all wrong. We had so much evidence and data to reaffirm what we believed would happen and none of it did.

OmniOne

I've spent the last few days setting up small recurring donations to figures and causes I care about. Planned Parenthood, Climate Change, Keith Ellison, The PCCC. This is basically my tip-toe back into current events after having my reality obliterated after the election. I had to withdraw from the flow of information for a while and just try to get a hold of myself. Some days I am succeeding, other days I am not, but I can't hide from current events any longer. It's time to come back. It's time to try to accomplish something again.

I recognize some of you from the election cycle. I don't know if anyone remembers me. These are dark times, but I am glad to see your names and avatars again.

So... please help me figure out who to support and who to watch as we enter this new era as the world's most dangerous laughing stock. All the political figures I supported and lined up behind failed. I don't even know who is left. I don't even know if there are enough progressives left with the motivation to take the country back. I don't really know anything any more.

I think the reason I am so pathetic is that I was so confident in how November 2016 was going to turn out and we were all wrong. We had so much evidence and data to reaffirm what we believed would happen and none of it did.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I put my feet back in and everything is still so unreal. I still am not looking at social media like I used to. I hope we can expel this anomaly. I would feel so much better with President Pence (which is still awful due to policies) but at least I would know he was not a stooge for a foreign hostile power.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I put my feet back in and everything is still so unreal. I still am not looking at social media like I used to. I hope we can expel this anomaly. I would feel so much better with President Pence (which is still awful due to policies) but at least I would know he was not a stooge for a foreign hostile power.

I have entirely and completely abandoned Facebook. I only have it for Messenger functionality, which many people I know still use. I still use Twitter because, despite its sizable population of sociopaths, it remains the best platform for direct and unfiltered information from the people I care to connect with.

I, too, would be less afraid under President Pence. I would certainly be unhappy and spend every day attempting to counteract policies he would surely enact, but I would not look over my various precious keepsakes and mourn how useless they will be to my survival after the complete and utter collapse of modern society or the aftermath of an all-consuming nuclear fire. I vibrate on the threshold of being afraid I am going to die or being afraid of living. It is something I hoped would pass with time, but so far it has not.

I can only hope most people are not debilitated like me. I'm very disenfranchised at the moment. It's a helpless feeling.

But you can bet I'm going to fucking vote.

How about instead of focusing on the Senate, you look at what the map looks like for Governors.

I'm sure the Democrats will walk away better in 2018 than they are now; but to think they'll be able to put a stop to Trump via congress is not looking realistic at the moment. They're not gonna get the Senate, and the house is gerrymandered to shit.

KingBroly

Banned
McGovern (D-MA) just challenged ALABAMA's EC results on the basis of Russian interference.

ALABAMA

AL A FUCKING BAMA

Good
Lord

EDIT - Biden shut it down. "It is over" he said. He's gonna run in 2020.

We are thinking of making an online database with all "verified" twitter accounts & their family/job/financial/housing relationships.

https://twitter.com/WLTaskForce/status/817431533183238144

Pros of this tweet: Did not put parenthesis around "verified."

Cons: Everything else.

Moving forward: Convince Julian Assange into thinking most of the people around him are Jewish so that he flees the embassy. Have guards waiting for this.

24-25 Democrat seats are up in 2018. 11 from states Trump won. Very vulnerable seats for the DNC.
Trump winning is the best thing that could have happened for those seats. The opposition party comes into a midterm at the advantage.

It can't be overstated just how much voters historically do not like one party holding all parts of the federal government.

Welcome back.

Thank you.

Both the Senate and House are entirely doable in 2018

But who do we have to run?

We had some people I really liked in 2016. Jason Kander was one of them. I live nowhere near Missouri, but his loss was a sore one for me.

But something a friend and I have discussed is the anti-establishment pathos that has infiltrated the country has left many progressive voters disillusioned with anyone who has been at it for a while. Voices like Chapo Trap House disparage the idea of any established politician getting shit done, something I don't agree with, but it's a POV I understand. I trusted the Democrat establishment and here we are.

People who dislike the establishment seem to like Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, and Keith Ellison. But who else? Who will run for these seats? How will we get their names out? Is it something I should only worry about on a local level (Maine just passed their run-off law, so I am hoping we don't get any more Paul LePages)?

My pervading thought right now, as I look forward to subsequent elections, is WHERE IS THE BENCH?

You don't need a large, powerful, well known bench to win a Congressional seat. Those are very localized. That's where the bench is formed, it doesn't require one to already exist.

Mike Pence was a radio talk show host before going to Congress...

Both the Senate and House are entirely doable in 2018
There's only one path to the Senate that I really see, which is hold everything and take NV/AZ/TX

It seems like a pretty long shot tbh, though if we can mostly hold our current we can hope for it in 2020, where MT/AK for Dem-friendly red states and IA, NC, TX (if 2018 made it look vulnerable anyways), and CO for spots we might look into.

Also, what the fuck?

WikiLeaks Task ForceVerified account
‏@WLTaskForce
We are thinking of making an online database with all "verified" twitter accounts & their family/job/financial/housing relationships.

Pretty good. The off party generally makes big gains in midterms. Despite how counter productive it is, voters love when the president and congress are opposite parties. Because apparently "better laws get passed with the compromises needed to work together" is what I was taught in school.

I still fear your optimism is left over from the days we all thought Hillary would win and logic and reason would save the day, if only just by a little.

Our new reality is different and I think the dems will get utterly fucked for at least a decade if not more. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any light at the end of this tunnel.

Historically, this isn't true. Midterms are when the not presidential party turns out to take back some power. Democrat turnout will probably be surprisingly high for a midterm in response to Trump and the GOP.

Voters don't like absolute power of one party. They never have. They never will. The Democrats are walking in 2018 with a huge advantage.

That's assuming democrats actually get out to vote.

*yeah right.gif*

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/0...al&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=1483704855

WASHINGTON — U.S. Rep. Beto O'Rourke said Thursday he is all but certain to make a run for U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz's seat in 2018.

"I’ve had the chance to talk to a lot of people around the state of Texas over the last six weeks, and I will tell you, I’m very encouraged," he told The Texas Tribune on Thursday in an interview. "And I am continuing to listen to and talk to folks, and I’m just becoming more and more encouraged."

"It’s very likely that I will run for Senate in 2018," the El Paso Democrat added.

my boyfriend!

39d3efa35b08228f65d5001eb679cfc9_400x400.jpeg

o_rourke.jpg

EVEN HIS MUG SHOT IS VERY HOT

robert+Orourke+DRUNK.jpeg

Trump winning is the best thing that could have happened for those seats. The opposition party comes into a midterm at the advantage.

It can't be overstated just how much voters historically do not like one party holding all parts of the federal government.

Well if their backs are against the wall you can bet the voter fuckery will go into overdrive. Need to win on hard work and not hope.

I still fear your optimism is left over from the days we all thought Hillary would win and logic and reason would save the day, if only just by a little.

Our new reality is different and I think the dems will get utterly fucked for at least a decade if not more. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any light at the end of this tunnel.

(you're talking to someone whose always optimistic about everything and hardly ever lets anything keep him down for more than a day or so)

I don't know how you do it, but I guess I'm glad you're around. If I talk to too many people like me for too long I'd just kill myself.

Having a positive perspective is comforting.

Yea, I guess I'm just always looking towards a brighter future.

Growing up around a mother with crippling anxiety issues will do that to you. I'm always the one who comforted her and told her it was going to be okay and they things she's stressing over are not as bad as they seem. This made me a very optimistic person, if not maybe a little naive about it sometimes.

Right now a lot of people on the right have been bitching about how shitty they think the economy is and how terrible the ACA is for the country and that it needs to go away. Give it 2-4 years when the economy IS actually shitty and those people have all lost their health insurance with no backup plan to save them and maybe things can change. Especially, if those jobs in southern states and the rust belt do not come back despite Trump talking the talk which they probably won't based on the future being automation.

The thing I am depressed about is the kind of damage the GOP will be doing to the environment, international relations, and human rights during those 4 years. Even if we get some kind of miracle scenario in which the Democrats are completely in power by 2020 then they still have to go and pick up the pieces of a mess the Republicans made which takes time. Then if history repeats itself voters will get upset with a lack of progress in their own eyes and throw the Republicans back in power to fuck it all up again.

Sitting around moping all day about how nobody will do anything is the fastest way to make sure nobody does anything.

The GOP didn't sit around in 2010 and have a pity party about how they were never going to win again, so why bother, it's hopeless, the party is doomed.

For being the party of supposed activists and human rights, Democrats really seem to not actually like doing any sort of activist work.

The main problem being, we have no outlets that can compete with 24/7 hate/rage media that is AM radio and Fox News. There is no liberal equivalency. Sure, we talk a big game online, but when it comes down to mobilization, if we don't care about the person (in love with), then we won't vote out of logic, which seems so ironic to me, being supposed proponents of logic and reason.

This is why we're fucked for a while. Please prove me wrong, as I have no faith in us anymore. If Trump wasn't a warning enough of what anti-intellectualism festers into, then what could possibly motivate the left to come out against him when they didn't last year? This all sounds like false optimism to me when we were proven so wrong Nov 8th. Reality has flipped, it's a new ball game now.

The main problem being, we have no outlets that can compete with 24/7 hate/rage media that is AM radio and Fox News. There is no liberal equivalency. Sure, we talk a big game online, but when it comes down to mobilization, if we don't care about the person (in love with), then we won't vote out of logic, which seems so ironic to me, being supposed proponents of logic and reason.

This is why we're fucked for a while. Please prove me wrong, as I have no faith in us anymore. If Trump wasn't a warning enough of what anti-intellectualism festers into, then what could possibly motivate the left to come out against him when they didn't last year? This all sounds like false optimism to me when we were proven so wrong Nov 8th. Reality has flipped, it's a new ball game now.

A lot of good the 24/7 hate machine Fox News/AM Radio did in 2008.

November 8th proved that the country rejects Trump as a whole. Never forget who actually got the most support and the most votes. There are more good people in this country than you give it credit for.

dramatis

Right now a lot of people on the right have been bitching about how shitty they think the economy is and how terrible the ACA is for the country and that it needs to go away. Give it 2-4 years when the economy IS actually shitty and those people have all lost their health insurance with no backup plan to save them and maybe things can change. Especially, if those jobs in southern states and the rust belt do not come back despite Trump talking the talk which they probably won't based on the future being automation.
In the southern states it was never about jobs, it was about other things. The southern states benefited from NAFTA and the likes.

A lot of good the 24/7 hate machine Fox News/AM Radio did in 2008.

November 8th proved that the country rejects Trump as a whole. Never forget who actually got the most support and the most votes. There are more good people in this country than you give it credit for.

Even though that's our reality, I still can't get behind the notion that the country rejects him as a whole. He won the EC, which gives him the keys to the castle. If he were roundly rejected by the country, he would have lost by 30-50 ECs.

I truly value your optimism though, and try to remain as positive as I can. Some days (like today) it just looks like there's no end to it and nothing we can do to stop us falling into this pit of derp. I'm legitimately scared for my children and what they'll have to look forward to while getting out into the workforce right after a Dump reign. I'm old enough where I think I've already seen the peak of the USA in my lifetime. It's all downhill from here.

On the other hand, I hope every day that The Resistance becomes a thing and fires up people from a grassroots level, just like the Tea Party did, but a logical, empathetic, rational and knowledge-relishing, science-embracing, resistance/party.

I fear the only way to achieve this is to let the GOP and Dump hang themselves by royally fucking over tens of millions in this country. It has to get much worse for all the apathetic dipshits who couldn't be made to vote to actually get motivated to vote next time. Sad but true.

I don't know how you do it, but I guess I'm glad you're around. If I talk to too many people like me for too long I'd just kill myself.

Having a positive perspective is comforting.

PM me if you need anything. I'm also an optimist.

The goal moving forward is hardcore game theory. It's gross, but we need to accept that certain bad things are inevitable, and then turn such things to political advantage. There should never be a day for the next 2 years that the GOP or Trump is allowed to have a good headline. You know you've got shit to talk about; feature a different person who has their healthcare taken away every day. Pull up some corruption. Bait Trump with comments about the popular vote or his approval.

It's time to be pests.

The thing I am depressed about is the kind of damage the GOP will be doing to the environment, international relations, and human rights during those 4 years. Even if we get some kind of miracle scenario in which the Democrats are completely in power by 2020 then they still have to go and pick up the pieces of a mess the Republicans made which takes time. Then if history repeats itself voters will get upset with a lack of progress in their own eyes and throw the Republicans back in power to fuck it all up again.

Foreign relations won't be that bad. World leaders are mostly intelligent people and can understand changes in leadership. People will be icy to Trump for 4 years, but if we get back, they'll call again.

chadskin

@jimsciutto:
Just in: PEOTUS Trump's briefing on #RussiaHacking is over, briefers Comey, Clapper, Rogers & Brennan have left, Trump spokesperson

Now we wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom