• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fifa 11 [Xbox 360] Old Timers League

sneaky77

League Sign Ups are now closed

WC Schedule/ Standings
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...jN4V2RHZFpZbjY1TkQ5RUE&hl=en&authkey=CPnvj7QG

Round Robin games due Dec 19th

This will be a WC style tournament so pick International teams.
Teams chosen have to be MAX 4*
You may draft now (in order)..

iron-chef.jpg

Code:
 gaf name                    gamertag                     team
1.  ShallNoiseUpon      ShallNoiseUpon              Sweden
2.  Awesome Animals  Awesome Animals          Cameroon
3.  Magicked               Magicked               Belgium
4.  AndresON77           AndresON77             Czech Republic
5. atf487                    atf487              Australia
6. sneaky77               sneaky77                    Mexico
7. Astrolad                Astrothelad           Ireland
8.  StrikeVillain          StrikeVillain          usa
9. slizz                      DemKillerCanes    norway 
10.  tf53                    tf53                     Finland
11. jeffpm                 jmcel                 Greece
12  k0ji                     tse88                 Best Korea
13. ShogunPain         ShogunPain        Denmark
14. Menelaus             Ragnar Lodbrock    Switzerland
15. The Visualizer      The Visualizer      Scotland
16. ijm72                  younghov72        Ecuador

Code:
[b]Rules[/b]

1. Don't be an ass, no goal kick poaching style bs.
2. 7 minute halves
3. Semi Assisted controls. Set the match to semi. I will check on the online leagues if there is a way to set it for default league match.
4. Passing Assistance Off. Normal Speed.
5. Home team is responsible for entering the result.
6. The result should be posted in this thread with this format:
    Week and teams in bold
    Score
    Goal Scorers.
    You can do a little write up, not required.
7. I will post the schedule as we go. In the thread and current games to be played will be also posted in the OP.
8. Have fun. Be Active. Play your games.

Tf53

k0ji-wd said:
I'm in, I'll take one of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Spain or Chelsea thanks!
I'm out.

I'll try to arrange some flexibility to my gaming schedule. Can we start in a couple of weeks so I don't suck as bad? :(

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
My first thought was you were referring to us old GAFfers whose reflexes have faded with our advanced age. :lol

Slizz

I'm in

GT: DemKillerCanes

I'll rock with Newcastle

EDIT: I'll look at the full list of 3 1/2 * teams, but so far I kinda like Newcastle

I didn't play last season, but I played the year before. Philly Union are only ranked 2 stars? Hmm, I'll have to find a good niche team.

GT: StriKeVillain

Magicked

I'm in. I think I've played all the seasons with you guys since 09?

Magicked:magicked

Need to give some thought to my team before I decide. Good choice going with 3.5 stars.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
cool I remembered my password, but yeah I'm in.

GT: AndresON777

don't use 3.5 star teams so I'll check when I get home dude.

I think Hercules is 3.5 stars, if so I'll take them

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
can't they be 3.5 or below? i thought the only reason for the 3.5 was to keep people from picking superteams but maybe there's another reason....

shoplifter

I think Columbus is *** - I didn't call them because I assumed you would take them. If you don't want them, I'll be happy to take them. :)

edit: GBS is a 79. Totally laughed my ass off when I saw him at 79, and no one else above 70 or so. Mendoza *might* be a 71.

Magicked

shoplifter said:
I think Columbus is *** - I didn't call them because I assumed you would take them. If you don't want them, I'll be happy to take them. :)

edit: GBS is a 79. Totally laughed my ass off when I saw him at 79, and no one else above 70 or so. Mendoza *might* be a 71.

Hmm, tempting then. I'm not going to call them though until I take a full look.

Mendoza seems to be pretty good, which is odd. Every time I've seen him play he's been shit.

shoplifter

He's clearly a step up from our other forwards, seems to have much better awareness and is always trying to pressure and get near the net. I like him. Play him and Renteria up top and tear shit up. :D

Magicked

shoplifter said:
He's clearly a step up from our other forwards, seems to have much better awareness and is always trying to pressure and get near the net. I like him. Play him and Renteria up top and tear shit up. :D

This makes me sad because Warzycha is too stupid to do this...

I've not seen Mendoza play recently (been out of town the past few games), so he probably much better than when he first started. I just remember seeing how woefully left-footed he was during the Joe Public CCL match (I think that was the one).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Slizz said:
BOO. It should be fair and balanced™
:lol I honestly don't think there will be many (any?) teams that more than one person wants. Helps to have the star limit b/c you don't have then ten people going NOMG I want Arsenal.

I dunno how sneaky feels, but I definitely want to encourage new people to join up. The only problem we've had in the past is that 5 or so people would sign up with clearly no intention of actually being committed to playing. They wouldn't post in the thread, and they'd have to be hunted down to get their games played. And then they'd disappear and I'd have to go around begging trying to find substitutes for their flakey asses. This is where it turns into a job and I felt like a boss telling people to get their shit done b/c they're holding everyone back. Not fun. Or they were Europeans that could only play in the morning. Or some such shit.

But if you're not any of those then you'll be in for a fun experience. We've had some great leagues in the past going back to Winning Eleven 9.

LiveWire

Count me in. Gamertag: DJ Demon J

Where's there a list of 3 1/2 star teams?

Found this on some forum, not sure how accurate:

Arsenal
4.5* - 82 - 81 - 78

Aston Villa
4.5* - 79 - 81 - 77

Birmingham City
4* - 76 - 76 - 75

Blackburn Rovers
4* - 74- 73 - 74

Blackpool
2.5* - 67 - 67 - 66

Bolton Wanderers
4* - 76 - 74 - 73

Chelsea
5* - 83 - 82 - 80

Everton
4.5* - 79 - 77 - 77

Fulham
4* - 76 - 75 - 75

Liverpool
4.5* - 81 - 80 - 79

Manchester City
5* - 84 - 81 - 79

Manchester United
5* - 83 - 82 - 81

Newcastle United
3.5* - 71 - 73 - 72

Stoke City
3.5* - 74 - 71 - 71

Sunderland
4* 78 - 75 - 71

Tottenham Hotspur
4.5* - 80 - 80 - 76

West Brom
3.5* - 70 - 69 - 79

West Ham
4* - 75 - 75 - 73

Wigan Athletic
3.5* - 73 - 73 - 73

Wolves
3.5* - 73 - 72 - 69

This is just Premier League of course, not sure what league we're going to be selecting or if we're allowed to play any team anywhere?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
This is just Premier League of course, not sure what league we're going to be selecting or if we're allowed to play any team anywhere?
Pretty sure it's going to be teams from anywhere 3.5 or less. Sort of a Not Quite Champions League. Up to 12 already and I know there are a lot of reliable faces in here so pretty good start.

Other question is how we want to do it. We could do a standard league table where everyone plays each other twice. Or the AMERO regular season + playoffs. Or anything really. (unless sneaks already had something in mind)

shoplifter

I'd prefer a table, myself. If we go blended, I'd like to see a seeded round robin or something. Maybe a single round robin Hex if there are 12 or two four team groups if there are 16.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
shoplifter said:
I'd prefer a table, myself. If we go blended, I'd like to see a seeded round robin or something. Maybe a single round robin Hex if there are 12 or two four team groups if there are 16.
That would be cool. I agree that I don't really like one-and-done playoffs, which is why most tournaments and leagues I run I try to do them at least two-loss or 2/3. I do like the playoff element though because it spices things up a bit. We did vanilla table last year and it was OK but I never really got that into it.

One thing I've always wanted to do is to have relegation and the like, keep all people really invested. I think we'd need more to do that though but it's an idea I've tossed around. You could start as 16, then split 8/8, then have bottom two and top two fight for relegation and promotion. Probably do no playoffs in that setup. Or maybe just do a concurrent cup or something.

shoplifter

Yeah, if we had enough people who would stick with it over more than one season, pro/rel would be pretty awesome. It wouldn't work out quite as well as in real life due to the lack of economics, etc., but it'd be pretty cool regardless.

If you had 24 you could easily do it with two D2 tables with three clubs promoted (the table winners and a playoff of the second place teams). You could even make the 6th D1 team play the D2 playoff team, winner goes/stays in D1.

Magicked

Yes! A relegation/promotion league would be totally awesome! We'd probably have to play an 16 team intro tournament with group stages. The 8 teams that make it out would be in league 1, while the 8 who didn't would be in league 2.

Magicked

Also, here is a list of all 3.5 star teams and lower for some of the major leagues (and MLS).

England - PL
Blackpool - 3
Bolton - 3.5
Newcastle - 3.5
Stoke - 3.5
Sunderland - 3.5
West Brom - 3.5
Wigan - 3.5
Wolves - 3.5

Germany - Bundesliga
Kaiserslautern - 3
Koln - 3.5
Nurnberg - 3
Mainz - 3.5
Hoffenheim - 3.5
Gladbach - 3.5
Frankfurt - 3.5
St. Pauli - 3
Hannover - 3.5
Freiburg - 3

France - Ligue 1
Auxerre - 3.5
Arles Avignon - 3
Monaco - 3.5
ASNL - 3
Lorient - 3.5
Montpellier - 3.5
Nice - 3.5
Lens - 3
Caen - 3
Sochaux - 3
Stade Rennais - 3.5
Stade Brestois - 2.5
Toulouse - 3.5
Valenciennes - 3
Saint-Etienne - 3.5

MLS
Everyone is 2.5 or lower

Spain
Osasuna - 3.5
Hercules - 3.5
Levante - 3.5
Malaga - 3.5
Racing Santander - 3.5
Deportivo - 3.5
Espanyol - 3.5
Mallorca - 3.5
Sociedad - 3.5
Sporting - 3.5
Zaragoza - 3.5
Almeria - 3.5

Scotland
Celtic and Rangers are both 3.5

Italy
Cesena - 3
Bari - 3.5
Bologna - 3
Brescia - 3
Cagliari - 3.5
Catania - 3.5
Chievo - 3.5
Lecce - 3
Parma - 3.5
Udinese - 3.5

AndresON777

shooting blanks
ok did some research i'll actually take Santos from Brazil.

Id like no playoffs :D

Up for them though

im always online for some friendlies too

sneaky77

My idea is regular table, everyone plays everyone twice and then playoffs at the end.

I thought of 3.5 star teams, cause they shoulnt be as awful as really low teams, and everyone will have the same star rating.. also, I probably will come up with a list of teams from not the major leagues. We all probably play enough 5 star ranked teams online as it is. Figured it would be something different.

League should start in a week or so, I will try to post the list of teams tonight, since I will off this weekend.
There will be a draft order.

sneaky77

Magicked said:
Yes! A relegation/promotion league would be totally awesome! We'd probably have to play an 16 team intro tournament with group stages. The 8 teams that make it out would be in league 1, while the 8 who didn't would be in league 2.

That would be cool, lets just see first how this goes.

sneaky77

AstroLad said:
if it's not a specific league why limit it?

For fun, lol.. I figured using less known leagues may be more fun. If people disagree then we can have it your way, like burger king.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
:lol yeah i don't have a real preference either way since the only team that's even close to "my" team is red bulls anyway

ATF487

Can I join? I know you said 10-12 but the more the merrier, right?

GT: ATF360

I'd play as any team
but would take Celtic first

sneaky77

Welcome to the league ATF.

Astro.. you are on the clock.

Since I will be away this weekend, please select teams in an orderly fashion. Send me a pm with your team choice... when is your turn!!

sneaky77

AstroLad said:
can we post the team choice in here so people know who the remaining teams are

yeah, of course... I was just saying also send me the pm's so I can organize it easier since I will be gone 3 days..

Please post your teams in the thread!!! (I thought that was clear, sorry)

Top Bottom