• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF MAY 2014 Pick-Up Post!! Show Us Your Gaming Goods + more!

pixlexic

Banned
After months of not pulling the trigger because I could never convince myself that I needed a $3000 laptop I randomly decided to pull the trigger on a MacBook Pro retina 15'' with the dedicated graphics card.

I've been using my late 2012 MacBook air for 18 months for everything. Work, personnel, travel, a little gaming now and then and it's been amazing. It's probably my favourite laptop I ever owned but the 4GB of RAM was not cutting it anymore, especially as I use it to run software demo's for my work.

So I said, "fuck it" and bought the most expensive upgrade I could.

E9bvanC.jpg

yeah its a lot but both my mac book pros lasted me 5 years each.

After months of not pulling the trigger because I could never convince myself that I needed a $3000 laptop I randomly decided to pull the trigger on a MacBook Pro retina 15'' with the dedicated graphics card.

I've been using my late 2012 MacBook air for 18 months for everything. Work, personnel, travel, a little gaming now and then and it's been amazing. It's probably my favourite laptop I ever owned but the 4GB of RAM was not cutting it anymore, especially as I use it to run software demo's for my work.

So I said, "fuck it" and bought the most expensive upgrade I could.

E9bvanC.jpg

How's the fan noise? I'm thinking about getting a new MBP soon myself but my current Macbook always has the fan kick in for even the littlest things like watching YouTube videos and that would honestly be a deal breaker.

Gameboy415

Got a ton of awesome stuff over the last few weeks, and most of it was dirt-cheap!

UYCKOhGl.jpg

-I got all of the Godzilla Blu-Rays and have been watching them one-by-one in anticipation for the new movie this weekend - I'm going to see it in IMAX 3D on Saturday! :)

mnEiHgYl.jpg

-Someone was apparently throwing this out but my uncle salvaged it for me. It doesn't have any of the cords/cables but the keyboard, manual, and box are all in great shape!

PnkRU00l.jpg

-I got this cool retro stuff from eBay and various resale shops. The DKC game is actually a Japan-exclusive GBC version of Donkey Kong Land 3 that has apparently has some exclusive stages! I'm also psyched to have all of the Japanese R.O.B. sets CIB (including R.O.B. himself) now. :)

TvqrXCEl.jpg

-I picked up all of these great XBOX games for $14 total at Disc Replay.

6U5YR3hl.jpg

-Filled in some gaps in my PS2 collection - all of these games were super cheap too!

g9FShUDl.jpg

-I've wanted to check out the first Ar Tonelico for a while now and got this lot for a decent price on eBay. I already got a copy of the Ar Tonelico 2 LE at a flea market a few years back (for only $2!!) but this copy is still sealed!

sgC3PDkl.jpg

-MW3 and SW:TFU2 were dirt cheap at Disc Replay, Tales of Symphonia was only $20 at Target, and the rest were 60% off at Toys R Us.

196OJrsl.jpg

-In my madness, I bought the required number of copies to secure all of the DLC for these games before it becomes inaccessible after 5/20.

9CqL7w5l.jpg

-I finally tracked down reasonably-priced copies of a few DS games I hadn't seen in years and got all of the Wii DDR games for $2 a pop!

Uu6l8hzl.jpg

-I finally got some games for my JP 3DSLL.
Gaist Crusher was apparently developed by Treasure (and was super cheap on Amazon) and Pokemon Tretta Lab was the 2nd to last Pokemon game I needed to have every Pokemon game from the original GB up through 3DS. (I just need the latest Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game at this point)

ignata

This is my first time participating in this. I'm sure you wanted to know that! Hopefully I'm doing it right...

w4TvZib.jpg

First my new physical games of the month, all handheld, and aside from Conception II, all from months past. Got an itch for Pokemon, and figured I'd try the newest one, despite having tried almost every single one of them and never finishing. Heard good things about Shinobi, and it's pretty cheap now. Was never a huge Mario Kart guy, but Mario Kart 8 hype made me go out and get this.

a7hcRaR.jpg

Sure, last month I got Dark Souls II, digitally, on PSN. But still decided I needed the collector's edition. Also decided I needed the original collector's edition, and both guides. These now sit with my copy of Dark Souls Design Works. I haven't decided if I'm going to shell out the money for the Japanese collectors editions.

5nd0nJB.jpg

With the exception of Nier, Cruisin' USA, and Warioland II, I actually owned all these games previously. Moving around caused me to sell off my collection, but despite another potential upcoming move, I'm still steadfast in never, ever doing that again, no matter the trouble of getting my stuff re-located to another place. Ugh. Collecting is fun, re-buying is terrible. Most of my stuff wasn't rare, but I had a few gems that will be hard to get for as cheap as I did originally.

ryr3Wan.jpg

I still had a ton of movies I hadn't upgraded from DVD to Blu-Ray, so I've been working on that, usually just picking up whatever drops below $10 on my Amazon wish list, or drops to a very cheap price. I don't get a lot of physical books, but these History of Nintendo books are amazing. Looking forward to the translation of the third one!

CAD8TQF.jpg

Only clothing of the month, a limited Protomen shirt.

ucJFwvZ.jpg

Here is your boring digital intermission. Hey, Dark Souls II again! I've purchased that game three times. What the hell is wrong with me? Also the latest games themed StoryBundle, NES Remix 2, FTL for iPad, and some Steam games.

Lc3CcwN.jpg

Record Store Day was last month and I did pretty damn well, and all from the comfort of my own home. Thankfully, also without having to rely on ebay. Just a lot of refreshing on the right pages. Most excited about the two game soundtracks. Cannot believe I found Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

WWAy3BD.jpg

Thank you, Rakuten, for making something going for hundreds of dollars on ebay less than $100, including shipping. The entire bit Generations collection for Game Boy Advance. Now I just need a Game Boy Advance! Again, folks, unless things are really bad, don't sell your game collection.

This is my first time participating in this. I'm sure you wanted to know that! Hopefully I'm doing it right...

a7hcRaR.jpg

Sure, last month I got Dark Souls II, digitally, on PSN. But still decided I needed the collector's edition. Also decided I needed the original collector's edition, and both guides. These now sit with my copy of Dark Souls Design Works. I haven't decided if I'm going to shell out the money for the Japanese collectors editions.

ucJFwvZ.jpg

Here is your boring digital intermission. Hey, Dark Souls II again! I've purchased that game three times. What the hell is wrong with me? Also the latest games themed StoryBundle, NES Remix 2, FTL for iPad, and some Steam games.

Nah, I also bought Dark Souls 2 PS3 collectors edition, Steam and the collectors guide. Today I just picked up the Dark Souls Design works (need to post it in here later) :p

Zertez

The tattoo is still to be finished, just need to add some extra shading.

HEKnauKl.jpg
Solid tat especially for the location. Are you going to start shaving/waxing your back hair now? It seems like a waste to cover up detailed work like that with a ton of hair.

9CqL7w5l.jpg

-I finally tracked down reasonably-priced copies of a few DS games I hadn't seen in years and got all of the Wii DDR games for $2 a pop!

Might wanna track down a Euro copy of Bubble Bobble Revolution, the American release has a major game-ending bug where you literally can't progress after world 3. :(

wYTo46f.jpg

God of War Ascension latinoamerican edition mostly for the controller since the ones I have are kinda dying.

A charger for my dsi xl / 3ds.

Got in love with One Piece Pirate Warriors, so I jumped to Dynasty Warriors to see what is all the fuzz about.

And thr best calendar ever! Luffy eternal calendar! <3

Google

How's the fan noise? I'm thinking about getting a new MBP soon myself but my current Macbook always has the fan kick in for even the littlest things like watching YouTube videos and that would honestly be a deal breaker.

The fans seem to have multiple settings so can range from no noise at all to full on Aircraft taking off.

I've not noticed them for simple tasks like Outlook, Chrome, etc. But when I throw on anything that requires CPU and/or graphics it kicks in.

It's not been too different to the volume of my MB air though so I wouldn't worry about it.

What's the concern?

For you, Footie-GAF, my newest kit:

8ea7a329a99425901aa8f784fafb77ce_zps64e2a83c.jpg

Will probably get Ozil for name/number & World Cup patches later. Still need to decide on the player for my US ones.

Vortex566

Solid tat especially for the location. Are you going to start shaving/waxing your back hair now? It seems like a waste to cover up detailed work like that with a ton of hair.

Yeah, the wife will need to give it a trim.

Thanks for compliment. I'm really happy with it.

Smokey

I want one of these so bad. I don't want to get one until they all start having hdmi 2.0 or whatever it's called though. Plus my 7950 wouldn't be able to game at 4k.

I'm concerned my 3GB of VRAM might choke up at 4k, but we'll see. I shouldn't have to use much AA at that resolution, so maybe that will help.

Bond007

Likely my biggest pick up of the year and maybe one of the most emotional pickups ever.
1974 Corvette Stingray.
Been a dream to grab this car all my life. My father always wanted one and pretty much passed that obsession on to me. My first Stingray and hopefully not my last(69 baby). Bye Bye money!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Likely my biggest pick up of the year and maybe one of the most emotional pickups ever.
1974 Corvette Stingray.
Been a dream to grab this car all my life. My father always wanted one and pretty much passed that obsession on to me. My first Stingray and hopefully not my last(69 baby). Bye Bye money!

I'm not a car guy, but that is fucking sweet! Congrats!

1974 Corvette Stingray.

Great story man, enjoy it. Looks great

TheGamer

1974 Corvette Stingray.

Congrats on the pick up and welcome to the Corvette club. I love corvettes and I'm still waiting until I can find/afford a 63 split back window. Remember to wave to other Vette owners, that's what I love best about having a corvette; it's the vette community.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Joined the PC club this month with pretty much my dream build.

i7 4770k @ 4.2GHz
MSI Z97 MPower board
16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro
500gb Samsung Evo
MSI 780 Lightning
NZXT H440 case
Corsair H100i
Asus VG248QE monitor (not pictured)
Windows 8.1 Pro

This thing flies. I haven't built a new desktop in years, I'm trying stuff out and everything just looks incredible maxed out.

Forsete

Joining the SUPERIOR PC master race. Jelly jet?

With this monster rig I will be able to ENJOY everything at 4K and 60fps minimum. Jelly now?

9JVdDrJ.jpg

zVJoQBR.jpg

Kidding ofc! Eventually it will replace my HTPC, but right now I am enjoying it as my desktop compudah, because it is whisper quiet and just as fast as my regular rig at Windows stuff. Boots in about 10 seconds, so ever bettar! :D

Edit: Haha, awesome thelatestmodel.. Two PC builds within minutes. :p

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
this one cost me quite a bit but i knocked off some rare games off the list

NES: Felix the Cat, Big Nose the Caveman
felixthecaveman_zps58d3e617.jpg

NES: Chubby Cherub, Conan
chubbyconan_zps24932cbf.jpg

NES: Codename Viper, Crash N the Boys Street Challenge
codenamecrashntheboys_zpseb75f4ae.jpg

NES: Silent Assault, Vindicators
silentvindicators_zps70b679f9.jpg

NES: Night Shade, Castle of Dragon
nightdragon_zps1642597d.jpg

Laieon

1974 Corvette Stingray.

Looks pretty sweet man, congrats! How hard is it to drive? I've always felt like cars that have front ends that long would take awhile to get used to, but it's probably because all the vehicles I've ever driven have been SUVs, Mini-Vans, or cars with short front ends.

Last week's pickups. finally getting around to posting. Awesome 3DS games (really surprised by kirby and yoshi, i thought they would be shit) And an awesome headset. I can talk softly at night and my friend can still hear me perfectly on PS4.

This week I'm saving my budget for Wolfenstein and Transistor. Also going to a swap meet/flea market for the first time ever. Hoping to find some NES games.

I got really lucky at a goodwill and found all this stuff as they were bringing it out from the back to sell. Game boy games were $2 ea, SP and DS were $7, and the controllers were $3.
Unfortunately I don't have nostalgia for Pokemon so its getting sold, and the SP IS a 101 brighter model but it has a dead pixel.

Kilvin

f3qZZtl.jpg

Hi folks, long time lurker here who just discovered his account has been approved. After almost two years of lurking I thought it would be appropriate to make my first post in a thread that has given me hours upon hours of enjoyment.

So thank you guys for continuing to share your amazing pick-ups, I love living vicariously through you.

My pick-up comes from earlier this month when I made a trip up to Toronto. I've long wanted to play the Lunar series so I couldn't pass up this used copy I found for a good price. So far I have put 8 hours in and it is everything I'd hoped it'd be. The graphic novels were a great price too.

x3sphere

Awesome! How does everything scale on there gaming wise?

So far so good! I've played mostly FPS on it so far - BF4, Crysis 3, L4D. All of them worked out of the box with minor FOV tweaking. I'd imagine some older games will give me trouble, but that's fine.

21:9 is so immersive - I would go with this over a 4K monitor, higher resolution is great and all - but at the end of the day it feels like an incremental upgrade. 21:9 on the other hand is a completely different experience and you won't want to go back IMO.

Naite

The 2TB is to upgrade my PS4, the 1TB is to backup my PC, and the Nexus 5 is to replace my old phone that doesn't work on my new carrier. Wanted to get the One Plus One, but I couldn't wait for when they become available.

Saroyan

I got some new upgrade parts for my PC this week, I didn't really need an upgrade but I feel like I've had my i7-930 forever and I got the itch. Also not pictured is a Fractal Define R4 case, hoping for a very quiet gaming rig when done. I'll be swapping over my GTX 580 for now, still waiting on a GPU upgrade.

Jobbs

Banned
1974 Corvette Stingray.

Oh, jeez. That is beautiful. Hope it came with a pussy umbrella. XD

lem0n

Replaced my old Vizio 42'' LCD with this AMAZING Sanyo 55'' LED. It may not be the best I can buy but I'm so happy with the upgrade in size/looks/quality... My new PS4 looks amazing on it! BF4 is beautiful.

Oh, and don't mind the dirty PC racing rig behind the box. I know most of you would be like "uh, what the hell is a car seat doing in the house?" lol

jXOxwsU.jpg

Top Bottom